• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Airtel Is Comming Soon To Sri Lanka

raveen

Who will be the #1? Dialog?? Airtel? or?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Number One mobile network provider in the future?

• Bharathi Airtel
    • DialogGSM
    • Tigo
    • Hutch
    • Mobitel

Airtell is a BOI project ,my question is why there want to start it as a BOI project.and main thing is only one person got share from Airtell ,idnt want to say who is he.Airtell is one of the mobile service providers in india there saying Airtell is da #1,there cnt find big customers overhere bcoz lot of service providers already came to the seen and sri lanka not a big country like india we dnt hv big market for any product or service ,under this situation why there r suppose to start a business in sri lanka.how who knw the reason for this .We hv more than enough mobile service providers in sri lanka.

in my point of view someone r trying to reach or breack the marketing leadership.We better to give 1st priority to our(Sri Lankan )service providers.

dude you sound like a member of the JHU. therefor let me take it upon myself to open your eyes. the whole point of BOI is to encourage foreign investments in the country and that is exactly what has happened with Airtel. just because local organizations or the government is not capable of operating a telecommunications company it is not fare to discourage foreign investors from entering the sector.

there's no such a thing as too many competitors in a market place. in fact more the competition better for the consumer as the benefits are passed towards them. this has already taken place in the telecommunications sector. back in the days one have to stay in the waiting list for years to obtain a fixed line telephone from SLT and the consumer has to bear the cost of incoming calls in mobile phones but now it has changed completely due to intense rivalry among service providers.

Last but not least which 'sri lankan' provider should we give priority to? keep in mind all four major providers Dialog, Mobitel, Hutch, Tigo are NOT sri lankan companys.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude you sound like a member of the JHU. therefor let me take it upon myself to open your eyes. the whole point of BOI is to encourage foreign investments in the country and that is exactly what has happened with Airtel. just because local organizations or the government is not capable of operating a telecommunications company it is not fare to discourage foreign investors from entering the sector.

there's no such a thing as too many competitors in a market place. in fact more the competition better for the consumer as the benefits are passed towards them. this has already taken place in the telecommunications sector. back in the days one have to stay in the waiting list for years to obtain a fixed line telephone from SLT and the consumer has to bear the cost of incoming calls in mobile phones but now it has changed completely due to intense rivalry among service providers.

Last but not least which 'sri lankan' provider should we give priority to? keep in mind all four major providers Dialog, Mobitel, Hutch, Tigo are NOT sri lankan companys.

well said, but if not for the ban on CDMA fones being carried around, i wud be taking my Lankabell wid me <_<

on a serious note, there must be intense competition but it should not be so cut throat comp.

cos customers will win but the industry will lose

if customers are not there, there wont be an industry

but

if industry loses, we will not get optimum benefit from the available resources :action-smiley-060:

well said, but if not for the ban on CDMA fones being carried around, i wud be taking my Lankabell wid me <_<

on a serious note, there must be intense competition but it should not be so cut throat comp.

cos customers will win but the industry will lose

if customers are not there, there wont be an industry

but

if industry loses, we will not get optimum benefit from the available resources :action-smiley-060:

you got a very valid point. I believe it’s the regulators job to keep the completion clean. Virgin Atlantic’s little stunt on BA to increase transatlantic passenger numbers come to my mind

DialogGSM, Sri lanka's #1 mobile phone network provider recently announced that they have lost Rs 500 mil. bux from their subsidiary company DialogTv. According to the CEO of DialogTv, Mr.Naushad Perera, DialogTv has won a customer base of 45,000 with-in 9 months. But still they havent make any profit out of them. Whats the reason? inefficiency? High Expenses? However Dialog share prices have gone down from Rs 26.00 to around Rs 20.00 (some says thats bcoz of the budget)

At this situation, Bharathi Airtel (India's #1) which handles 50 million mobile accounts in India, annonced that they will commence business in Sri Lanka from March 2008. It has already registered the business in Sri Lanka under the name "Airtel Lanka (Pvt) Ltd" as a BOI Project. And also They have reserved the web doamin www.airtel.com.lk under thier company. So we can expect them soon. According to the rumors, Airtel is going to slash the Sri Lankan mobile market with their cheap call charges.

As we have seen in the history, several new operators came to this industy such as HUTCH, Tigo etc but still, Dialog GSM is the number one. (Just to mention, I too use a Dialog and I'm satisfied with their service) But, Will they be able to keep their position after the arrival of India's Number one Airtel?

:jumping-smiley-013: Comments plz...

i knw dat sir,itz true.but i'm talking about mobile service providers point of view ,how there going to earn money. u knw yesdy BOI granted investment approval to a new mobile and fixed telecommunications network provider.in our point of view (customers) itz very good 4 us,bouz if there any market compition we cn get more benifits.

i knw dat sir,itz true.but i'm talking about mobile service providers point of view ,how there going to earn money. u knw yesdy BOI granted investment approval to a new mobile and fixed telecommunications network provider.in our point of view (customers) itz very good 4 us,bouz if there any market compition we cn get more benifits.

Guess your taking about RTEC Mobile Lanka.

“RTEC Mobile Lanka will set up 1000 base stations in the country and also expects to utilise the existing base stations to provide the service. The company has already obtained the required approval to operate from TRC (Telecommunications Regulatory Commission) and expects to commence commercial operations by December 2009.” (BOI)

http://www.boi.lk/BOI2008/topstory.asp?New...35&CatID=44

we got the deler ship for airtel and sims are coming out for sale from monday for less than 200Rs, for the people who alredy registerd will get the free sims from Monday,

Any body got any idea about their post paid tariffs?

thats their official site ryte ? i duno much abt stock maraket but 20 rs coming down to even 5.50 is very low ryte ?

yeah thats quite a drop :(

mind you that was Rs.1 par value share , which was originally sold at Rs.12+ (if i'm not mistaken) which went up...

Ok we all wated for Airtel and i cant understand anythng abt their call charges, prepaid and postpaid have same call charges

22252755kt3.jpg

aprvr4.jpg

( these call charges are not from Airtell official web site so im not sure these charges are conrect or not )

Edited by GihanFX

thats their official site ryte ? i duno much abt stock maraket but 20 rs coming down to even 5.50 is very low ryte ?

yea but it says it's adjusted for rights ....

yea it is low but the par value is Rs. 1

ppl had a lot of confidence when it did the IPO. It was the largest ever and the most successful IPO in CSE.

even now the confidence is still there since it's still much more than the par value...