• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Changing Timing Belt

neasmh

Question

Guyz, can anyone recommend me a place for change the timing belt.

car has just passed the 100k limit on the clock and its a petrol one..

Dear all

I need asked something. Sorry about my mechanic knowladge

1. When we need to change the timing belt.

2.How can we know it is time to tchange T.belt

3. How much will it cost

4.Should it need to change regulary

5.if it is broken on running what will happen to vehical?? :unsure:

Thanks

Change Timing belt between 80k to 100k- don't wait any longer, or there goes your valvetrain!

Most user manuals say to change at 100k, but given our road conditions, driving style, would recommend earlier.

Timing belts, by very basic definition, make sure that your valves/cams etc are working with correct timing with the lower assembly of your engine (Pistons, crank, etc).

When this snaps, the engine will stop...-but not before the piston heads (because of lost timing) collide with the valve train, both of which will get damaged. Expensive repair.

Those engines with Narrow angle valves (such as the 20v 4AGE) escape this fate as there actual angle of the valves to the pistons is acute enough that there is no contact.

Forum Experts; please add/correct where necessary...

As for WHERE to go- any qualified/reputed mechanic can change the Timing belt. For more expensive cars, go to the agents.

Edited by gunat

Dear all

I need asked something. Sorry about my mechanic knowladge

1. When we need to change the timing belt.

2.How can we know it is time to tchange T.belt

3. How much will it cost

4.Should it need to change regulary

5.if it is broken on running what will happen to vehical?? :unsure:

Thanks

Well i also replaced my timig belt last week. I think cost will depend on the vehicle brand and model. My toyota wagons one cost around 3k. But this is only for belt you normally have to replace adjuster racers as well. Which cost me another 3-4k. Regarding time to change timing belt according to my mechanic you have to replace either in 100k(depend on vehicle brand, i think koren vehicles timing bet have to be replace in 35k) or in 5 years. If you milegae is less than 100k and more than 5 yrs it's recommended to replace, else if your vehicle is less than 5yrs old and mileage is 100K you have to replace also. Hope this give you an idea. Experts if i'm wrong in above pls correct me.

Edited by lasa

its a simple job for any decent mechanic. Better state the location and vehicle when asking a question like this.

If your asking this question in relation to the Nissan you own- dont bother- it aint got a timing belt. Just need to adjust the timing chain during oil changes

its a simple job for any decent mechanic. Better state the location and vehicle when asking a question like this.

If your asking this question in relation to the Nissan you own- dont bother- it aint got a timing belt. Just need to adjust the timing chain during oil changes

wow till today i thought even nissan has a timing belt. Thx pilawoos for enlighting me. :rolleyes:

Edited by lasa

How about suzuki swift 1.3 japan . Has it got aT.belt or should I need only to ajust like Nissan

I do hope ur not getting too carried away about the SRs. Unless you though the dude has a certain car in particular. My Diesel Cali had a belt.

WRONG mate!!

Nissan engines are mostly timing belt type.

Nissan timing belts do need to change every 60000 Miles except few 1.6 SOHC ,1.7 Diesel (YOM 1997 above) and few 2.0 SOHC and 3.0 SOHC (YOM 1997 above),engines.They need changed every 100000 Miles.

MINIACE

Guys,

One of my friends Noah broken down middle of the night,there were no blinking T belt bulb so he has start the vehicle which lead him to cost 70K engine repair :violent-smiley-030: .It's a Diesel Noah.It was his bloody T belt. later he has fund that T Belt indicator is not working.

I know if start the vehicle when T belt broken it lead you to a major engine repair.

But one of my friend once says This engine repair come only to Diesel vehicle if start during the T belt Broken, there's no effect to the petrol vehicles but it wont start?? :unsure:

Is this True?

And Guys my previous car was a March K11 & it's chain. I don't know about other Nissan models :)

DCL

GUYS,

It,s simple, if your car has a Timing belt change it at the correct interval, this varies from car to car and from one model to another even when the same code engine is fitted sometimes-there is no rule as to who fits timing belts and who dosent, petrol or diesel! On most modern engines if the belt brakes the valves will collide with the pistons and cause expensive damage regardless of any attempt to start the car-a whole lot cheaper and simpler to change it when due and sleep in peace. I have to price many jobs with broken belts and the cost almost always exceeds 1000 pounds sterling whilst the average cost of replacing the belt tensioner and the idlers as a kit is around £250. No contest!

Imagine a Volvo S80 with all 20 valves damaged estimated at £2300 for repairs!

If in doubt change it. That is the policy of a wise man/woman!

Maithri.

Guys,

It's a Diesel Noah.It was his bloody T belt. later he has fund that T Belt indicator is not working.

Like most members have said - wiser to change the belt rather than depending on some light. Cause it says 100,000lm or what ever the amount it does not count the time we spend in traffic - the engine is still running in traffic although we don't move. I changed mine at 90K - besides if it's a recon and U ar the 2nd owner with no records - can u be sure of the mileage ? in my case the car was looked after by my previous mechanic... with all records - hence I was sure.

Just think about it - would a Jap put out a car after running just 20,000l=km to come down to SL recon ? maybe I'm wrong here but it just sounds crazy.

When replacing the belts do the whole blooming thing- not just the belt but the razors and adjuster - try to get the original not the cheap stuff...... after all like mithri said the costs are not worth it.

Mine cost about 15K with 2 adjuster, belt and 3 rubber washers/rings....all original

Guys, any idea what the 1998 Nissan Wingroad Y10 with GA15DE engine uses, chain or belt?

i am not familiar with this particular engine but there are 2 things you can try

1. Usually if the engine has a timing belt the belt is outside and you would see a plastic cover covering the timing belt. Cars with timing chains do not usually have this sort of a cover on the side of the engine

2. You can take the oil cap off and try to peep in to the engine and you might be able to see the timing chain, it helps if the oil cap is on the same side as the above.

the above 2 suggestions may not work in your occasion but its worth a look I think ....

The Don

Please be vary about the quality of the belt. Try to get it from a reputed dealer if such an entity exists. I recently had a belt on our company Mazda 323 snap after around 30k kms. Lucky for me the engine was not damaged at all. It seems it was a fake and so I don't go to that vendor anymore.

Btw the Alfa Twin spark engines had notorious belt snapping problems. The factory initially recomended belt changes at 72k miles. But new buyers found out the hard way that the Italians actually meant Kms and not miles :lol: . There were massive wwarrenty claims that some Alfa Dealers did not honor.

In SL we change our belts every 36,000km to be on the safe side. Expensive but worth the trouble.

Guys

My Car is Mazda BJ5P and according to the service manual,it recommends an inspection of the timing belt at 96,000km and replacement only at 168,000km.

Since this is given in Manual can I follow this or do I still have to change the timing belt at 100K?

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=graphic1se4.jpg

I think what the manual mentions is the recommended change interval and if you brought your car brand new this would apply 100%

If your car was bought recon, then there is no way to be certain of of the mileage, and if your belt has been replaced before there is no way to be certain of the quality of the replacement.

I think when balancing the cost of replacement vs cost of a repair if the belt breaks, changing the belt at 100K makes a lot of sense.

as GTAM said its preventative maintenance not always necessary maintenance.

Good news for you....its timing chain!!

my Laser also has a timig chain.. So I was just wondering guys, this chain is supposed to be for a lifetime isnt it..? Or should it be changed as well after a few hundred thousands of km`s..?? :unsure:

Has any one of you heard of broken timing chains..?? :unsure:

my Laser also has a timig chain.. So I was just wondering guys, this chain is supposed to be for a lifetime isnt it..? Or should it be changed as well after a few hundred thousands of km`s..?? :unsure:

Has any one of you heard of broken timing chains..?? :unsure:

Well the chain lasts much longer than the belt I believe, you would have to replace the adjuster bearings from time to time and when you do that you can check the chain as well.

I wonder why manufacturers use belts at all when they can use the more dependable chains though they tend to be a bit more noisy.