• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Who Is Using Highspeed Internet In Sri Lanka?

Dialog TV is far better than Peo tv. Recently they have upgaraded my current receiver to HD unit with HDMI output,for free and although im not subscribed to HD channels there is noticeable improvement in picture quality.

Going OT, but keeping to recent turn in discussion ...

Dialog TV recently moved Discovery Turbo and Setanta Sports to their MPEG-4 transponder (which houses the HD channels). There is a noticeable improvement in the picture and audio quality of those channels with the - far better - MPEG-4 compression.

Since you need the new HD decoder to access the MPEG-4 transponder, they replaced the decoders of everyone who had subscribed to any of those channels.

But now, it looks as they are replacing every decoder as a preemptive measure to migrate all of their channels to MPEG-4.

I got the HD pack and decoder a year back to watch the olympics in HD and had not been disappointed, specially when it comes to Formula 1. Now it's even more useful because you can activate individual HD channels, thus rationalizing the cost factor as well. If you want HD and better compression, there is no choice other than DTV and the Indian HD providers.

H. C

What's the package you're using?

Did you request for change though they did it freely? Or as a service after receiver failure?

Im using basic package with several added channels including Discovery Turbo. Recently they have shifted Discovery turbo to channel 86, and old receiver had only about 70 channels. So they changed it for free . Its a good reward to petrolheads like us!

we used to have Dialog at home and recently we moved to PeoTV. I prefer Dialog cos browsing through channels is so easy and everything is so user friendly. But the con is that you get the occasional disruptions due to bad weather. And the customer service is shitty. They dont send you the bill on time, then call you up and tell you that you havent paid on time. Then randomly disconnect your line for non-payment even though you have paid for it etc etc. My Dad got sick of it and just moved to peo when they offered a free connection on our existing ADSL line.

• Like 1

Im using basic package with several added channels including Discovery Turbo. Recently they have shifted Discovery turbo to channel 86, and old receiver had only about 70 channels. So they changed it for free . Its a good reward to petrolheads like us!

Not exactly to do with decoder capacity. The older decoders can handle 500+ channels. But they cannot decode MPEG-4.

Lol .. anyways, I think this is one good move by Dialog. If they manage to move all their channels to MPEG-4, LBN/PEO and the rest of the competition might struggle to match the quality of delivery with current infrastructure.

Wanted to share some information recently came across.

I was using Ethisalat mobile broadband with 10gp package and most of the day it was very slow (less than 100KBPs) and disconnecting every second. Has to unplug the dongle everytime to reconnect.

Later thought of moving out from this trouble and bought Dialog 11GB package for Rs. 950 monthly rental. It's far superior to Etisalat connection. Has been using it for more than a week and never had any disconnection or slow down. Most of the time it;s giving more than 2MB download speed with the speed tester.

• 1 month later...

SLT and Dialog 4G LTE seem to be the best two options right now. I'm using the web pro package of SLT, getting full bandwidth of 8mb DL 1mb up, can't say the line is stable though,having frequent disconnections here and there, all because of the faulty equipment that is in the exchange 1km from my house.

Also, SLT has to be up there for having the worst customer service in any country. I dont know what kind of people work in the customer service, some of these women who answer to the 1212 hotline don't even know terms like "bandwidth" and "routing". Their solution to all internet problems is "sir please turn off the router, wait 30 seconds and turn it on, and call us again, suba dawasak!"

All in all, if you guys have 4G LTE coverage in your area, get it, dont ever go for SLT, who have been lying to customers over and over while providing shit service.

Also, SLT has to be up there for having the worst customer service in any country. I dont know what kind of people work in the customer service, some of these women who answer to the 1212 hotline don't even know terms like "bandwidth" and "routing". Their solution to all internet problems is "sir please turn off the router, wait 30 seconds and turn it on, and call us again, suba dawasak!"

lol thats so true. Cant complain much about my office SLT connection much cuz it didnt break down yet since we upgraded to Web Pro package last year. Also get atleast 7mbps most of the time drops some times probably because the heavy use by the staff. But after we excedd the 60GB limit its absulutly useless.

At home I've got the Rs.350 6GB package from Dialog, it had desent download speeds when I was at battaramulla but recently I've moved to Kirulapona and noticed degraded performance. HSDPA signal strength is about 30-40% most of the time but download is real slow and gets stuck. Some times I have to unplug and plug the dongle back in to get the connection back. Tried with a deferent laptop but still the same. Maybe its because there are too much users in that area? Im really fedup.

SLT and Dialog 4G LTE seem to be the best two options right now. I'm using the web pro package of SLT, getting full bandwidth of 8mb DL 1mb up, can't say the line is stable though,having frequent disconnections here and there, all because of the faulty equipment that is in the exchange 1km from my house.

All in all, if you guys have 4G LTE coverage in your area, get it, dont ever go for SLT, who have been lying to customers over and over while providing shit service.

Your comments about customer service ladies are 100% right. Most of them even don't know how to configure a basic Dlink router. Recently I moved my house and luckily I had old setting saved in the router and by looking at it, I configured the new wireless router. After 2 days received a call from technician and I said I have already configured it myself.

When I got my new connection, I had so many issues. Most of customer services advice is to switch off, wait 10 minutes and start it again. Then I was pissed off after calling so many times and said "I have done it for entire day now, please give some solution for this". After 2 days technician came and figure out that it was a problem in the line and he corrected it by calling to regional office. (they have put low bandwidth setting which are not enough for ADSL)

Your comments about customer service ladies are 100% right. Most of them even don't know how to configure a basic Dlink router. Recently I moved my house and luckily I had old setting saved in the router and by looking at it, I configured the new wireless router. After 2 days received a call from technician and I said I have already configured it myself.

When I got my new connection, I had so many issues. Most of customer services advice is to switch off, wait 10 minutes and start it again. Then I was pissed off after calling so many times and said "I have done it for entire day now, please give some solution for this". After 2 days technician came and figure out that it was a problem in the line and he corrected it by calling to regional office. (they have put low bandwidth setting which are not enough for ADSL)

thanks for that i might have the same problem for the last few months my adsl is slower than dial up i got so annoyed calling them up i just knocked off my router and left it at that ill prob give it a go and see with them if this is my problem as well.

• 1 month later...

Thought of sharing latest experience with SLT. My phone line stopped working suddenly on Last Monday night, and now it's Saturday (5 days passed) and it's still not fixed. Luckily I had a mobile broadband from Dialog and it saved me. SLT guys are still figuring out what is the issue and really bunch jokers.

Members,

I too have problem on one of my lines. For three weeks, because I have more lines the regular line every one contact me, is diverted to a another line.

I have number of SLT lines with me. Three ADSL lines. It is a big fraud by there SLT management.

Once we formed a forum and represented matters to TRC. Very lethargic government institution.

Use CDMA connections all my out going I use them, charged to seconds. Any problem one to one replacement.

IDD calls also I have found is cheap than SLT.

Can use any where in the Island. If you go on a trip but it is not allowed by Authorities. No police men will check they are not aware of same.

Even SLT Service staff use CDMA telephones on their Vehicles.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Havent tried it but Dialog 4G fixed seems like a good alternative to SLT.

Reckless,

I do have it is very good. Dialog 4G today was slow. SLT is little faster than 4G dialog today by 1M. Not a common thing.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.