• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw Owners Clubs In Sri Lanka ?

pathola 1

looks like BMW is little over my budget. considering the age factor or E36 - 1992 - 1995 models, service will needed more frequently and other costs involve in it isn't it?

Doesn't that apply to EVERY car??

It all depends on how badly you want one. Don't buy it on a whim or just for a change. Or to make a statement. Buy it only if you really want one. Its like a marriage.... :) You might be stuck with her for a while and she will need a few sacrifices once in a while... :)

But it is worth it.

Edited by VVTi

Its like a marriage.... :) You might be stuck with her for a while and she will need a few sacrifices once in a while... :)

But it is worth it.

GOINT OT.

For while..?!! You need to be married boy, to realize the difference between "Awhile" and "Forever" :lol:

It all depends on how badly you want one. Don't buy it on a whim or just for a change. Or to make a statement. Buy it only if you really want one. Its like a marriage.... :) You might be stuck with her for a while and she will need a few sacrifices once in a while... :)

But it is worth it.

Yeh still not given up the idea. I was expecting double the amount of maintanence similar to Jap car. But looks like its gonna be tripple or more than that of Jap car.

Need some cash in hand/bank when moving from Guy to the Man.. will see will see.

looks like BMW is little over my budget. considering the age factor or E36 - 1992 - 1995 models, service will needed more frequently and other costs involve in it isn't it?

well let’s look at this way. you can get yourself a 121 for 2+ mil or you can get yourself a E36 for 1.5 mil and use the money as a buffer to tackle any issues E36 may or may not develop.

but then again chances of having to spend a chunk of money on the 121 due to a mechanical fault is low in comparison to the E36.

i'm confused now. i'm glad its you not me who's making the decision lol...

Don't buy it on a whim or just for a change. Or to make a statement.

damn you just list down all the reasons why i would buy a euro lol...

@VVti

You can search EBay for a BMW cable called an EDIABAS. Not very expensive about 20 dollars with shipping from China. The you can run it with the BMW EDIABAS software itself. Have tried different versions of software and you find that the BMW one is actually the best. Works with a surprising no of models. The cable actually comes with an adapter for the M54 type older circular connector and the newer OBD2 connector and works with both types.

Its actually surprising how useful this is. The BM's tend to go into open loop mode (no engine check light on as these are not serious issues) and drop performance slightly until the error is cleared. Then when you do clear them you get a good zing of performance back.

If you want to see the thing in action pm me. Will pass on details. You can download the software or get a copy from me. :) Its down loadable off the net. Lots of user groups for BM actually. There is also a working version which actually allows you to run the BMW DIS software directly off a laptop with this same cable - ie the same software they run in Prestiege. Needs a little work installing it though and havn't had the time to complete that.

Cheers,

Thanks MMX, will get on it straight away. Yes, the M52 engine in this has the circular OBD connector. That will open up a whole range of avenues for me. I intend to drop a M50 intake in this eventually. Still researching the matter throughly as there are conflicting info on the net.

Measure many times, cut only once.. ;)

Yesterday changed the front wheel bearings... took less time than a Jap CV join replacement with no special tools or a Hydraulic press.... They make it too easy! :) Drove to my friend's place in Seeduwa, replaced the parts and was back in Colombo in time for lunch with office mates!

Only delay was going to a tool Shop to buy a 46mm Box as the hub nut is a massive 46mm!

Total cost... Rs. 17,000 for both Hubs, Rs. 2000 for the 46mm Box and 4 beers!

Yeah changed my engine mounts last week at the agent. Brought the two genuine bmw mounts down from my friend in UK for Rs. 8.5k (with postage !!). Mind you the agents wanted 20K +++ for the parts. They charged my bloody Rs. 7k to fit it but didn't take too long on the job. 6 k for oil and 3.5k for the service which is only required once a year or once in 25000kms so not bad on the whole. The genuine filter also cost Rs 900 from UK. !! Agent charges 2.5k. My uncles Toyota Tercel mounts cost Rs 18.5k mind you from Toyota Lanka. And those were solid rubber and metal. The BM ones are oil filled !!!

Man are we Sri Lankan's getting ripped off on part prices or what. !!

Cheers,

I think for parts in SL there is a different tax bracket. Correct me if I am wrong!

Yeah I remember once I had to pay some duty for a part that came through the GPO - there were 7 different taxes including vat and something called pal and numerous other ones which also included stamp duty !!! Still I think most of the panchi.... boys are able to keep significant margins as well

Yeah changed my engine mounts last week at the agent. Brought the two genuine bmw mounts down from my friend in UK for Rs. 8.5k (with postage !!). Mind you the agents wanted 20K +++ for the parts. They charged my bloody Rs. 7k to fit it but didn't take too long on the job. 6 k for oil and 3.5k for the service which is only required once a year or once in 25000kms so not bad on the whole. The genuine filter also cost Rs 900 from UK. !! Agent charges 2.5k. My uncles Toyota Tercel mounts cost Rs 18.5k mind you from Toyota Lanka. And those were solid rubber and metal. The BM ones are oil filled !!!

and people wonder why Toyota have a high demand locally

I think for parts in SL there is a different tax bracket. Correct me if I am wrong!

both brandnew and used parts are subject to same percentiles of tax/duty. brand new cost more since CIF figure is high hence the tax/duty figure is high

and people wonder why Toyota have a high demand locally

both brandnew and used parts are subject to same percentiles of tax/duty. brand new cost more since CIF figure is high hence the tax/duty figure is high

But when you consider the service intervals, you end up being cheaper than a Toyota, isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, over ice cold beers and killer devilled pork, Buggatti and I decided last week that we need to add more oom[h to the BMW.... :)

We have 3 options...

A M50 conversion... (change the intake manifold in the M52 and drop in a M50 intake manifold and the associated plumbing, sounds simple and it si simple provided I can get teh proper kit)

A free flow exhaust and throw away the CAT. WHo would be the best person to do a pro Job... don't want an Elcardo 'phart' barrel.

and a CAI/K&N.

A K&N I am not very keen on as through personal experience I have come to know that though it adds a bit of torque and make the car 'sound' cool, the actual price to pay is more dust in the chambers.

So, what would be the best course of action?

Ok, over ice cold beers and killer devilled pork, Buggatti and I decided last week that we need to add more oom[h to the BMW.... :)

We have 3 options...

A M50 conversion... (change the intake manifold in the M52 and drop in a M50 intake manifold and the associated plumbing, sounds simple and it si simple provided I can get teh proper kit)

A free flow exhaust and throw away the CAT. WHo would be the best person to do a pro Job... don't want an Elcardo 'phart' barrel.

and a CAI/K&N.

A K&N I am not very keen on as through personal experience I have come to know that though it adds a bit of torque and make the car 'sound' cool, the actual price to pay is more dust in the chambers.

So, what would be the best course of action?

why mess with such a smooth motor :unsure:

stock rocks :)

on the exhaust though,perhaps an aftermarket BMW tuner product? http://www.ac-schnitzer.de/uploads/tx_user..._Systems_02.pdf

why mess with such a smooth motor :unsure:

stock rocks :)

on the exhaust though,perhaps an aftermarket BMW tuner product? http://www.ac-schnitzer.de/uploads/tx_user..._Systems_02.pdf

Hmmm... the cost of getting AC schnitzer stuff down would be very restrictive. Bugatti was saying that a person called Sasha in Baddegana might be able to help out.

yes the motor is smooth... but .... :)

Might wanna keep in mind that SL has emission laws now too. I'm not saying what mods you do won't pass, but check and see before you commit.

Hmmmm... didn't think that our testing is that stringent....

Yeah don't think emission will be a big issue - though be careful not to damage any lambda sensors when fiddling with the exhaust as they are pretty pricey and can mess up your tuning if they become defective. AC-S stuff is pretty expensive but believe there are cheaper pretty decent ones - there is a brand starting with a D in UK - can't remember the rest of the name though - but actually with our local buggers u need to be careful - especially when they fabricate the bends - abroad there are things called mandrel bends which you can purchase separately and weld on to your custom exhaust and ensure that the bend doesn't impede the airflow of the exhaust otherwise u may end up with less performance than the stock :)

Cheers,

Yeah don't think emission will be a big issue - though be careful not to damage any lambda sensors when fiddling with the exhaust as they are pretty pricey and can mess up your tuning if they become defective. AC-S stuff is pretty expensive but believe there are cheaper pretty decent ones - there is a brand starting with a D in UK - can't remember the rest of the name though - but actually with our local buggers u need to be careful - especially when they fabricate the bends - abroad there are things called mandrel bends which you can purchase separately and weld on to your custom exhaust and ensure that the bend doesn't impede the airflow of the exhaust otherwise u may end up with less performance than the stock :)

Cheers,

Thanks for the heads up MMX... I will be careful.. as always... :)

Thanks for the heads up MMX... I will be careful.. as always... :)

You should pay sacha a visit, by all accounts his work is pretty good... Been meaning to take my car there also to see if he can come up with something for an oldie.