• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Any Motorcycle Fans Here?

Mani

Another quick question to all you riders. How long will a spark plug last on a 200cc 4 stroke engine?

IMO...a very very long time provided your engine and air filter is in good shape. I dont bother to replace it unless i'm doing one of those long trips or the bike starts showing signs of the sparky going bad.

• Like 1

IMO...a very very long time provided your engine and air filter is in good shape. I dont bother to replace it unless i'm doing one of those long trips or the bike starts showing signs of the sparky going bad.

I've d'one about 4000km so far... its a NGK plug; and in the last 200km or so I felt a sudden loss of power for a mere split second. This happened maybe 3-4 times maybe.. My guess was that it was either a petrol block or a failure to spark/ignite. Some people replace the plug every 2000km here but it seemed like they were overdoing it.. so I was thinking of a more modest 5000km...

this is the rarest bike ever. i have been searching for one for ages. wanna sell?

No chance mate, took me ages to find one as well. This one is not a resto or a rebud, is in pretty much original condition with matching chassis and engine numbers and all.

Thanks for the appreciation. I take this for a spin every Sunday and it draws a lot of attention everytime.

Edited by HardHat

Hi Watchman,

The cable should be available at Nikko Motors- Rajagiriya. It will cost you Rs 1350/=. contact them on 0112-876273 :)

Thanks a lot dude!!

I've been a bit busy the last few days after work so i havent been able to take a look at how bad the cable's become... I should do that over the weekend...

• Like 1

I've d'one about 4000km so far... its a NGK plug; and in the last 200km or so I felt a sudden loss of power for a mere split second. This happened maybe 3-4 times maybe.. My guess was that it was either a petrol block or a failure to spark/ignite. Some people replace the plug every 2000km here but it seemed like they were overdoing it.. so I was thinking of a more modest 5000km...

Guys, I never thought of the plugs. i am using NGK on my VTR and i have done more than 10,000km with the plugs. Should i change it? i do the service every 3000Km's..

• 3 months later...

I'm here for a failed-DIY-recovery tip..

The last few days I felt a slight metallic rubbing sound from the front wheel which was related to the brake. I suspected worn out pads so thought i'll make sure the pad hadnt worn down to the metal plate and cutting into the disk. unscrewed the calliper but couldn't pry it off the disk due to a few uneven areas on it. instead of wiggling it left and right and soft-hammering it off I decided to let out a bit of oil from the oil line. BAD decision. I think I let some air into the lines and the brakes have zero pressure. I was reading that some repeated squeezes of the lever would pull up the air bubble, but i squeezed it like a 15 year old who just discovered jerking off, but no result.

When I take off the cap i see bubbles coming up into the b/oil tank though no improvement on the pressure. And the brakes just dont work.. tips anyone?

• 6 years later...

Dear all,

How you all doing? :)

I bought a 2015 XR 230 (9000km  done) (CRF230L in USA) and would like to know how you all maintain your XRs. Please accept my apologies for my lack of knowledge on this. 

It would be great if you could kindly reply to my following queries. 

1. Is it best to change oil every 2000km or 5000km (I only use it to commute and never do hard off road but light trails)? Which oil is best and the viscosity? I can find Mobil and Caltex in our country.

2. Does this bike have an oil filter that you should change when you change engine oil? If so the model and the brand of the filter? 

Or do you have to clean the oil screen? 

3. How to lubricate the chain? I heard that you have a spray oil, what is the brand and how often you should do it, or what is the best way?

4. Best tension of the chain?

5. 92 octane gas or 95 octane gas?

6. Recommended break oil? 

7. Recommended tire pressure for front and rear - it still has original factory fitted tires (Bridgestone)

8. What are the other maintenance items I have missed?

9. Best place to buy parts/oil in Sri Lanka?

Thank you so very much

Live to ride, ride to live !

4 hours ago, dushanf said:

Dear all,

How you all doing? :)

I bought a 2015 XR 230 (9000km  done) (CRF230L in USA) and would like to know how you all maintain your XRs. Please accept my apologies for my lack of knowledge on this. 

It would be great if you could kindly reply to my following queries. 

1. Is it best to change oil every 2000km or 5000km (I only use it to commute and never do hard off road but light trails)? Which oil is best and the viscosity? I can find Mobil and Caltex in our country.

2. Does this bike have an oil filter that you should change when you change engine oil? If so the model and the brand of the filter? 

Or do you have to clean the oil screen? 

3. How to lubricate the chain? I heard that you have a spray oil, what is the brand and how often you should do it, or what is the best way?

4. Best tension of the chain?

5. 92 octane gas or 95 octane gas?

6. Recommended break oil? 

7. Recommended tire pressure for front and rear - it still has original factory fitted tires (Bridgestone)

8. What are the other maintenance items I have missed?

9. Best place to buy parts/oil in Sri Lanka?

Thank you so very much

Live to ride, ride to live !

Hey! I have a Honda CB400 Spec 3, I can answer some of your questions.

1. The XR is air cooled so since you'll be mostly in traffic I would change the oil every 2500km - 3000km or 6 months. Stay away from caltex. Mobil is much better. I use Motul however it can be expensive.

2. There should be an oil filter however I do not know so best to google your bike model and find out.

3. What I do for my chain is, Clean the chain and sprockets well with kerosene, dry it off, Then lubricate with chain lubricant or used engine oil then wipe off the excess.

4. Again you better google that information.

5. The stock compression ratio is 9.0:1 so 92 octane is fine.

6. DOT 4 but check with google again.

7. There should be a sticker on the swing arm with the tire pressure and chain slack.

8. Make sure your brake pads are good. Check your throttle play and cable lubrication. I usually ride my CB every 6 months or so if you're going to store it for a while make sure to keep the battery charged and spray some fogging oil into the engine cylinders to make sure no rust comes about.

9. I use Motul engine oil for the CB however your XR's requirements may be different. I buy most parts from either dilan motors or ebay. Hornet house also has some parts but mostly for hornets.

On 5/14/2019 at 1:28 PM, kadsa98 said:

Hey! I have a Honda CB400 Spec 3, I can answer some of your questions.

1. The XR is air cooled so since you'll be mostly in traffic I would change the oil every 2500km - 3000km or 6 months. Stay away from caltex. Mobil is much better. I use Motul however it can be expensive.

2. There should be an oil filter however I do not know so best to google your bike model and find out.

3. What I do for my chain is, Clean the chain and sprockets well with kerosene, dry it off, Then lubricate with chain lubricant or used engine oil then wipe off the excess.

4. Again you better google that information.

5. The stock compression ratio is 9.0:1 so 92 octane is fine.

6. DOT 4 but check with google again.

7. There should be a sticker on the swing arm with the tire pressure and chain slack.

8. Make sure your brake pads are good. Check your throttle play and cable lubrication. I usually ride my CB every 6 months or so if you're going to store it for a while make sure to keep the battery charged and spray some fogging oil into the engine cylinders to make sure no rust comes about.

9. I use Motul engine oil for the CB however your XR's requirements may be different. I buy most parts from either dilan motors or ebay. Hornet house also has some parts but mostly for hornets.

Thank you so very much bro! This is excellent! I checked with a shop and they have Mobil Super Moto 20w 50.