• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Who Is Using Highspeed Internet In Sri Lanka?

Members,

I use Dialog 4G at the moment it gives me the following speeds at colombo 00300..

2681060856.png

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Old thread, but thanks for shearing this info.

may i know sort of facts from a member who works in telecommunication industry (or anyone)?

what are the different backbones that has been allocated for our service providers (just like SEA-ME-WE 4 for SLT, probably others might be using that).

and band-widths that they have for each and every service provider(Dialog,SLT,Airtel......etc).

Thanks!

Old thread, but thanks for shearing this info.

may i know sort of facts from a member who works in telecommunication industry (or anyone)?

what are the different backbones that has been allocated for our service providers (just like SEA-ME-WE 4 for SLT, probably others might be using that).

and band-widths that they have for each and every service provider(Dialog,SLT,Airtel......etc).

Thanks!

MV-5,

Yes this is a very old thread. I have been trying all new Telecommunication systems.

If I posted on a new thread, it will not be a follow up of our Telecommunication providers. Services in S L.

Before the SLT had the monopoly.Charges were exorbitant. Specially foreign calls. Early long ago we all paid 10 cents for unlimited call.

At that time we had Strowger telephone exchange.Before digital exchange came in 1970s.

Utube Step-by-Step Telephone Switch Line Finder HD.

Few subscribers formed a forum and complained to TRC legal department about high charges and low speeds.

At the beginning SLT had dial up Internet with very low speed.ISDN was the only solution with very high speed. ISDN was a obsolete technology.

Charges were for a minute double the cost of a telephone call. If both digital lines were used. One ISDN telephone line had two numbers.

TRC had a hearing to our complain, with Mr Capila Chandrasena then CEO of SLT and few SLT and TRC engineers took part for the discussion.

TRC then gave us a date to monitor 8 hours Internet at different pLaces in the city with a officer from SLT and TRC.

I was at TRC monitoring for 4 hours. Out come was not solved for long time. Because SLT AND TRC was government departments.

Few years back, Monopoly of SLT was discontinued. Government allowed the other telecommunication providers to compete.

That is the reason the calls came down. Early all who wanted a telephone have to be on waiting list, for number of years.

Further more bribes had to be given to reserve a loop, wiring party, final connection. This some times go up ten thousand Rupees or more.

To get IDD also waiting list and a bribe, with Cash deposit of Rupees 5000.00.

I remember in 1950s having 4 numbers for a telephone, then became 5 numbers later 6 now 7. Different codes for distance towns.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not having any problems with youtube or any other sites.. Have Dialog 4G & SLT ADSL connection, both are working fine..

YRD Rumesh88,

Downloading any text or web page is OK. Only YouTube I have this problem. May be my location. I have complained to Dialog they came and did a test .

Dialog informed me to change the location of the if the Router. S L T DID a test yesterday, I am still not satisfied with the performance.

Only for some YouTube downloading have this problem.

Speed test is above 5 M/bs. Not what was on my Most on May 1st. Cannot be a computer problem. I have 4 Computers. Only 2 sharing Internet.

Going out of Colombo must come back and check up.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Youtube is ok for us over Dialog Wimax, Dialog dongle and SLT leased line. What do you mean download: youtube video streaming or downloading (as FLV/MP4/..) via a 3rd party? If it's the latter, might be a problem with 3rd party software or webservice.

I saw a small dip in general internet speed mid last week, now back to usual.

Youtube is ok for us over Dialog Wimax, Dialog dongle and SLT leased line. What do you mean download: youtube video streaming or downloading (as FLV/MP4/..) via a 3rd party? If it's the latter, might be a problem with 3rd party software or webservice.

I saw a small dip in general internet speed mid last week, now back to usual.

vishkid,

You post is correct. I try to download some on the A/L forum clips. I found you tube video streaming, used to get stuck in few seconds.

I was not in Colombo yesterday. Only returned this afternoon from Down south. Will inform how the speed later.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

vishkid,

As your post confirms Some A/L forum I tried some clips this morning, they get stuck within few seconds. But direct You Tube play very well.

May be an a problem with 3rd party software or web service.

Speed test SLT.

5/14/2013 1:34 AM GMT

5.20 Mb/s

0.48 Mb/s

198 ms

Chennai

~ 450 mi

5/14/2013 1:33 AM GMT

2.72 Mb/s

0.49 Mb/s

198 ms

Chennai

~ 450 mi

5/14/2013 1:30 AM GMT

5.24 Mb/s

0.49 Mb/s

198 ms

Chennai

~ 450 mi

Speed test dialog 4 G.

5/9/2013 5:52 AM GMT

14.44 Mb/s

3.95 Mb/s

42 ms

Chennai

~ 450 mi

5/9/2013 5:51 AM GMT

13.69 Mb/s

4.03 Mb/s

41 ms

Chennai

~ 450 mi

5/9/2013 5:50 AM GMT

10.13 Mb/s

3.84 Mb/s

42 ms

Chennai

~ 450 mi

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using Dialog broadband wireless for nearly 2 years now. If you are going to be needing high bandwidth consistently and will use well above 10 gigs a month then Dialog is a bad choice.

My monthly base charge is 1800 rs , for which I get 10 gigs download . My bill usually comes close to 4,000 rs a month because I purchase additional gigs since they throttle your bandwidth soo much after you exceed 10 gigs , that it is like not having internet.

10 gigs flys by real quickly if you watch several YouTube videos in a week.

Edited by jalapeno

Members,

All the systems are not satisfactory when the speed is concern. Other than ISDN or a leased line. They are expensive. Speed never drops.

I once had ISDN my bill for a month was 7500.00 to 10000.00 rupees but the SLT do not provide any modems for them at present.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Members,

I bought three Sims with dongles from Etisalat. Their service is little better.,

Comparing other mobile providers. Good coverage even hambanthota gives average of 3MB.

Has to use their High speed dongle to get the benefit. If not low speed dongles do not have the speed.

Which is 5000.00 Rupees with the connection fee.

Still Dialog 4 G is the next best for me to SLT ADSL. in my location.

Out of Colombo SLT ADSL is very good. Constant speed without drop.

Any member is using Mobitel new system like to have the comments of the speed.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 1 month later...
anybody using Dialog 4G??? Is it any good?? please share your information.

I use it at office (Colombo 03) for a special project, recently they updated the bandwidth so it's between 20-25 Mbps. Which means you hit download speeds around 2MBps consistently. We can download a 800MB torrent in 5 mins (special project, yeah :D).

You get 60GB monthly for 4000+ with taxes. After that the bandwidth becomes virtually null!

I use it at office (Colombo 03) for a special project, recently they updated the bandwidth so it's between 20-25 Mbps. Which means you hit download speeds around 2MBps consistently. We can download a 800MB torrent in 5 mins (special project, yeah :D).

You get 60GB monthly for 4000+ with taxes. After that the bandwidth becomes virtually null!

thanks for the info. i think its time to say bye to SLTnet :). :violent-smiley-030:

One word of caution - this is probably because the contention for 4G signal is pretty low in most areas. Though I assume that by now, there would be a lot of 4G consumers in Colpetty area (both fixed and mobile).

Same with SLT. We've got the 60GB package and the speed becomes 1kbps after reaching the limit. Still we've used only 20GB this month, but the speed is only 1mbps