• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Abandoned Cars ?

ferrarif50

• 5 months later...
one car avaialble in sri lanka, not sure if there any more but have seen one in SL

That car was up for sale sometime back like a year ago. (if i remember right) it was advetise here in AL classifieds

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I've noticed this set of car since a very long time. Clearly seen when travelling by bus from Pitakotte towards Ethul Kotte. Everyone is acting as if the vehicles were hidden and discovered when they were actually rotting away out in the open where everyone can see.

What a waste of cars. :(

I've noticed this set of car since a very long time. Clearly seen when travelling by bus from Pitakotte towards Ethul Kotte. Everyone is acting as if the vehicles were hidden and discovered when they were actually rotting away out in the open where everyone can see.

Was wondering why don't they auctioned it off (Obviously not those Armoured Vehicles), if so they (Govt.) could earn a buck and these vehicles wouldn't be in this pathetic situation.

Was wondering why don't they auctioned it off (Obviously not those Armoured Vehicles), if so they (Govt.) could earn a buck and these vehicles wouldn't be in this pathetic situation.

This not a new story. It is the same with every govt department. I live close to a ministerial complex and get to see so many vehicles left out in the open like this. Only difference this time is that they were (ab)using more number of vehicles and so the numbers wasted are also high. There are lot of red tapes when it comes to auction govt properties (does not apply to items confiscated by the Customs). They may be waiting for the vehicle to rust down to scrap, so that they can sell them for scrap. Of course the govt can earn a buck by auctioning them as vehicles but those involved in the transaction can make better bucks when they are sold as scrap! What a waste of tax payers money!

Edited by Rumesh88

Sigh, I guess when they get new models, the older ones get abandoned. This is the issue when you do not have a proper procument process for the government, who will aquire but also dispose of vehicles.

There is another lot of vehicles rusting at the Police park in Nugegoda, close to where I live. They have been there for over 2 years now, and there are a couple vehicles that can be salvaged and used including Defenders. The same can be said for the vehicles above. They should just be auctioned off.

I see no issues releasing bullet proof vehicles to the public. Those who want them can already import them.

What annoys me is the quality of journalism spreading rumours etc as if they have made a massive discovery! Don't listen to the rumour mongers!

Edited by The Don

Some of these cars are beyond salvage. Repairing them would be far more expensive. If you look at it, most of the cars barring the E65 are pre 2000 models, such as the E38s and the W140s, all from CBK times I Suppose. and that RR is a 300- car. SO I am of the opinion that they while being costly to the tax payer may have been far more to repair.

When I used to frequent Prestige during my BMW days, used to see most these cars come for massive repairs amounting to 7 figure sums. So I suppose replacing them after their useful life is more economical. I believe that the media is over reacting and sensationalizing too much now. This car park was not a secret to anyone in the neighborhood.

Don, seriously,why would you want to drive around in a 5 ton bullet proof 6.0l V12 powered car in Sri Lanka?? LOL

Some of these cars are beyond salvage. Repairing them would be far more expensive. If you look at it, most of the cars barring the E65 are pre 2000 models, such as the E38s and the W140s, all from CBK times I Suppose. and that RR is a 300- car. SO I am of the opinion that they while being costly to the tax payer may have been far more to repair.

When I used to frequent Prestige during my BMW days, used to see most these cars come for massive repairs amounting to 7 figure sums. So I suppose replacing them after their useful life is more economical. I believe that the media is over reacting and sensationalizing too much now. This car park was not a secret to anyone in the neighborhood.

Don, seriously,why would you want to drive around in a 5 ton bullet proof 6.0l V12 powered car in Sri Lanka?? LOL

Thing is most people believe what pops up in their tv screens or on mobiles without thinking twice about the validity of the news and think that the information being fed to them is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Sad thing about this is the fact that the ability to move masses from one direction to another by simply trolling with their news feeds. So no wonder media is doing this. More the shit you feed fatter the pigs get!

I think those E38's looks similar to the ones which former defense secretary got bombed.

Once myself one of my friends went to see a E34 at a car sale few years back without knowing it was a bulletproof one which was used by late Mr. Lalith Athuladmudali. That car had a full glass on all doors which could not be lowered :)

Edited by pug306xsi

i travel infront of this every day but never noticed. got to know the exact location today though.

These journalist donkeys don't know the difference between PITAKOTTE and ETHULKOTTE... how can we expect them to know the difference between a usable and a discarded car?

This yard is in ethul kotte, right opposite food city. Pitakotte is 2km away:-)

Lol, yes like every performance car is a Lamborghini and Truck is called as Canter.

While the media is giving the impression that these are all work of the last government, for the record some of these cars date back to the 80s/JR's era including one that was gifted to him. Most of the bulletproof vehicles were given to senior cabinet ministers in the 90s, and the black Merc from Chandrika's fleet. The last govt. too did bring in armoured cars for the forces heads and president (not ministers). I wouldn't blame any govt as it was a need for the times we lived in. Wouldnt touch any of these cars even if salveageble - the maintainance as someone else has stated hear would easily hit the seven figures on a regular basis.