• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Permit

thusithasam

Hi Friends, I working abroad from 2000 March. My one of friend said "if you are working more than 5 yeas in abroad you can import a vehicle from Japan. you can get it half of price”. It this correct? what are the documents need for this. If that vehicle valuation is 1.6M in Sri-Lanka,Can I get it 0.8M?Any body know about this please give your ideas

Hi Friends, I working abroad from 2000 March. My one of friend said "if you are working more than 5 yeas in abroad you can import a vehicle from Japan. you can get it half of price”. It this correct? what are the documents need for this. If that vehicle valuation is 1.6M in Sri-Lanka,Can I get it 0.8M?Any body know about this please give your ideas

YEs buddy, there is a permit called BLUE PERMIT !!! i have checked that out but it won't help you that much... Normally you can not import a car older than 3 years but with this blue permit you can import a can which is not older than 5 years. but the customes duty will not be exempted but your FOB value will be less when the car beocming 5 years old. i am not discouraging you but even i tried. Then One of my friends made below points to me. just have a thought about it.

1. you are going to import a vehical which you have not seen oe tested by your self - So the condition of the vehicle could be ????? aftre five years.

2 . All the troubles that you may have to go thru if you are going to clear the vehicle from colombo Port.

3 . Aftre all these things you may save 200,000/- LKR comparing to the market price.

4. if you are buying from the open market you can check the vehicle and do any test dirve or what ever it is for your saisfaction.

These are my personal thoughts and any of you frined have reall import under the blue permit even i would like to hear.

YEs buddy, there is a permit called BLUE PERMIT !!! i have checked that out but it won't help you that much... Normally you can not import a car older than 3 years but with this blue permit you can import a can which is not older than 5 years. but the customes duty will not be exempted but your FOB value will be less when the car beocming 5 years old. i am not discouraging you but even i tried. Then One of my friends made below points to me. just have a thought about it.

1. you are going to import a vehical which you have not seen oe tested by your self - So the condition of the vehicle could be ????? aftre five years.

2 . All the troubles that you may have to go thru if you are going to clear the vehicle from colombo Port.

3 . Aftre all these things you may save 200,000/- LKR comparing to the market price.

4. if you are buying from the open market you can check the vehicle and do any test dirve or what ever it is for your saisfaction.

These are my personal thoughts and any of you frined have reall import under the blue permit even i would like to hear.

[/quote)

Machang, I personally belive this scheme is not much worth to try if you r not familiar with the car importing sector.

I brought a car under this scheme from Japan last year when I came to SL. The total cost incured to me was greater than the market value of the same model same year car in SL in addition to the all the hassle I went through during clearing . In addition to the total tax you have to pay the additional license fee depend on the age of the vehicle u r importing.

they only advantages in a blue permit:

(1) is that you can get a older, better car by selecting which has done less on mileage

(2) tax advantage for year of manufacture

Actually if its a blue permit you MUST import a vehicle at least 6 years older to get its advantage, if you import a vehicle which is 10 years older, as for depreciation, tax value will be much more lesser.

(3) if the car is 0-5 years old from current year its 5% license fee to import export control 5-10 it will be 10%

(4) once you get down the car, the cost will be almost the same, and if you knew where and how to minimize your cost, you can save around 100,000-200,000, and for heavens sake, you may better be known the vehicle imports, or a car sales guy who does imports.

well..wot more can you expect from this government? and while the war is going on??, so shut up and get if you are eligible for it..:D

*and once you register, you can show them, that the CIF was paid by the relative, and money was sent by relative, and its a big gift ;) and if you can show the transactions in order..they wont be able to trouble you...! then or afterwards..

Edited by Kim

I'm also bit interested in this topic few months ago.

I have contacted one agent who does all work tp import vehicles under blue permit said me that corolla 121 can be imported around 2.5 mil (2001 one).

I'm also worry about the condition of those cars.

I'm also bit interested in this topic few months ago.

I have contacted one agent who does all work tp import vehicles under blue permit said me that corolla 121 can be imported around 2.5 mil (2001 one).

I'm also worry about the condition of those cars.

well..the whole idea of a blue permit is that --> where your relative lives in the country where your exporting the car from..SOO..it means, you cannot be worried about the condition of your car logically, as your relative can inspect it, and 'cos he is gifting it, so.. u must be able to make a better selection and get the vehicle down, thats how it works.

Edited by Kim

In my personal opinion its only worth the hassle if you cant to import a "special" car that went out of production over 3.5 years ago and cant import due to our import age restriction.

For a "regular" car its a lot of hassle for a small saving. Would suggest that you pick something up from the local market preferably registered.

There are plenty of cars around that people are stuck with and you should be able to negotiate a good deal.

10,000 permits were used to purchase brand new vehicles which means that those users old vehicles were dumped into the market keeping the price of registered vehicle low compared to importing a used car.

Ex- Registered Nissan N16 - 1.7-1.8 million.

Price of the same model imported today would be approx 3.8 million

Although you would save on duty bringing in an older car, it would be more expensive than a registered vehicle in the local market.

In my personal opinion its only worth the hassle if you cant to import a "special" car that went out of production over 3.5 years ago and cant import due to our import age restriction.

For a "regular" car its a lot of hassle for a small saving. Would suggest that you pick something up from the local market preferably registered.

There are plenty of cars around that people are stuck with and you should be able to negotiate a good deal.

10,000 permits were used to purchase brand new vehicles which means that those users old vehicles were dumped into the market keeping the price of registered vehicle low compared to importing a used car.

Although you would save on duty bringing in an older car, it would be more expensive than a registered vehicle in the local market.

are you sure about the N16 import price now? goodness, thats too much for it.

well..i will put it like this.. if you import a car for the gift permit it would be almost the same or mite even be expensive than a same car in the local market, thats true. but then..u can import a low mileage car in good condition with all the options, and u cant buy the same over in SL? can you??

blue permit didn't give any kind of concession for people who works abroad government made this scheme just to say we give this kind of benefit for srilankan expatriates it cost more than normal import,additional gift tax also icluded on this.only thing if u really want to import a vehicle older than three years that other normal importers can't import(less than 5 years) then it's ok.but good vehicle like nissan sunnyN16 can buy from the local market for Rs.1.7-1.8 Million (dpends on conditon and vehicle colour) it's really worth than importing through bluepermit

are you sure about the N16 import price now? goodness, thats too much for it.

well..i will put it like this.. if you import a car for the gift permit it would be almost the same or mite even be expensive than a same car in the local market, thats true. but then..u can import a low mileage car in good condition with all the options, and u cant buy the same over in SL? can you??

;o) ... I am kind of in the car industry so I have had a close look at this scheme.

Personal choice end of the day I guess

;o) ... I am kind of in the car industry so I have had a close look at this scheme.

Personal choice end of the day I guess

So do the same rules and regs apply to the Green permit (Exchange Earned Scheme - CIE 6).

Do you not get any duty concessions on the Green Permit as well? apart from being able to import a vehicle older than 3.5 years.

On the subject of permits......does anyone know how easy/tough it is to get a "body permit"?

i've been told that it's not being issued anymore but i've also heard that you can state your case to the import/exprt dept and if it's a worthy reason, you will get one... the latter i have only heard.

i've been told that it's not being issued anymore but i've also heard that you can state your case to the import/exprt dept and if it's a worthy reason, you will get one... the latter i have only heard.

Import/export dept? I thought the RMV has to give a certificate?

Can't see. does not work!

problem is this this name banned in the forum somehow, i wrote it again without link it appears same as before

http://www.kbdamar.com/export/special1.html i edited the url as this, letters between www. & .com inverted. correct one should be www.ra.......k.com like that hope you'll got that

Edited by sanjeev

• 2 months later...

okey, thought of sharing some info about this..as i have now already imported a vehicle under this permit, one of my brothers are actually in japan, but we used him only to get the permit, car was chosen, taken from auction and sent down to SL, all were done by a dad's close friends car sale (which is in front of CR&FC grounds)

its a 2002 Allion, it was bit expensiver from japan it self, as for its color(Black), original wheels, and the HDD-TV setup it had, below are the costs that what we had to pay:

Supplier: 13.40

Import & Export department:

Initially: 32000/-

Debiting the Permit: 52,000/- (it was a penalty charge, but dunno why was it, wasnt interested to look in to that, just wanted to

clear the car out soooooooooner, so just paid it off)

TAX: 17.20 (believe me, for the alloys they've taxed 75K, damn!! if i knew that earlier :()

Clearing Agents: 30K

Final Cost: almost 32 lakhs

it was some great hassle getting the TIN's, VAT's and the TAX clearence's and all that..but then, i wont complain..its a superb car with low milage, of course u can buy such a car for around 36-37 but then(as i think), at least we have saved 5 lakhs from this, and thats a quite lot for us ;)

if anybody needs any clarification, i would love to help :) and BTW now they have changed the no. of years old, and now u can import a car which is 10 years older..

okey, thought of sharing some info about this..as i have now already imported a vehicle under this permit, one of my brothers are actually in japan, but we used him only to get the permit, car was chosen, taken from auction and sent down to SL, all were done by a dad's close friends car sale (which is in front of CR&FC grounds)

its a 2002 Allion, it was bit expensiver from japan it self, as for its color(Black), original wheels, and the HDD-TV setup it had, below are the costs that what we had to pay:

Supplier: 13.40

Import & Export department:

Initially: 32000/-

Debiting the Permit: 52,000/- (it was a penalty charge, but dunno why was it, wasnt interested to look in to that, just wanted to

clear the car out soooooooooner, so just paid it off)

TAX: 17.20 (believe me, for the alloys they've taxed 75K, damn!! if i knew that earlier :()

Clearing Agents: 30K

Final Cost: almost 32 lakhs

it was some great hassle getting the TIN's, VAT's and the TAX clearence's and all that..but then, i wont complain..its a superb car with low milage, of course u can buy such a car for around 36-37 but then(as i think), at least we have saved 5 lakhs from this, and thats a quite lot for us ;)

if anybody needs any clarification, i would love to help :) and BTW now they have changed the no. of years old, and now u can import a car which is 10 years older..

What type of permit is this?

this permit comes with transferable restrictions?