• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gps Map

thusithasam

Question

Dear Frienda,

Any body know where can I get the GPS Map(SriLanka).I am going to buy 2 DIN DVD player with GPS.There is a SD card reader for GPS Maps.it is reyal good player.How about the custom in sri lanka like this kind of DVD+GPS players.Any body have any idia about this 2 DIN DVD+GPS player.Can I use this in sri lanka.

thanks,

Edited by thusithasam

24 answers to this question

I'm not sure if the GPS system will work in Sri Lanka,

If its compatible with Garmin maps perhaps you can obtain some from these people

Technnovators (PVT) Ltd11, 14th Lane, Colombo 03, Sri Lanka

tel 94 1575 808 fax 1 577375 Mr P. Wijayatilake

There are many sources of maps with GPS data available but whether it is compatible with your system can only be found by contacting your system's manufacturer

I do believe its GPS is outlawed in SL. Or am I thinking of something else? Coz if it is, I'm thinking Dialog SatNav thingy will also have to shut down.

Yup U are right – TRC does not allow to bring GPS phones – I know it does not make sense but after all this is Banana republic.

The Sat Nav – have to check on that – did’nt pop in to my mind till u posed it mmmmmm

OK guys the best part is YES the Sat Nav is been sold - there’s a nice story behind how IWS has got the approval from TRC & MOD (All legal methods) but ……. crazy man just simple crazy

Edited by mazdaspeed

Yup U are right – TRC does not allow to bring GPS phones – I know it does not make sense but after all this is Banana republic.

The Sat Nav – have to check on that – did’nt pop in to my mind till u posed it mmmmmm

OK guys the best part is YES the Sat Nav is been sold - there’s a nice story behind how IWS has got the approval from TRC & MOD (All legal methods) but ……. crazy man just simple crazy

Are these GPS maps compatible with any of the major software programs? And what sorta prices are we talking about for GPS maps? Do any of those Sat Nav units that come with cars (factory fitted ones) work in SL? I thought all the units on Jap imports just showed a blank screen since it wouldnt have maps for Sri Lanka.

i thought it was dialog who came up with SatNav. if so why does IWS need to get permission from TRC & MOD? is this for their Motorola phones? and why don't you share the story with us sounds interesting

Yep true! i ran into serious trouble with authorities when i tried to import a GPS enabled Nokia N82. but the funny thing it's available in every mobile phone sales outlets in Sri Lanka. so much for the laws. so what i did was get down a external GPS Device (Bluetooth GPS - Garmin) through a friend. it works nicely with Google maps (Satellite mode)

Edited by Ruslan

i thought it was dialog who came up with SatNav. if so why does IWS need to get permission from TRC & MOD? is this for their Motorola phones? and why don't you share the story with us sounds interesting

Special offer. Free SatNav with every Porsche you buy. At least, that was the offer at the last motor show.

On the subject of GPS- would there be an issue if I try and get a Garmin watch down through Amazon?

Yeah machan, ,My phone was imported through DHL. They (Custom officers) ask me to get the license from TRC and Import export control board to clear the item from Customs. thing is there is some circulation issued by Defence ministry saying some issues regarding Importing GPS devices (Including GPS enabled cellphones). best thing is to hand delivered by some one, rather than importing through couriers.

Edited by Ruslan

Ruslan,Your GPS phone is working in SL? Where do you get the map?How can put it in to the phone.That 2DIN DVD player+GPS unit has SD card port for GPS map.

Yeah, its working. Nokia N95, N82 or whatever GPS enabled Device should work in Sri Lanka.. problem comes when accessing maps for them. so far i used Google maps ( This works For most of the Symbian Phones, But that doesn't include Road maps of Sri Lanka, only the Satellite view just like Google earth)

Edited by Ruslan

Yeah machan, ,My phone was imported through DHL. They (Custom officers) ask me to get the license from TRC and Import export control board to clear the item from Customs. thing is there is some circulation issued by Defence ministry saying some issues regarding Importing GPS devices (Including GPS enabled cellphones). best thing is to hand delivered by some one, rather than importing through couriers.

thanks for the reply dude

Hi,

I had a GPS enabled phone on me during my recent visit to SL. Nobody asked me any questions on my arrival at the Air Port. It was fun locating where you were and on one trip we had left it on and it told us how far we had travelled the altitude etc.etc.! Then on a visit to a well known gadget mall in Colombo I saw the very same phone for sale! So what is legal?

Maithri.

P.S. To the customs men I brought it back to the UK on my return!

Hi,

I had a GPS enabled phone on me during my recent visit to SL. Nobody asked me any questions on my arrival at the Air Port. It was fun locating where you were and on one trip we had left it on and it told us how far we had travelled the altitude etc.etc.! Then on a visit to a well known gadget mall in Colombo I saw the very same phone for sale! So what is legal?

Maithri.

P.S. To the customs men I brought it back to the UK on my return!

That's the exact point I'm talking. it's illegal only to "ship" (Import) into Sri Lanka. but it's available across the country, that's the funny part. even my Garmin Bluetooth GPS device was carried through the airport by my friend from Singapore. so when you courier the thing from another country, that's where the questions start to ask by the authorities?? typical Authority behavior in Sri Lanka :violent-smiley-030:

That's the exact point I'm talking. it's illegal only to "ship" (Import) into Sri Lanka. but it's available across the country, that's the funny part. even my Garmin Bluetooth GPS device was carried through the airport by my friend from Singapore. so when you courier the thing from another country, that's where the questions start to ask by the authorities?? typical Authority behavior in Sri Lanka :violent-smiley-030:

As absurd as it sounds, this has always been the practice. Every mobile device needs a license from the TRC to be sold and operated in SL and this includes non GPS telecommunication devices. I remember when I used to work for a local bank we brought down a GSM Modem to test our banks SMS update facility (customers can chose to get sms updates from the bank about their account status, when it gets overdrawn etc or when payments are due) and this device got held up at the customs and they insisted we get a licence from the TRC before it is released. this took a couple of weeks and it was finally released. It was a very small device and a lot of hassle !

Are these GPS maps compatible with any of the major software programs? And what sorta prices are we talking about for GPS maps? Do any of those Sat Nav units that come with cars (factory fitted ones) work in SL? I thought all the units on Jap imports just showed a blank screen since it wouldnt have maps for Sri Lanka.

I highly doubt it Maliths- They use a unit and the maps are locked in some way which works only with the unit they provide. U needs to purchase the maps (regions) - not all areas are covered anyway

As absurd as it sounds, this has always been the practice. Every mobile device needs a license from the TRC to be sold and operated in SL and this includes non GPS telecommunication devices. I remember when I used to work for a local bank we brought down a GSM Modem to test our banks SMS update facility (customers can chose to get sms updates from the bank about their account status, when it gets overdrawn etc or when payments are due) and this device got held up at the customs and they insisted we get a licence from the TRC before it is released. this took a couple of weeks and it was finally released. It was a very small device and a lot of hassle !

GSM modems are indeed illegal and using them is a crime in this country :) Thats why it was not allowed. They can be used for many things not just sms'ing- hence the restrictions, which are very fair.

you boys got it all wrong. my understanding of the rule is you CAN import GPS enabled mobile phones but you need to obtain a license from the TRC. it's just like you need license and permission from MOD to import firearms. only thing is its bit too difficult to get permission form MOD to import firearms compared to getting the license from the TRC to import the GPS phones. people who bring down mobile phones to be sold to the mass already got this license hence they have no issue.

on the matter of you personal bringing not been scrutinized at the airport, well imagine the hassle both the passenger and the customs officer will go through if all your belongings are thoroughly inspected upon your arrival. it's simply not practical. unfortunate it is this very loop hole that is used to smuggle more dangerous stuff than a GPS enabled mobile phone to the country.

Guys,

I did not mean to hide my phone from the customs, it is such a common item in the hands of almost every one and almost all the foreign tourist who arrive in SL a little information somewhere in the air port, web, in the air craft or something would alert every one that they are about to commit and offence in SL would allow most law abiding people either to declare it or to leave it at home etc.etc.

On another note I think it is a stupid and an un enforceble law and an un-necessary infringement on the liberty of the general man on the street.

How ever in a country full of stupid politiciens from all sides a stupid law is not a surprise.

Maithri

Guys,

I did not mean to hide my phone from the customs, it is such a common item in the hands of almost every one and almost all the foreign tourist who arrive in SL a little information somewhere in the air port, web, in the air craft or something would alert every one that they are about to commit and offence in SL would allow most law abiding people either to declare it or to leave it at home etc.etc.

On another note I think it is a stupid and an un enforceble law and an un-necessary infringement on the liberty of the general man on the street.

How ever in a country full of stupid politiciens from all sides a stupid law is not a surprise.

Maithri

Maithri, sorry if i offended you with my earlier comments. that truly wasn't my intention. what i meant is people smuggle illegal things like narcotics and firearms just by posing as ordinary passengers and hiding the goods in their luggage. Plus there's no ban on GPS enabled mobile phones its just that the '7-11 night manager' would like to keep a tab on the individuals bringing in this sort of technology. just like the newly implemented law to carry an identity card for the sim card ones using.

with all these barriers in place i wonder why its taking such a long time for the authorities to arrest anyone atleast remotely associated to the latest assassinations and bombings????

BTW i know you so i wouldn't take a cheap shot like that

HI,

Light hearted comment guys, I do not have enough exposure, or knowledge of the violence in SL to really know what is necessary to protect the general public! I will not preach from the comfort of my home in England. That would be an insult to those who genuinely lay their lives on the line for for our country, to safeguard all who live in it and love it.

I have only the highest respect and regard for them and would not dream of endangering any one of them!

So as the English saying goes, "if the cap fits...."

Maithri