• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The Big Jump

Gummybr

I might regret it in the long run but, for my betterment I jumped from a 1970's car to a 1990's car.

My old ride still takes the garage till its sold so had to put up a shed temporarily to accomodate the new baby. Its not flashy but yet it takes me from point A to B, so no worries.

dsc00646vd0.th.jpg

dsc00647my7.th.jpg

dsc00648ja5.th.jpg

dsc00651xx2.th.jpg

This is one of those assembled in Sri Lanka, therefore the new number.

I might regret it in the long run but, for my betterment I jumped from a 1970's car to a 1990's car.

My old ride still takes the garage till its sold so had to put up a shed temporarily to accomodate the new baby. Its not flashy but yet it takes me from point A to B, so no worries.

Many congrats gummy.... best of luck with her :)

would you mind sharing some details about the operation? im sure a lot of people here are going to be interested.... and how does the car feel overall?

Well as far as I know the SC has given the ok for them to register the vehicles.

There were some pending cases but it has all gone well for them.

If you're getting it straight from them it'll cost you about 1.25mil, I bought mine from a friend of mine who bought the vehicle last year and spent the most of the year trying to get registration sorted out. I didnt want to go through all that hassle and settled for his vehicle. Its got alloys and remote centre locking and a CD Player so its got value for money in that sense.

It was quite nice to drive but found it boring after being used to the Manual Stick.

Pros would be dependability, ease of getting parts and the resale thingy + you get a new number.

Cons would be it'll be just another Corolla, very low unlike its other competitors (Sunny and Lancer etc...) plus its a real bore to drive until you get used to the auto transmission.

Well as far as I know the SC has given the ok for them to register the vehicles.

There were some pending cases but it has all gone well for them.

If you're getting it straight from them it'll cost you about 1.25mil, I bought mine from a friend of mine who bought the vehicle last year and spent the most of the year trying to get registration sorted out. I didnt want to go through all that hassle and settled for his vehicle. Its got alloys and remote centre locking and a CD Player so its got value for money in that sense.

It was quite nice to drive but found it boring after being used to the Manual Stick.

Pros would be dependability, ease of getting parts and the resale thingy + you get a new number.

Cons would be it'll be just another Corolla, very low unlike its other competitors (Sunny and Lancer etc...) plus its a real bore to drive until you get used to the auto transmission.

Congrats , My personal opinion you took the right decision compared to sunny & lancer ( no offence )

i got a 1995 corrolla as my first car ( company car ) , very reliable ,

it was never boring for me( it was a 1500 Auto ) , i used to hit 120kms on the Auto second ( try down shifting) & it was running 185/70/13 tires & the handling was very good specially when the surface was uneven . still it used to give about 9 -10km/ltr in city

as you said the only problem is it is too low( specially with 4 people in the car , i still miss the good old 110 ( when we sold it it had 230,000kms if i'm not mistaken )

anyway have fun,cheers

Congrats on your purchase Gummybr!!

I've taken a close look on a Corolla 110 & a Carina Si which came out from the same plant & they looked really good visually. Didn't get a chance to drive either one.

One of my friends visited the yard yesterday & said there is a heap of vehicles lying to be assembled. I'll try to make it over to the plant this saturday.

The same time the guy i met with the Carina Si mentioned that there is an issue with the registration & running these vehicles with the temporary numbers....

Good choice as well as good decision. Try to use genuine engine oil, oil and air filter on 110 u can take extra fuel mileage. Definitely.

Congrats Gummybear !

I'm sure the new owner of your Lancer will also be lucky to own such a well maintained car in original condition !

Thanks Don,

Actually am waiting for a suitable owner for the Lancer now. Its still being used as a weekend transport until its sold

• 1 month later...

dsc00646vd0.th.jpg

dsc00647my7.th.jpg

dsc00648ja5.th.jpg

dsc00651xx2.th.jpg

is this assembled down in SL. where is the plant? Can you give me the contact details?

Hey ...nice buy mate! Enjoy!

MINIACE

congrats gummy, hope you've seen the project and how the cars being assembled. This is completely from a safety point of view and its the only worry or fear factor some ppl have on assembled cars. Do they assure the air bags functionality 'n all? however this is a nice machine and nice buy. BTW what will happen to the old lancer? any pics ?

So the factory is back in operation huh

So will the 2000cc and 1600cc cap on diesel and petrol engines apply to vehicles assembled from this organization as well? If so the Carina Si will end up costing a ton isn’t it? What about that 30% of the assembled pieces should be locally manufactured law?

I would like to post one question for the people who talked so passionately about the local car industry in the other thread. What are your guys views on the impact this sort of assembly plants have on someone like micro? If the government is to encourage the local car industry is it fair to allow such assembly plants to operate? (for a minute lets make the assumption that the government do give two hoots about encouraging local industries)

So will the 2000cc and 1600cc cap on diesel and petrol engines apply to vehicles assembled from this organization as well? If so the Carina Si will end up costing a ton isn’t it? What about that 30% of the assembled pieces should be locally manufactured law?

I would like to post one question for the people who talked so passionately about the local car industry in the other thread. What are your guys views on the impact this sort of assembly plants have on someone like micro? If the government is to encourage the local car industry is it fair to allow such assembly plants to operate? (for a minute lets make the assumption that the government do give two hoots about encouraging local industries)

They have been building cars for sometime. I bought mine from a friend of mine. I'll post some pics of old Lancer later

Since it falls under category of local manifacture & local sale of vehicles the above should apply to them as well. It will be end of the sale of those cool Toyata Hilux Surf's.

However this organization seems to be using a loop hole in the current legal system. This is why there is a waiting list for registrations.

Met a guy who owns a Carina Si who is still in the queue for registration.

congrats gummy, hope you've seen the project and how the cars being assembled. This is completely from a safety point of view and its the only worry or fear factor some ppl have on assembled cars. Do they assure the air bags functionality 'n all? however this is a nice machine and nice buy. BTW what will happen to the old lancer? any pics ?

i still love your old lancer