• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Which Engine Oil To Ne Used?

Ruslan

Question

Guys i have Toyota Corolla 122 (1ZZ-FE Engine) 1.8 Liter One. I have goggled about which engine oil to be used in my corolla. most sites (Including www.mobiloil.com) says 5W-30 to be used on normal conditions? i don't know whether this will be changed according to regions? anyone guys? :unsure:

if i remember right the nissan owners manual recommends 15-40W or 15-50W in hot countries..but there wouldnt be any problem in using the oil that you have mentioned in your post..anyway lets wait till the others comment on this matter..

Edited by GearHead

With the climate in SL, you really don't need 5W-30. Don't worry too much about the W number 'cos you're never gonna see winter, but using a 30-40 weight for SL would be ideal. If you have a higher mileage car, go for a heavier oil like a 40 to account for engine wear.

I agree with mean green, the 'W' rating is for the viscocity in Winter-not really any point in a tropical country. I have looked in a few car handbooks and seen a table showing the viscocity indexes according to the temperature expected. The higher number 30, 40 etc is more important in SL. If your car is relatively good enginewise a 10w-40 grade should be fine. But look also for the API Index most hand books will also give the minimum requirement for this-it indicates the all important additive package in the oil which is what seperates the high quality oils from the cheap products. Most oil companies will say theirs is the best product without stating under what circumstances. In a hot climate on a car used mostly in traffic jammed colombo the demands on the engine oil will be totally different to the requirements of a car driven at normal speeds during a freezing winter day. So what is good for the same car in North America is not really suitable for use in the same car in SL.

Also just because it's expensive it's not always the best!

Maithri.

Guys i have Toyota Corolla 122 (1ZZ-FE Engine) 1.8 Liter One. I have goggled about which engine oil to be used in my corolla. most sites (Including www.mobiloil.com) says 5W-30 to be used on normal conditions? i don't know whether this will be changed according to regions? anyone guys? :unsure:

Mobils XHP or Castrol GTX so far so good. but remember to use mineral engine oil if you are using 95 Octane Petrol. There is a practical issue using fully synthetic oil and 95 Octane. Toyota lanka recommended me to use Mobil XHP or Castrol GTX with Genuine oil filter for 10,000 km. but i usually change every 5000km. I use Castrol GTX it is 20W-50W

Mobils XHP or Castrol GTX so far so good. but remember to use mineral engine oil if you are using 95 Octane Petrol. There is a practical issue using fully synthetic oil and 95 Octane. Toyota lanka recommended me to use Mobil XHP or Castrol GTX with Genuine oil filter for 10,000 km. but i usually change every 5000km. I use Castrol GTX it is 20W-50W

Nilantha, What's Your Car's Engine by the way? is it a 1NZ FE?? and 20W50???? Isn't it bit too thick?? I asked from toyota and they said not to use any Cal** Brands cos they are having few issues with that engine oil. (Specially with VVTI Engines) even Toyota Advised me to use Mobil XHP.

Edited by Ruslan

Mobils XHP or Castrol GTX so far so good. but remember to use mineral engine oil if you are using 95 Octane Petrol. There is a practical issue using fully synthetic oil and 95 Octane.

Bull Sh*t there is no evidence to prove this 'theory'..

Go ahead and use Mobil XHP its a superb oil and will serve the purpose.. change it every 3500-4000kms or use use Mobil1 and change it every 5000 or so

Edited by Pilawoos

Go ahead and use Mobil XHP its a superb oil and will serve the purpose.. change it every 3500-4000kms or use use Mobil1 and change it every 5000 or so

Evidence will have in front of your eyes if you use fully synthetic oil and 95 Octane petrol for about two years.

Evidence will have in front of your eyes if you use fully synthetic oil and 95 Octane petrol for about two years.

Nilantha, a lot of people do believe it or not, in fact 95 octane users are more likely to use synthetic oil as they are more likely to own performance oriented cars, who then are more likely to use synthetic oils.

My car has used 95 and fully synth for well over 2 years. Exactly what am I supposed to have in front of my eyes? :rolleyes:

yes Nilantha, I am also quite intrigued to know. I just did a complete overhaul on my P11/SR20 and changed to Mobil 1 and now runs only on 95. What am I to look for? Also I had a Corolla 121 with the 1 NZFE and ran for 3 years on Mobil 1 and 95 and till now I haven't had any issues, the guy who bought my car still continues the same trend and so far no blown engine...so whats the deal. Please share with us. We might have missed something here.

yes Nilantha, I am also quite intrigued to know. I just did a complete overhaul on my P11/SR20 and changed to Mobil 1 and now runs only on 95. What am I to look for? Also I had a Corolla 121 with the 1 NZFE and ran for 3 years on Mobil 1 and 95 and till now I haven't had any issues, the guy who bought my car still continues the same trend and so far no blown engine...so whats the deal. Please share with us. We might have missed something here.

This was discussed in a previous thread, that the excess heat from generated by higher ignition temperatures cause a chemical break down of synthetic oil causing sludge at least this was the argument.

Frankly though it might be possible with inferior quality oils, I am a sceptic of this being true in high quality oils especially ones meant for high performance cars as ones with forced induction systems would incur even higher operating temperatures compared to ones generated by 95 octane petrol, and some of these synthetic oils are specifically designed for that exact purpose, so I think it would be the inferior quality of the oil not the combination of 95 octane petrol and synthetic oil, which might cause such problems.

I have been using 95 with fully synthetic (mob*l) from 2-1/2 years. 6 months milage comes to about 7000 ~ 8000 kms. I do oil change in 5~ 6 months, never gone over 6 months.

I guess if people want to use it for 10 or 15K irrespective of the time, may get problems. Can't use the same oil for 1 year until the milage is done !

I did a reasonable search on the net to prove your point, no information is available.

I have been using 95 with fully synthetic (mob*l) from 2-1/2 years. 6 months milage comes to about 7000 ~ 8000 kms. I do oil change in 5~ 6 months, never gone over 6 months.

I guess if people want to use it for 10 or 15K irrespective of the time, may get problems. Can't use the same oil for 1 year until the milage is done !

I did a reasonable search on the net to prove your point, no information is available.

Using synthetics for 8000-7000 would be ok. more than that will cause sludge problems specially in Toyota VVTI engines.. thats what i herd from my buddy at Toyota. he said they've received couple of engines to Overhaul due to sludge buildup. it is advisable not to use synthetics on high mileage engines. :rolleyes:

Using synthetics for 8000-7000 would be ok. more than that will cause sludge problems specially in Toyota VVTI engines.. thats what i herd from my buddy at Toyota. he said they've received couple of engines to Overhaul due to sludge buildup. it is advisable not to use synthetics on high mileage engines. :rolleyes:

I think the reason why synthetic oils are probably not best suited to high mileage engines is, on those engines the carbon deposits actually help to keep engine compression !!! and thus the detergents in synthetic oil washing them away is interestingly an undesirable side effect :P

I agree. You'll have engine sludge if you dont change your oil for 2 years :rolleyes:

I used only 95 octane and only synthetic oils on my previous car(99 ViRS) for 4 years, changing oil every 4 months- never ever had sludge problems. The internals were always shinny clean- you could have used the reflection to comb your hair :)

The only logic behind this argument is that there are those who think you can run synthetic for over 12 months and over 12000kms?? what can you expect after that?

Edited by Pilawoos

May be you guys are unaware of the fact, 90 octane is luxury we are experiencing in SL but in UK (where I used to live for a while) 95 octane is standard & you can get 98 octane if you're willing to pay few pennies more. I had a Ford Mondeo & a Rover 418i, both user manuals said there's no point using 98 octane.

I think he means its a luxury as in, its actually available, coz in UK, even tho you have cars thats can use a lower grade fuel, ur forced to pump a higher grade fuel (spending more) coz the lower grade isn't available. Anyone who pumps 90 and went to the shed to find the 90 is over and had to pump 95 will know the feeling.

Mate.

If you don’t know something just say “I don’t know.” Don’t tell lies and bull talks. Visit fallowing web links and gain knowledge.

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

http://www.oilgelsettlement.com/

u r lucky. but now corolla 121 engine only 55,000/=

Visit fallowing web links and gain knowledge.

see this.

Toyota sludge problems

For their part, Toyota have the dubious honour of having the most complaints about sludge buildup in their engines - 3,400 at the last count. At the time of writing there is a class action suit going on against them. Details can be found at www.oilgelsettlement.com

Edited by Nilantha