• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Any Motorcycle Fans Here?

Mani

Machan the Italians have a lot of style and character about them no doubt.but if we consider only the performance bits(engine,handling,and the electronic bits...),the Japs are are very hard to beat in my opinion.Admittedly I have had only a couple of limited runs on some friends' Ducati,Aprilia,but they seem a but outdated(performance wise) when compared to their Japanese competition.was really dissapointed with the power delivery on the ones I've ridden.It was like too much power sometimes,and othertimes none at all.If you know what I mean.

I gotta agree with you on this :) I've ridden a couple of Ducatis .. they're good bikes by their own standards, but no way can they beat Jap bikes on performance. ...

Even at the top of the game .. Just look at how Rossi is struggling. He has openly said that the Ducati is very hard to turn into corners. We all know he is comparing to his previous rides with Yamaha & Honda.

Machan the Italians have a lot of style and character about them no doubt.but if we consider only the performance bits(engine,handling,and the electronic bits...),the Japs are are very hard to beat in my opinion.Admittedly I have had only a couple of limited runs on some friends' Ducati,Aprilia,but they seem a but outdated(performance wise) when compared to their Japanese competition.was really dissapointed with the power delivery on the ones I've ridden.It was like too much power sometimes,and othertimes none at all.If you know what I mean.

agree....i meant the design aspects hence the reference to them being works of art and not merely engineering bits...

last time i was at katu...09 it was i think...one dude rode a brand spanking new ducatti...

it didn't look quick even on the straights let alone on the corners...

a yammy won that race very comfortably....

but the ducatti won the beauty pageant imho :P

I've seen this bike in the flesh ... Someone I know brokered the deal.

I've even seen the bike while it was stripped down & being put together.

What impressed me the most was the Termignoni Exhaust system. Very expensive & quite a performance enhancement for that bike :)

Having said that, the whole bike was pretty impressive :) although I'm not much of a Ducati fan

Bike was purchased in UK & sent to one of r friends here in Dehiwala. it was assembled at his place. afterward the owner came down on holidays & was riding around.

Bike was purchased in UK & sent to one of r friends here in Dehiwala. it was assembled at his place. afterward the owner came down on holidays & was riding around.

ok cool :) I stand corrected ;)

Yes I saw it in Dehiwala. I know him.

That big bore tracker on the yoshi pipe must be sounding super!

a mate had an XR SM with a yoshi pipe and man...that pipe was awesome.

lttle to no thump at lowr rev bands but when you open the throttle up..it's like a thunderstorm passing you by :)

How was the ducatti monster?

wish there were more ducattis...such beautiful machines...

well to tell you at first the Bike came stripped down and the engine was in customs for over 2 months . Once we assembled the bike and powered the engine it sounded like a subaru wrx with no exhaust , there were few matters with the plugs and the carb. The next time we tried it was just amazing at 1/4 throttle it was really silent rev a little higher and thats when you hear the thunderstorm striking just like you said.The bike revs really fast because it had high lift cams and the air cleaner snorkel was taken off .

The ducati well its with my buddy now and he wants to sell it off ,but it was a good bike ,the cruise speed of that ducati was just 100km/h lol you dont feel it and it doesnt rev much as a cbr 600rr .It took us 2 days to notice that it was a ducati 750 monster we thought of it as a 620 DARK .

Edited by Shehan_WCC

As for me, I always liked riding but never owned one though. Rode my father`s Bajaj scooter for a good few years in and around Colombo (ok, you guys can stop laughing now.!! ). But it was good fun trying to keep that thing on the road at 80+kmph. Still got bruises from occasions where I failed :lol: (didn’t fail doing 80 though, probably won’t be typing this if I did). Once it landed on the headlight (don’t know how, but I swear the headlight hit the ground first) and the handle bar bracket broke. Good old Indian build quality. :D

Other than that it`s just the occasional mates` CBR250, Spada, Hornet, Baja, DT, NSR250 etc.. NSR250 was the scariest though. :D. probably the quickest accelerating bike i`ve ridden.

By the way, slightly off topic, but does anyone know the current import restrictions on motor bikes? 250cc limit is still there right? Other than that is there a restriction on manufacturing year? What about taxes?

Cheers..

As for me, I always liked riding but never owned one though. Rode my father`s Bajaj scooter for a good few years in and around Colombo (ok, you guys can stop laughing now.!! ). But it was good fun trying to keep that thing on the road at 80+kmph. Still got bruises from occasions where I failed :lol: (didn’t fail doing 80 though, probably won’t be typing this if I did). Once it landed on the headlight (don’t know how, but I swear the headlight hit the ground first) and the handle bar bracket broke. Good old Indian build quality. :D

Other than that it`s just the occasional mates` CBR250, Spada, Hornet, Baja, DT, NSR250 etc.. NSR250 was the scariest though. :D. probably the quickest accelerating bike i`ve ridden.

By the way, slightly off topic, but does anyone know the current import restrictions on motor bikes? 250cc limit is still there right? Other than that is there a restriction on manufacturing year? What about taxes?

Cheers..

I guess its upto 350CC .But lets keep it safe at 250 ,and the MFD should be less than 5-8 years but im not so sure about that because you still can bring honda C50s and MD90s which are over 10-15 years old ,so it want be much of an issue

I guess its upto 350CC .But lets keep it safe at 250 ,and the MFD should be less than 5-8 years but im not so sure about that because you still can bring honda C50s and MD90s which are over 10-15 years old ,so it want be much of an issue

Ok, cool. So it might be the fact that one can bring down older bikes if they are lesser in engine capacity? But it doesn't make much sense to have a regulation like that though. You sure that up to 10-15 year old bikes are up for sale? I mean legitimate ones?

Anybody know about the tax structure for motor bikes? I mean just to get a general idea about the taxes involved?

Cheers..

Edited by MrCat

It's around 60% total tax of CIF for all motorbikes AFAIK

Ok. Thanks.

Just to figure this out, a brand new Bajaj Pulsar 180 is around 68k Indian Rs in India which translates to around 168k SL Rs. With around 60% tax i guess this must be retailing for around 300K (including freight + dealer chargers) in SL?

Cheers..

:violent-smiley-099:

well i guess there is no big isssue with The manufactured year of the bikes you can probably clear the bike if it had all necessary paper work .

Tax it varies A hornet usually used to have a tax structure of a Honda CB125 which switched to CB250 it was around 120,000 or some what those days .

Ok. Thanks.

Just to figure this out, a brand new Bajaj Pulsar 180 is around 68k Indian Rs in India which translates to around 168k SL Rs. With around 60% tax i guess this must be retailing for around 300K (including freight + dealer chargers) in SL?

Cheers..

As concerns regarding the quality of the thread being ruined were brought up, you can find the reply here http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?/topic/3353-post-whoring-part-2/page__view__findpost__p__152929

Edited by BLu3HaZe

huh.gif Well the dude asked about tax for a bike, so just gave him that

Anyway, as I asked on the parallel thread, any more info on the CBR250? Think you know about them Honda bikes a lot right?

yes he did ask,and ofcourse you felt obliged to google it for him.

I was hoping atleast the bikers would have a genuine enthusiast thread without tax and fuel posts or some noob trying show off his internet skills.too much to ask I guess.

and no.I don't know a lot.I am no motorcycle expert.I do have two very big sport bikes and a small 50cc cub.Thats it.

Didn't google it, that's why I didn't give it the other day, just found the tax docs which had been downloaded earlier as I was organizing some files, so just posted it for his use and accurately, not just off my head which was off by 6.5%...

Ok :)

You never get over it man tongue.gif I thought we were through

Edited by BLu3HaZe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I will someday in the next few months need to replace the clutch cable on my XR200. The adjuster of the outer cable has been stretched to its maximum possible length. The reason I think The cable might need replacing is cos the clutch doesnt feel like it completely disengages when i pull in the clutch. Especially when I stop at a trafficlight I need to play around (pull/release a few times) a with the clutch to go all the way down to the first gear. Is my diagnosis correct?

The XR200 is a bit of an uncommon bike in SL, but i've noticed that a bunch of Honda bike parts are interchangeable between models so I was wondering if anyone would know the general price range of a clutch cable (the inner AND outer) for the XR200 (even a XR250 might work I guess)...

PS: Its a YOM 2001 bike

Edited by Watchman

Hi,

I will someday in the next few months need to replace the clutch cable on my XR200. The adjuster of the outer cable has been stretched to its maximum possible length. The reason I think The cable might need replacing is cos the clutch doesnt feel like it completely disengages when i pull in the clutch. Especially when I stop at a trafficlight I need to play around (pull/release a few times) a with the clutch to go all the way down to the first gear. Is my diagnosis correct?

The XR200 is a bit of an uncommon bike in SL, but i've noticed that a bunch of Honda bike parts are interchangeable between models so I was wondering if anyone would know the general price range of a clutch cable (the inner AND outer) for the XR200 (even a XR250 might work I guess)...

PS: Its a YOM 2001 bike

machang check the two tag ends of the cable and see if it's flaring off. Usually the clutch wont be fully engaged once the cables are stripped.

If the two ends are fine, chances are that your clutch might be worn out!

As for replacement cable, one from a 250 should cut it. It's just the length that really matters and i doubt there's a big difference between the two models. Chances are, it's the same cable.

Last time i bought a clutch cable it was around 2000 bucks. This was a thick cable and one of good quality.

This was about a good 3 years ago though.

Edited by Ripper

machang check the two tag ends of the cable and see if it's flaring off. Usually the clutch wont be fully engaged once the cables are stripped.

If the two ends are fine, chances are that your clutch might be worn out!

As for replacement cable, one from a 250 should cut it. It's just the length that really matters and i doubt there's a big difference between the two models. Chances are, it's the same cable.

Last time i bought a clutch cable it was around 2000 bucks. This was a thick cable and one of good quality.

This was about a good 3 years ago though.

At the risk of sounding stupid, i have to ask.. what's the tag end? I presume that's the ends of the outer cable?

When I felt this issue I didnt see a significant flaring of the outer cable... but I didnt exactly 'check' for it..

Shall get back to you on that :)

At the risk of sounding stupid, i have to ask.. what's the tag end? I presume that's the ends of the outer cable?

When I felt this issue I didnt see a significant flaring of the outer cable... but I didnt exactly 'check' for it..

Shall get back to you on that :)

the two ends that have those metal balls sorta things attached to the cable :)

Overtime as the cable is used, the two ends will get damaged. The cable will start to unwind and the individual strands tend to break off.

Once this happens, your clutch adjustment gets buggered up and wont engage properly.