• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Abandoned Cars ?

ferrarif50

You'd be surprised. cars like this have a massive following worldwide and that of course means that parts backup is pretty good. Several suppliers in the UK stock full lines of both NOS and remanufactured parts for most of the popular brit sports cars. As long as you can get the parts down from there, you are properly sorted!

The Drive shaft,suspension, steering,masterpump,gearbox etc are all there and is usable machan.I just took all the bits off to do the paint on the chasis.But there are still some small items missing or un-repairable.Except for a few select items,like the ignition coil,looking for parts for this car in SL is somewhat pointless unless another collector is willing to sell or share.So as Supra said you have to bring them down from the UK,France or the States.There are quite a few companies that carry parts for this and other British makes.Moss Motors, Rimmer Brothers etc etc...

I see, wow. By the sound of it there seems to be a lot of coordination and planning involved. No wonder you wanted to wait on it a bit...

Supra_Natural, MasterDon, I wish I could say that I'm going to jump on the resto-wagon as well. I wish I could start on a restoration project or start work on a kit car as well, but unfortunately I don't have the ability to do so at this time. I'm gonna have to live vicariously through you folk instead, so post pictures of your projects and keep us updated please ! :D

Edited by Kavvz

Just looked it up. Quite a cool looking ride as well...I just noticed you've got both these cars on your signature. Does that mean your have the third from you signature ( a MGA 1500? ) kicking around the place too?

He does indeed, along with many more including, of all things, a Citroen 2CV!

MD has a very cool collection of wheels machan.

• Like 1

Just looked it up. Quite a cool looking ride as well...I just noticed you've got both these cars on your signature. Does that mean your have the third from you signature ( a MGA 1500? ) kicking around the place too?

Yes machan.A gorgeous blacky with chromed wire wheels.Almost a daily runner. :)

Jx85o.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 3

Gosh thats a real beauty dude,cant believe you use it daily ,how does it cope with the traffic here,do you find the steering hard? do you get down parts from the UK or can you buy in Colombo as well?

Yes machan.A gorgeous blacky with chromed wire wheels.Almost a daily runner. :)

Gosh thats a real beauty dude,cant believe you use it daily ,how does it cope with the traffic here,do you find the steering hard? do you get down parts from the UK or can you buy in Colombo as well?

Well for this MG most of the mechanical parts can be had here,cos most are interchangeble with other british cars of the same era,others have to be imported yes.

Its not too bad in traffic.Ofcourse the clutch and steering are heavy and the gearbox can be a bit clunky sometimes.It drinks petrol in huge gulps.The heat from the engine comes straight in to the cockpit and bakes my testicles,And it smells of unburnt petrol all the time...But I barely notice those faults anymore because driving it is one of the very few things that truly makes me happy and glad to be alive.

the right headlight on that is not the same as the left :D

On the Borgward yeah?...No machan the headlight itself is the same.The outer chrome ring on the left one must have fallen off.

Jx85o.jpg

A gorgeous blacky with chromed wire wheels.

That she is! That is one beautiful car MasterDon. Personally I think the bug-eyed TR2 you're currently restoring is going to be the looker out of the three, but hey that's just splitting hairs.

You're a lucky bugger to drive around in contentment like you do every day. Good on you. I'll raise a glass to that bit of motoring happiness anyday.

• Like 1

Is this car a worthwhile buy for tinkering, at 325,000?

http://autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=73055

For soon that will be all most of us can afford. I am just curious as I don't know anything about old Mercs, but wouldn't mind getting my hands on one

with that registration it'd be a worthy classic. check and see first if spares are easy to come by. Would even work as a daily runner compared to other cars of similar vintage.

personally I wouldn't mind putting one of these with cast iron number plates in an office car park among econoboxes :)

with that registration it'd be a worthy classic. check and see first if spares are easy to come by. Would even work as a daily runner compared to other cars of similar vintage.

personally I wouldn't mind putting one of these with cast iron number plates in an office car park among econoboxes :)

Ditto. I'd love to get my hands on a similar diesel :D

For soon that will be all most of us can afford. I am just curious as I don't know anything about old Mercs, but wouldn't mind getting my hands on one

I agree with JadeyBlitzen: I'd do it if the spares were plentiful and affordable. Its certainly a beauty worth resurrecting... Hope it works out for you.

• 1 month later...

The story behind the abandoned BMW 5 Series:

Apparently the owner of this car is some big shot at a reputable insurance company in Sri Lanka and went there were some discrepancies with regards to their assets and so on, the owner had taken off the engine off the car and dumped it in this land which also belonged to the so called "insurance company".

A recent photo I managed to capture. (This time I didnt even bother to erase the plates :D)

dsc00855cy.th.jpg

What I saw a few days ago...

dsc00857mj.th.jpg

The security said that a truck came and took the car away and thats all they know. All I wish is that someone gets that car back on its wheels and not turn it into scrap metal.

Edited by Davy

Please don't buy it if thats all you can afford and you're only going to do tinkering, it will be wasted on you.