• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Solar Panels In Sl

Saturn

Hi guys... anyone know places which bring down solar panels here in SL?

I've always wanted to get myself a small panel... after all, the one damn thing we have here in abundance is SUNLIGHT (and they havent figured a way to tax us for that.. YET)!!

I've always wanted to get myself a small panel... after all, the one damn thing we have here in abundance is SUNLIGHT (and they havent figured a way to tax us for that.. YET)!!

heh heh... you'll never know machang :) politicos always find new ways to "surprise" us...

on those solar panels...have you checked one of those business directory thingies like rainbowpages or something...

you do get quite "odd" stuff listed on those and i'm assuming solar panels will be there :)

heh heh... you'll never know machang :) politicos always find new ways to "surprise" us...

on those solar panels...have you checked one of those business directory thingies like rainbowpages or something...

you do get quite "odd" stuff listed on those and i'm assuming solar panels will be there :)

will do thanks!

from what i understand, converting a whole house to solar would be $30,000++

in one way thats a lot, on the other hand considering I get a monthly bill which is over $100, it seems an interesting possibility.

personally, id love to get a small panel just to experiment with iit and perhaps use for backup system

will do thanks!

in one way thats a lot, on the other hand considering I get a monthly bill which is over $100, it seems an interesting possibility.

personally, id love to get a small panel just to experiment with iit and perhaps use for backup system

http://energy.sourceguides.com/businesses/.../SriLanka.shtml

check the link machang :)

thanks

i spoke to a company called access something

they had some used 40 watt panels for around 20k (25 year warranty, made by BP)

The gentleman i spoketo said that this type of panel generates 12v 3.5a or so

which seems good

this would be a fun way to charge a car battery and power one ortwo 12v lights and a fan when the electricity goes off

if you compare it with a generator, costs are the similar but you dont need fuel for this :)

in theory if one didnt need an AC this just would probably be enough for a single person's power needs

which makes me wanna move to Kandy :)

thanks

i spoke to a company called access something

they had some used 40 watt panels for around 20k (25 year warranty, made by BP)

The gentleman i spoketo said that this type of panel generates 12v 3.5a or so

which seems good

this would be a fun way to charge a car battery and power one ortwo 12v lights and a fan when the electricity goes off

if you compare it with a generator, costs are the similar but you dont need fuel for this :)

in theory if one didnt need an AC this just would probably be enough for a single person's power needs

which makes me wanna move to Kandy :)

I don't understand why the Gov. does not promote the use of Solar power in Colombo and other populated cities when the country is spending so much on producing electricity. Sometime ago when I had interest in installing some panels at home the cost of the panels were so expensive that only the really rich or someone without a electrical connection would want to pay those prices. Some solar powered street lights (between Palewatta & Thalawathugoda) have been installed, but that project also seems to have died after that.

I was told that the cost if because of the Tax on the panels ( everything is taxed to the limit so it did not surprise me). Recenly I was having a chat with a guy from Buththala and they had installled some panels at his home as the chance of electricity coming to his town is so remote, and he mentioned that they spent about Rs 40,000 for the panel, wireing and the battery. This is a big amount for poor farmers to pay even on installment basis.

I think the panels are much cheaper in India and if the Tax is taken away it will be widely used even in Urban Sri Lanka.

Edited by panhida

will do thanks!

Is it financially viable??? If you do the whole house in solar energy, you’ll have to wait for 25 years to cover the cost. But if you use lot of hot water for bathing & things like that, definitely it’s cheaper to use a smaller solar thermal heating system. We use this in one of our offices and it has a big impact on the electricity bill.

Edited by ash

you may contact mr.pushpa at 0772716861. He has got some stuff and u will be able to bargain.

I don't understand why the Gov. does not promote the use of Solar power in Colombo and other populated cities when the country is spending so much on producing electricity. Sometime ago when I had interest in installing some panels at home the cost of the panels were so expensive that only the really rich or someone without a electrical connection would want to pay those prices. Some solar powered street lights (between Palewatta & Thalawathugoda) have been installed, but that project also seems to have died after that.

I was told that the cost if because of the Tax on the panels ( everything is taxed to the limit so it did not surprise me). Recenly I was having a chat with a guy from Buththala and they had installled some panels at his home as the chance of electricity coming to his town is so remote, and he mentioned that they spent about Rs 40,000 for the panel, wireing and the battery. This is a big amount for poor farmers to pay even on installment basis.

I think the panels are much cheaper in India and if the Tax is taken away it will be widely used even in Urban Sri Lanka.

sorry for asking but are you the same "panhinda" whose active on DefenceWire? :)

Saturn: you can find cheaper 12-24V panels (made for outdoor ponds) for around 25$ on ebay. These combined with an old car battery can provide backup/outdoor lighting. Also, famous electronics shop in pettah used to bring down smaller 2.5V (good for LEDs) panels back in the 90s, call them up.. they still might.

for a whole-house application, the price is around 8000$ for a kilowatt. A typical US home needs around 3-4KWHs and thats about a 12-16 year payoff to recoup the money. With the current "green" initiative, there will be more efficient and cheaper models available in the near future.

SL can use smaller panels for micro grids in rural areas like SEEDS is installing

lemme know if u need help sizing, charging, ckts, etc. good luck!

excellent advice! thanks DHP. one thing is the wattage of the cheaper panels is very low.. 40w for 20k is reasonably good value for money

ebay is a good idea though donno how to get them to SL..

wll explore and see what i can come up with!

Edited by Saturn

• 8 years later...

Guys,

Thought of bringing this old thread out of coffin to know the current situation as I'm planning to install a 2kw Grid connected Solar system on my roof. Few companies were checked and i confused bit about the total cost, durability of panels and longevity of the companies. Therefore I decided get updates from you guys as always there should be someone with solar panel experience here for long. So share your experience here to learn more before installation. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Are you planning to get in to the "surya bala sangramaya" thing by the government?

If so, do you know that CEB has so far not paid a single customer for the power they bought off them?

Yes, it's part of "Surya Bala Sangramaya" thing, But my idea is to add an air conditioner with 2kw system and to earn by selling additional power to CEB by so called Net Accounting system. I found one of news paper article after reading your warning about pending payments. 

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/170423/business-times/ceb-delays-payments-for-solar-power-net-accounting-customers-237618.html

Thanks.

Edited by WCW

On 1 July 2008 at 3:08 PM, panhida said:

I think the rason they are not promoting as they should, is because, once homes start generating adequate electricity during sunlight hours to give back to the grid, the whole country will get used to using more and more, but after the sun goes down, the traditional means have to kick in to manage the demand. At present I believe they must be running at maximum capacity during the hours of 6-10.30pm. As we do not have a power storage facility, this would make things harder for the power plants to cope up if demand becomes even higher.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 10:05 PM, WCW said:

Guys,

Thought of bringing this old thread out of coffin to know the current situation as I'm planning to install a 2kw Grid connected Solar system on my roof. Few companies were checked and i confused bit about the total cost, durability of panels and longevity of the companies. Therefore I decided get updates from you guys as always there should be someone with solar panel experience here for long. So share your experience here to learn more before installation. Thanks.

Go for a higher capacity inverter if you can. It'll be easier to upgrade your system in the future if your inverter is capable, just add more panels.

I have 2.7 Kw panels with 4 Kw inverter and I'm thinking to add more panels soon.

2 kw system will barely  produce enough units for 1 12000 BTU air conditioner, everyday/night time use. My advice is to decide how many units you per month you will need additionally considering size and use of your A/C, then ask companies for the cost of suitable system for you. In that way if the system is not producing enough units as intended, you could ask them to add more panels free of charge. Friend of mine got 2panels installed FoC after 1 year because his system failed to deliver what is in the agreement.

My system is designed for 300 units per month and since 2014 it is delivering average about 320 units/month. What I see from advertisements nowadays inverters and panels are much more efficient and market is very competitive so go for the best deal with most efficient inverter/panels.

In 2014 CEB was pretty sure they are not paying a penny for additional units but I get to carry forward my surplus up to 10 years, to any property in my name. However It never occurred to me as my import is always higher than exports.

my advice is go for a reputed company  who can honor the warranty for reasonable time. 

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2017 at 9:23 AM, Quiet said:

There are many places advertising German Inverters and panels. Could that be true?

Most of companies use panels and inverters assembled in China with "German technology". Other companies use Chinese branded products with low cost. Very few reputed companies use genuine German, Norwegian brands and obviously those products are expensive.  

• Like 1

On 5/15/2017 at 9:04 AM, maersk said:

Go for a higher capacity inverter if you can. It'll be easier to upgrade your system in the future if your inverter is capable, just add more panels.

I have 2.7 Kw panels with 4 Kw inverter and I'm thinking to add more panels soon.

Thanks for your inputs.