• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Police Radar Sensor

There is no law governing that to make it illegal.

well anything to do with radar will be flagged at customs checking and most probably confiscated or fined..

hell we're living a in a country with a ban on RC toys...even tiny ones that don't necessarily fly :lol:

• 4 months later...
Hi

Anybody know what signal band used by local cops to detect high speed vehicles, is it K band or Ka band

What is the best radar detector for Sri Lanka (eg: - WHISTLER XTR-695 or COBRA XRS 9430)

Regards

Asela

couple of my friends have had good success with the Cobra XRS series...

ebay's got the 9700 for close $70 and 40 for shipping to SL...

couple of my friends have had good success with the Cobra XRS series...

ebay's got the 9700 for close $70 and 40 for shipping to SL...

Cant bring down those though ebay as our custom might hold those, thought of bring down with somebody comes from US. but don't know which model is best suit to lk.

i HAVE been using the cobra for few years and the results are very intermittent. some times it detects and sometimes it doesnt.

I have this new gadget which I brought down last time and this super thing blanks out the radar gun. you can drive at wutever the speed and dont need to worry abt the cops anymore. coz their meter reading shows *---* blanks...cops will surely go out of business.

i HAVE been using the cobra for few years and the results are very intermittent. some times it detects and sometimes it doesnt.

I have this new gadget which I brought down last time and this super thing blanks out the radar gun. you can drive at wutever the speed and dont need to worry abt the cops anymore. coz their meter reading shows *---* blanks...cops will surely go out of business.

Isnt that a bit dangerous. I mean wont the cops suspect something and pull you over anyway. Im sure radar jammers are banned even here in the UK they are and if they catch you they will fine you.

Isnt that a bit dangerous. I mean wont the cops suspect something and pull you over anyway. Im sure radar jammers are banned even here in the UK they are and if they catch you they will fine you.

Yes, True.

I dont know whether its illegal or banded, but they know that people use Detectors, Jammers and if they found that it fixed in your car, sure they will take it out and wont return back (this is what i have been told by a x-Trafic cop). :ninja:

I'm using Cobra XRS 9485 and bought it for 100$ from RadioShak in US. But, so far i never got caught. :rolleyes: I really do careful when i have it on and when ever they stop me, i quickly remove it.

Yes, True.

I dont know whether its illegal or banded, but they know that people use Detectors, Jammers and if they found that it fixed in your car, sure they will take it out and wont return back (this is what i have been told by a x-Trafic cop). :ninja:

I'm using Cobra XRS 9485 and bought it for 100$ from RadioShak in US. But, so far i never got caught. :rolleyes: I really do careful when i have it on and when ever they stop me, i quickly remove it.

So does it really help using a radar detector? I mean on our roads its not like you have a long time from when they put the gun on you and the jammer going off. Most of the time you can spot the police guy beside the road and slow down unless they are hiding hind a bush or something :ninja:

guys thesedays i dont see any trafic cops anywhere, recently went to Nuwara, Negombo and many outstation trips and didnt saw trafic polics guys at all, i didnt drove less than 80 and didnt see incoming vehicles flashing their headlights even once......

Maybe they have reached their target for fines so taking a break till next year :alc:

What is the brand name and model of your new gadget, (if you willing to share)

Cant bring down those though ebay as our custom might hold those, thought of bring down with somebody comes from US. but don't know which model is best suit to lk.

Buy the Cobra 9700. It works very well. I have been using it for last one year. It is available at Best Buy or Circuit City in the USA. Brought down two units last week, already sold..

guys thesedays i dont see any trafic cops anywhere, recently went to Nuwara, Negombo and many outstation trips and didnt saw trafic polics guys at all, i didnt drove less than 80 and didnt see incoming vehicles flashing their headlights even once......

Machang, Even i notice this recently. Also i heard from a radio news program that currently there aren't any speed limit in Sri lanka. From what i heard court had banned old speed limits and allocated new speed limits of 56 and 72 few months ago. But these new limits still not gazzet and approved by parliment. So since old ones are banned and new ones are still not approved by parliment cops can't stop vehicles for any of those speeds and charge you. Anyway i'm 100% not sure of this, but it's the only logical answere i can come up with at the moment. Anyway this is always open for comments..

Machang, Even i notice this recently. Also i heard from a radio news program that currently there aren't any speed limit in Sri lanka. From what i heard court had banned old speed limits and allocated new speed limits of 56 and 72 few months ago. But these new limits still not gazzet and approved by parliment. So since old ones are banned and new ones are still not approved by parliment cops can't stop vehicles for any of those speeds and charge you. Anyway i'm 100% not sure of this, but it's the only logical answere i can come up with at the moment. Anyway this is always open for comments..

I think that is wrong, the speed limit of 56 (within city limits) and 76 (out of city limits) for light vehicles were there for a long time. that was the speed limits I learned when i got my driving license in 1995. but cops and gov (gov or RDA) put new speed limit notice everywhere which limits below that limit (might be due to traffic or road conditions). that limits were banned by court so that old speed limits get apples again. even there is no legal speed limit, who like to explain that to cops :action-smiley-060:

Hi

Anybody know what signal band used by local cops to detect high speed vehicles, is it K band or Ka band

What is the best radar detector for Sri Lanka (eg: - WHISTLER XTR-695 or COBRA XRS 9430)

Regards

Asela

I use Cobra ESD 7000. With my experience SL Police use X and Ka band. There is one radar gun they use with a white face, which is not detected by ESD 7000. However one of my friends told me that they were using laser guns on Baseline road, but I've never came across.

As per my experiences with Whistler and Cobra; Cobra speaks better than Whistler for SL.

-GMI

Buy the Cobra 9700. It works very well. I have been using it for last one year. It is available at Best Buy or Circuit City in the USA. Brought down two units last week, already sold..

was just aboout to invite mr buggati to the floor.. yes this works... like a charm... :jumping-smiley-013:

I use Cobra ESD 7000. With my experience SL Police use X and Ka band. There is one radar gun they use with a white face, which is not detected by ESD 7000. However one of my friends told me that they were using laser guns on Baseline road, but I've never came across.

As per my experiences with Whistler and Cobra; Cobra speaks better than Whistler for SL.

-GMI

I've also seen a fancy schmantzy radar gun on baseline road...way passing apollo etc when you are coming from borella side...

it was black with a few glassy lens sorta things in the front.. and appeared much bulkier than the normal guns you see...

i was doing over 90 at the time but didn't get pulled over :) maybe they still dunno how to use it properly :)

• 3 weeks later...