• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ban On Motor Car Imports

xXx

Hey lighten up dude. A 400g can of infant milk powder (formula- as it's know in this part of the world) is about $20 here in the US!

In europe around 15 euros (SL Rupees 2475/=). srilanka is getting close ..this is what you called globalisation. :D

Edited by sanjeev

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hehehehe! the same thought that came to my head :D

Man,

this thread rocks... :jumping-smiley-013:

keep it going guys.... oooohhhh booyyyyy :angry-smiley-048:

Banning cars for a year eh? The politicos will kill themselves....now theres an idea....

:D Neither do we live in US! :D

We need to compare general earning levels in Sri Lanka! Not in the US! :rolleyes:

True if you think in that sense. But It still is a lot. For example that money is enough for one person to survive a week.

imagine how the car sales , importers and agents will survive?! :huh:

The way these car sale guys made profits during the last few years I am sure they can manage at least for another ten years, without any business at all! :D

Sri Lanka cannot impose at least a periodic ban on importing motor vehicles. Sri Lanka has to fulfill theWorld Trade Organization (WTO) agreements. If Sri Lanka imposes a ban on importing vehicles it will directly affect Sri Lankan exports, WTO membership and external commercial relations.

So the News is 100% false. That will never happen.

But the truth is there will be an import tax hike soon on vehicles mainly for cars.

Sri Lanka cannot impose at least a periodic ban on importing motor vehicles. Sri Lanka has to fulfill theWorld Trade Organization (WTO) agreements. If Sri Lanka imposes a ban on importing vehicles it will directly affect Sri Lankan exports, WTO membership and external commercial relations.

So the News is 100% false. That will never happen.

But the truth is there will be an import tax hike soon on vehicles mainly for cars.

yeah that makes sense...

Higher tax would curtail import of vehicles by some % and such would reduce the money sent overseas for vehicles at least would be the thought process behind it..

Muchung, Milk is not a luxury! But its a SUPER LUXURY! Talking about milk ...I'll tell you guys how much it is! My daughter is just 7months old..and the docs recommend SMA-2(Gold Edition) which a can of 400grms is Rs:900/=. Well she consumes 7 cans for a month! Rs:5400/= only for milk powder take that! Do you think a government servant could afford this! Bloody Bxxx Sxxx! All of it! And the other infant milk powder competitive brands are also a little less than that but all brands I think are more than Rs:750 bucks per can.

:violent-smiley-099:

Apologies to everybody as this post has nothing to do with cars ! But I still thought its important to say this.

Priya, I had a long thought before posting this, because of the sensitive nature of what I'm about to say, so please take it in that way ! I personally understand a fathers love for a daughter and willingness to do anything to make sure they grow up to be healthy strong adults so this in no way intended to doubt your noble intentions.

But I recently read a number of reports on baby potion especially when used as the main source of nutrition to the baby substituting mothers milk. There is compelling evidence to support the following,

1. A mothers milk contains everything a baby needs during infancy. Indeed the human raise managed 50 000 odd years without any other substance during infancy !.

2. It also contains essential ingredients which strengthen the immune system when young.

3. Its also been found that babies raised predominantly on potion have a higher tendency to develop allergies and this is very clearly seen in developed countries.

So whether your baby needs potion at all is a matter of some debate.

The issue is somewhat political, because the pharmaceutical lobby who produces such products are very influential politically and have systematically tried to under mine the effectiveness of breast milk and tried to sell their products. There was a recent inquiry in to this matter by the watch dog in the UK, as these companies have systematically tried to undermine certain findings, a bit like what the tobacco industry used to do in the 80's.

Secondly our wonderful pediatricians also play in to this ploy as they get various benefits by recommending certain brands when something cheaper would be just as good. I'm sure you are aware of the generic drugs debate.

I am no doctor and no expert on the matter so please do not take my comments as gospel. Just asking you to do a bit of research on the matter and make an informed decision.

yeah that makes sense...

Higher tax would curtail import of vehicles by some % and such would reduce the money sent overseas for vehicles at least would be the thought process behind it..

what is the actual tax percentage for a japanese made normal 1500cc reconditoned petrol car ?? 200% if government increase this further only the government get benefit

Chinthana also plans on bringin down 8 Mercs which are bullet proofed for a cost of LKR21billion or sommat....

It made headlines in the Sunday Leader!!!

The ridiculous aspect of this is the current bullet proof vehicles provide perfectly adequate security !. This is simply to generate income by way of commission and the "show factor"

The issue is somewhat political, because the pharmaceutical lobby who produces such products are very influential politically and have systematically tried to under mine the effectiveness of breast milk and tried to sell their products. There was a recent inquiry in to this matter by the watch dog in the UK, as these companies have systematically tried to undermine certain findings, a bit like what the tobacco industry used to do in the 80's.

Secondly our wonderful pediatricians also play in to this ploy as they get various benefits by recommending certain brands when something cheaper would be just as good. I'm sure you are aware of the generic drugs debate.

i was under the impression that there is a ban of some sorts on advertising of infant formula or medicine for children and the like here...

Ripper?

Edited by Devinda_Z

Chinthana also plans on bringin down 8 Mercs which are bullet proofed for a cost of LKR21billion or sommat....

It made headlines in the Sunday Leader!!!

Maybe they are claymore proff :rolleyes: , people strugling to live and they spending moeny for Mercs, if the government stop these stupid things and stop geting tax for petrol then 1L will cost around 105 to 110 Rs

Maybe they are claymore proff :rolleyes: , people strugling to live and they spending moeny for Mercs, if the government stop these stupid things and stop geting tax for petrol then 1L will cost around 105 to 110 Rs

Twice Claymoremine proof is the new specification for Mercs, It is worthwhile to have first

test drive in Sri Lanka. Why we oppose though fuel consumption is half kilo meter per litre?

i was under the impression that there is a ban of some sorts on advertising of infant formula or medicine for children and the like here...

Ripper?

yep... it think there is.. at least was but folks always find a loop hole in regulations and exploit it...