• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Alloy Wheel Polishing

Iroshana

Alloy wheels on my pickup truck is having a bad look. I tried to wash it away but doesn't work. Need to polish them to have a good shine. The wheel having a kind of texture and not easy to remove dirt from the wheel. Please see the below picture and give me some idea to make it shining. (Need some work to do in new year holidays :D )

img6644rd8.th.jpg

Alloy wheels on my pickup truck is having a bad look. I tried to wash it away but doesn't work. Need to polish them to have a good shine. The wheel having a kind of texture and not easy to remove dirt from the wheel. Please see the below picture and give me some idea to make it shining. (Need some work to do in new year holidays :D )

img6644rd8.th.jpg

I guess you need to resurface the metal in your case. There is a place near Royal Park and they do the Alloy refurbishing. Don’t have any experience with them though. Can get the directions from the Tyre/Alloy shop next to the Seemans garage in Wellikada – Rajagiriya.

I guess you need to resurface the metal in your case. There is a place near Royal Park and they do the Alloy refurbishing. Don’t have any experience with them though. Can get the directions from the Tyre/Alloy shop next to the Seemans garage in Wellikada – Rajagiriya.

Thank you very much for the information. That means I cannot do anythin at home. :( Will visit there after new year holidays.

Thank you very much for the information. That means I cannot do anythin at home. :( Will visit there after new year holidays.

you could always try using some carwash-liquid and a brush with hard bristles (like a toothbrush but much bigger of course, will take days with a toothbrush:D)

and then maybe some compound on the flat surfaces? (but some alloy metals have a laquor (is that how you spell it) on the wheel, so if you have that compounding might not be a good idea.

By the image you posted your alloys would probably need to be sand blasted or chemically stripped to bear metal and then repainted.

This actually can be done by you if you had the right kit, which is not very easy to find in SL ......... so it might be cheaper and easier as ash suggests to hand them over to a place who does it for a living.

img6644rd8.th.jpg

If at all possible, look into getting them chromed. Polishing will look nice for a short period and they will go dull and back to looking like your picture. If you have to polish them, after you're done, take them by a car paint shop and have them put a couple of coats of clear.

Iroshana,

I Distribute Alloy wheels Locally. Due to this we also inform customers who to look after the wheel they Purchase from us.

Alloy wheel care is very Important if not you will loose the Glossy / Shiny Effect on your Wheel.

Most of the New Alloy wheels are Manufactured with a Diamond Cut Polish.

Due to this Do NOT use Detergents Like DASH CAR WASH or an other Locally Manufactured Car Wash in Highly Concentrated Form. Water Content / Car Wash should be 90 / 10 If you consider any Local Car Washes.

Also Remember - Use of Kerosene Oil / Or MUD dissolving / MUD removal Chemicals will Damage the Wheels Instantly.

Above Chemicals are used at Service Stations. These Chemicals will Damage and eat the Outer Layer of Alloys and will reduce the Gloss.

Iroshana you can polish your wheels - but you will need some kind of machine. The Symptoms are that you have not constantly washed the mud away. With Time they eat on to the Top Layer and It makes it hard to polish.

Velocity - thanks very much for the useful hints. So if we are using quality car wash products (like eagleone or polygaze) such low concentration is not necessary I guess?

By the way are you also selling chrome wheels. I got a car last week and looks like the alloys need replacing. I heard buffing (restoring) is not fully effective. Do you know how much 15" Chrome wheel prices start at?

Edited by Astra Fan

Velocity - thanks very much for the useful hints. So if we are using quality car wash products (like eagleone or polygaze) such low concentration is not necessary I guess?

By the way are you also selling chrome wheels. I got a car last week and looks like the alloys need replacing. I heard buffing (restoring) is not fully effective. Do you know how much 15" Chrome wheel prices start at?

Prices for ordinary alloys start in at around 10,000~15,000 for used and from about 30,000 upwards fro B/New

Chrome rims are a little harder to find though....

i do have a set, but they're 16" 's

Iroshana,

I Distribute Alloy wheels Locally. Due to this we also inform customers who to look after the wheel they Purchase from us.

Alloy wheel care is very Important if not you will loose the Glossy / Shiny Effect on your Wheel.

Most of the New Alloy wheels are Manufactured with a Diamond Cut Polish.

Due to this Do NOT use Detergents Like DASH CAR WASH or an other Locally Manufactured Car Wash in Highly Concentrated Form. Water Content / Car Wash should be 90 / 10 If you consider any Local Car Washes.

Also Remember - Use of Kerosene Oil / Or MUD dissolving / MUD removal Chemicals will Damage the Wheels Instantly.

Above Chemicals are used at Service Stations. These Chemicals will Damage and eat the Outer Layer of Alloys and will reduce the Gloss.

Iroshana you can polish your wheels - but you will need some kind of machine. The Symptoms are that you have not constantly washed the mud away. With Time they eat on to the Top Layer and It makes it hard to polish.

Velocity,

Thank you very much for the information. Seems them are very very useful for me and also others who cares alloy wheels. I always like to keep my wheels shining but the mentioned pickup truck we got recently with damaged alloys (No shine). I just want to make them shining.

The point u mentioned to NOT to use Kerosene is very important. Because most of service stations are using locally manufactured car wash along with Kerosene. Seems its very harmful for alloys. I believe its not good for the paint also. (Please correct me if I'm not).

I have seen in previous replies "Mani" asked me to coat it with clear paint after polishing. Is it ok to do? I think clear paint is also having chemicals which could damage the alloys. Appreciate further clarifications since you're in the alloy field.

Iroshana.

Devinda - well in my case I have to replace both my tyres and rims I dont even mind going for 16" if it fits :S Anyway are these new or used ones? How much are you expecting?

By the way i read somwhere that in Europe production of chrome wheels have been banned as it is not an environment friendly process.

Devinda - well in my case I have to replace both my tyres and rims I dont even mind going for 16" if it fits :S Anyway are these new or used ones? How much are you expecting?

By the way i read somwhere that in Europe production of chrome wheels have been banned as it is not an environment friendly process.

Its not quite right for me to discuss this any further on the forums, but your welcome to drop me an email - ref. my profile

Its not quite right for me to discuss this any further on the forums, but your welcome to drop me an email - ref. my profile

Devinda I am somehow not allowed to send messages to you. Instead I sent a mail to your hotmail quite some time back. Did you see it?