• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Who Is Using Highspeed Internet In Sri Lanka?

Hi,

I was a pioneer when it comes to SLT ADSL and to be honest I was quite impressed when SLT came out with 512K broad band when 512K was the standard speed in the UK as well for ADSL. Things have moved on from there of course .......

What I noticed was that during peak times (office hourst 8AM to say 4PM) the ADSL speeds just drops to a crawl probably because SLT must have oversold its ADSL bandwidth to corporate customers. So I was sometimes using dial up instead of ADSL which seemed to work well.

But during the evenings when people are more likely to use their internet connections I got excellent speeds and connection stability.

Would somebody like to comment how things have moved on in SL since the early days of ADSL ?

Also what happened to the broad band packages being marketed by another company ? I think it was Suntel ...?

Guys..If I see something which is not good. I criticise it..guys this is a free country alright...I enjoy my freedom. Didnt mean to offend anyone.as peri said I have an attitude probs but try to understand Thats me..I am a free man. For me ...frpom the connections I ve used at my frineds place it sucks...listen I told you guys the down falls of Dialog didnt I????? So whoat the heck you telling me I have a big mouth. You dont really need a big mouth to know whots the best. i use wanted people to know wjots going on....Infact my father is from SLT tooo.

camon man...its not what you're saying that matters more....its how u say it. In your post anyone can see that how u have commented on the service is more than 'criticism'

We all know whot SLT is...we all know ahot SLT's service level is???I had a certain experience with SLT where they took 3 days to fix and adsl link..thats why I mentioned it.

again, you are talkin abt you're experience and assuming that its the same for all..... you can talk abt ur experience but how u assume and say abt is not so good IMHO.

for me, the service i have received has been above par and promt.

:jumping-smiley-013:

Dude Priya - For many years Autolanka has been a very closely knit group of individuals, who share a common interest and also respect each others individual opinions. True, that everyone is free to express their own opinion, but it's one's responsibility to do it in such a way that it does not offend others. Else this forum becomes a battle field rather than a car community.

We've had some misfits in the past on this forum, who created havoc that led to disrespect of those individuals within Autolanka. Most of them at the end decided to abandon the forums.

I see that you are new to the forum, so the last thing the veteran members want to see is a newbie breaking peace on the forum. So just chill and hangout because there's a lot the forums have to offer.

strongly agree.

one should learn abt the values of the forum before speaking anything stupid.

there has been a similar situation in another forum and it really is not good.

lets keep it clean :rolleyes:

Would somebody like to comment how things have moved on in SL since the early days of ADSL ?

Also what happened to the broad band packages being marketed by another company ? I think it was Suntel ...?

I've been using it for more than a year now.

I personally do not experience any drastic reduction in speed during peak hours...

there is nothing noticeable.

Overall the service is pretty good, including customer support.

yes it was Sun*el but their tariff is rather complicated and seems more expensive. not quite sure though!

I've been using SLT ADSL for years and since last year, use it as my primary link with the office when working from home 2-3 days a week. I roughly download more than 5 times the data limit imposed by dialog on an average month, with the connection shared between 3 of my personal computers. Most of this bandwidth go to torrents at night and e-mail, browsing & source code uploads during the day.

So far my experience with SLTs service is satisfactory and the link rarely breaks down.

I've been using it for more than a year now.

I personally do not experience any drastic reduction in speed during peak hours...

there is nothing noticeable.

Overall the service is pretty good, including customer support.

yes it was Sun*el but their tariff is rather complicated and seems more expensive. not quite sure though!

I forgot to mention I was (am) on the Nugegoda exchange

which exchange are you connected to ?

We wanted to get somekind of High Speed Intenet for our businees in thosedays cus we suffer lot from Dialups, after one and half years we submit ADSL Applications to SLT (wating List), then they call us and said now ADSL Avilable for MT and they will give the 2MB Line first, then 512, so we got the 2MB line, Thosedays didnt had any problems cus there were very limited users but now its bit Slow but thats nomal, altest we can stay online 24/7 and and do our work, Im happy with the Slt ADSL, its worth the 7500 Rs Rental per Month,

The Only problem we had was, 3 yrs ago we couldnt log to Hotmail, after 3 weeks they fixed it too, their coustomer service is not bad ,

Cus we in Telecomunication business we know lods abt most of the Companies, and if i want to move for Dialog Internet we do that after another 3 or 4 years, cus we know the company very well, even we have some issues with Dialog i cant coment abt their Internet cus never used it, but well see after another 3, 4 yrs time

Edited by GihanFX

I've been on the net since dial up days with a 14.4 modem. I'm not streaming videos all day. This is good enough for my purposes.

lol yeah, the line get Disconect more times than we conect, i can still remember thosdays i dnt know its the line problem i always think its somekind of a problem with the modem :action-smiley-060:

Edited by GihanFX

but seriously why would you abandon your 10Mbps speeds for 512kbps or 1Mbps? :rolleyes:

why would you be a dick? :rolleyes:

anyways keep this thread on topic Dialog vs. SLT or other SL broadband services.

Edited by Lalithster

anyways keep this thread on topic Dialog vs. SLT or other SL broadband services.

i'd be a dick to drop to your level and get a message across to you dipshit... you could've played it safe by not calling names but i guess you earned your first warning well...

and FYI this topic was always on the Dialog vs SLT topic till you started boasting about your 10 Mega'bullshit'per second... as far as i can see no one here wants to hear about how fat your pockets are so stay on track...

Edited by sharkster

i'd be a dick to drop to your level and get a message across to you dipshit... you could've played it safe by not calling names but i guess you earned your first warning well...

and FYI this topic was always on the Dialog vs SLT topic till you started boasting about your 10 Mega'bullshit'per second... as far as i can see no one here wants to hear about how fat your pockets are so stay on track...

I hear lots of people are getting laid off in USA these days? Anyway it depends on how crowded your exchange is, my friend in the millenium city athurugiriya exchange gets faster speeds on his 512kbps than another friend on a 2mbps line on the maradana exchange..the latter connection also tends to break more often and be very slow during the day, probably cos more people sharing the bandwidth.

We all know whot SLT is...we all know ahot SLT's service level is???I had a certain experience with SLT where they took 3 days to fix and adsl link..thats why I mentioned it.

I'm a bit confused machan, didn't you mention earlier that you COULDN'T get the ADSL connection because you were more than 5.0km away from the exchange?

Maybe you could clarify this inconsistency.

(i'll try to find the post you mentioned it in)

SLT guys said that I am beyond the capacity zone and that I could not get the service. You see you need to be 5km within range of the nearest SLT exchange they said, which in my case Iam not. Well one of my friends is next to the SLT exchange kelaniya and he has a ADSL home package. Well once I went there and used it..Gosh!!!its a curse to use such a slow link. you get about 190kbps. :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: Compared to the link I have now I get 768kbps most of time out of a 1MB shared..Hope you understand the difference. And yet price is not the only consideration ..Quality is what matters.

here it is...

i think they have a monthly download limit too...

yeah you're right.. it's 15Gb for theirr Rs.15k package... Rs. 1 per Mb thereafter.

guess mobile internet won't be as cheap as the fixed-line types for awhile to come.

Edited by Arc Angel

I'm a bit confused machan, didn't you mention earlier that you COULDN'T get the ADSL connection because you were more than 5.0km away from the exchange?

Maybe you could clarify this inconsistency.

(i'll try to find the post you mentioned it in)

Leave it Machan, Don't dig it......lets have a Peaceful forum.....

this idiot never learn does he? he seems to think he's better than others. yet another very common symptom among expats

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys

need advice on the best broadband option for SL.. I know SLT is offering ADSL. But I saw Dialog has also added broadband. Has anyone used either of these and how would you rate the service? How often does it go down?

Thanks

Hi,

Hope you don't mind me being rather late to join the discussion but I thought id offer my 2 cents.

Out of the two I think I can simplify things by recommending you get SLT

Currently I'm using an SLT ADSL line and its mostly ok.

OK, the speeds are nothing like you get in USA but I would rank it as 'useable'. If you are into torrents and downloading movies you may not be too OK with it but otherwise, I'd say its bearable for simple surfing and email, occasional youtube. (though youtube and online video are choppy).

Cost wise, well you need a modem/router, you could go for a wifi router, which would set you back about $100 or so here. If you are coming from USA I suggest pick up a nice linksys router :) (check compatibility for dsl though), alternatively I'm sure you can get one here also

Connection reliability well let me put it this way - the connection is quite reliable (in my personal experience). As long as the wire doesnt break you should be OK. If your phone wire is physically broken for some reason then you might have problems getting it fixed but otherwise you should be OK.

Dialog.. well I have not personally tried it but from what I understand it is more expensive than SLT and also has a bandwidth cap (SLT does in theory but I've never reached there)

You could get both as they aren't too expensive. A bonus feature of the Dialog connection is (AFAIK) you can use it outside your house (within coverage area I think)

Hope my comments were useful, and if you have further questions please ask.

thanks!

ps: it would seem your comments to some of the members here were misunderstood? :)