• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

California: Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering

Pericles

well i thought it was sorta unfair to charge a person for having more power etc on their rides and accuse them for street racing when they haven't been caught while doing the act <_<

Just by owning a fully pumped up muscled car doesn't necessarily mean that person is a street racer :action-smiley-060:

i'm sure SOMEONE would have challenged this fining in court.. not a single country hat i know charges a person of a crime before it has been committed (except for things like attempted murder/robbery etc).

Its like saying "you have a gun, why do you have it if you dont intend to shoot someone with it" (quite applicable int he US context i'd say)

i'm sure SOMEONE would have challenged this fining in court.. not a single country hat i know charges a person of a crime before it has been committed (except for things like attempted murder/robbery etc).

Its like saying "you have a gun, why do you have it if you dont intend to shoot someone with it" (quite applicable int he US context i'd say)

true true :)

never new illegal possession of stuff applied to horsepower and other car mods...

"Owners of imported sport compact cars had gathered"

maybe they only want pumped up american muscle cars on their roads and not "imports" :P

Most of the ticket if not all have a very good chance of being dismissed if these guys decide to fight. Thing is most will not fight and just pay the fines. They can't search a vehicle without a court issued warrant nor can they inspect under the hood without said warrant. Mechanical infractions such as the front license plate, tinted windows are another issue. These are minor tickets and don't cost much and do not effect your driving record. The fact that they were not allowed to leave also falls under "false imprisonment" which can be fought in a court and has a very good chance at victory.

These clowns count on most people just paying the fines and not fight.

When did US fall in economy , it will be acceptable of SL has done because of the current situation, BUT US they are already rich why do they do this.

Its thier money and thier car , they can modify (my car my petrol plicy )

World is turning crazy ..................................... : :mrstraetz: car-smiley-011: :car-smiley-002:

:car-smiley-001::grinning-smiley-036:

The traffic law in this stupid state is ridiculous. You can't change an air filter without having a CARB approved sticker on it [CARB = California Air Research Board]. You can't vent anything to the outside air such as a blow off valve. You can't change an intake or modify an exhaust... on and on and on...

At the same time, the police is required to fallow a set of very strict rules in obtaining those infractions. They can't just pull you over and inspect under your hood without a reasonable cause to do so. Nor can they search your vehicle unless there is a reasonable cause to do so. The reasonable cause comes in where they have to personally witness an infraction. So what's under your hood, which can't be seen from outside, is not an option for them as they will have no reasonable cause to believe that something is modified if they can't see it. You can have a gun under your seat and if they don't follow the proper protocol to get that evidence, i.e. if they search the car illegally, they can't use that as evidence in a court of law. These guys rounding people up because they happen to be in a public location and site them for infraction arbitrarilly is actually against the law.

I fight every traffic ticket I ever get regardless if I'm in the wrong or not. It's not up to me to prove I broke the law. It's up to the Police. So far I'm 1 for 7 and all of them for speeding. Most of the time if you fight and drag these cases through the legal system, the district attorney just don't want to spend his resources on petty traffic cases and will drop the charges.

Edited by Mani

The traffic law in this stupid state is ridiculous. You can't change an air filter without having a CARB approved sticker on it [CARB = California Air Research Board]. You can't vent anything to the outside air such as a blow off valve. You can't change an intake or modify an exhaust... on and on and on...

At the same time, the police is required to fallow a set of very strict rules in obtaining those infractions. They can't just pull you over and inspect under your hood without a reasonable cause to do so. Nor can they search your vehicle unless there is a reasonable cause to do so. The reasonable cause comes in where they have to personally witness an infraction. So what's under your hood, which can't be seen from outside, is not an option for them as they will have no reasonable cause to believe that something is modified if they can't see it. You can have a gun under your seat and if they don't follow the proper protocol to get that evidence, i.e. if they search the car illegally, they can't use that as evidence in a court of law. These guys rounding people up because they happen to be in a public location and site them for infraction arbitrarilly is actually against the law.

I fight every traffic ticket I ever get regardless if I'm in the wrong or not. It's not up to me to prove I broke the law. It's up to the Police. So far I'm 1 for 7 and all of them for speeding. Most of the time if you fight and drag these cases through the legal system, the district attorney just don't want to spend his resources on petty traffic cases and will drop the charges.

man, care to share on what basis you contest these tickets as I found your comments quite interesting !

Quite applicable I would say....

One morning a husband returns after several hours of fishing and decides to take a nap. Although not familiar with the lake, his wife decides to take the boat out. She motors out a short distance, anchors, and read her book. Along comes a Game Warden in his boat. He pulls up alongside the woman and says;

'Good morning, Ma'am. What are you doing?'

'Reading a book,' she replies, (thinking, 'Isn't that obvious?')

'You're in a Restricted Fishing Area,' he informs her.

'I'm sorry, officer, but I'm not fishing. I'm reading.'

'Yes, but you've all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment. I have to take you in and write you up.'

'If you do that, I'll have to charge you with sexual assault,' says the woman.

'But I haven't even touched you,' says the game warden.

'That's true, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment.'

'Have a nice day ma'am,' and he left.

well i thought it was sorta unfair to charge a person for having more power etc on their rides and accuse them for street racing when they haven't been caught while doing the act <_<

Just by owning a fully pumped up muscled car doesn't necessarily mean that person is a street racer :action-smiley-060:

Yeah... this is hilarious..!!

It's like charging all women for prostitution... :angry-smiley-048: I mean, they are well equipped for it, though they don;t use it..

Cops are cops, all over the world..!

man, care to share on what basis you contest these tickets as I found your comments quite interesting !

We are bunch of car guys so if you want to call me out; you don’t have to be so polite <_<

I would’ve said something like

“Hey man, I don’t believe a word you’re saying. I think you’re full of Sh**”

Sound off like you got a pair.

Let see if I can tell you how I’ve been doing this so far and hopefully, this will help other local guys who are in this board.

When you’re caught speeding there is not much of a base that you can stand on. So fighting it under a basis is pointless as you will lose. If you’re in the right and you think you can prove your point, at that point you fight it on what ever basis that applies.

That being said, there are several ways you can fight a ticket here in California.

First of all, when you’re cited for a traffic violation you are required to appear in front of a judge. The initial appearance is to enter a plea. You have three choices.

1. Plead “guilty” and pay the fine and a point or two is added to your driving record

2. Please “no contest” which is the same as pleading guilty but without admitting guilt.

3. Plead “not guilty” and go to trial.

Most people will chose to do the first 2. This is the preferred method of the court as it is revenue for the state. However if you so chose to plead not guilty, you will get a trial date. This trial date can be anywhere from 30-60 days from the day you entered the guilty plea.

The basis of which I fight most of my tickets and have been very successful is to initially plead “not guilty” and get a trial date. Your main goal in this case is to make is as difficult for the officer. Second, you call the issuing officer’s precinct and find out if he’s working the AM or the PM shift. Very easy conversation as all you have to do is ask for the officer when you call. The officer’s name is on your ticket so you already know that. When you call, the dispatcher will usually tell you if the officer is out on petrol or not reported for work yet or have the day off. For this argument sake, let’s assume the officer is working the AM shift. Reason behind this is to see if you can schedule a court time when he is off duty so making it to the court house is a burden for him. If you can get a date when it's his day off, you have a better than average chance of him not showing up.

About two days before your scheduled trial date, you call the court and ask for an extension. Make up a valid excuse why you can’t keep the court date. Being sick is a great one.

By the time the court process your paperwork they will not have enough time to notify the officer who must attend or the case will be dismissed. If he attends the court will then let him know that the trial date has been changed. You do the same for the next trial date as well. Call couple of days before the trial date and get an extension. You do this until they refuse to extend it any further. Most cases the officer will not show up as it has been dragged on for too long and showing up each time to only get a new court date will frustrate the office and he’ll sit this one out, in most cases. In this particular case, when you show up for the trial and the officer is not there, by law, the ticket must be dismissed.

The next defense that I have used successfully is when you’re caught speeding with radar. If you’re not lead vehicle there is no way the officer can prove that he was able to clock your speed with his radar. Radar’s are incapable of going around objects. If you’re not the lead vehicle and you get pulled over as a pack, which often happen when we go for group drives/rides, the officer can only cite the leading vehicle. However, they will often write the entire pack for the same speed. Everyone but the leading vehicle can get off if they contest this type of ticket. Done this twice very successfully.

Lastly, and if you’re guilty and there is not much hope of the ticket is dismissed, you can request a trial by declaration. This type of trial does not require anyone to be present. You fight the ticket in writing and the officer will have to do the same. You have one advantage in doing this. If you’re found guilty, you can request a second trial but in person. This is the only time where you’re found guilty yet you have the right to have the case heard again in person. Then you can revert to the first step of trying to postpone it for as long as you can. Again the main point is to drag along for as long as you can and make the process as difficult as possible for the accusing officer. With as many tickets as these guys write, dragging a case on for few months makes it too much trouble for all involved but your goal is to get the ticket dismissed.

Hope this answers your question The Don. I expect something in the mail come Christmas time.

Hugs and kisses.

Edited by Mani

We are bunch of car guys so if you want to call me out; you don’t have to be so polite <_<

I would’ve said something like

“Hey man, I don’t believe a word you’re saying. I think you’re full of Sh**”

Sound off like you got a pair.

Your rep preceded you even before you joined the forum, so I doubt you'll get a "you are full of sh**" comment. Unless its from a total n00b. ;)

Hey Mani,

Thanks for the great information, will try out one of those methods next time i have to pay a fine, didnt know about the whole thing except going to drivin school at the DMV . I feel bad now for all the fines i paid before for my speeding tickets..over $500...sux :blink: and i already got that warning lette from the circuit court...

Hey Mani,

Thanks for the great information, will try out one of those methods next time i have to pay a fine, didnt know about the whole thing except going to drivin school at the DMV . I feel bad now for all the fines i paid before for my speeding tickets..over $500...sux :blink: and i already got that warning lette from the circuit court...

We are in a hobby that inherently put us with much closer contact with the popos than the mass. It's a hard learned lesson man. :rolleyes: Give it a shot and if you're in Cali give me a holler and I'll get you more specific info.

[email protected]

yeah man,

will hit u up for sure if im in cali, right now im in chicago....hopefully this summer is gonna be great time enjoy the rides...

later.. BTW post some pics on that IS350 u got, trying to figure out whether to go with the IS or the TL TypeS

Edited by getposition

yeah man,

will hit u up for sure if im in cali, right now im in chicago....hopefully this summer is gonna be great time enjoy the rides...

later.. BTW post some pics on that IS350 u got, trying to figure out whether to go with the IS or the TL TypeS

I don't have very many pictures of the IS but here are few that I happen to take on a day that all three of us got popped for speeding :angry-smiley-002:

I would highly recommend the IS 350 over the TL-S. This car is a killer sports sedan. Handles great, fairly fast and you know about Lexus quality is second to none. My only complaint is that no manual trans available with the 350.

You can get more detailed information by going here

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html

My ride

DSCN1760.jpg

DSCN1762.jpg

DSCN1766.jpg

DSCN1758.jpg

Edited by Mani

Please don’t take this as a personnel bashing this is simply my point of view. IMO the ‘stunts’ you pull are going to reflect very bad on Asians (I’m on about brown boys) as a whole. You may be getting away from the cops but when they get hold of a brown boy next time they are going to take that frustration on him. There are speed limits for a reason. You break the rules you pay the price. Look at all the trouble majority of us have to go through to obtain a visa to go to some countries for a holiday. You have to jump through lot of hoops simply because handful of idiots pulled some ‘stunts’ previously.

Mani,

those are nice pics, i like the Z but one of my boyz had a Z which had some alignment problems and ended up suing Nissan. thats the thing with the IS350 where the type S has manual trans...guess ill wait till or go with a TSX.

p.s thanx for the amazing pics with the background, in IL u dont see this typa roads...

Please don’t take this as a personnel bashing this is simply my point of view. IMO the ‘stunts’ you pull are going to reflect very bad on Asians (I’m on about brown boys) as a whole. You may be getting away from the cops but when they get hold of a brown boy next time they are going to take that frustration on him. There are speed limits for a reason. You break the rules you pay the price. Look at all the trouble majority of us have to go through to obtain a visa to go to some countries for a holiday. You have to jump through lot of hoops simply because handful of idiots pulled some ‘stunts’ previously.

I think it's a pretty broad statement and I'm going to have to disagree with your point of view. Us brown people [indians, Pakistani and Sri Lankans] are not getting any sort of bad name because some of us were cited for traffic offenses. If the total sum of traffic tickets given out last moth is totaled and you look at how many so called brown fellows are in that group, I'm fairly comfortable in saying that it's going to be much less than .1%

Traffic offenses are not considered a criminal offense [most anyway] and they are a major part of a state's revenue.

I'm not a psychologist, but I think the point of your above post is that you may be having a hard time getting a visa and you're blaming it on, or at the very least bitter about it to, those of us who have the said visa. I highly doubt that you will be denied a visa because your country men are out getting traffic tickets.

Comparing the lunatics that chose to blow themselves up and pilot planes into tall buildings to someone who was given a traffic ticket is like trying to kill a mosquito with a shot gun, don't you think?

Edited by Mani

I think it's a pretty broad statement and I'm going to have to disagree with your point of view. Us brown people [indians, Pakistani and Sri Lankans] are not getting any sort of bad name because some of us were cited for traffic offenses. If the total sum of traffic tickets given out last moth is totaled and you look at how many so called brown fellows are in that group, I'm fairly comfortable in saying that it's going to be much less than .1%

Traffic offenses are not considered a criminal offense [most anyway] and they are a major part of a state's revenue.

I'm not a psychologist, but I think the point of your above post is that you may be having a hard time getting a visa and you're blaming it on, or at the very least bitter about it to, those of us who have the said visa. I highly doubt that you will be denied a visa because your country men are out getting traffic tickets.

Comparing the lunatics that chose to blow themselves up and pilot planes into tall buildings to someone who was given a traffic ticket is like trying to kill a mosquito with a shot gun, don't you think?

I started this post by saying this is not a personnel bashing yet you want to play it dirty. I’m not going to degrade myself to your low level and declare WW3.

Immigration is one of many areas that is effected because of such behavior which the ‘majority’ of the forum members can relate to.

Another classic example is the recent clap down by SL police on performance cars just because handful of rice boys was causing havoc on the roads. People with genuine performance cars had to get certificates from the local agents to prevent the cops from ceasing their exhaust pipes.

I’m sure the copper remember the one brown boy he pulled on the day compared to the 10-20 white boys he pulled earlier.

Edited by xXx

I started this post by saying this is not a personnel bashing yet you want to play it dirty. I’m not going to degrade myself to your low level and declare WW3.

Immigration is one of many areas that is effected because of such behavior which the ‘majority’ of the forum members can relate to.

Another classic example is the recent clap down by SL police on performance cars just because handful of rice boys was causing havoc on the roads. People with genuine performance cars had to get certificates from the local agents to prevent the cops from ceasing their exhaust pipes.

I’m sure the copper remember the one brown boy he pulled on the day compared to the 10-20 white boys he pulled earlier.

xXx,

Go back and re-read your first post. Just because you started you statement with "don't take it as a personal bashing" doesn't mean that it's not. The fact that you began your statement with such a qualification indicates that in your mind you already knew that it is a bashing. This is the internet and keyboard warriors are all over the place. Pointing out a silly statement is not playing dirty, IMO. but you're entitled to your opinion.

You may want to get your facts straight before jumping into a discussion and make a blanket statement as you have on your two statements. Since we are discussing the traffic law issues in CALIFORNIA, lets bring it back to the topic at hand.

First of all, your issues with getting a visa has as much to do with this discussion topic as discussing what you had for dinner last night. Secondly, what facts do you base your argument on? Is there somekind of a statistics that you're aware of that no one else know about? Or are you just "speaking out of your ass?"

I'm not here to get into these petty and stupid little mindless arguments with someone who's bitter about something and making mindless comments. So if you know of ANY facts to show us all that the "brown people", as you mentioned are prosecuted by others getting traffic tickets or that a visa to another country is denide on the basis of trafic violations from your contry men, please feel free to post up those studies and facts.

If you're having trouble in SL with the cops and them taking away whatever and you need to get whatever to keep your car or it's modification, welcome to the club. We all have to go through crap to deal with the law. However, I'm not going to go around making statements holding a Sri Lankan responsible for crap that goes on over here, which you happen to be doing in reverse order.

Try and see if you can keep in topic and discuss this issue intelligently so you don't have to "degrade your self to my low level"

If you want to keep talking shit, I'm a master at that, so if the admins are okay with it, roll up your sleeve and let's have at it. Otherwise you may want to go cry about your life issues to someone else as I certainly don't give a flying F**** about it.