• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Airtel Is Comming Soon To Sri Lanka

raveen

Who will be the #1? Dialog?? Airtel? or?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Number One mobile network provider in the future?

• Bharathi Airtel
    • DialogGSM
    • Tigo
    • Hutch
    • Mobitel

well peri, i'n not sure that the individual towers are effected by network overload (congestion). Congestion depends on the utilisation of the individiual netwok. so higher networks or networks which do not operate at 100% - 125% capacity will not have congestion.

but if a tower does go down, then subsribers of all the networks which use that particular tower would lose network coverage (signals). And this occurence is more common than one would imagine ;-)

Network util is one think. There is, however, a certain limit on the number of calls that can be handled by one tower (The Cell). Which is why areas with high density of users need to have more towers with smaller cells, but low density areas have less towers. Thats also why there is overlap. I can walk around my house and pick up signals from 3 different towers. And signals still suck at home. Point being, one of those cells go down, all the phones working on that cell will be affected. That also means if the cell is overloaded (and networks calculate only a certain percentage of people will use the phones at a time and cater to that number) the phones are going down. Again, thats why the phones don't work when a tsunami is coming. When 100s of people within the same cell try to call at once, the cell can't handle it.

At least, thats how I understood it :D

And in that case, having mutiple operators using the same resource sounds like trouble. It'll load up the towers more than normal in any case, but in an emergency ...

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

takes too long to type all that, the questions have been answered :D

By "Tower" I didn't mean the physical tower. I meant the transmitter/receiver being shared. Not the case, I take it?

Yep...

A tower can have multiple receiver/transmitters from different operators...

But i'm assuming that in order to use somebody else's tower, you got to come a financial understanding or maybe something in kind :rolleyes:

Network util is one think. There is, however, a certain limit on the number of calls that can be handled by one tower (The Cell). Which is why areas with high density of users need to have more towers with smaller cells, but low density areas have less towers. Thats also why there is overlap. I can walk around my house and pick up signals from 3 different towers. And signals still suck at home. Point being, one of those cells go down, all the phones working on that cell will be affected. That also means if the cell is overloaded (and networks calculate only a certain percentage of people will use the phones at a time and cater to that number) the phones are going down. Again, thats why the phones don't work when a tsunami is coming. When 100s of people within the same cell try to call at once, the cell can't handle it.

At least, thats how I understood it :D

And in that case, having mutiple operators using the same resource sounds like trouble. It'll load up the towers more than normal in any case, but in an emergency ...

:) simple example:

Tower users - Dialog, Mob, Hutch

Trans/recievers installed in said tower

Dialog - 100

Mobitel - 100

hutch - 100

scenario #1

Dialog - using 100 of the t/r

Mob - using 50

Hutch - using 50

Result

Dialog network will get jammed

Mobitel will not

hutch will not

Scenario #2 (what happens during a tsunami or othe emergency)

dialog - using 100

Mobitel - using 100

Hutch - using 100

result - all networks jammed

So having more operators on a tower will not matter. only the capasity of your networks trans/recievers on that tower will...

my fingers hurt.

A little bit about Airtel.In india they offer very reasonable tariffs and coverage is amazing.A total of 24% of Indian mobile users are with Airtel.

Iam using an Airtel-Karnataka 100suk prepaid connection and ISD for Sri Lanka is only IRs 9 and a text to SL is only I Rs5.Local charges starting at Rs1 and STD at Rs 2.65 a minute.Very cheap comparing to other service providers.Post paid packages are lot cheaper.They offer reasonable roaming and intl roaming facilities and internet based top-up is a good help for international users.

Im sure Airtel will offer unbelievebly low call charges for SL customers and others will follow.

In SL im really happy with Dialog services and call tariff+coverage.Now Im into my 10 th year as a Dialog customer.

MINIACE

MiniAce

Yep...indian internet prices are also pretty darn cheap... The have the 3G wireless web access also much cheaper than ours...

Guess in SL everybody rips off the end consumers <_<

So then it's good news for us consumers if AirTel comes down and offer lower prices with same service standards...

The rest will also have to slash their prices to keep up... Hoorah for that :)

Especially it's nice to see roaming charges going down :jumping-smiley-013:

?? wt did u mean? tolly free outgoing? how much is the rental? :rolleyes:

No.....No .......Guys dont misunderstand me,I was just thinking that.There is no rumor or any hint from Air Tell.Tell me some one if Air tell wont come with something like that would change your Dialog connection to Airtel? :action-smiley-060: ,Dialog has given a superb service all these years comparing other service providers.

No.....No .......Guys dont misunderstand me,I was just thinking that.There is no rumor or any hint from Air Tell.Tell me some one if Air tell wont come with something like that would change your Dialog connection to Airtel? :action-smiley-060: ,Dialog has given a superb service all these years comparing other service providers.

last time i heard about this whole free incoming call chargers saga there were some legal/regulation barriers preventing such a move. if Airtel start to slash the incoming chargers i'm sure other will follow their footsteps.

I'd be happy if our damn mobile operators just stop thinking about new connections, AirTel and advertising and just give us a service that does not result in congestion during a crisis- like today. So frustrating when you cant get through to check if people are alright.

On the flip side- as long as inter-operator number transferability does not exist, its gonna be pretty hard to churn existing connections. Price is just one element in the marketing mix :)

I'd be happy if our damn mobile operators just stop thinking about new connections, AirTel and advertising and just give us a service that does not result in congestion during a crisis- like today.

totaly agree... Even though most networks like to think they have bullet-proof contingency plans, in reality they just dont...

Politicos and Heads of security demanding networks to shut down certain areas/towers/lines immediately after such incidents does not help either.

inter-operator number transferability does not exist

this might not be as far of as we think bro... ;)

takes too long to type all that, the questions have been answered :D

By "Tower" I didn't mean the physical tower. I meant the transmitter/receiver being shared. Not the case, I take it?

This statement is incorrect.

What is meant by "Tower sharing" is actually sharing the structure ONLY.. (shelter where the BTS equipments is installed, power rectifiers, 19" racks etc)

Transceivers, Microwaves (transmission) and Antennas are NOT shared... (technically is cannot be done, all the way) however, for in-building coverage the RF cables can be shared, provided the 2 operators are in different frequencies (eg. 900 and 1800 bands)

And by the way, the network of Airtel is not funded by them selves.. it is outsources and managed by a Chinese supplier... (a pay as u grow model)

• 1 month later...

What is meant by "Tower sharing" is actually sharing the structure ONLY.. (shelter where the BTS equipments is installed, power rectifiers, 19" racks etc)

Transceivers, Microwaves (transmission) and Antennas are NOT shared... (technically is cannot be done, all the way) however, for in-building coverage the RF cables can be shared, provided the 2 operators are in different frequencies (eg. 900 and 1800 bands)

And by the way, the network of Airtel is not funded by them selves.. it is outsources and managed by a Chinese supplier... (a pay as u grow model)

Bugatti

is this chinese supplier by any chance be Huawei?

I think Huawei already supplies network hardware etc to both dialog and mobitel if i'm not wrong. don't know how the finances are worked out though

What he says is correct. Transceivers, Microwaves and Antennas are NOT shared. But the tower will be shared. It’s think this is prohibited by law now put up a new tower when there is a tower all ready available in the same location.

• 8 months later...
Bugatti

is this chinese supplier by any chance be Huawei?

I think Huawei already supplies network hardware etc to both dialog and mobitel if i'm not wrong. don't know how the finances are worked out though

I should add something to your comment Ripper. Huawei not only supplies to Dialog and Mobitel, afaik it also supplies CDMA phone sets to Sri Lanka Telecom too.

Edited by Car Maniac

Lanka bell is the worst service provider in sri lanka.

Well I work for a competitor of Lanka Bell. However they can not be banned as the worst.

Airtel is a mobile operator thus irrelevant here – even so there is a saying

“The know devil is better than the unknown angel ”

Dude,

What's your point..?? is your conclusion based on the network equipment they use? FYI, all CDMA providers (except SLT) uses Huawei hardware in the core. Only the access technologies vary.

Hey, remember Lankabell having a separate submarine cable to expand their capacity which was laid very recently. Everybody were using the SEA-ME-WE-4 cable which is belong to SLT. Which means everybody is finally under SLT. But now Lankabell having a separate submarine cable for their customers and now SLT loosing their monopoly in submarine cable sharing. Bharati will use their own submarine cable laid by themself like lankabell. We were expecting significant change in lankabell tariff after laying this cable, however unfortunately they are very slow in doing the other technical requirements to get use of the fibre optic cable.

Yes LB do have their own cable . However SLT does not own the Se-Me-We cable as such. The landing station is SLT . The consortium consists of several international telecom providers wo are joint owners of the cable.

Barathi coming out with fibre is yet unknown but if it does –YES the roads are going to get damaged <_<:(

cus we in this business if some one say Dialog is the best its a big lie, even they have a huge coustomer base they will loose it in next couple of years, in 2008 Mobitel and Tigo share the most Sim card prepaid sales and Dialog is the last, Most Dialog users goin for Mobitel conections and with the New

"UPHARA" package for government workers they have a chance to be the Number 1, As i know Airtell call chargers are low, now very low, so if they have any idea to be the number one then they need to do lods of fighting with Mobitell and Dialog,