• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer Box

fatjoe

Question

Hi guys, I have a Misubishi Lancer ( Box Model) YOM 1980. I'm thinking of replacing the engine with power steering. What do guys suggest? What's the engine that I can go for? What else should I replace? Where do you think the best to find this? And the rough cost. I immidiatly wanna replace the Carburetor for the existing engine. I would appreciate if you guys can suggest a place to buy this.

Cheers

Hi guys, I have a Misubishi Lancer ( Box Model) YOM 1980. I'm thinking of replacing the engine with power steering. What do guys suggest? What's the engine that I can go for? What else should I replace? Where do you think the best to find this? And the rough cost. I immidiatly wanna replace the Carburetor for the existing engine. I would appreciate if you guys can suggest a place to buy this.

Cheers

This is just a personal comment but that car is one of the best Lancers ever made and has always been very popular. Why try to spoil a good thing by replacing an already good engine ?.

The carburettor may be repairable, so try an expert like the carburettor banda as he is known in kosgas handiya. You should be able to find a replacement in the place known as "the watte" in panchikawatte along the canal.

As for power steering I guess you are on much more solid ground on that one though you would need to be very careful as there is no original PS conversion kit for this car (since it never came with power steering to my knowledge. if it did sourcing the original steering rack and the pump is always the best choice)

PS conversions used to cost 15-20K and there was a company advertising on the Sunday Observer classifieds. but this was some time back.

This is just a personal comment but that car is one of the best Lancers ever made and has always been very popular. Why try to spoil a good thing by replacing an already good engine ?.

The carburettor may be repairable, so try an expert like the carburettor banda as he is known in kosgas handiya. You should be able to find a replacement in the place known as "the watte" in panchikawatte along the canal.

As for power steering I guess you are on much more solid ground on that one though you would need to be very careful as there is no original PS conversion kit for this car (since it never came with power steering to my knowledge. if it did sourcing the original steering rack and the pump is always the best choice)

PS conversions used to cost 15-20K and there was a company advertising on the Sunday Observer classifieds. but this was some time back.

Thanks for the advice Don. Yeah couple other ppl too told me da same story. But what I’m worried is abt the Engine compression. I mean isn’t it too old for an engine? (28 yrs) What do ya advice? Is it beta to go for an overhaul? Isn’t it more expensive and troublesome? As for power steering I have no prob with wat it has now. What I was thinking was if replacing the engine Y not with an engine with power steering. Please give ya tots on this.

Thanks for the advice Don. Yeah couple other ppl too told me da same story. But what I’m worried is abt the Engine compression. I mean isn’t it too old for an engine? (28 yrs) What do ya advice? Is it beta to go for an overhaul? Isn’t it more expensive and troublesome? As for power steering I have no prob with wat it has now. What I was thinking was if replacing the engine Y not with an engine with power steering. Please give ya tots on this.

Machang y do u want to change your engine just because its old. Look I run an even older engine my car (4G33 - Lancer Tube Light Model).

Its not the orion engine though its a Saturn engine with a 1400cc displacement. Mine runs just fine I do some maniac driving when none of my home people are around and have touched 90kmph on second, mind you without any modification to the engine.

So my personnal suggestion is dont change a good engine because its old, you might even end up with a really bad engine, and it will suck big time.

Why do you need power Steering on a very light car like that?? I dont know what sorta driver you are but I need to tell you that with Japanese Power Steering units the driving pleasure is very distant. keep your original if you are a person who likes to drive, this way you know what the car is doing properly.

acording 2 da my knolage u need p/steering box n pump only.there is no rack on this modle.but thing is very deficult find da p /steering box.try find galant a163 modle p/steering box i thik its ok for lancer box .L 200 2*4 p/steering box also can fix with out any modification.

I actually learnt driving in my fathers Lancer box when I was a 10year kid (no body never knew that I take the car when they’re not at home) :action-smiley-060: I would say it’s one of the best machines I’ve driven. I actually didn’t notice it’s not power steering till you mention that.

My advice is to keep it original as much as you can without many mods.

Hey fatjoe,

As Gummybr explained its better to keep it as it is unless a major repair is required. Even i drive a car which is 20 years old & still runs smoothly. Mine is a 1987 Mitsubishi 1.3 Colt Hatch. Anyways mine was power steering converted when i bought it but personally do not feel much of a difference, obviously you won't get the comfort of a factory fitted car because it was not meant to be. Keep it technically sound with the original spec's & for me it gives real driving pleasure. By the way I can give you the contact number of that Carburator expert (now its done by his son) as I also need to visit him. Hopefully by tomorrow I will add the mobile number to this thread.

Cheers

EVO_Croozer

Thanks for all da advise guys. I think I'll stick with original and original specs as it would be da best for da car and my pocket too.(lol) anyway guys wat do you suggest abt the repairs i should do for the engine. Coz I don feel the smoothness of smooth engine. Guess it needs some repaaires here and there and good to go. I drsly don want a engine replacement or power steering. As I mentiond wat I was thinking is if replacing the engine Y not with a power steering. Tnx again for the advise. Guys please let me know wat would be the touches i should do for the engeine for a smother drive.

Thanks for all da advise guys. I think I'll stick with original and original specs as it would be da best for da car and my pocket too.(lol) anyway guys wat do you suggest abt the repairs i should do for the engine. Coz I don feel the smoothness of smooth engine. Guess it needs some repaaires here and there and good to go. I drsly don want a engine replacement or power steering. As I mentiond wat I was thinking is if replacing the engine Y not with a power steering. Tnx again for the advise. Guys please let me know wat would be the touches i should do for the engeine for a smother drive.

1. Do a full overhaul of the steering system rack ends tie rod ends and also check the suspension and replace all worn components.

2. if the engine is under compression get it overhauled by a reputable machine shop (I reccomend Lal & Nihal or Samarasinghe )

3. Get the carburettor cleaned and if needed reconditioned using an original repair kit.

4. Check your engine mounts

5. After all maintainance work is completed get your car serviced, change all the oils and filters and the spark plugs and get your car tuned by a reputable person

I think the car should be A1 after that.

Nice car, i learnt to drive on one too. By the way, what happens to cars like these?In the early 90s there used to be so many of these on the road, kinda like nissan sunnys these days. Now youd be lucky to see one a month. Where do they all go? Not only these cars but the older cars in general..

Nice car, i learnt to drive on one too. By the way, what happens to cars like these?In the early 90s there used to be so many of these on the road, kinda like nissan sunnys these days. Now youd be lucky to see one a month. Where do they all go? Not only these cars but the older cars in general..

They generally start migrating to other parts of the country.

Man I learnt Driving in a way bigger car bigger than a average japanese car. Fiat Mirafirori 131. Beleive me it was confortable like a Merc. i could not look over the steering. I was looking through it. The driving posiotion was so comfortable I was able to drive it even on the main road looking through the steering wheel. I must have been 9- or 10. Dose were da days.

If you want to see immaculate condition old lancer's, Galants and Pajero's visit Ratnapura and its suburbs!

you dont need to replace the engine to make your car power steering. just buy a power steering pump and fix it to your existing engine. 4G12, 4G13, and 4G15 engine types all have the same pumps. there is no power steering rack for this model. it comes with a power steering box.

heres a link to the pic http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo26/karl_01_2009/05062010007.jpg

a new engine will cost you 75000/= without gbox. kinda expensive. old it gets, the more expensive the parts get.

its advisable to repair your old engine depending on the condition.

you dont need to replace the engine to make your car power steering. just buy a power steering pump and fix it to your existing engine. 4G12, 4G13, and 4G15 engine types all have the same pumps. there is no power steering rack for this model. it comes with a power steering box.

heres a link to the pic http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo26/karl_01_2009/05062010007.jpg

a new engine will cost you 75000/= without gbox. kinda expensive. old it gets, the more expensive the parts get.

its advisable to repair your old engine depending on the condition.

black death can you please tell me where i can get a lancer box engine,,,,,

osted 18 April 2011 - 09:52 PM

fatjoe, on 16 April 2008 - 10:03 AM, said:

Mine is also from Ratnapura.

:angry: i hope you completed your restoration with the car..please do let us know :(

Sad to say guys. My L. Box is still under restoration. and I had to face some personnel (very bad ones) Difficulties while it was going through da restoration. Dat too delayed da project.

Edited by fatjoe

osted 18 April 2011 - 09:52 PM

fatjoe, on 16 April 2008 - 10:03 AM, said:

Mine is also from Ratnapura.

:angry: i hope you completed your restoration with the car..please do let us know :(

Sad to say guys. My L. Box is still under restoration. and I had to face some personnel (very bad ones) Difficulties while it was going through da restoration. Dat too delayed da project.

it is sad to hear your bad times...but if they are related to the car industry i would not mind hearing them....so please free to share them