• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Breaking News

ash

Sri Lanka blocks cricketers visiting Dalai Lama

May 4, 2010 (AFP) - Sri Lanka stopped national cricket captain Kumar Sangakkara and another player from calling on the Dalai Lama out of fear that a meeting would anger China, an official said Tuesday.Sangakkara and former skipper Mahela Jayawardene were advised not to join their Indian Premier League teammates who paid a courtesy call on the Tibetan spiritual leader last month, the official said.

"Kumar and Mahela were instructed not to visit the Tibetan leader. It was a foreign ministry directive that was issued to us, via the sports ministry," Sri Lanka cricket secretary Nishantha Ranatunga told AFP.

Sangakkara was the skipper of the Kings XI Punjab in the just concluded IPL tournament. Local media reported that Jayawardene's wife Christina had, however, joined the team to visit the Tibetan spiritual leader

"We were made to understand that we should not upset relations with China," Ranatunga said.

Sri Lanka, a key Buddhist nation, supports a "one-China" policy and regards Beijing as a key political and military ally.

China regularly protests to countries which allow visits by the Dalai Lama. Beijing sees him as a supporter of independence for Tibet, which it regards as Chinese territory. The Dalai Lama fled into exile in India in 1959.

Beijing has also helped block a resolution censuring Sri Lanka for its handling of the final stages of its war against the Tamil Tiger ##### last year and is a main supplier of small arms to the South Asian nation.

http://lbo.lk/fullstory.php?nid=1135722853

Wonder what people who talk so high of the importance of 'sovereignty' got to say about this????

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://lbo.lk/fullstory.php?nid=1135722853

Wonder what people who talk so high of the importance of 'sovereignty' got to say about this????

well i aint en expert on politics but the whole Tibet issue is quite a sensitive one after us fighting off ltte and their demand for seperate state and also how China helped us in everything from military aid to political support in un security council etc

Beggers can't be choosers and we had to get China in if we wanted to win over ltte since we had little direct international support.

China factor was another key pillar in our victory over ltte so IMHO this is a small price to pay

well i aint en expert on politics but the whole Tibet issue is quite a sensitive one after us fighting off ltte and their demand for seperate state and also how China helped us in everything from military aid to political support in un security council etc

Beggers can't be choosers and we had to get China in if we wanted to win over ltte since we had little direct international support.

China factor was another key pillar in our victory over ltte so IMHO this is a small price to pay

:grinning-smiley-003:

I think your missing xXx's question. I think he's saying if people are complaining about violation of sovereignty by, for example the EU, in exchange for the things they want us to do for getting GSP+, why doesn't it apply when when we have to dance to China's tune for the aid given?

Not offering an opinion either way, just clarifying what I think is the question xXx asked. IMHO, who ever helps, they want to use us as pawns in their own global power game, EU, US, China, anyone. No one is here helping out of the goodness of their hearts and concern for their fellow men.

I think your missing xXx's question. I think he's saying if people are complaining about violation of sovereignty by, for example the EU, in exchange for the things they want us to do for getting GSP+, why doesn't it apply when when we have to dance to China's tune for the aid given?

Not offering an opinion either way, just clarifying what I think is the question xXx asked. IMHO, who ever helps, they want to use us as pawns in their own global power game, EU, US, China, anyone. No one is here helping out of the goodness of their hearts and concern for their fellow men.

thanks for pointing that out.. didn't think of it like that :)

fully with you on the second para.

agreed. but we are in a situation where we need to select the best out of the worst. so in my openion i would say china is a better option.

agreed. but we are in a situation where we need to select the best out of the worst. so in my openion i would say china is a better option.

Care to explain how you came to that conclusion?

Care to explain how you came to that conclusion?

Because Goldman Sachs projects that China will overtake the United States as the world's largest economy by 2027. And they've got real money. US doesn't have real money, they've got real debt. When shit hits the fan and oil runs out, the people with real money will win.

China won't really need the US by that time, but we will need China

• 4 weeks later...

Jst now got an update from "Ada Derana" that import excise duty on vehicles has been slashed by 50%, with immediate effect. 15% surcharge on all imports removed..

:jumping-smiley-013:

Edited by Bugatti

WOW. IS this means that the 200% tax will be 100% or 150%. (The tax rates r just for ease of understanding )

Edited by Thanushka

WOW. IS this means that the 200% tax will be 100% of 150%. (The tax rates r just for ease of understanding )

present tax is 384% or something.. does this means tax will be half the present rate or 50% removed from 384% which means it'll stay on 334% ?

According to what I read in daily mirror, Maruti which was taxed for 183% is now only taxed 90%. So wouldn't 384% go down to 195% level?

Will this have a big effect on the second hand market? I am just about to buy a car....... Should I wait for sometime and see what turns up? I am sure I wont have a second chance to buy that car again..... buy it or leave it? price is 1.85mil

QUOTE (Killer-B @ Jun 1 2010, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will this have a big effect on the second hand market? I am just about to buy a car....... Should I wait for sometime and see what turns up? I am sure I wont have a second chance to buy that car again..... buy it or leave it? price is 1.85mil

That's a silly question, you can wait 3 days the least :rolleyes: