• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Any Motorcycle Fans Here?

Mani

Thanks bro for the info,yeah i know that i wont get the same out of a 4 stroke,thats what my friend who had a CRM250 also said...but the Honda trail bikes are like pit bulls..and i really like the design of the digital meter XR250...(but i have to agree with you..i don't like XR250 SM..i don't like the new rear fender...but as you've said i can expect more from the XR250..right?

(Im hoping to buy a red XR- one before the straight fender models)

I would also like know,whats the maximum speed you gone on your XR...and how is the engine doing at high revs....I've done 135Kmph on my DT200...30i7ne06354902bi3.jpg

CRM250 is a nice bike...lotsa power... i prefer the CR still though :) old technology but pure muscle... if you ever get the chance try a CR500... it will pull your arms out of their sockets :angry-smiley-048:

The red XR...if we're talking about the same one...came after the 96 models.... i believe these were the 99 models...

The factory settings have a restricted exhaust due regulations but it can be easily sorted out with an after market exhaust if need be....

My top speed so far was 156kmh on digi speedo over dematagoda fly over... But i have an after market CDI unit that revvs higher... It's not that healthy to the engine rev higher and XR's are not designed for that anyways... I once broke one of my valves by high revving and had costly repairs :(

XR's are great for extended riding... great for offroading cos it has good pulling power at low revs, great with fuel and are as reliable as you would get...

but oil changes etc should be done properly with oil filter change etc...

Was your DT a WR? I have had many encounters with this one DT200 bugger in kandy road few years ago until one day he slammed into a bus while we were racing...

good bike but i always believe that the rider makes a huge difference in these sorta things...

even my CRM friend has put on a pro circuit full silencer kit+boysen reed valves=k&n dual stage air filter...and its being tuned by chaminda at maradana(justin motors) now thats a monster..i had his bike for day...while he took mine to get some measurements...the stickers on my bike was his work....

any way,its ok to have speeds like 130-140 for few seconds right? i mean not to run long distances...yesterday one xlr250 (huge daka rally tank)bugger came to race with me in the traffic light..i thought he was gonna rip me away...but by the time i was on my 3rd gear he was way behind me... couldn't even see him

so what are the usual repairs that come on the XR...and what are the usual maintainence tips...herd that the digital meter brakes down on most bikes..whats the solution for this..i checked the e-bay as well..they have some digital after market meters..plus if i want to get an after market silencer.where would i be able to get it?

Oh by the way i have a 1989 DT200R - YPVS

then came the DT200WR

even after came the WR200R

Edited by spindoct

nope...not the hornet but have been on CBR250, Kawasaki Ninja 400, Aprillia RS500 and an old 3 pot MVX250

My XR also has only electric leg...no kicker... I'm thinking of getting a kicker mechanism and putting that in there cos and offroad bike should have a bloody kicker :)

Once my battery was messed up due to a short in the charging system and die on me on a muddy trail... Jump starting in muddy terrain is no fun... If only it had a kicker it would've saved me a lot of grief :)

last bike trip we went...rode to to kataragama and then to Yala.... all in heavy downpour... we would've ridden over 4 hours non-stop :angry-smiley-048:

Do agree with you on the smoothness of multi pot engines... for me personally i'm not that into cosmetics and how the engine sounds etc as long as it delivers :)

the single pot xr motor delivers and i'm cool with that... but that doesn't mean i don't like 4 cylinder bikes... respect for those :)

I do my repairs at home most of the time and handling a single cylinder motor when need to is much easier for me...imagine trying to balance 4 carbs properly :unsure:

with your preference i'm sure you'll love the Ducatti Monster :) Nice muscle bike :)

And wide tires are nothing but bling if you're are not cornering the bike properly :) and that takes some balls bolted on properly

anways...post some pics once you get the hornet

Sure. I'm planing to get one directly from Japan. Bcoz most of bikes in SL came as pieces and re-assembled. Importing a complete bike will costs much. But sure It will have proper fittings. Most of people who re-assembling vehicles in SL are not even using a torque wrench.

Anyway I will tell u when I get the Hornet. If you're in Colombo I can even give you a ride. :)

even my CRM friend has put on a pro circuit full silencer kit+boysen reed valves=k&n dual stage air filter...and its being tuned by chaminda at maradana(justin motors) now thats a monster..i had his bike for day...while he took mine to get some measurements...the stickers on my bike was his work....

any way,its ok to have speeds like 130-140 for few seconds right? i mean not to run long distances...yesterday one xlr250 (huge daka rally tank)bugger came to race with me in the traffic light..i thought he was gonna rip me away...but by the time i was on my 3rd gear he was way behind me... couldn't even see him

so what are the usual repairs that come on the XR...and what are the usual maintainence tips...herd that the digital meter brakes down on most bikes..whats the solution for this..i checked the e-bay as well..they have some digital after market meters..plus if i want to get an after market silencer.where would i be able to get it?

Oh by the way i have a 1989 DT200R - YPVS

then came the DT200WR

even after came the WR200R

you can hit high speeds and hold on without any problems in top gears.... my issue was since i was coming off two stroke i needed more pick up in low gears and revved the motor higher...

never rev a 4 strokes very high in low gears or when in neutral... i learned the lesson the hard way...

on our biking trips we do over hundred for quite a long time you won't even notice you're going fast until you check the meter

On the XLR...the problem with some bikers is that they modify their bikes without proper knowledge.... free flowing exhausts are only good to a point... over do it and you loose back pressure and you're screwed with power... So most of these noisy bikes are just all fart no shit sorta stuff :) Most of them are not maintained properly and don't have good compression...some of em even smoke...

There are no major or even a common repair issue with the XR... The digi speedo thing is BS i think... Of course some may break but it's not common issue... I personally prefer the old manual speedo's cos the digi one is lil tough to read in bright conditions when you're ripping away at speed

Ebay has digi speedos... can't remember the name but the ones they hook upto mountain bikes can be hooked upto the XR...

After market pipes has to be either brought down from another country or on ebay... i scoured local joints but only found bashed up ones so bought off ebay...

I got a Supertrapp on with 10 discs... There's another good brand called BigGun... another few would be FMF, WhiteBrothers, Yoshimura, ...all good pipes.... The yoshi is pretty loud and biggun has a nice thump...

And BTW....the stock pipe is pretty good to begin with... with an after market pipe you will have to rejet your carb also to make sure you don't run it too lean... usually the pipe companies reccomend a jet size depending on the altitude from sea level you're riding in...

Unless you want to harness all the power you need...stay with the stock pipe :)

For a stock XR... my best recommendation to you is to get a better headlight cos the stock one is no better than a torch strapped onto the front fender....

I bought mine from www.bajadesgns.com their lights have PIAA bulbs and the glass lens make a huge difference

I've seen the super trap on most XR's...is it better than the usual after market exhausts like big gun,pro circuit,FMF? what dose the amount of discs used in the super trap has to do with? cos the XR im hoping to buy has a super trap..I'm more comfertable with the stock one..the guy said that he will me either one of them...

and i would also like to know how much did it cost you,when you bought the XR...my budget is around 2.50 or less..and this dude told me that he's ok with it..its a red XR,oil cooled...Registration number is a "GN-XXXX"...Chasis number is 150,is it worth going for it or could there be something wrong in it for him to give it away at that price? any how I'm planing to take my garage guy there if im buying it..

all the other XR's i checked out were not fair for the price...all the red ones were above 3 and there not the straight rear fender type..one before..same as your one but red...and all the white one were around 2.50..so i thought what da hec..i could buy this red one for the same amount...

Edited by spindoct

I've seen the super trap on most XR's...is it better than the usual after market exhausts like big gun,pro circuit,FMF? what dose the amount of discs used in the super trap has to do with? cos the XR im hoping to buy has a super trap..I'm more comfertable with the stock one..the guy said that he will me either one of them...

and i would also like to know how much did it cost you,when you bought the XR...my budget is around 2.50 or less..and this dude told me that he's ok with it..its a red XR,oil cooled...Registration number is a "GN-XXXX"...Chasis number is 150,is it worth going for it or could there be something wrong in it for him to give it away at that price? any how I'm planing to take my garage guy there if im buying it..

all the other XR's i checked out were not fair for the price...all the red ones were above 3 and there not the straight rear fender type..one before..same as your one but red...and all the white one were around 2.50..so i thought what da hec..i could buy this red one for the same amount...

An XR250 is it's habitat doing it's thing :)

Now onto your post and sorry for the delay...didn't see the thread progressing

The Supertrapp is actually one of the cheaper brands :P BigGun, Yoshimura, Moriwaki and white brothers are more expensive... And some of them require that you get the complete exhaust system with the twin pipes that comes from the exhaust manifold...

I didn't wanna bust so much of cash for a little gain of power i was actually not needing that much :)

Or a better way to say is that i would rather invest that money on a new body armor kit i badly need...

The supertrapp disc type pipes gives you the option to play with your jets... very simply said... the more discs you use on the pipe...the leaner your combustion air mixture would be due to reduction of back pressure... due to this you would need a larger jet to pump more juice to chamber to not run lean... More fuel...better top end speed but less low end torque due to reduction of back pressure...

Can't remember the jet i have...bought it online sometime back so all is ok with 10 discs on the supertrapp...

Downside is that the bike is lil louder and burns lil bit more fuel... But i can reach over 140kmh with good sprocket setup

Basically your pipe choice and mods should be strictly based on your riding style and terrain...

the red XR is the 99 model i think...chassis number is 150? thought it should be MD30- or something like that

I bought mine for 200k sometime ago :lol: I was scouring town for an XR and this one sale had just got delivery of an XR and had no idea what a good bike they had with them :P kinda crazy cos they were almost insisting i go for the far better looking Suzi DR250 they had with them :P

And another shocker with my bike was when i first took it for a test ride and doing over 80 and wanted slow down and hit the brakes... both the brake lever and the pedal went all the way down... i had the owner of the sale as the pillion and we later found out they had forgot to add brake oil to the bike :lol:

BTW XR's are air cooled though the oil helps to do it... It's got a dry sump design with oil in frame...

And sometimes you do get good deals on stuff...doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with it but get it thoroughly checked by an expert...

I took my mechanic to check mine but he did a lousy job of it :) I was lucky to get a good bike but later i found out that he knew very little about the bike...:) But make sure it's and XR cos there are few folks who put body parts of XR's onto the older XLR's

I've even seen XL's with XR decals....

An XR250 is it's habitat doing it's thing :)

Now onto your post and sorry for the delay...didn't see the thread progressing

:jumping-smiley-013:

yay finally someone replied.

I am a bike fan too , and we must get more on this forum.

But unlike you guys I am an owner of a babyblade.

Love to get a dirt bike but nowadays the costs are not fun when you wanna just buy something for use once in a while.

Love to meet the bikers and ride somehwere........

:rolleyes:

When i was hunting for an XR i was caught between a CBR or and XR cos i already owned an MTX200R as trail bike...

But after thinking more on my intended use which was not blistering speeds and more on-road riding... went for the XR :)

If i could afford, would love to own a street bike like a CBR or better yet...an Aprilia :)

And on riding... i'm lucky enough to have a few friends who are into riding...or rather riding in extreme conditions but sadly all of us are into offroad/dual sport bikes... Come to think of it most of us have either XR's or XLR's :)

carry everything from tents, tools, tyre inflators etc before hitting the roads..

We're planning on a more offroad oriented ride in April...i'm busy getting my bike back to spec after almost an year of zero use :(

Maybe the roadies here can get together and plan a nice ride down a nice road with lotsa bends etc :)

Don't think my XR can keep up with your types :P unless of course the road is crap and/or it's flooded with 2-3ft of water :lol:

I'm really glad that this topic is revving up. :jumping-smiley-013: ..and thanks for the all XR tips gyus :angry-smiley-048: ...that really helped me..yesterday wen i was in the net, looking for a XR, i came by this guy who claims to do heavy mods to 250cc and above bikes..especially after market silencer making... :action-smiley-060: he said that hes making them for "performance,not for the beat" i cant post the link because its another SL site that ends with "lanka" :rolleyes:

Any how, the most recent test tail pipe I've made using S-lon :P for my DT using my friend's PRO CIRCUIT measurements has taken me to the speed limit of 140kmph,and 0-60 in just 3 gears..some times i even have second thoughts of shifting to a four stroke...i know i wont get that power hit like a 2-stroke,when you clutch it..but i guess I'd have to get satisfied with the torque and less maintainence..ha?

I've also thought about those old XLR's or BAJA's being sold as XR's,Is there any way of detecting whether if tis a TRUE XR?

i mean one can easily convert a new BAJA to a XR isnt it?

anyways there used to be a small dirt track behind the waters edge,back when they were biulding the golf ground..me and my CRM friend used to go riding there..he is the one who dose D&D graphic decals....the stickers on my bike... My DT200R

we are planning to go to pannala races..one of my female co-workers (sun fm) dad own the pannala track...lucky girl ha?

So guys keep up the posting..its really good to see this thread active and moving forward...hopefully this would proceed to a gathering one day... :jumping-smiley-013:

Edited by spindoct

few things

first of all the Baja...pronounced "baha" is a special model of the XR family... this was released after XR's complete dominance in Baja 1000 rally... Most of the rally bikes have twin HID's like the twin lights on the XR Baja...only thing is that the proper racing HID kits are light years away when compared to factory fitted baja lights...

The XR Baja to my knowledge is internally geared low for more offroading... and the stock final drive ratios also tuned for that...

I have beaten the snot out of newer XR baja's on my older XR :P

And on 2 stroke pipes... to my knowledge... silencer mods to a 2 stroke is very tricky since 2 strokes are more sensitive to back pressure than the 4 strokes. That's why most high end exhaust kits comes with a very expensive expansion chamber that's only present in 2 strokes... Expansion chamber design is quite a complicated scene...

In my humble opinion designing "proper" exhaust systems is no easy thing...especially since we don't have access to Dynos or any other sure shot way to check any performance gains... the fact is that clearing any sorta restrictions in the exhaust system to a point will get you some sorta improvement... probably at higher revvs...

and that alone doesn't make it a performance pipe...

and with any sorta performance pipe... you need to sort out the rest of the system like better flowing air filter... carburettor rejetting etc etc...

In my opinion buying an accepted performance pipe from a proper manufacturer who can give you more info in jetting and air filter etc etc is far better choice...

Don't take it wrong... i'm all for local industries but i also hate bugger who just talk rubbish without facts to back it up :)

And on judging a proper XR or an XLR... the only way is to go by frame ID and engine numbers...

these are significantly different on each of these models

• 2 weeks later...

guys i need some help,ok i found a XR a red one chassis number 150,oil cooled,in good condition, only prob is that idiot has cut the stock exhaust,only the middle insert is not there..outer chamber is ok.so i need some pictures of the end part for me to re build one...inside and out...not the chamber just the silent insert....please..can any one help me?

Edited by spindoct

guys i need some help,ok i found a XR a red one chassis number 150,oil cooled,in good condition, only prob is that idiot has cut the stock exhaust,only the middle insert is not there..outer chamber is ok.so i need some pictures of the end part for me to re build one...inside and out...not the chamber just the silent insert....please..can any one help me?

dude...all XR's except for the XR 650R's are oil/air cooled... the difference is between wet sump models and dry sump models where the latter carries it's oil on the frame and not in the crank case...

Chassis/frame number usually starts with MD22, MD30 etc depending on model year... i've never heard of one with 150 but of course i can be terribly wrong

On the pipe... my stock pipe is sealed so no go on inside pics but can give you exterior pics if you want... i doubt that will help you though

http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mufflerls2.gif

pic is from a manual and it's for bikes with a removable exhaust tip...

go to www.bikebandit.com and search for your model under oem parts... you can get these diagrams there

hope this helps in some form or the other

Edited by Ripper

When i was hunting for an XR i was caught between a CBR or and XR cos i already owned an MTX200R as trail bike...

But after thinking more on my intended use which was not blistering speeds and more on-road riding... went for the XR :)

If i could afford, would love to own a street bike like a CBR or better yet...an Aprilia :)

And on riding... i'm lucky enough to have a few friends who are into riding...or rather riding in extreme conditions but sadly all of us are into offroad/dual sport bikes... Come to think of it most of us have either XR's or XLR's :)

carry everything from tents, tools, tyre inflators etc before hitting the roads..

We're planning on a more offroad oriented ride in April...i'm busy getting my bike back to spec after almost an year of zero use :(

Maybe the roadies here can get together and plan a nice ride down a nice road with lotsa bends etc :)

Don't think my XR can keep up with your types :P unless of course the road is crap and/or it's flooded with 2-3ft of water :lol:

Hey,

A road trip sounds good.

Since I am a road bike owner would love a road trip - how about the Avisawella road ? upto Hatton?

Also I tried looking for a large capacity dirt bike ( old models ok too) but none to be found. :unsure:

Anyone out there who has an old dirt bike I can get and join you all off road? :rolleyes:

Hey,

A road trip sounds good.

Since I am a road bike owner would love a road trip - how about the Avisawella road ? upto Hatton?

Also I tried looking for a large capacity dirt bike ( old models ok too) but none to be found. :unsure:

Anyone out there who has an old dirt bike I can get and join you all off road? :rolleyes:

sadly there aren't that many bikers in AL.

Thanks to an act of god i hooked up with a few bikers for my annual road/offroad trip :)

Group riding's only hitch is that the skill levels and the bikes ridden by the group should be similar...especially if they ride hard.

The first time i went with my guys i was shocked with their riding style... I really had to push it to keep up with them...

We had 2 crashes...one was in heavy rains the lead rider took a turn...skidded off and hit a bus...

I followed 10-20ft behind him and had to cut into a roadside drain to avoid hitting my buddy...luckily the drain thingy was not cemented and was quite soft after the rains :lol:

My friend's bike tail end was bent so that the pipe was stopping the rear wheel from spinning... Good thing XR's have sub frames so the main frame was not damaged... we managed to kick it in and ride on like nothing happened... :lol:

we would've been riding for over 3 hours non-stop in heavy rains before getting to buttala...2nd pitstop :)

second crash was myself loosing balance in deep sand and knocking my fractured hand under the bike :lol:

quite exciting stuff imho :)

Now onto your bike... what's the bike you own?

If you're looking for trail bikes i saw quite a few available on papers and on another biker oriented local website going by another "lanka" name :P

but the prices seems to have shot up...

And imo you don't necessarily need a large capacity offroad bike. 250cc is good enough to give you a few whoopies in SL style riding unless you're a heavy fella. the 400cc' might be a good compromise but 650cc are not very good at trail riding...they are better for straight line speed.

I prefer trail riding and the 250cc for me has more agility...

we can setup a road trip if there are enough members to take part...sorta fun ride and not to really hammer down and thrash...

I'm heading out on my ride on the 11th and returning on the 15th... this time it's the hill country and hopefully lotsa offroad in soggy conditions.

Investing on new tyres so it better be worth it :)

will post some pics once i get back.

Now onto your bike... what's the bike you own?

If you're looking for trail bikes i saw quite a few available on papers and on another biker oriented local website going by another "lanka" name :P

but the prices seems to have shot up...

And imo you don't necessarily need a large capacity offroad bike. 250cc is good enough to give you a few whoopies in SL style riding unless you're a heavy fella. the 400cc' might be a good compromise but 650cc are not very good at trail riding...they are better for straight line speed.

I prefer trail riding and the 250cc for me has more agility...

we can setup a road trip if there are enough members to take part...sorta fun ride and not to really hammer down and thrash...

I'm heading out on my ride on the 11th and returning on the 15th... this time it's the hill country and hopefully lotsa offroad in soggy conditions.

Investing on new tyres so it better be worth it :)

will post some pics once i get back.

Hiya,

The bike I own is a CBR 250 Gullarm. Very nice, and more than enough for Sri Lanka. hand carried two Metzeler tyres from dubai, so now she's fine.

I have had large bikes abroad.

Looking to buy a dirt bike - cheap - not 100 K plus as thats crazy :action-smiley-060: as I hardly use my bike now and the mechanic tells me he rides it more than me , he charges the battery, changes the oil, oil filter, etc and brings it back home.

I park it for a few months - try to start does not start - call mechanic - he picks it up, changes oil, oil filter etc etc you get the idea? :action-smiley-060:

Rode a Honda 600 "thumper" once - a dirt bike can't remember the model. CR 600? not sure. saw an old 200 cc Honda trail, in K'nagala in bits and he wanted 20 K only but could not find the original RC book, so I walked away. but that was a really old one, not even mono shock. Oldie but goodie. :rolleyes:

the road trip I am sure we can get at least 5 bikers together. I totally agree about the type of riding partners, as I have had enough trouble with guys on 100cc Indian 4 strokes , who stop next to you at the traffic lights and rev the thing as if its a 1000cc R1 !!! :violent-smiley-030:

A nice ride on a nice winding road, with responsible mates who take pleasure in the thrill of riding and not morons who think riding = being the first in the line- never mind if we are doing only 40 KMPH ! :angry-smiley-024:

if you are around at the AL G2G lets chat ?

cheers

Pradfred

Don't mind being your mechanic mate...seems like a good deal :lol:

I almost bought a CBR myself before the XR... If i had the bucks i'll still go for one :P

lovely machines and are great for corners but me being and offroader needs a bit more training to go down all the way.

Don't think i can keep up with a CBR on my XR though...especially on nice windy roads you guys will just blow me away...

let's see if we can get a few guys to join us for a daytrip :) would be good fun :)

And for your battery...try getting a trickle charger and hooking it up. These are not too pricey but don't think it's available in SL though.

Metzeler was such a great tire sometime ago even for offroaders... remember seeing so many reviews on bike magazines i used to love reading.

sadly tyre prices are also quite high these days and with the way we push our bikes the tire wear is quite high. I also need new tires for my upcoming trip but Jap tyres are very expensive. last time i checked the bridgestone 460x18 was 12,500... now i'm on some cheapo 510x18 and going to try the DSI 510x18 which is only about 4k...

Thumpers are supposed to be 4 strokes and CR's are 2-strokes... Don't think they built anything better than the legendary CR500. Probably you would've ridden a XL600, XLR600 or XR600L

The torque on these machine are unbelievable...and they will out climb a mountain goat anyday :lol:

On fast riding... to be honest i was a very very fast rider. Never did too many stupid stuff..the reason why i'm still alive but i've gone as fast as the bikes i've ridden can take me.

But now don't ride so fast cos at 30 the falls tend to hurt a lot more than it used to :lol:

Sadly our bike outings are planned to cover a lot of terrain and certain stoppages are un-avoidable, getting lost and having back track etc we do end up having to speed a lot. Last time around we were hammering somewhere in yala over 120 or so in heavy rains... one little rock on the road would've ended the day. But i suppose biking will always have that element of risk... especially when people decide to take the chances...

I'm all for a trip of chill ride :)

I'll be at the G2G but coming early and going off early too. Hopefully we can meet up :)

check my profile pic so you can recognize me :)

cheers

Ripper

Hey ripper,

Missed the AL G2G mate.

Office. Need the moolah to feed the passion so had to take a rain check.

On the road trip - great to do a day one let's try and geta few bikers together and take a chillum ride somewhere - how about to a beachside? Park and swim and get back?

I saw a place selling bike engines in Malabe must go check it out . . . And also try for a dirt bike. Wife is in a good mood these days as I sold one car so she thinks the garden parking will stop and the turf will grow (yeah right). Must strike when ze iron is hot eh? :)

Cheers

Prad

Ripper,

Is there a place that I can rent a decent bike there? Love to meet up with some of you riders for a nice ride around when I come down.

think theres one in kalubowila which rents

Ripper,

Is there a place that I can rent a decent bike there? Love to meet up with some of you riders for a nice ride around when I come down.

He Mani

Give us a holler in advance...i'm sure we can sort something out quite easily :)

Made some biker friends in another local web forum and i'm sure they will help us out :)

pradfred

you don't own a silver P11 by any chance do you? I've met another friend online who uses the german spello thing quite well :lol:

on the chillium ride...i'm game bro... only hitch is that swimming is a no go...at least not beyond 6ft depths :lol:

we can ride somewhere to like hikka on unawatuna if we want to keep the distance short...park and have a few beers... chill in the water to get the booze out of the system and ride back :) what more can a man ask for eh :lol: