• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Turning Off Ac/radio On Start? Necessary??

jehan80

Hi,

Is turning off the AC and the Radio when starting the engine really necessary? Or is it an old wifes(mechanics) tale?

I suppose i could understand doing this for older vehicles, but for modern stuff of the last 8 years or so? I wonder whether the vehicle manufacturers reccommend this, cause i've never heard anyone outside SL talking about turning off the electronics when starting the vehicle. Ant thoughts?

Hi,

Is turning off the AC and the Radio when starting the engine really necessary? Or is it an old wifes(mechanics) tale?

I suppose i could understand doing this for older vehicles, but for modern stuff of the last 8 years or so? I wonder whether the vehicle manufacturers reccommend this, cause i've never heard anyone outside SL talking about turning off the electronics when starting the vehicle. Ant thoughts?

Nope, you don't have to. It won't harm anything.

I'd say the radio consumes too little electricity as oposed to the starter motor to make a difference. But the AC connected to the engine not only consumes electricity but also creates an excess load on the starter motor. But i think cars (say within 20 years) come with starter motors that can handle the excess load, or with automatic cutoffs that turn off the radio n AC when stating up.

(though it must be noted the AC compressor wont be working until the engine is running, its just the blower that runs on the 3rd notch of the key-turn)

Hi,

In addition to that recently a auto mechanic told me not to STOP the engine before switch off the A/C? Any reason for that? He was unable to tell me the exact reason.

In addition to that recently a auto mechanic told me not to STOP the engine before switch off the A/C? Any reason for that? He was unable to tell me the exact reason.

I don't think there is any logic behind this. Does anyone have any ideas?

/bigDaddy

It should be other way around reason is inorder to minimize the condensation on the cooler.

Other thing is it is not required to switch off A/C or the radio since it is done automatically while you start the machine.

I have heard or read somewhere it is best practice to switch your AC off when nearing the end of your jorney (ie. about a minuite before hand). Well if you have the habit of doing that then your AC will anyway be off when you are going to start it :D. Anyway good thing to know about this cause I was also under the impression that AC on is very bad when starting. Things may have changed as at now.