• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Evo_croozer Needs Help On Upgrade :o)

Croozer

Hi machangs,

Need some serious advice on an upgrade that I am planning ahead.

Well as some of you might recall, presently I use an old school 1.3 Mitsubishi Colt mainly for weekend running & on the weekdays its basically parked @ home as I can't afford to pump to travel to office on a daily basis.

Anyways I will be changing my employer from next month onwards where I will be entitled for a vehicle allowance B) So ideally my schedule is going to be around approx 40 Km's per day (to office & back) plus may be around 60 Km's during the weekend.

Well I have digged into many old threads & also have done a bit of home work, yet appreciate the expert comments & advices from you seniors. Some of my concerns are :

1. At present some says that a diesel machine would be the most intelligent decision. But what I've heard so far is that maintenence & repairs are gonna cost me huge bucks :huh: Appreciate if you guys can share your experiences & thoughts on this .... My personal preference still remains with a petrol machine though.

2. Ideally I am talking about a budget of approx 1 to max 1.2 mil (ie sell my present ride + lease/loan out balance) & so far would love to think of a starlet or a corolla 110/111. Heard that the DX is also a great machine. Guys pls let me know what would be the most ideal vehicle within these para meters. Appreciate options for both diesel & petrol. As I am still new to the motoring scene appreciate mention of specific make/models so that I will have a clearer idea.

3. What would be the best financial solution under the present economic situ ? Leasing or a Personal loan ? Pls shed some light on the positive / negative sides of both these options. Anyways I have to sell my present ride & may be lease / loan out the balance.

Hope I haven't loaded one single thread with so much o' questions :B)

Anyways guys pls share your experiences & advices at your convenience which will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

EVO_Croozer.

Hi machangs,

Need some serious advice on an upgrade that I am planning ahead.

Well as some of you might recall, presently I use an old school 1.3 Mitsubishi Colt mainly for weekend running & on the weekdays its basically parked @ home as I can't afford to pump to travel to office on a daily basis.

Anyways I will be changing my employer from next month onwards where I will be entitled for a vehicle allowance B) So ideally my schedule is going to be around approx 40 Km's per day (to office & back) plus may be around 60 Km's during the weekend.

Well I have digged into many old threads & also have done a bit of home work, yet appreciate the expert comments & advices from you seniors. Some of my concerns are :

1. At present some says that a diesel machine would be the most intelligent decision. But what I've heard so far is that maintenence & repairs are gonna cost me huge bucks :huh: Appreciate if you guys can share your experiences & thoughts on this .... My personal preference still remains with a petrol machine though.

2. Ideally I am talking about a budget of approx 1 to max 1.2 mil (ie sell my present ride + lease/loan out balance) & so far would love to think of a starlet or a corolla 110/111. Heard that the DX is also a great machine. Guys pls let me know what would be the most ideal vehicle within these para meters. Appreciate options for both diesel & petrol. As I am still new to the motoring scene appreciate mention of specific make/models so that I will have a clearer idea.

3. What would be the best financial solution under the present economic situ ? Leasing or a Personal loan ? Pls shed some light on the positive / negative sides of both these options. Anyways I have to sell my present ride & may be lease / loan out the balance.

Hope I haven't loaded one single thread with so much o' questions :B)

Anyways guys pls share your experiences & advices at your convenience which will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

EVO_Croozer.

Hi Evo,

Congratulations on your new job.

First and foremost about diesel cars, I'm sorry to say that it would be quite difficult to get a good diesel car from your budget. The problem is a lot of diesel cars have very high miles on them, some of them were not always kept that well and others like the SB 13 lets just say did not age very gracefully. If you are lucky you might be able to get a CE100 in reasonable condition for that money or a Starlet diesel but you would need to really hunt for a good example.

Could I ask is there a particular reason you want to upgrade beyond the urge to drive a newer car (something we all have !) The reason I ask this is thanks to inflation I expect the interest levels would be really high in SL these days making leases and personal loans quite expensive propositions over time so I guess if one was to be objective if there is nothing wrong with your current car perhaps it might be wise to wait for the rates to drop a bit or buy a car with cash outright.

Usually the terms of a personal loan is slightly favorable compared to a lease, and if you are getting a lease you must always consider going to a bank rather than a finance company as their terms and rates are a bit better. Peoples leasing is one of the better companies in my opinion (my dad worked for a finance company for a long time and considered them quite a rip off, he is retired now).

Good luck on your hunt

The Don

like Don said, you might not be able to get a good diesel for the budget. but i must say i disagree with the huge cost thingy...a well used and maintained diesel costs less on maintenance and repairs than the average petrol car..i've had a cr41 for over 7 years in the family, and it was only once that it went to a mechanic within those 7 years!!! and that also was to replace some bushes...

Hi Evo,

Congratulations on your new job.

First and foremost about diesel cars, I'm sorry to say that it would be quite difficult to get a good diesel car from your budget. The problem is a lot of diesel cars have very high miles on them, some of them were not always kept that well and others like the SB 13 lets just say did not age very gracefully. If you are lucky you might be able to get a CE100 in reasonable condition for that money or a Starlet diesel but you would need to really hunt for a good example.

Could I ask is there a particular reason you want to upgrade beyond the urge to drive a newer car (something we all have !) The reason I ask this is thanks to inflation I expect the interest levels would be really high in SL these days making leases and personal loans quite expensive propositions over time so I guess if one was to be objective if there is nothing wrong with your current car perhaps it might be wise to wait for the rates to drop a bit or buy a car with cash outright.

Usually the terms of a personal loan is slightly favorable compared to a lease, and if you are getting a lease you must always consider going to a bank rather than a finance company as their terms and rates are a bit better. Peoples leasing is one of the better companies in my opinion (my dad worked for a finance company for a long time and considered them quite a rip off, he is retired now).

Good luck on your hunt

The Don

Hey Don,

Thanks for sharing your concerns & advice.

Well as you explained my main motive behind upgrading is purely ego driven, i mean as you said "the urge to drive a newer car (something we all have !)" But as you adviced I can continue to use my present ride which is in very good technical condition. (On the other hand I also can save some bucks on the longer run as I have been very weak into savings :unsure: ) The only area I need to look in my present ride is tinkering & painting which I haven't touched upon due to financial reasons. Do you think its worth spending about 1.5 lakhs & getting the job done "completely & properly" ?

Cheers

EC

Edited by EVO_Croozer

Hey bro,

This is news to me man :rolleyes:

Tks for sharing your bit of experience.

Cheers

I'd say it's the average servicing cost of a diesel is significantly higher than that of a petrol vehicle...maybe the saving in fuel costs might offset things a bit but when diesel repairs do come...they are usually more expensive than the same for petrol ones... maybe that was the point Don was trying to make...

A properly maintained diesel might give you good service without too much of grief but so would a petrol... the point is that when diesels do break down they are more costly affairs...

and then there are people who don't like the performance of older diesels too but that's a personal choice you gotta make i guess...

like DOn rightly said... i personal loan would be a better deal for you than a lease but i suspect the procedures and requirements for a loan will be tougher than for a lease... Banks are a bit weary of non paying customers etc... at least that's what i heard from an insider :)

In my view...if you can go for a better ride... go for it.. the older cars only get older and the gap between the older and the newer ones will only widen the way i see it...

And apart from "egoistic" reasons like you say... a newer car will give you better "overall onboard experience" :lol:

If you prefer toyotas an AE110 is a good choice... just ask Nilantha :)

Dude,

i honestly don't think diesel repairs are as serious as some people make it sound.. example, our house has had 6 diesel's and the only repair that was done was an overhaul on the gemini at about 250,000km... which i think was acceptable and cost around 40-50k if i remember right... but i'm sure that amount was easily saved on fuel on the car which does around 11kmpl in colombo, once got 13! But anyway, diesels really arent that much a horror.

Edited by Dilesh

and theres always the eg 8 :D

and I'd also reccomend a personal loan. If you want, drop me a mail on [email protected]

got mine through a friend in under a week and in he helped out some of my buds as well.

the only challenge would be to find a good specimen since this model in particular has been subjected to a lot of abuse by their users...

before i went for a sprinter i checked out about 4-5 of them...few of them on AL itself but though the exteriors were at times quite fancy the mechanical condition was very poor...

there was this one particular black eg8 with low profiles etc that could've been outrun by bicycle at low end torque terms :lol:

Dude,

i honestly don't think diesel repairs are as serious as some people make it sound.. example, our house has had 6 diesel's and the only repair that was done was an overhaul on the gemini at about 250,000km... which i think was acceptable and cost around 40-50k if i remember right... but i'm sure that amount was easily saved on fuel on the car which does around 11kmpl in colombo, once got 13! But anyway, diesels really arent that much a horror.

I don't think Diesels are a horror to maintain either. Finding one in decent shape for a reasonable price is the problem especially when it comes to cars. Vans seem to fare much better.

I would stay clear of EG8's as its quite difficult to find a good example at a reasonable price. A lot of cars in the market have been "modified" and not all of these modifications add value to the vehicle. They are also grossly over priced due to their popularity and their potential for modification. But if you are not interested in any of this its best to go for a different car.

On that price range I think the most sensible options are The Starlet, FB14, AE110 or AE111, CE100, Mazda 323 / Familia, Lancer CK2. Go for a car manufactured 1997 or later.

To be honest unless you are planning on keeping the car for a long time spending 150K on a paint job and tinkering probably isn't worth while. How extensive is the work needed as that sounds quite expensive ?!!.

This is just my personal opinion but I do not think accruing large amounts of personal debt for a motor vehicle is necessarily a wise thing. The reason is like computers motor vehicles evolve at a very rapid pace and what you think is new today would very soon become "old". I know motor vehicles also have a habit of appreciating in SL thanks to the weird rules of economics at play but they are hardly good long term investments (unless you own a rare exotic). I am not discouraging you from buying a new car or getting a loan to finance that just urging you to consider all aspects like the amount of money you you want to borrow for this purpose, especially at interests hovering around 30% for leases !.

Dude,

I Agree with Dilesh. My Parents have had diesel cars as long as I can remember. Also I've been using diesels cars for the last 2-3 years. The maintenance is not a nightmare as people would like to think.

Diesel cars are taking the world by storm these days with every manufacturer adding more diesel powered family rides and even sports cars to their list. However with the restrictive car taxes we will not be able to enjoy the latest technology diesels have to offer. But for day to day running, a diesel car will be lighter on your pocket, even after you pay for a complete engine overhaul.

Prolly OT, but since this seems to be coming up....

Myths on diesel..

1. maintenance is frequent and costly - diesel engines actually run slower than the petrols. Therefore less wear and tear. diesels are built for long life!

2. Service is costly - diesels are hardy. they are the typical workhorse, they don't need synthetic oils (do i need to say more)

3. Repairs are costly - the parts costs are more or less the same...so why should this be...?

Having said that, i personally feel that in the present market diesels are not the best option..why

1. less performance - a 2000cc diesel will be easily outdone by a 1300cc petrol

2. environment - if you really care i.e.

3. ROI - to give an example, take a 97 corolla. the diesel costs about 500000 more..now assuming the diesel (2000cc) does about 8 kmpl and the petrol (1500cc) does about 10 kmpl in traffic (which is generally the case) it costs Rs. 10.5 per km on the diesel while its about Rs. 13 per km on the petrol. which means you end up saving around 2.5 rs per km. so for you to break even on the extra 500k you spent on the diesel, you need to do at least 200000 kms !!!! so unless you plan on running a cab service, diesels are just not worth it...however if you can get one that is just slightly higher than its petrol equivalent, which is in good condition..go for it!!!

P.S. please note that i'm talking about the average diesel engines and not the high end stuff you get in modern SUV's

Edited by pissa

Congrats on the new job Evo my man.... well the "sensible" choices in the market have been covered pretty comprehensively on this thread, and everything that has been suggested can be considered a good choice in it's own right... my vote for best peace of mind would be to try and find a carefully run starlet (preferably one owned by an old lady/gent)......

Having said that though, were i in the same market... Id be going down a different route. I will admit that my choices at that range will be considered insane by a lot of people, so im not going to list 'em out here.... I do have solid justifications though, so if you want to hear 'em... gimme a shout :)

Cheers

Hey madmax & pissa (do i sound rude here, sorry bro its yo screen name end o' the day :lol:

Guys tks for your concerns & sharing own experiences, points noted.

Cheers

Thanks SN, will defa drop you a mail within the day, cheers !

Edited by EVO_Croozer