• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is This A Normal Behaviour

sbr

Guys I have a question about a automatic car behavior, The thing is I have a automatic FB15, Before i took it for a tuning, when i put the gear to the D (drive position) the car didn't move forward until i press the accelerator, But after the tuning was done, the car tries to move forward when i put the gear to D ( and not giving any gas) . I really have to press the brake peddle very hard to stop it moving forward. And i have notices that when i put the geat to P or N now the engine rev very much than earlier.

My question is is this a normal scenario after a tune, or has something gone wrong at the tuning process ? . Expect your valuable comments please.

well.. when you put to D the vehicle should move! without the help of a accelerator..

but then i am not sure in your case, as your saying you have to break hard to stop??? thats something i am not known..

Guys I have a question about a automatic car behavior, The thing is I have a automatic FB15, Before i took it for a tuning, when i put the gear to the D (drive position) the car didn't move forward until i press the accelerator, But after the tuning was done, the car tries to move forward when i put the gear to D ( and not giving any gas) . I really have to press the brake peddle very hard to stop it moving forward. And i have notices that when i put the geat to P or N now the engine rev very much than earlier.

My question is is this a normal scenario after a tune, or has something gone wrong at the tuning process ? . Expect your valuable comments please.

Once you put it on to D & release the break the car moves at a very low phase (without the use of the accellerator).

What is the RPM figure you mean by 'high rev' in gear potion in P or N?? 1000 RPM??

In general the engine idle RPM should be within 700-800RPM, probably the person who attended for the tuning would have increased the engine idle speed.

Agree with the rest of the members comments - in my case it was the other way round while stopping the engine would vibrate a lot as if there was no fuel coming and it was trying to stop.

Best is to get the agents to do any tune up - I too took it to some place (My mother rather) and they messed it up- A*W would hook it to the system and all sorted out in 15 Min. Cost was not too bad either. Hence nothing too serious.

Cheers

my gut feeling is someone stole a buck off from you for adjust the idle up claiming that he did an 'engine tune-up' :angry-smiley-048::ninja:

Hi guys,

What is a tune up? I hear that a lot of you have one done on your cars in SL. What do they do? Why do you need it? How often do you need it?

To me a car built in the 80 or earlier allows some adjustments to Plug Gaps, Contact breaker point gap/dwell angle, ignition timing, fuel/air mixture and idle speed. In a more detailed way you could adjust the valve clearences-tappets as some of you may know it.

A more modern car has all these controlled by the ECU which is the computer chip with all the manufacturers default data set by the car maker. So suggesting that these can be adjusted is not accurate unless you are talking about re mapping the ecu for enhanced performance etc.

So again I wonder what this tune up is.

By the way I am a mechanic and I own and operate a garage in the UK.

Please enlighten me guys,

Maithri.

P.S. Your problem sounds like somebody interfered with the idle speed and left it idling too fast.

Hi guys,

What is a tune up? I hear that a lot of you have one done on your cars in SL. What do they do? Why do you need it? How often do you need it?

To me a car built in the 80 or earlier allows some adjustments to Plug Gaps, Contact breaker point gap/dwell angle, ignition timing, fuel/air mixture and idle speed. In a more detailed way you could adjust the valve clearences-tappets as some of you may know it.

A more modern car has all these controlled by the ECU which is the computer chip with all the manufacturers default data set by the car maker. So suggesting that these can be adjusted is not accurate unless you are talking about re mapping the ecu for enhanced performance etc.

So again I wonder what this tune up is.

By the way I am a mechanic and I own and operate a garage in the UK.

Please enlighten me guys,

Maithri.

P.S. Your problem sounds like somebody interfered with the idle speed and left it idling too fast.

Some places like M*g*i*y does a funny engine tune up.. I once went with a friend of my who took his Hyundai Accent for a tune up. What they've done was a DYI job and charged a good 1750/- in 2005. All what they've done was removed the throttle body and cleaned it up with W*rt* throttle body and injector cleaner or s'thing and removed the idle up valve together with the motor and cleaned that.. removed the plugs cleaned them and cleaned the plug tops .. that was their engine tune-up.. I was awaiting to see a tune-up carried out with assistance of a ECU scanning tool which they haven't done on that car.. :blink:

Thanks! I am starting to get the picture now. Beware though, some cars need the throttle initial position to be re set by using a diagnostic tool for correct operation. Do you get many cars with EGR (Exhaust gas recirculating) valves. These clog up with soot and carbon-I know diesel Pajero's from the mid 1990's suffer from this. Do the garages get involved with these? I clean these using the same brand throttle body cleaner as mentioned above with good results. The product range from them is wide ranging and in my opinion does what it says it will do on the tin.

Maithri.

I also drive a FB 15 & got some experience about tuning. Recommended idle is about 748 rpm. But when the engine temperature is low it maintain higher rpm about 1100 until engine reach to it’s ideal temperature. During this period obliviously you need some extra effort to keep the car still. I said extra because even with recommended idle you need breaks to stop the car & that very norm for A/T.

sorry guys for late reply, I have another problem now. the thing is in my car there is no RPM meter :). So in that case is there any technique to get the idea of the engine rpm ?

Avoid DIY !! Take it to the nearest garage,It takes nothing more than two minutes. :D

the car tries to move forward when i put the gear to D ( and not giving any gas) . I really have to press the brake peddle very hard to stop it moving forward. And i have notices that when i put the geat to P or N now the engine rev very much than earlier.

It's your idle speed. It's a simple adjustment if you know where the knob is.

And Mazdaspeed, you're problem was the same. Your idle was set way too low. In both cases it's a quick adjustment that takes less than five minutes. If you don't have an RPM gauge then you have to adjust it by listening to the engine. Keep lowering it until the engine starts vibrating and feels like it's about to stall. This means that the engine isn't turning over enough to overcome it's internal resistive forces. Once you figure out where that point is, just increase the idle speed until the vibration stops and it feels like the engine is "comfortable". If your car still stalls when starting off then set the speed higher or check the clutch.

Hope that helps. :)