• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sudden Demise Of Our Fellow Member & Veteran Mini Racing Driver Dilshan Bandaranayake

GMI

It is a great sadness to announce the sudden demise of our fellow member & veteran Mini racing driver Dilshan Bandaranayake under tragic circumstance on 20th April. Our deepest sympathies are with his family.

Mighty Mini Club members will meet up at Palam Thuna junction near the AMRC track in Battramulla on Wednesday 23rd April at 8am to go in procession to the funeral which will be in Kandy that afternoon.

Deepest Sympathies to Dilshans Family and Freinds.

I knew Dilshan for almost 15 years - a Great Vibrant Personality.

Very Sad Indeed.

Its Time organizers think about ROAD RACES. Every Event have had some issue.

Edited by Velocity

Deepest sympathy for the family members.

I saw this in news and saw the damaged vehicles as shown on TV but didn't see much of a damage to kill a person unless otherwise the person wasn't wearing seat belts. Since this is a racing event I'm sure he was buckled up properly and vehicle also might've had all the safety precautions including safety bars. Anyone close witnesses of the scene or know how this happened?

my deepest sympathies to friends and family members :(

I was also wondering whether necessary safety precautions were followed...don't think i've seen many minis with roll cages etc and a proper seating with good harness system...

but then again i've not seen race ready minis up close so don't really know...

anybody else have a better idea on this

Deepest sympathies to his family and friends...though i did not see the actual crash i saw the crashed car upclosely...all the necessary safety precautions seemed to be there to my limited knowledge the roll cage and the safety harness seemed to be intact but then again this was a head on collision to the concrete structure..as velocity said it's time for the organisers to rethink about having "ROAD" RACES considering the danger to both participants and spectators!!!

By looking at the picture it looks like there is a roller cage support to the structure. The impact angle might be the reason for the fatal damage, that pushed the steering forward.

My deepest sympathies to his family, and friends ...

Deepest sympathies to his family and friends...though i did not see the actual crash i saw the crashed car upclosely...all the necessary safety precautions seemed to be there to my limited knowledge the roll cage and the safety harness seemed to be intact but then again this was a head on collision to the concrete structure..as velocity said it's time for the organisers to rethink about having "ROAD" RACES considering the danger to both participants and spectators!!!

talking about organizers needing to pay much more attention to ensure safety...

During the Nuwara Eliya MX practice races... i was shocked to notice the so called track officials didn't even know what that all important orange flag meant..

some riders and bikes were stalled/fallen and causing an obstruction to oncoming riders but track officials weren't raising the orange flag so that the oncoming riders knew they had to approach cautiously...

even taking fallen bikes and riders out of the track were carried out in a very un-professional lazy manner.

People were crossing the track at times when practice races were on and even some riders were allowed to join an on going session from a blind corner :action-smiley-060:

I think it's time SL motor sports fraternity got together and appoint a watchdog to maintain strict safety standards in motor sport events :)

deepest sympathies to dilshans family.. a fine gentleman racer i known for omre than 5 years..well the so called organicers n marshells should lok into this road race matter seriously..specially whhen yo running on a road used day by day..god knows the condition n the balance of it..also so called mini experts who marks the rules n regs fro minis was wery worried on small facts like head hight n ext, was not so keen on safty mesures to the race rady mini..miniace can u add something mate

also we shall all wish speedy recovery to Ajith ayya ( mr Ajith Hemachndra) his car was also damaged so badly..he wasa the tarmac mini champ for more than two years n was a good gentlemen racer..even i know the incident arnd 1.30pm as soon as it happend..i dnt want to cmment any on it..till full details..

Edited by RACERSEDGE

My deepest sympathies to Dilshan's family

A sad day indeed ..........

Incidentally GMI refers to him as "our fellow member" was Dilshan an autolanka member ? and if so what was his ID ?

Edited by The Don

My deepest sympathies to Dilshan's family

A sad day indeed ..........

Incidentally GMI refers to him as "our fellow member" was Dilshan an autolanka member ? and if so what was his ID ?

a member of Mighty Mini Club

It is a great sadness to announce the sudden demise of our fellow member & veteran Mini racing driver Dilshan Bandaranayake under tragic circumstance on 20th April. Our deepest sympathies are with his family.

Mighty Mini Club members will meet up at Palam Thuna junction near the AMRC track in Battramulla on Wednesday 23rd April at 8am to go in procession to the funeral which will be in Kandy that afternoon.

The funeral of Dilshan Bandaranayake will be on 23rd April at 3.00pm in Kandy. The body is at #98 Galkanda Rd, Anniewatte, Kandy. It is next to Gateway school Kandy.

The Mighty Mini Club will not be going in parade in Mini’s at the funeral based on a request made by Dilshan’s wife. There will be a bus or 2 arranged by the Mighty Mini Club for any member who needs to go to the funeral.

Its sad to hear what's happened. Deepest symathies to the family. So was he a AL member as well, if so what was his screen name? High time they invest in HANS. But those things are quite expensive as far as i know. I know its a sensitive subject but does anyone know the total death toll in SL motor racing? i would imagine it's relatively quite low.