• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Who Is Using Highspeed Internet In Sri Lanka?

Found this info in another Sri lankan forum, dnt know true or not

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hei u know that dialog broad band wimax internet connection? If u have idea to get it. i strictly advice don't get it.

Truth is hear,

If you take 1Mbps broadband connection only you will get 4Gb download limit for month. That mean if u are reaching to 4Gb limit they will automatically convert your user category (QOS) to heavy user.

Do you know whats that mean. That mean you dead. Because that category users don't get 1Mbps speed. Can u remember your 56kbps dialup connection. U can feel like using dialup connection when u convert to that package.

But i never heard this kind of story for SLT adsl. No they never limit your download limit. I'm using both connection. SLT ADSL 512kbps and Dialog broadband 1Mbps connection.

Im really disapointed about Wimax connection. So i use it for BACKUP link. Its shit.

One month i got a rapid share premium accountt and download 150Gb from ADSL connection.

U never cant do that kind of miracle from dialog broadband.

If u only using inter for chatting and checking emails WIMAX connection will not make problems. But the case is is it worth full to pay Rs3500 for 4Gb.

Time to think about Dialog broadband.

This thread is open for comments. Please give your ideas. That will helpful to others.

Evidance ;

fairusagepolicykb9.jpg

Edited by GihanFX

AFAIK dialog do have a bandwidth limit (its mentioned on their site)

SLT may or may not have a limit. Some have said in this thread that they do, others claim their connections are unlimited. Personally I've never encountered any limit but then again I'm not a heavy P2P user.

I think a wimax connection is a good idea for casual use, but if one is into downloading movies, etc then the wired (slt) connection seems the way to go. I would say it depends entirely on the user profile. One other factor is cost (dialog wimax is more expensive)

BTW, I must point out (to lalithster) that dialog, mobitel and others do offer GPRS, edge, and 3G, which may be useful for casual internet use..

• 7 months later...

hey is anyone else expierincing slow broadband speeds from last friday evening..there's talk of a severed under sea cable...my speed is not even half of what it was

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=aBa0lTN.dcoQ

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7792688.stm

Edited by HelRazor

hey is anyone else expierincing slow broadband speeds from last friday evening..there's talk of a severed under sea cable...my speed is not even half of what it was

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=aBa0lTN.dcoQ

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7792688.stm

downloads were down from 50 kbps to 10 & there about :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My office purchased 4 Mb Dialog wimax line and first 2, 3 weeks it was very fast. downloaded 5 films per day. how ever i never reached at least 3 Mb speed and they telling it is shared bandwidth you cannot get maximum.

but npw it is totall crap some times download speed is 20Kb which is less than dial-up.

but my 2 MB SLT ADSL is better. i think the physical cable is better than wireless.

dialog 4Mb monthly rental is 14000. but SLT 2Mb is 5500 per month. i think SLT is better.

sira

all,

since last week dialog speed was very bad due to under sea cable damadge. but SLT still up .

sira

We used to have SLT here at home (my inlaws place) and after constant battles withthem over the speed (Maradana exchange) we couldn't get more than 3-4kb/sec during peak times and evening/weekend wasn't much better. Father in law switch to dialog, and since I've been here (16th dec) to today have been getting the full 1mbps on downloads from the US (apple update) without any issues to date. I was at my brother in laws yesterday and he's also in borella but I think on the rajagiriya exchange and AL took a full 30 seconds to refresh!! He's on SLT 512 package. However some xchanges seem to get full speed, but the SLT adsl network seems congested to say the least, and I remember at one stage they even had some notice on their website that their contention ratio was high, but that was the price to be paid for the low pricing structure to make it affordable!?

Anyway, happy dialog users here. We've been using it with skype and voip as well (I bring my voip ATA from melbourne so people can still contact us) and it's crystal clear, where as with SLT we'd get constant drop outs and the like and forget about using SLT during the day monday to friday!!

your mileage may vary however...

EDIT: Speedtest from just now:

382119242.png

To Sydney:

382120268.png

Upload aint the best, around 256k-300k, but still better than claimed 128k we were getting HERE with SLT. BTW I'm not doing this for any personal gain or to start a flame war - I've always believed though that you can't argue with results!! I have no personal association or interests in Dialog :)

Edited by MSP0RT5

We used to have SLT here at home (my inlaws place) and after constant battles withthem over the speed (Maradana exchange) we couldn't get more than 3-4kb/sec during peak times and evening/weekend wasn't much better. Father in law switch to dialog, and since I've been here (16th dec) to today have been getting the full 1mbps on downloads from the US (apple update) without any issues to date. I was at my brother in laws yesterday and he's also in borella but I think on the rajagiriya exchange and AL took a full 30 seconds to refresh!! He's on SLT 512 package. However some xchanges seem to get full speed, but the SLT adsl network seems congested to say the least, and I remember at one stage they even had some notice on their website that their contention ratio was high, but that was the price to be paid for the low pricing structure to make it affordable!?

Anyway, happy dialog users here. We've been using it with skype and voip as well (I bring my voip ATA from melbourne so people can still contact us) and it's crystal clear, where as with SLT we'd get constant drop outs and the like and forget about using SLT during the day monday to friday!!

your mileage may vary however...

Been a Dialog Wimax user since September and have absolutely no complaints.. I am a heavy downloader and use my connection to the maximum.. No trouble when using Skype or streaming videos either.. But, my next door people are always complaining that they can not even do a voice chat on their SLT connection.. :lol:

Found this info in another Sri lankan forum, dnt know true or not

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hei u know that dialog broad band wimax internet connection? If u have idea to get it. i strictly advice don't get it.

Truth is hear,

If you take 1Mbps broadband connection only you will get 4Gb download limit for month. That mean if u are reaching to 4Gb limit they will automatically convert your user category (QOS) to heavy user.

Do you know whats that mean. That mean you dead. Because that category users don't get 1Mbps speed. Can u remember your 56kbps dialup connection. U can feel like using dialup connection when u convert to that package.

But i never heard this kind of story for SLT adsl. No they never limit your download limit. I'm using both connection. SLT ADSL 512kbps and Dialog broadband 1Mbps connection.

Im really disapointed about Wimax connection. So i use it for BACKUP link. Its shit.

One month i got a rapid share premium accountt and download 150Gb from ADSL connection.

U never cant do that kind of miracle from dialog broadband.

If u only using inter for chatting and checking emails WIMAX connection will not make problems. But the case is is it worth full to pay Rs3500 for 4Gb.

Time to think about Dialog broadband.

This thread is open for comments. Please give your ideas. That will helpful to others.

Evidance ;

fairusagepolicykb9.jpg

Dialog has remove Fair usage policy (FUP) from Fixed Broadband packages, now there is no download limit

Dialog has remove Fair usage policy (FUP) from Fixed Broadband packages, now there is no download limit

Can confirm that.. There is no FUP on WiMax.. Have been downloading at least 30GB per month since I got my connection.. But FUP is there on HSPA.

• 2 years later...

just in the middle of uploading a 23MB video to you-tube -it has taken close to 3 hours & about 50% uploaded only!!

I'm using a Dialog '690/- + taxes' package.

The upload speed is barely over 20kbps!!

Called tech -care ---informed me that the download speed should be 128kbps after 2 or 3 GB of downloading [not even aware of upload speed!] but even the download speed is not sufficient to access my gmail.

The above is FYI only.

Edited by mirage7777

just in the middle of uploading a 23MB video to you-tube -it has taken close to 3 hours & about 50% uploaded only!!

I'm using a Dialog 690/- + taxes.

The upload speed is barely over 20kbps!!

Called tech -care ---informed me that the download speed should be 128kbps after 2 or 3 GB of downloading [not even aware of upload speed!] but even the download speed is not sufficient to access my gmail.

the above is FYI only.

did you use a download accelerator...?

Mobitel rolling out 4G

Sri Lanka Telecom Mobitel has signed a BOI agreement to trial and deploy a LTE (Long Term Evolution) Network for the first time in Sri Lanka. This will be part of the company’s network expansion project and will enable Mobitel to import/purchase (locally) project-related items free of customs duty.

Mobitel has committed an investment of approximately US$ 60 million in its latest network expansion, adding 1,000 LTE capable radio base stations to the existing network infrastructure. With this, the company’s Investments committed to date in its LTE/3.5G/2.5G networks and service offerings amount to over US$ 400 mn.

"Technology change is a key determinant of a country’s economic growth and therefore the introduction of LTE Network is expected to drive growth in the telecommunication sector as well as improve competitiveness and growth in several other economic sectors heavily depended on infocom" said, Jayampathi Bandaranayake, Chairman BOI of Sri Lanka. "We are happy to support Sri Lanka Telecom Mobitel in its endeavour to provide the latest ICT technologies which is sure to catalyze national development".

LTE is the latest standard in the mobile network technology evolution after GSM/EDGE and 3.5G/HSPA network technologies, and Mobitel is gearing towards demonstrating broadband speeds nearing 100Mbps in downlink and 50Mbps in uplink, using this LTE technology when the spectrum is available.

Anusha Palpita, The Director General of Telecommunications said "TRCSL is committed to assist all the telecommunication operators in Sri Lanka to develop world class telecommunication network facilities in the country. The spectrum allocation for the commercial operation of LTE will soon be finalized where the operators will be able to launch nationwide enhanced ICT infrastructure to benefit all businesses and consumers in Sri Lanka through this latest evolution in mobile broadband technology."

Nimal Welgama, Chairman Sri Lanka Telecom Mobitel said, "Harnessing the power of ICT to its fullest potential will be the key in realizing hyper exponential pace of growth which is needed to build our nation and to do so rapidly. This requires next generation ICT available and affordable to the citizens of our country which will help eventually realize His Excellency the President’s vision of elevating the e-literacy rate in Sri Lanka. In this regard, this investment on the latest LTE infrastructure will be a significant step towards driving unparalleled growth to propel our country forward."

ZTE corporation of China was selected by Mobitel as its technology partner to deploy this state-of-the-art LTE ready Next-Generation-Network.

Island

Hi guys

need advice on the best broadband option for SL.. I know SLT is offering ADSL. But I saw Dialog has also added broadband. Has anyone used either of these and how would you rate the service? How often does it go down?

Thanks

Dude,

When I was at home I used to have a SLT Broadband connection. The speed met my requirments. But after getting married & having to stay at my wifes place, I thought of getting a Dialog Mobile Broadband connection. Initially I chose the 4GB package for Rs 990/= Recently they increased the speed upto 5GB. I have never gone over my monthly Quota. Speed is also very good. Also if you have a laptop, better you go for a Mobile broadband cos you can take it any where you want.

Forgot to include, :rolleyes: this is just my opinion. I have nothing to do with Dialog other than just being one of there regular customer.

Edited by Crishan

oops.. sorry. i've made a mistake. all of them are Download not Upload.. try this....

http://www.dvdvideos...-to-YouTube.htm

sorry again..

Thanks Nirosha for the link.

I downloaded the software --however my upload speed is soooooo slow - that the uploads failed!!

The problem with my package is that - it has become slow after i exceeded the 2/3 GB monthly quota. But the slow connection offered by Dialog is not sufficient for downloading or uploading.

I think the best connection is Mobitel --according to the test given above by you - Nirosha.

http://www.trc.gov.l...st-results.html

http://www.trc.gov.l...march-2011.html