• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Abandoned Cars ?

ferrarif50

Please don't buy it if thats all you can afford and you're only going to do tinkering, it will be wasted on you.

That's not what I've said. I would rather spend and resurrect a car like this than spend 5 mil on a crappy corolla.

Edited by SeanD
  • Like 4

That's not what I've said. I would rather spend and resurrect a car like this than spend 5 mil on a crappy corolla.

good on you mate!,.... not many ppl see that side of the equation. personally im not that into british oldies meself, but still.

nope it's a datsun 240Z.

yep...unfortunately it's at the temple and there's little chance of rescuing it. all the bits are there but the interior is slowly deteriorating

there are quite a few nice cars there...

yep...unfortunately it's at the temple and there's little chance of rescuing it. all the bits are there but the interior is slowly deteriorating

there are quite a few nice cars there...

pls ignore my ignorance on the matter, but whats the story behind all these cars at the temple?

pls ignore my ignorance on the matter, but whats the story behind all these cars at the temple?

cars are at gangaramaya temple. from what i heard...the chief monk used to be a mechanic before taking up the robes. And he was running a mechanical training school kinda thing at the premises. Sri Jinarathana auto mechanic school if my memory serves me right.

All the cars that are there have been donated to this school by their previous owners hence the temple can't part with them.

By the looks of it, the school is no longer functioning cos most of the cars if not all are slowly crumbling to the ground.

apart from classic japs, there are euros and a pontiac too i think

what a waste man they can get rid of them to car lover than just keep them there

any more pics of those cars there?

cars are at gangaramaya temple. from what i heard...the chief monk used to be a mechanic before taking up the robes. And he was running a mechanical training school kinda thing at the premises. Sri Jinarathana auto mechanic school if my memory serves me right.

All the cars that are there have been donated to this school by their previous owners hence the temple can't part with them.

By the looks of it, the school is no longer functioning cos most of the cars if not all are slowly crumbling to the ground.

this is a very sad story only chance they ever been restored is if they start restoring them or they re-donate them to people who love them and take care them the chances are any of that can happen is slim to none

sadly one day those beautiful classic cars slowly collapse to the ground and become ruins. :(

That the official story? From what I remember (discussed in the early stages of this very thread I think) was it not the Chief Monk's father or uncle who ran a garage near there, and the cars belonging to the temple trustees taken in for repairs and never returned?

what do you mean never returned?

That the official story? From what I remember (discussed in the early stages of this very thread I think) was it not the Chief Monk's father or uncle who ran a garage near there, and the cars belonging to the temple trustees taken in for repairs and never returned?

what do you mean never returned?

I quote from Devinda_Z's post on another thread. (Whatever happened to him anyway?)

é story i heard about how é cars came to be in é temple goes like this....

supposedly é Ven. Loku hamuduruwo around é 1950~1970's had a brother who was a mechanic.. (or later é present priest who's father is Mechanic)...

so when é daayakayás of the temple needed thier cars repaired ,é Priest would suggest n at time push that é repairs be given to his brother to handle..

é end result being that some of é owners had simply given up hope over time of getting thier cars back as it would be rather odd to go asking é temple back for é vehicles...

oddly enough they hadnt botherd with avarage cars é Daayakaya's had but rather taken to asking for é more "special" ones...

But now they're in the process of restoring all the cars one by one...

PLEASE NOTE ALL THIS IS INFORMATION SHARED BY AN INDIVIDUAL IN THE AUTOMOTIVE AND CLASSIC CAR SCENE & NOT MY OWN,so i relinquish all responsibility for any inacuracies with regards to all afore mentioned!

• 5 months later...

You are absolutely right, Sam, it's a Ford Prefect. And it's probably a 107E Prefect. See the dogleg chrome strip on the front mudguard. This was the 100E body shell but using the Ford Anglia 105E motor/4-speed gearbox package. have driven these and they were quite a nice little package. Ford marketed the 107E to the more traditional buyer who didn't like the radical raked rear screen on the 105E. Good pick up there, Sam.

You are absolutely right, Sam, it's a Ford Prefect. And it's probably a 107E Prefect. See the dogleg chrome strip on the front mudguard. This was the 100E body shell but using the Ford Anglia 105E motor/4-speed gearbox package. have driven these and they were quite a nice little package. Ford marketed the 107E to the more traditional buyer who didn't like the radical raked rear screen on the 105E. Good pick up there, Sam.

Thanks Sccoty. In this Ford Prefect Model - Four Door version came with front grill with vertical lines and two door version came with front grill with horizontal lines. We had a one (2 Sri 8228) in 1980 -1983. As I remember it had three forward gear box. However I saw it again in 2005 at Narammala and had resorted up to brand new condition. No modifications. Only colour change, balck to dark blue and superb painting work with excellent chrome parts. Present owner must be a great car enthusiast. :)

Whats this car? looks like a burnt Cefiro?

Yeah look like it had caught fire... wonder how the front tyre survived though.

By the way, there's a car graveyard sort of place on the Hokandara - Kottawa road and I saw some oldies rotted away. Has anyone else spotted the place? Will try to snap a photo or two. It's inside a land and it looks like it's occupied by a bunch of people, so I was not too comfortable about stepping inside.