• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buy Registed Vehicle

thusithasam

Friends,

I am going to buy a registed vehicle.What are the documents I need to get from the woner?And how can i find that vehicle stolen form some one?Before buy that am I need to check about vehicle from RMV? Please advised to me.

Thanks

AFAIK the documents needed to transfer are:

Registration certificate from RMV

Revenue License for current year

Insurance (not essential as you will have to buy one anyway)

Vehicle Identity card (If English numbers)

2 Copies of transfer papers completed & Signed. One to sent to RMV & other is your copy.

Deletion letter if there has been a mortgage/loan/lease.

Check for any special remarks on the registration book. Be carefull if there is any (like "Duplicate", "converted", etc.)

There is nothing much to worry if you are buying from the Registered owner (check NIC). If the adress appear in the registration book is same as the place the owner is living so much the better.

Edited by Tilak

Friends,

I am going to buy a registed vehicle.What are the documents I need to get from the woner?And how can i find that vehicle stolen form some one?Before buy that am I need to check about vehicle from RMV? Please advised to me.

Thanks

good question, how do you check if the vehicle is a stolen one or not???

check the chaiss number and engine number with registration book and check all the book details are mack with vehical(not sutable with conveted vehicals-engine modified,boby modified,replanted vehicals )then check insurance,if still you are not sure take vehical to RMB and check with them,they can find about that

Well you can check the registered owner's information from the RMV and check if the information matches with the book and also the individual who is selling you the car.

I guess the issue becomes complicated if the car is on open papers. I do not know if we have an island wide crime database so a stolen car can be very difficult to verify. I guess if the car is on open papers you can contact the previous owner, and check matters that way or check with the local police station where the previous registered owner lived.

Also as I understand a "bona fide" purchaser is protected by SL law. In a sense if your purchase a stolen car, the person who stole and sold you the car is liable for his actions, but not you as you purchased the car in good faith taking necessary precautions and had no knowledge of the crime.

I am not a lawyer so could somebody comment on this please !

check the chaiss number and engine number with registration book and check all the book details are mack with vehical(not sutable with conveted vehicals-engine modified,boby modified,replanted vehicals )then check insurance,if still you are not sure take vehical to RMB and check with them,they can find about that

its not too hard to forge the registration book isn't it? other than checking the book what else can be done???

Also as I understand a "bona fide" purchaser is protected by SL law. In a sense if your purchase a stolen car, the person who stole and sold you the car is liable for his actions, but not you as you purchased the car in good faith taking necessary precautions and had no knowledge of the crime.

i've heard of stories where people who buy stolen goods from 'kuddas' been charged for purchasing stolen goods and for having stole goods in their possession.

If the vehicle you purchase is currently leased or financed through a financial institution there is a better chance of the vehicle being genuine. But however in the case of open papers the best place for you to check is the insurance company coz the current owner will atleast have a 3rd party cover on it.

very useful post.. any chance admin can sticky this?

Personally, I got my last vehicle with a small lease, mainly so the finance company could handle paperwork and ensure everything is kosher

The tip on insurance co's is a good idea - though how would it work? can you call them and say hey i want to buy vehicle XX-XXXX - do you have it on file

and does it really belong to [name]

would they divulge that info over the phone? privacy concerns?

Edited by Saturn

very useful post.. any chance admin can sticky this?

Personally, I got my last vehicle with a small lease, mainly so the finance company could handle paperwork and ensure everything is kosher

The tip on insurance co's is a good idea - though how would it work? can you call them and say hey i want to buy vehicle XX-XXXX - do you have it on file

and does it really belong to [name]

would they divulge that info over the phone? privacy concerns?

I think you can contact the insurance company and ask if they have a record on the vehicle. What you are trying to verify is whether the vehicle has been stolen or written off at any point in its life.

i've heard of stories where people who buy stolen goods from 'kuddas' been charged for purchasing stolen goods and for having stole goods in their possession.

I'm trying to verify this myself xXx, as this is certainly the case when it comes to property like land. The key word here is "Bona Fide" which is something you have to establish. You might get charged and taken to court but I think the chances are you will be let off if you can prove you purchased the vehicle in good faith.

Point is xXx it if you have made all reasonable inquiries before purchasing the vehicle and it still ends up being stolen due to lack of infrastructure its obviously not equitable to charge such a person with theft. The law is meant to protect the innocent purchaser, and in doing so protect trade in general.

This obviously will not apply if the vehicle was not imported legally, has been altered since import, or is the subject of a customs or criminal inquiry.

I'm trying to verify this myself xXx, as this is certainly the case when it comes to property like land. The key word here is "Bona Fide" which is something you have to establish. You might get charged and taken to court but I think the chances are you will be let off if you can prove you purchased the vehicle in good faith.

Point is xXx it if you have made all reasonable inquiries before purchasing the vehicle and it still ends up being stolen due to lack of infrastructure its obviously not equitable to charge such a person with theft. The law is meant to protect the innocent purchaser, and in doing so protect trade in general.

This obviously will not apply if the vehicle was not imported legally, has been altered since import, or is the subject of a customs or criminal inquiry.

Caveat emptor ?

Caveat emptor ?

No not quite ! but quite close.

I'm not sure what the principle is caused in Latin but its used in British common law and I've only read in the context of property. I recently heard the same principle applies in SL.

What I do not know if it extends to transactions other than property.