• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Airtel Is Comming Soon To Sri Lanka

raveen

Who will be the #1? Dialog?? Airtel? or?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Number One mobile network provider in the future?

• Bharathi Airtel
    • DialogGSM
    • Tigo
    • Hutch
    • Mobitel

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well machan this was given to my by a former colleague who is now the brand manager at Airtel. But, if you say so...

i c. evn i aint sure abt it. a friend @ airtel told me. By the way, are u the into the marketing side? Madison Media (from India) has been named as the official advertising agency for Airtel Sri Lanka rite. And few Colombo based agencies such as Reddifusion | DYR and Grant McCaan Ericsson too working for 'em. Heard that they gonna commence operations in few weeks (like on the mid of dec so smtyn) any idea abt it?

:jumping-smiley-013:

Well machan this was given to my by a former colleague who is now the brand manager at Airtel. But, if you say so...

This must be the same colleague we were in Pattaya with eh :P

and on airtel's agency... I heard it was gonna be DYR... Probably they would need new folks to handle the account since to my knowledge they were not large enough agency to handle a lot of work...

cant be grant mccann since they handle Tigo already...

This must be the same colleague we were in Pattaya with eh :P

and on airtel's agency... I heard it was gonna be DYR... Probably they would need new folks to handle the account since to my knowledge they were not large enough agency to handle a lot of work...

cant be grant mccann since they handle Tigo already...

no machang that airtel vacancy full page ad campaign was billed through Grant mccaan (eventhough they do tigo's advertising) i was informed by a guy inside the agency. an indian agency called "madison media" who handle airtel india account is planing to setup an office in colombo. and yes DYR too wrk for them.

no machang that airtel vacancy full page ad campaign was billed through Grant mccaan (eventhough they do tigo's advertising) i was informed by a guy inside the agency. an indian agency called "madison media" who handle airtel india account is planing to setup an office in colombo. and yes DYR too wrk for them.

are you sure mate... cos cell operators are quite strict on these things since everybody wants to have some sorta edge over the other and would not want info to leak to competition...

If one agency handles two mobile operators i dont see how "secrecy" can be kept... Arcy will attest to the fact how serious these things are...

Grants do have a BTL agency too so dunno if they handle Tigo through them and handle AirTel under McCann?

We also have our BTL agency or integrated communications company but can't even think of getting another mobile client :) :) :)

we'll lose the account for even thinking about such things :lol:

are you sure mate... cos cell operators are quite strict on these things since everybody wants to have some sorta edge over the other and would not want info to leak to competition...

If one agency handles two mobile operators i dont see how "secrecy" can be kept... Arcy will attest to the fact how serious these things are...

Grants do have a BTL agency too so dunno if they handle Tigo through them and handle AirTel under McCann?

We also have our BTL agency or integrated communications company but can't even think of getting another mobile client :) :) :)

well yeah Tigo goes through Grant McCaan bt this airtel vacancy ads were gone through Grant PR.

btw r u frm Masters DDB? :-)

well yeah Tigo goes through Grant McCaan bt this airtel vacancy ads were gone through Grant PR.

btw r u frm Masters DDB? :-)

nope... Tigo was launched and still handled by Response, the BTL/integrated comm. arm of Grants, but some teams who are on the account are from Grants.

GrantPR like any PR arm of an agency CAN handle other accounts as long it's not competitive accounts... Probably Tigo PR is not done by grantsPR...

Doubt any big league client would tolerate such things :)

And no i'm not @DDB :)

nope... Tigo was launched and still handled by Response, the BTL/integrated comm. arm of Grants, but some teams who are on the account are from Grants.

GrantPR like any PR arm of an agency CAN handle other accounts as long it's not competitive accounts... Probably Tigo PR is not done by grantsPR...

Doubt any big league client would tolerate such things :)

And no i'm not @DDB :)

well im nt sure which arm of grants is handling Tigo. maybe yea Response.

bt i knw those airtel ads were gone through grants, coz the guy who handled it @ grants, told me.

are u in the creative dpt? or wts ur area.

ya machan that is a serious 'no go' area. The agency is privvy to info that 95% of the staff don't know. So it's a pretty serious deal. Really can't imagine any of the other operators concenting to their agencies taking on multiple telcos either.

Ot, Ripper I was at the shoot for the new campaign today and met your other art director. you gonna get involved with this campaign?

ya machan that is a serious 'no go' area. The agency is privvy to info that 95% of the staff don't know. So it's a pretty serious deal. Really can't imagine any of the other operators concenting to their agencies taking on multiple telcos either.

Ot, Ripper I was at the shoot for the new campaign today and met your other art director. you gonna get involved with this campaign?

Raveen

ok...i'm @leo...creative...art... title is CGH...or creative group head... rather horrible title to carry around :) :)

Arc...

was this a girl AD? If it is...she's the drinking buddy more than a co-worker :) :)

or if it was that out of colombo shoot... those guys are from another team :) more S based folks

@the moment i'm not doing any big stuff for you guys... The last biggest job i was in for M was the retail branding stuff... Still ongoing as you know :) :)

I mostly get involved in post paid and corporate stuff since my team is more E based....

• 1 month later...

on the topic of mobile telecom providers i have a question... earlier this month i bought myself a Dialog sim/connection from their office on duplication road. It cost me Rs.600.00 and came with no credit so i bought a Rs.400 card along with it...This afternoon i was in kataragama and to mu horrid suprise there was a mobile dialog booth giving away SIMs for free! yes free.. you have tp pay Rs.100 but that Rs,100 comes to you in return as credit, so the SIM itself is free... And few feet away from it was a Tigo stall ALSO giving away free SIMs. Same deal except only 25 rupees.... I was like what the hell....I find it strange that Dialog themselves charge you for the sim while other tiny sellers dont.. i would expect it to be the other 3way around... Maybe someone can explain WHY this is so to me...

on the topic of mobile telecom providers i have a question... earlier this month i bought myself a Dialog sim/connection from their office on duplication road. It cost me Rs.600.00 and came with no credit so i bought a Rs.400 card along with it...This afternoon i was in kataragama and to mu horrid suprise there was a mobile dialog booth giving away SIMs for free! yes free.. you have tp pay Rs.100 but that Rs,100 comes to you in return as credit, so the SIM itself is free... And few feet away from it was a Tigo stall ALSO giving away free SIMs. Same deal except only 25 rupees.... I was like what the hell....I find it strange that Dialog themselves charge you for the sim while other tiny sellers dont.. i would expect it to be the other 3way around... Maybe someone can explain WHY this is so to me...

this free sim thing stared by Hutch, and the truth is communication owners has to buy a sim card for 100 rs from the company and to give the sim to free for anyone willing to reload 100 rs, then they said later they gna pay the communications 100 rs + 75 rs as the commision, cus of that 75% profit communications only prtomoted Hutch and as i know there were lots of sales, but the sad part is Hutch company still unable to pay the money for the communications, then mobitel and dialog along with tigo did the same thng but cus of bad experieance with hutch most communication people not doing the free sim thing, but still some people do it even its a risk,

The Katharagama guy must be new to this business so hes takn a risk, i alos herd there are few shops around the CMB still do the same thng

i've noticed a few of the road side "communication" joints along Galle Rd have AirTel signboards put up - still under wraps though , but unmissable to the discerning eye :lol:

yeah they gona gve the reload facility to us very soon and we already signed with them for sims and reload

it normally is higher at the company, dunno for wt reason.

even mobi prepaid 500/- frm the office and 200/- in communications (earlier)

now with the market getting competitive and the charges slashed, they just want to get more sims sold. wt is a better tactic than giving it away free?? <_<

not only in kataragama....it's there even in colombo. just started. :action-smiley-060:

this free sim thing stared by Hutch, and the truth is communication owners has to buy a sim card for 100 rs from the company and to give the sim to free for anyone willing to reload 100 rs, then they said later they gna pay the communications 100 rs + 75 rs as the commision, cus of that 75% profit communications only prtomoted Hutch and as i know there were lots of sales, but the sad part is Hutch company still unable to pay the money for the communications, then mobitel and dialog along with tigo did the same thng but cus of bad experieance with hutch most communication people not doing the free sim thing, but still some people do it even its a risk,

The Katharagama guy must be new to this business so hes takn a risk, i alos herd there are few shops around the CMB still do the same thng

from what I’ve heard from a person who works for Hutch, there was some sort of a scam surrounding the free sim commission among the re-sellers hence why they have delayed/stopped the payments. i'm sure though the companies poor cash flow must have paid a part in that decision making process too.

from what I’ve heard from a person who works for Hutch, there was some sort of a scam surrounding the free sim commission among the re-sellers hence why they have delayed/stopped the payments. i'm sure though the companies poor cash flow must have paid a part in that decision making process too.

i heard that too, i know some re sellers spend more than 5 lacks to buy sims and now they havn a hard time,

DialogGSM, Sri lanka's #1 mobile phone network provider recently announced that they have lost Rs 500 mil. bux from their subsidiary company DialogTv. According to the CEO of DialogTv, Mr.Naushad Perera, DialogTv has won a customer base of 45,000 with-in 9 months. But still they havent make any profit out of them. Whats the reason? inefficiency? High Expenses? However Dialog share prices have gone down from Rs 26.00 to around Rs 20.00 (some says thats bcoz of the budget)

At this situation, Bharathi Airtel (India's #1) which handles 50 million mobile accounts in India, annonced that they will commence business in Sri Lanka from March 2008. It has already registered the business in Sri Lanka under the name "Airtel Lanka (Pvt) Ltd" as a BOI Project. And also They have reserved the web doamin www.airtel.com.lk under thier company. So we can expect them soon. According to the rumors, Airtel is going to slash the Sri Lankan mobile market with their cheap call charges.

As we have seen in the history, several new operators came to this industy such as HUTCH, Tigo etc but still, Dialog GSM is the number one. (Just to mention, I too use a Dialog and I'm satisfied with their service) But, Will they be able to keep their position after the arrival of India's Number one Airtel?

:jumping-smiley-013: Comments plz...

Airtell is a BOI project ,my question is why there want to start it as a BOI project.and main thing is only one person got share from Airtell ,idnt want to say who is he.Airtell is one of the mobile service providers in india there saying Airtell is da #1,there cnt find big customers overhere bcoz lot of service providers already came to the seen and sri lanka not a big country like india we dnt hv big market for any product or service ,under this situation why there r suppose to start a business in sri lanka.how who knw the reason for this .We hv more than enough mobile service providers in sri lanka.

in my point of view someone r trying to reach or breack the marketing leadership.We better to give 1st priority to our(Sri Lankan )service providers.

Edited by Aruna Indrajith