• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Brand New Car Under 3 Million

streetKIA

Hey guys I need your help. I was thinking of buying a car recently that's brand new and one that would be good on fuel. My budget is 3 million and so far all I could come up with is the Suzuki Swift, Kia Rio and Hyundai Accent. I think the Swift costs 2.7 million but I have no idea how much the other two would cost.

Would there be any other brand new cars under my budget as well?

Edited by streetKIA

Yeah, the Proton Gen2 and Savvy. The Perodua Viva and whatever else they are selling these days. I think the Grand Punto is over that price, but there might be other Fiats. Maybe the new Mini? The Renaults and Pugs possibly. Not to discount our own Micros. However, I'd avoid that MX7 sedan. As much as I would like to promote our local brand, the finish on that MX7 leaves a lot to be desired.

How much is the SX4? I've never checked that.

Best bet for the brand new prices is to get the latest MotorMag.

Its a bit disappointing not to see more Japanese models in this price bracket !

From the suggestions I personally think the new Swift is your best option, cos its actually quite a good car ! Its a pity you can't get a decent sedan in that price bracket.

I think there might be models of the Lancer, Corolla (perhaps the 1.3L version) and Tida falling in to this category as well ?

I would personally avoid the Accent, not because its Korean, but it was made for a budget minded customer and does not seem to have been put together very well. I've seen Korean cars with much better build quality, like the Kia Ceed and even the New Hyundai i series.

The Grande punto would have been a very nice buy though I think though it was possible to offer a base model at this price bracket, the agents seem to have tried to make the care more up market (I'm quoting you, GTAm over here ) which I myself think is a mistake cos its a main stream car ! and should be aimed at the main stream buyer.

From the suggestions I personally think the new Swift is your best option, cos its actually quite a good car ! Its a pity you can't get a decent sedan in that price bracket.

I think there might be models of the Lancer, Corolla (perhaps the 1.3L version) and Tida falling in to this category as well ?

I would personally avoid the Accent, not because its Korean, but it was made for a budget minded customer and does not seem to have been put together very well. I've seen Korean cars with much better build quality, like the Kia Ceed and even the New Hyundai i series.

The Grande punto would have been a very nice buy though I think though it was possible to offer a base model at this price bracket, the agents seem to have tried to make the care more up market (I'm quoting you, GTAm over here ) which I myself think is a mistake cos its a main stream car ! and should be aimed at the main stream buyer.

Don, How much is the Grand Punto in here anyway? That's a lovely car for a hatch.. Nice design :rolleyes:

Depressing. Checking the brand new prices, the only new cars under 3 mill are the Malays (Proton and Perodua) Lankan Micros, and a few Indian and Chinese. And the Fiat Panda, like GTAm said. Even the Koreans are over 3 mill, the new Accent and the Ceed which are the cheapest Koreans listed.

Edited by Pericles

Lancer 1.3 - 3.75

Corolla 1.3 - 3.285

Tiida 1.5 - 5.3!

Which leaves the Liana 1.3 and the Swifts

Tho pls note, these are all June prices

Ah, and the SX4 is 3.9 on this.

Don it is very very dissappointing that we have to spend so much on a half decent car. Most folk will have no choice but to settle for Chinese or Indian.

Btw I just learned that there are now two agents for Fiat. Browns have just secured a non exclusive agency.

Brand new car prices are just insane. I remember 8 years ago, a brand new civic was 1.8million.

Well I found out that both the Indian and Japanese swift is out of stock. The new Rio would've been nice but its out of my budget and there's a 4 month waiting list. So basically that leaves me with just the Panda and Hyundai i-10. The i-10 is Indian assembled and costs 2.4m. Does anyone know anything about the Fiat Panda?

Brand new car prices are just insane. I remember 8 years ago, a brand new civic was 1.8million.

Well I found out that both the Indian and Japanese swift is out of stock. The new Rio would've been nice but its out of my budget and there's a 4 month waiting list. So basically that leaves me with just the Panda and Hyundai i-10. The i-10 is Indian assembled and costs 2.4m. Does anyone know anything about the Fiat Panda?

No. You also have the Protons and Peroduas. The Gen2 will probably be the only brand new sedan in your budget.

And I'm pretty sure folks, if this CEPA deal with India gonna succeed, guess we can see so many Marutis on the roads as brand new cars. Anyone knows whether Toyota lanka bringing down 1.8 Liter version of the New Corolla? couple of people told me that new one with 1.6 is very bad on fuel :unsure:

Edited by Ruslan

The Pug 207 is over 4m :blink: ! The Fiat Panda is 2.7m. Accent is over 3m but new i10 might be cheap.

Is this the base model panda for 2.7m? I've seen pics of it online and apparently it has black bumpers and doesn't have power windows. Kind of a big drawback for that kind of money.

No. You also have the Protons and Peroduas. The Gen2 will probably be the only brand new sedan in your budget.

I'm definitely not a big fan of Perodua. I really don't mind the Gen2 though. Any idea as to how much it costs?

Is this the base model panda for 2.7m? I've seen pics of it online and apparently it has black bumpers and doesn't have power windows. Kind of a big drawback for that kind of money.

I'm definitely not a big fan of Perodua. I really don't mind the Gen2 though. Any idea as to how much it costs?

1.6 auto is around 2.75 or so. Manual about 100k less. 1.3 even less.

The new model is even supposed to have the CPS in it. Protons VVT tech.

I know the Corolla is a 1.3L and is 200K above your budget, but it might be worth considering.

The i10 is a super mini (so is the panda but its slightly bigger !) ! I'm surprised you can't even get the i30 in this price bracket !

Does anyone know anything about the Fiat Panda?

I drove it. And it felt good. In fact my father almost bought one but backed out at the last moment saying he'll keep the Alfa a bit longer.

This is the 1.2 engine and not the base model. It's got colour coded bumpers. The engine is quite torquey for a small unit and it felt fun to drive. Seems well put together too. The duo logic gearbox is not as smooth as a regular auto but does not sap power like an auto and a couple of friends using Puntos say that its nice once you get used to it. This is an old stock so I think you can bargain a bit and get a good deal. New imports are likely to be much more.

And I'm pretty sure folks, if this CEPA deal with India gonna succeed, guess we can see so many Marutis on the roads as brand new cars. Anyone knows whether Toyota lanka bringing down 1.8 Liter version of the New Corolla? couple of people told me that new one with 1.6 is very bad on fuel :unsure:

Oh don't worry India will force it down our throats and our goverment will have everyone pre-occupied with capturing various LTTE bases and before we know it India will be controlling our economy.

Yep I've heard the same about the new Corolla. Strange. The 1.8 is sure to cost a lot more if they do bring it.

Oh don't worry India will force it down our throats and our goverment will have everyone pre-occupied with capturing various LTTE bases and before we know it India will be controlling our economy.

Yep I've heard the same about the new Corolla. Strange. The 1.8 is sure to cost a lot more if they do bring it.

The fact is India will become, if its not already the manufacturing hub of south Asia. It is the biggest market in our region with the lowest manufacturing costs, and thus we will find more and more auto manufacturers establishing plants there to distribute vehicles to the regions.

Maruti or no Maruti, its inevitable that in the near future most vehicles on our roads will be manufactured in India or china though the vehicles from China would sport Chinese badges ! Chinese law makes it difficult for auto manufacturers to operate out of their long term as a base, as they are required to form joint ventures with chinese companies and pass them technology, which is not going to benefit the current big players in the auto industry long term !

Having a free trade agreement will thus enable us to obtain motor vehicles at a concessionary rate !

Edited by The Don

The fact is India will become, if its not already the manufacturing hub of south Asia. It is the biggest market in our region with the lowest manufacturing costs, and thus we will find more and more auto manufacturers establishing plants there to distribute vehicles to the regions.

Maruti or no Maruti, its inevitable that in the near future most vehicles on our roads will be manufactured in India or china though the vehicles from China would sport Chinese badges ! Chinese law makes it difficult for auto manufacturers to operate out of their long term as a base, as they are required to form joint ventures with chinese companies and pass them technology, which is not going to benefit the current big players in the auto industry long term !

Having a free trade agreement will thus enable us to obtain motor vehicles at a concessionary rate !

Yes its inevitable. But that's partly due to our weak economy. If we had proper policies and lets face it we had a good head start over India to be a great nation but our leaders screwed up. But I'm not talking about cars alone. Having done business with Indians as well as other nationalities I can say that Indians are by far one of the most unethical and partial partners to have. They'll simply milk every cent away from us.

It's a shame that we keep getting weaker and weaker and still continue with wrong policies that play into the hands of a predator like India.

I mean only a few years ago many people could have easily afforded a brand new Japanese or European car in Sri Lanka. As someone mentione a Honda Civic was only 1.8m. Today these same people have no option but to settle for a SMALLER, LOWER QUALITY Indian or Chinese product.

The quality of life has gone down badly with the economy in shambles despite bogus data the government might publish. Therefore we will only be able to stand up by holding India's hand. And India will probably bite our hand off if not our head. If we were stronger by now (the impossible idea that our politicians were competent and TRULY patriotic and the public were a bit far sighted) we would not need to cow down and accept any deal forced down our throats.

Very sad. But we ought to get used to it I guess.

Yes its inevitable. But that's partly due to our weak economy. If we had proper policies and lets face it we had a good head start over India to be a great nation but our leaders screwed up. But I'm not talking about cars alone. Having done business with Indians as well as other nationalities I can say that Indians are by far one of the most unethical and partial partners to have. They'll simply milk every cent away from us.

It's a shame that we keep getting weaker and weaker and still continue with wrong policies that play into the hands of a predator like India.

I mean only a few years ago many people could have easily afforded a brand new Japanese or European car in Sri Lanka. As someone mentione a Honda Civic was only 1.8m. Today these same people have no option but to settle for a SMALLER, LOWER QUALITY Indian or Chinese product.

The quality of life has gone down badly with the economy in shambles despite bogus data the government might publish. Therefore we will only be able to stand up by holding India's hand. And India will probably bite our hand off if not our head. If we were stronger by now (the impossible idea that our politicians were competent and TRULY patriotic and the public were a bit far sighted) we would not need to cow down and accept any deal forced down our throats.

Very sad. But we ought to get used to it I guess.

Yes it is very sad. We've worked ourselves to a position where cannot bargain on anything. I mean I was studying the recent Georgian crisis, and looking beyond the activities on the field, what is clear to see is Russia under Putin has put behind a lot of their economic woes which they inherited from the collapse of the Soviet union. True their approach could be seen heavy handed by some and there are concerns over domestic freedoms and human rights but the fact is they have paid back all of their IMF loans, the state is helping a lot of businesses re establish themselves, and Europe is dependent on their gas ! This is what patriotic, nationalistic, intelligent and foresighted politicians can achieve.

Ours are too bothered with appearances ! Fact is nobody needs to play the electorate, if they do a decent job the votes will follow.

As for trade partnerships, I do not think the chinese are much better, I mean I'm sure you are aware what the chinese automoive companies are doing, as they launch their own model lines using technology they received from their foreign partners as part of joint ventures. Its not very ethical but I have a feeling the chinese will get to where the Koreans are at the moment in about 1/3 of the time it took them, thanks to all the short cuts they have taken !

As for trade partnerships, I do not think the chinese are much better, I mean I'm sure you are aware what the chinese automoive companies are doing, as they launch their own model lines using technology they received from their foreign partners as part of joint ventures. Its not very ethical but I have a feeling the chinese will get to where the Koreans are at the moment in about 1/3 of the time it took them, thanks to all the short cuts they have taken !

Oh for sure. They don't know how to spell the word "Ethic". We Sri Lankans are a lot better in that aspect. It's scary to see what monstosities they'll produce and we'll be forced to buy them!

Btw have you noticed how fast Hyundai is growing? Phenomenal. They've overtaken Honda as the 5th largest!