• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Was Prabakaran At Bombed Location?

MADZ

Why can't we produce our own military equipment. Even LTTE produce some.

If we start doing so we can save lot of money which flows out from this country. And may be we can export them. :alc:

We have the knowledge. So why don't we do so. I don't think money to invest will be a problem.

already doing to an extent...

there's a UAV project going on and i believe a pusher type UAV is already built...

CDL is doing good with boatbuilding and hopefully shipbuilding... you must've seen the Colombo class UFAC operated by SLN with operational speeds of over 50 knots...

I think they were building APC's too but not in huge volumes... last i heard was that these are built on existing bus/lorry chassis...

If we can take a proper project on and build us some APC's that'll help to keep the casualties low and will be a huge help for the infantry...

Maybe the newly formed MID or the 59th brigade i think is there to do just that...

And i'm sure MiniAce can confirm that SLAF has being using locally "made" gravity bombs for a very long time... don't think this is the case at present though

so in short...local industry is there...in miniature form... the hitch is that a country like SL can't afford to have and maintain proper R&D to develop and test military technology that can stand up to the battlefield requirements these days... Good that we're exploring the routes we're capable of funding and developing without compromising on the end goals and ultimate results

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

already doing to an extent...

there's a UAV project going on and i believe a pusher type UAV is already built...

CDL is doing good with boatbuilding and hopefully shipbuilding... you must've seen the Colombo class UFAC operated by SLN with operational speeds of over 50 knots...

I think they were building APC's too but not in huge volumes... last i heard was that these are built on existing bus/lorry chassis...

If we can take a proper project on and build us some APC's that'll help to keep the casualties low and will be a huge help for the infantry...

Maybe the newly formed MID or the 59th brigade i think is there to do just that...

And i'm sure MiniAce can confirm that SLAF has being using locally "made" gravity bombs for a very long time... don't think this is the case at present though

so in short...local industry is there...in miniature form... the hitch is that a country like SL can't afford to have and maintain proper R&D to develop and test military technology that can stand up to the battlefield requirements these days... Good that we're exploring the routes we're capable of funding and developing without compromising on the end goals and ultimate results

Yes and we are doing it for some time now. But I'm talking things which cost more. Some small things like T-56 ammunition, etc.

By the way I heard that Buffel which came under claymore attack, the iron balls went through the armor plates. Looks like they are not that strong. :unsure:

Oh I dunno machan the americans came up with some decent fighters later in the war, which more than matched the zeros on their own terms.... The Grumman f6F hellcat, and the Vought F4U Corsair are prolly the best examples of the breed

well they took their time, and plus Pear harbor was a big wake up call. By that time the Japanese were cash strapped losing the war and didn't really have anything more to invest in developing their fleet. Their biggest mistake was the massive investments they made making massive and slow battleships which were ineffective in combat and very easy targets.

another interesting fact is that a lot of RAF pilots think the mustangs were a superior aircraft to their spitfires though the supermarine spitfire has a better reputation

well they took their time, and plus Pear harbor was a big wake up call. By that time the Japanese were cash strapped losing the war and didn't really have anything more to invest in developing their fleet. Their biggest mistake was the massive investments they made making massive and slow battleships which were ineffective in combat and very easy targets.

another interesting fact is that a lot of RAF pilots think the mustangs were a superior aircraft to their spitfires though the supermarine spitfire has a better reputation

thanushka

Buffells are made in SA i think...the local one is called Unicorn if i'm not wrong...

these are not favored by SLA themselves and don't have that much of respect... Don't think the chasis and other mechanicals can carry the extra weight of heavy armor platings... maybe we should have layered armor since that also helps to slow down speeding razor balls/bullets etc...

and the other things is that modern but very basic IED's are capable of penetrating more than 3 inches of armor... so things are never that easy...

The Don

saw you on the other thread talking about old reserves :)

On spitfires... those were bloody good machines for their eras and have served their pilots very well...can't believe why RAF pilots liked the P40's better :action-smiley-060:

On the US front...always like the P38 lightning and later 50 series models :) quite unique designs and armed to the teeth too :)

thanushka

Buffells are made in SA i think...the local one is called Unicorn if i'm not wrong...

these are not favored by SLA themselves and don't have that much of respect... Don't think the chasis and other mechanicals can carry the extra weight of heavy armor platings... maybe we should have layered armor since that also helps to slow down speeding razor balls/bullets etc...

and the other things is that modern but very basic IED's are capable of penetrating more than 3 inches of armor... so things are never that easy...

The Don

saw you on the other thread talking about old reserves :)

On spitfires... those were bloody good machines for their eras and have served their pilots very well...can't believe why RAF pilots liked the P40's better :action-smiley-060:

On the US front...always like the P38 lightning and later 50 series models :) quite unique designs and armed to the teeth too :)

I think its widely acknowledged that the RAF with its Spitfires and Hurricanes won the battle of Britain, but the American pilots with their mustangs etc played the decisive role in winning the war.

Apparently there were a lot of mutual respect amongst pilots for their enemies of the other side, there is this rumor that when the Red Baron Von Rictoven died English pilots on their way to bomb Germany splintered flowers on his grave out of respect.

As for the Old reserve :), one must understand what makes our country tick to survive in it. In the UK one can go to a business establishment request for something and more often than not be served in a satisfactory way. We all know in SL things don't quite work like that, at least not yet (the last time I went to a bank in SL, I had to wait in line for 20 minutes to withdraw some money after staying in line for 20 minutes to get a piece of paper to fill up to withdraw the money, as people kept jumping the line, while I politely waited until somebody who I know noticed me, came up to me took my slip approved it and gave me the money !!) and a little bit of good will goes a long way. I mean on the rare occasion that my father has broken down, he has always managed to convince his mechanic to come in his little motorcycle to get him sorted !! Its certainly not money that motivates him !. So my policy is treat people with some dignity and respect and more often than not they will treat you the same :)

Edited by The Don

Why can't we produce our own military equipment. Even LTTE produce some.

If we start doing so we can save lot of money which flows out from this country. And may be we can export them. :alc:

We have the knowledge. So why don't we do so. I don't think money to invest will be a problem.

Guess you were hanging around with J^P buggers, correct? :lol:

MINIACE

A'Pura runway is not long enough for fast Jets.Katunayake is too far for rapid deployments.

MINIACE

Minneriya???... thought only helos were kept there. can't be Palali cos ltte arti seems to be within range... very interesting new leaf of SLAF history being created it seems :) A new squadron with dedicated A2A?

I think its widely acknowledged that the RAF with its Spitfires and Hurricanes won the battle of Britain, but the American pilots with their mustangs etc played the decisive role in winning the war.

Apparently there were a lot of mutual respect amongst pilots for their enemies of the other side, there is this rumor that when the Red Baron Von Rictoven died English pilots on their way to bomb Germany splintered flowers on his grave out of respect.

As for the Old reserve :), one must understand what makes our country tick to survive in it. In the UK one can go to a business establishment request for something and more often than not be served in a satisfactory way. We all know in SL things don't quite work like that, at least not yet (the last time I went to a bank in SL, I had to wait in line for 20 minutes to withdraw some money after staying in line for 20 minutes to get a piece of paper to fill up to withdraw the money, as people kept jumping the line, while I politely waited until somebody who I know noticed me, came up to me took my slip approved it and gave me the money !!) and a little bit of good will goes a long way. I mean on the rare occasion that my father has broken down, he has always managed to convince his mechanic to come in his little motorcycle to get him sorted !! Its certainly not money that motivates him !. So my policy is treat people with some dignity and respect and more often than not they will treat you the same :)

watched a program on history channel about Red Baron, the brits hated the chap cos in combat he supposedly start off by going after the newbies after picking them out at distance... Undoubtedly he was one of the greatest aces ever but i suppose the man like the numbers too... experienced or not and enemy kill is an enemy kill so can't really blame the bugger :lol:

I thought red baron was shot over ally territory and the allies only gave the guy a proper military funeral... quite admirable :)

Sadly those qualities seems to have worn out nowadays... it's the price of change i suppose...

Totally agree with you on the old reserve story :) PR skills and down o earth honesty goes a long way IMHO :)

Sorry I missed this earlier,

NO...Fortunately or unfortunately SLAF not using locally made bombs.

MINIACE

Sorry I missed this earlier,

NO...Fortunately or unfortunately SLAF not using locally made bombs.

MINIACE

oops... need to sort out the bugger who told me so :)

he was going on about a crude "barrel bomb" used sometime ago sorta like a napalm...

Guess you were hanging around with J^P buggers, correct? :lol:

MINIACE

No My friend. This is just a thought. And trust me I've seen so many people with a good knowledge about these technologies. The only problem is they don't get an opportunity to show colors.

And if you are talking abt JVP above, man they are the worst set of thieves I've seen. :action-smiley-060:

So I guess you have said the biggest insult you can say to me. :angry:

No My friend. This is just a thought. And trust me I've seen so many people with a good knowledge about these technologies. The only problem is they don't get an opportunity to show colors.

And if you are talking abt JVP above, man they are the worst set of thieves I've seen. :action-smiley-060:

So I guess you have said the biggest insult you can say to me. :angry:

That is so true. there are so many people just lurking around doing something else rather than there meant to do. what a waste! and so many of ttalented leaving the country because of it. Just a handful of people are doing their job (Like Dr. Amith Munindradasa, Unfortunately hes no longer as well). Miniace, i thought SLAF making their own Dumb bombs like MK series??)

Edited by Ruslan

That is so true. there are so many people just lurking around doing something else rather than there meant to do. what a waste! and so many of ttalented leaving the country because of it. Just a handful of people are doing their job (Like Prof. Munidradasa, Unfortunately hes no longer as well). Miniace, i thought SLAF making their own Dumb bombs like MK series??)

Mk series is not made here... it's used by even USAF to this date... these can be upgraded as gps guided bombs after fixing a tail kit... even the USA is doing that if i'm not wrong

Chill out mate!! ;) I owe you a beer over the comment about J^P !!

MINIACE

Just got this from a friend. Let's do what we can...

Mods please delete if it's against AL guidelines etc

Dear all,

Our solders at Ampara are suffering without water.

The Siri Wagirachana Temple of Maharagama is collecting water bottles

of 400ml and 1L.

If you wish to contribute please call Kavidu on 0773339138 or Ven.

chandima thero on 0714161955

Thankx

Pass this on!

Just got this from a friend. Let's do what we can...

Mods please delete if it's against AL guidelines etc

Dear all,

Our solders at Ampara are suffering without water.

The Siri Wagirachana Temple of Maharagama is collecting water bottles

of 400ml and 1L.

Possibly as "Sudda's war on Vedda's budget" :lol:

MINIACE

Possibly as "Sudda's war on Vedda's budget" :lol:

MINIACE

well Mini....it turned out to be a hoax...possibly aimed at demoralizing anti-ltte lobby :lol:

anyways defencenet has just spilled the beans on the F7G's

F-7G fighters to counter tiger air threat

Ever since the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) used two of their light aircraft to bomb the country's main air base, top brass of the SLAF have been busy devising countermeasures. Although ground based anti aircraft defenses and surveillance equipment were quickly purchased, acquiring a dedicated interceptor was continuously delayed (Initially there were plans to buy MiG29 fighters from Russia. These plans however had to be scrapped off due to budget constraints). Due to this reason, LTTE aircraft managed to safely return to base after several mildly successful bombing runs over Colombo.

By now, things have changed. SLAF recently took delivery of six F-7G aircraft which will primarily be used for interceptor role. Unlike the older F-7BS and FT-7 aircraft which the SLAF has been operating for over a decade, these modernized versions feature advanced avionics, upgraded engine, improved radar (KLJ-6E), surveillance capabilities and the ability to fire a range of air to air missiles.

5th Jet Squadron has operated the following aircraft from the Chengdu J-7 family since the early 1990s:

* CF701 - FT-7 (Trainer)

* CF702 - FT-7 (Trainer)

* CF703 - FT-7 (Trainer)

* CF704 - F-7BS (Crashed while landing in 2000.)

* CF705 - F-7BS

* CF707 - F-7BS

* CF708 - F-7BS

The new F-7Gs (not included in above list) will also be operated by the 5th Jet Squadron.

Specifications (F-7G):

* Maximum Speed : 2100 km per hour

* Range : 850km

* Weight (Empty) : 5355KG

* Weight (Loaded) : 7600KG

* Radar: KLJ-6E with Helmet Mounted Sight (HMS) / Range 30KM

Weapons (F-7G):

* Cannon : One 30mm Type 30-1 cannon

* Payload limit : 2000KG (4x 50-500KG - AAM/Free Fall Bombs)

* Rocket Pods : 12x55mm, 7x90mm

* Air to Air Missiles (AAM) : PL-5, PL-7, PL-8, PL-9, AIM-9, R550 (KLJ-6E radar and HMS can be used in conjunction to control PL-8 and PL-9 missiles)

Hey MiniAce... I heard something on Shit Bombs :heat: !!!(Barrels filled with Shit & Granades of Army Camps & Dropped to Enamy targets by Helicopters) Can you tell us something about this..... :lol:

i'm sure this is just a load of CRAP :lol:

Hey MiniAce... I heard something on Shit Bombs :heat: !!!(Barrels filled with Shit & Granades of Army Camps & Dropped to Enamy targets by Helicopters) Can you tell us something about this..... :lol:

Bullshit! The shittest thing I ever heard....Who told you this???....tell that moth%&r F^C##r our armed forces are 1000 times disciplined and human than he imagined.

MINIACE