• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Radiator Damage

chamath

Question

20 answers to this question

Hi,

the radior has a small crack near the cap and the coolant is leaking slowly. is it possible to weld it and use for a long time. I heard that replacing a radiator is much costly. its a nissan fb15. anyone have done this before? waiting for an advice.

Thanks

i suppose you can if the material is hardy enough to "accept" a weld..

bit of epoxy too can sort minor matter imo..

a recon radiator will be less than 10 grand.

me too havin sam issue....i chckd a radiator at RADIATOR H**SE for my eg...they said it'l cost 12k....and they gv 2 years warranty for da core.....is it too much?or shud i replace with a recon 1?wht da best option?

Edited by 2F2F

i too had a minor radiator issue...

busted the hose once and needed a cap replacement too since the rubber seal was damaged...

the replacement cap i got in a hurry was of higher pressure rating...

the motor was kept cooled but the top part of the radiator body where it fits into the core was developing a small leak...

assume this was due to high pressure in the system so now even after getting the right cap..the leak is still there...

planning on using 2 part epoxy to seal the bugger :)

i too had a minor radiator issue...

busted the hose once and needed a cap replacement too since the rubber seal was damaged...

the replacement cap i got in a hurry was of higher pressure rating...

the motor was kept cooled but the top part of the radiator body where it fits into the core was developing a small leak...

assume this was due to high pressure in the system so now even after getting the right cap..the leak is still there...

planning on using 2 part epoxy to seal the bugger :)

if the leak is on a metal area it can easily be welded. Most radiator places can do small repairs and will usually use copper or lead to weld it. Using epoxy will also work but im not too sure of how long it will last cos thermoset polymers are not too good with high temperature and might not last for a long time. I have used various epoxy resins on various engine bits in the past but they tend to peel off after a while cos of the high temperatures.

if the leak is on a metal area it can easily be welded. Most radiator places can do small repairs and will usually use copper or lead to weld it. Using epoxy will also work but im not too sure of how long it will last cos thermoset polymers are not too good with high temperature and might not last for a long time. I have used various epoxy resins on various engine bits in the past but they tend to peel off after a while cos of the high temperatures.

If it’s a metal radiator u got – u’re Ok as it can be welded as other uses have said. However plastic ones are tricky – they tend to give a way. If that’s the case best look at going for a recon or getting a radiator done in metal which is much better and can be fixed easily.

There’s a small place just be for u come to Jubili junc on the left hand if ur coming through nugegod area – hope it helps if it's close to where u live, else it's radiator house in Darly Road

Hi,

the radior has a small crack near the cap and the coolant is leaking slowly. is it possible to weld it and use for a long time. I heard that replacing a radiator is much costly. its a nissan fb15. anyone have done this before? waiting for an advice.

Thanks

As far as I know the FB15 has a plastic top/cover radiator. You dont have to change the whole unit- all you need to do is go to Pannchikawatte and find a brand new cover which can be found easily at places like Pione*r motors. Then take it to a decent radiator joint and they will do the rest- which usually means removing th whole unit, cleaning it and replacing the cover. At the sametime get the thermostat checked as sometimes these leaks develop due to pressure problems.

As far as I know the FB15 has a plastic top/cover radiator. You dont have to change the whole unit- all you need to do is go to Pannchikawatte and find a brand new cover which can be found easily at places like Pione*r motors. Then take it to a decent radiator joint and they will do the rest- which usually means removing th whole unit, cleaning it and replacing the cover. At the sametime get the thermostat checked as sometimes these leaks develop due to pressure problems.

Yes it got a Plastic top & Pila’s advice is the best sensible thing to do. Failing you could get a recon radiator (if you’re lucky you could run few more years with that or may be few km’s. no guarantee on that) or get a copper from a place like Radiator H. (good quality two core and better than the standard but the finish is not that good)

Hi,

Thanks

At the present FB15 used radiator price is 18,500/= without fans, with fans 20,000/= AE100, AE110 radiator price is 6000/= without fans.

Edited by Nilantha

Hi,

Thanks

Had the same issue with my P11.. small cracks appeared all over the plastic cover. Tried the Araldite treatment but was temporary. (1 month). Took the radiator to CT Li0nel just near New Olympia Cinema near the Maradana Bridge... they cleaned the core, and replaced the plastic cover with a metal cover.... been almost a year and no problems since then. Spent only 6k with a 2 year warranty. Good work, and came highly recommended.

Took two days though... that was the only problem I had.

BTW I have a pic of the job too if you guys want to check it out.

At the present FB15 used radiator price is 18,500/= without fans, with fans 20,000/= AE100, AE110 radiator price is 6000/= without fans.

Hi Chamath, this might be the easiest solution to your problem: sell the FB15 with the radiator problem and go for a AE 100/110 with a radiator problem. But on the bright side, you would be saving 6000-12000 by getting the AE radiator repaired!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, heard that the plastic top cover radiators are designed so that the plastic would crack if there is a problem attracting attention of the user thus preventing damage to other vital parts. With a full metal radiator however, any overheating problems might go unnoticed for a while thus risking further damage. This was the opinion of some radiator guys and mechanics.

So what’s your recommendation??? Fix an AE radiator to the FB??? <_<

The AE100 was made from 93-97. The FB15 was made from 98 onwards. Would you like a prize for brilliantly proving that the older car with older technology has cheaper parts?

Thanks all for your advice. Ya it has plastic top cover. temporary done with eproxy. :rolleyes:

Elvis_Pil, do you know any place that only replace new plastic cover with 2 cores(as you have suggested)?

think now I have sevaral options. good help. But Derrick certainly not your solution. :violent-smiley-030:

Thanks all for your advice. Ya it has plastic top cover. temporary done with eproxy. :rolleyes:

Elvis_Pil, do you know any place that only replace new plastic cover with 2 cores(as you have suggested)?

think now I have sevaral options. good help. But Derrick certainly not your solution. :violent-smiley-030:

I think VVTI's suggestion is the most cost effective one :) to have the plastic cover replaced with a metal one.

But while doing that you need to investigate why the plastic cover split in the first place. Its possible your cooling system is not as efficient as it should be and probable causes are sludge in the radiator and lines (a radiator flush should take care of this), a faulty thermostatic valve or a problem with the water pump ... amongst others. So while getting your radiator repaired check those things out as well.