• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Abandoned Cars ?

ferrarif50

Could be a car that was goin to be repoed...I know of another instance where a foreign guy bought three of the very same car as above, the Bank later found em all on logs. Wouldn't be surprised if was by the same guy actually, some Korean chap who had fled the country.

Can we apply the maritime law here...?? if found on common ground, finders keepers..? just thinking.. :sarcastic_hand:

bit OT...

re: maritime law

I've been told that the law is such if you're dead in the water and accept a tow from another boat...if the tow rope originated from the other boat, they can claim ownership to your boat. :D

So you gotta always carry your own tow rope and make sure to deploy that when in need.

I suspect its been stolen and dumped there where it won't raise questions. Might be worthwhile having the cops see if they can trace the owner, just to make sure it isn't stolen.

Could also be that the owner is showing his ownership of the land for legal reasons. Technically if his car is parked there, then the land isn't unused so people can't go in there and build that shack and later claim the land. Since the car is in his name it would be illegal to move it. I've seen this type of thing happen in a couple of cases. Usually it involves a land owner that's living outside the country.

Edited by jdnet

Could also be that the owner is showing his ownership of the land for legal reasons. Technically is his car is parked there, then the land isn't unused so people can't go in there and build that shack and later claim the land. Since the car is in his name it would be illegal to move it. I've seen this type of thing happen in a couple of cases. Usually it involves a land owner that's living outside the country.

Then that's one awfully expensive "i own this land" board :D

• Like 3

Could also be that the owner is showing his ownership of the land for legal reasons. Technically is his car is parked there, then the land isn't unused so people can't go in there and build that shack and later claim the land. Since the car is in his name it would be illegal to move it. I've seen this type of thing happen in a couple of cases. Usually it involves a land owner that's living outside the country.

Doesn't make sense :speechless-smiley-004: . It would cheaper to keep a full time watcher.

thats a crime to let such a car to the elements

perhaps the owner is dead? or gone abroad?

or maybe the car does not have the proper docs?

whatever it is its a shame!

The first time I saw this BMW like this I went.. "woah...!!!" :blink:

I moved to a new home in Athurugiriya about an year ago and this car has been lying there since then in an empty block of land in the neighbourhood. I believe it has been there for over 2 years now. I don't know who the owner is or why the car is left abandoned. My thinking was that "some people are too stupid enough to realize that the BMW they left to rust is worth so much more to someone else" :(

Sometimes the wild grass in the land grows so high up that the car is barely visible...

dsc00652wd.jpg

But then If you had an old rustbucket in your name and parked it, that would suffice. My uncle is being sent up the gum tree by his neighbours for a similar problem. He's an expat and his land here is being claimed the neighbours. A bit OT but I wish he had done something similar and avoided a coronary!!

What a waste...Any of out Bavarian fans care shed some light on this?

But sometimes man, its just better all around if you let go...I don't profess to understanding women; but as far as cars go man, I figure I'd rather see my car get restored, driven and maintained by an enthusiast rather than rust in my backyard. But that's just hypothesis; what's the story on the car buddy?

To my untrained eye that looks like a Triumph TR2 you've got there- Either way those long swooping fenders and the cabin's low waistline make it one gorgeous car. How come it hasn't been included in any of your restoration efforts to date? What gives?

Good news!...This car is now undergoing a rapid restoration Kavvz. :)

byLz5.jpg

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

Doesn't make sense :speechless-smiley-004: . It would cheaper to keep a full time watcher.

You'd be surprised. There's this one house on darley road. IIRC correctly the parents died without leaving a will. I believe there's two families living in thee house and another brother lives abroad. He parked his car (i think it's a morris minor, not sure) in the premises and asked the others not to touch it. Basically it's been rusting there for a long long time, it almost gone to the stage where it's just a pile of rotted out metal. It hasn't been moved though and he still claims ownership to the property.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone who had enough money to spare would care more about his land than his BMW.

This is just an assumption I'm making based on a few cases. There could be a number of other reasons.

You'd be surprised. There's this one house on darley road. IIRC correctly the parents died without leaving a will. I believe there's two families living in thee house and another brother lives abroad. He parked his car (i think it's a morris minor, not sure) in the premises and asked the others not to touch it. Basically it's been rusting there for a long long time, it almost gone to the stage where it's just a pile of rotted out metal. It hasn't been moved though and he still claims ownership to the property.

If you are talking about that green one (with a Morris badge), It's a genuine MkI or II Mini (never got a close look at it though). One of the very few in Sri Lanka. Anyway it's beyond any kind of possible restoration now. There's a big NOT FOR SALE notice pasted on it.

I've been eyeing that car for years now but didn't want approach the owners because of the NOT FOR SALE notice written in big letters. It's a crime against humanity to let this car rot.

People would rather park a car and let it rot on an unused land due to the fact that land value appreciates more than a car ever would. Considering how messed up land laws and the extent of state sponsored land grabbing (despite the plausible deniability) that happens here, heck if I had the property I would park a car there too if that means that I can still maintain the ownership. A car you can always buy later.

Sometime ago I remember the car park on Sethsiripaya in Battaramulla was a massive car grave yard. Those days when going to school I always stared and sighed at the sight of many cars just rotting away. Again there was a Jaguar XJ parked at Electro Plastics Kotte car park, that got caught to the massive Colombo flood in 88-89 (during the JVP nonsense) that car just rotted away also I think.

The Colombo port also has quite a large collection of unclaimed cars that are rotting away.

• Like 1

Good news!...This car is now undergoing a rapid restoration Kavvz. :)

byLz5.jpg

That's Fantastic! Its dead cool you have the opportunity to do that! We'd you source the engine etc? You'll have to keep us updated on your progress. (Picture diary every so often or something?)

If you are talking about that green one (with a Morris badge), It's a genuine MkI or II Mini (never got a close look at it though). One of the very few in Sri Lanka. Anyway it's beyond any kind of possible restoration now. There's a big NOT FOR SALE notice pasted on it.

I've been eyeing that car for years now but didn't want approach the owners because of the NOT FOR SALE notice written in big letters. It's a crime against humanity to let this car rot.

Yeah I don't think you can restore that car with all the money in the world. There's whole pieces of sheet metal that have rotted away.

That's Fantastic! Its dead cool you have the opportunity to do that! We'd you source the engine etc? You'll have to keep us updated on your progress. (Picture diary every so often or something?)

It had the original engine all along.Its now at Lal & Nihal awaiting a new piston and liner set(+3mm oversize..lol..)...I'll keep you updated :) ...

• Like 1

It had the original engine all along.Its now at Lal & Nihal awaiting a new piston and liner set(+3mm oversize..lol..)...I'll keep you updated :) ...

Nice! But what about all the other bits? Drive shaft, suspension, steering box, brake master pump, etc? Looking at the picture it looks like the drive shaft and suspension is still attached but is everything still usable? Certainly all the rubber lines and any electronics will be gone regardless of whether these components survived or not. Were does one even set about sourcing parts for such a project?

Edited by Kavvz

Nice! But what about all the other bits? Drive shaft, suspension, steering box, brake master pump, etc? Looking at the picture it looks like the drive shaft and suspension is still attached but is everything still usable? Certainly all the rubber lines and any electronics will be gone regardless of whether these components survived or not. Were does one even set about sourcing parts for such a project?

You'd be surprised. cars like this have a massive following worldwide and that of course means that parts backup is pretty good. Several suppliers in the UK stock full lines of both NOS and remanufactured parts for most of the popular brit sports cars. As long as you can get the parts down from there, you are properly sorted!

The first time I saw this BMW like this I went.. "woah...!!!" :blink:

I moved to a new home in Athurugiriya about an year ago and this car has been lying there since then in an empty block of land in the neighbourhood. I believe it has been there for over 2 years now. I don't know who the owner is or why the car is left abandoned. My thinking was that "some people are too stupid enough to realize that the BMW they left to rust is worth so much more to someone else" :(

Sometimes the wild grass in the land grows so high up that the car is barely visible...

dsc00652wd.jpg

What a crime !

There must be a bigtime story behind this.

The Drive shaft,suspension, steering,masterpump,gearbox etc are all there and is usable machan.I just took all the bits off to do the paint on the chasis.But there are still some small items missing or un-repairable.Except for a few select items,like the ignition coil,looking for parts for this car in SL is somewhat pointless unless another collector is willing to sell or share.So as Supra said you have to bring them down from the UK,France or the States.There are quite a few companies that carry parts for this and other British makes.Moss Motors, Rimmer Brothers etc etc...

I would not recommend restoring a car you had to settle for.you'll surely end up loosing interest in it when the going gets tough.Be patient,save up and then go for a vehicle you truly feel passionate about.

hey i found wjat i was looking for.A Datsun 510 :smilie_liebe9:

Edited by NayanaT