• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lights Not Powerful Enough!!

Mihirana

Question

16 answers to this question

The recently acquired Honda Civic 1.8S has headlights that doesn't go with the eligance of the car(I mean the beam intensity). Has anyone got a solution? What do people refer to as crystal lights?

in a basic sense crystal lights are the more "clearer" ones as opposed to the more opaque plastic lights...

Most of the newer generation cars come stock with crystal lights... you can find more info on the exact material used in both with some googling...

I'm guessing that when you mean beam intensity you're going after the the HID "look"...a more bluish bright white sorta light...

This can only be achieved either buy getting an HID kit or by using light bulbs that puts out light in that color range...

a rough guide is to look at the kelvin numbers on bulbs... usually the normal bulbs are around 2000kelvin upto 3000 or so...

the brighter whites start from 4000 upwards as as it heads towards 6000 and up it becomes more bluish and becomes purple around 7000k and 8000k

IMHO i think anything over 4000k is ok and is quite visually pleasing and an improvement over stock bulbs...

there have been extensive discussion on lights, technology behind them, where to buy etc etc before on this forum so use the search feature to dig up more info

The recently acquired Honda Civic 1.8S has headlights that doesn't go with the eligance of the car(I mean the beam intensity). Has anyone got a solution? What do people refer to as crystal lights?

just did a check...the car you mention has to have crystal lights and not plastic ones...

Have you considered extra headlamps??

the car is already equipped with headlamps... whatever else you put can't bee head lamps...

maybe some auxiliary driving lamps or fog lamps

true enough but you should be careful not to use them if your reflectors and the headlight itself can't handle the temperature.

I run Narwa 90/100 on stock setup... no issues at all :)

The best bulbs IMHO are the PIAA's... they are a bit pricey but can't beat the light output... Only HID's can beat them :)

I run Narwa 90/100 on stock setup... no issues at all :)

The best bulbs IMHO are the PIAA's... they are a bit pricey but can't beat the light output... Only HID's can beat them :)

what are the reflectors? chrome/metal or chrome/plastic ? I ran 100W on 504 headlights without any issue since they were chrome/metal reflectors and lenses were glass. When its plastic (reflector or lens) there may be problems, thats why manufacturer indicate the wattage of the bulb on the head light assembly.

Cheaper Alternative is to get 100W Headlight Bulbs- rally spec. HID is a bit more expensive...

But the higher wattage could damage plastic lens, so be careful. Also the blue/white temperature light doesn't travel long, they tend to flood,and suited to illuminate a wider but shorter range. That's why the HIDs come mostly for the low beam. The yellow light travels longer distance and better for high beams.

what are the reflectors? chrome/metal or chrome/plastic ? I ran 100W on 504 headlights without any issue since they were chrome/metal reflectors and lenses were glass. When its plastic (reflector or lens) there may be problems, thats why manufacturer indicate the wattage of the bulb on the head light assembly.

well it's the stock light machang. actually i didn't know i was running 100watts since the previous owner seems to have installed them. only after having th recent accident i realized i was on Narvas. Since both the lights broke in my little crash i could clearly see the reflectors and the inside of the housing... Nothing seems to have been damaged at all by the high powered bulbs...

I bought an offroad light for my bike and that lens came with stock settings of upto 150watts of power...i'm only running 55w PIAA :)

But the higher wattage could damage plastic lens, so be careful. Also the blue/white temperature light doesn't travel long, they tend to flood,and suited to illuminate a wider but shorter range. That's why the HIDs come mostly for the low beam. The yellow light travels longer distance and better for high beams.

machang HID's do come with the yellow end of the spectrum too... i think from 6000kelvin it's white and 6000+ tends to be more bluish...

There are HID bulbs for 4000kelvin or so....which is yellow light... Most these only take about 35W of power compared to the hungry halogens...

I'm thinking of an HID setup for my bike... a proper race unit with right optics.... just need the money :rolleyes:

hid's are really good i have them on my mazda 3 but its only good to use them for low beam because if you use them for high it wont work well because it takes time to heat up due to that you cant flash

#######################################

sherran

Edited by sharkster

hid's are really good i have them on my mazda 3 but its only good to use them for low beam because if you use them for high it wont work well because it takes time to heat up due to that you cant flash

#######################################

sherran

are you on stock HID's or some aftermarket setup... technically the delay shouldn't even be noticeable...

HID technology has evolved so much in the past few years...and also the prices are coming down pretty fast too :)