• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Proton Cars. Good? Or Bad?

tbird

Question

19 answers to this question

Hi,

Pls give all the details about Proton cars. Are they good as Japanese cars?.

Please Proton owners say something. It is highly appreciated.

Thanks

that's too much of a wide question bro :) If you give us something more than just "all the details" we might be able to answer more specifically...

I don't own a Proton but there's a WIRA in office... Don't think they compare to the reliability of a jap car... The one in office though with newer plates looks way to hackneyed

Hi,

Pls give all the details about Proton cars. Are they good as Japanese cars?.

Please Proton owners say something. It is highly appreciated.

Thanks

The older generation protons like the wiras etc are built on solid foundations and basically using Mitsubishi's designs and technology

thus the chassies and the engines are fairly good, the only thing which lets those cars down is the bad quality plastics used which deteriorate much faster than their Japaneses counterparts and thus the interior is a bit of a let down

I've driven a Proton Gen2. Looks are really great. Can be modified as well.Good handling and acceleration. No idea about other models.

Machan,

My brother is going to buy GEN2.

What are the +'s and -s?

How about the fuel efficiency & current market of a used one with K xxxxx plates?

Best

Thilak

Machan,

My brother is going to buy GEN2.

What are the +'s and -s?

How about the fuel efficiency & current market of a used one with K xxxxx plates?

Best

Thilak

Most of the Wira cars from Singapore have run a lot. I have driven a few cars with late English numbers that have come recon. All of them felt like they were after 200k on the road. May be the brandnew ones are better.

A company which ran a fleet of brand new Gen2 car and found it difficult to maintain and run commerically (and switched to the Yaris). Repairs and fuel issues. Those cars were auctioned off a few weeks back but I'm not sure what they fetched. It might be a bit more viable to run on a personal basis but it ends up being a price point decision end of the day.

What is the expected price range on the Gen2 he is looking at?

Edited by milindu

Most of the Wira cars from Singapore have run a lot. I have driven a few cars with late English numbers that have come recon. All of them felt like they were after 200k on the road. May be the brandnew ones are better.

A company which ran a fleet of brand new Gen2 car and found it difficult to maintain and run commerically (and switched to the Yaris). Repairs and fuel issues. Those cars were auctioned off a few weeks back but I'm not sure what they fetched. It might be a bit more viable to run on a personal basis but it ends up being a price point decision end of the day.

What is the expected price range on the Gen2 he is looking at?

Hi

Thanks Milindu for your valuable info.

Machan I could'nt contact him to ask the price he is going to offer.

Normally what should be the best offer for use K plate ?

I think it must be below 2m. Because he has only 1.9m. I know that correctly. :lol::lol:

Also how about the fuel consumption roughly ?

Thilak

Edited by ThilakR

Hi

Thanks Milindu for your valuable info.

Machan I could'nt contact him to ask the price he is going to offer.

Normally what should be the best offer for use K plate ?

I think it must be below 2m. Because he has only 1.9m. I know that correctly. :lol::lol:

Also how about the fuel consumption roughly ?

Thilak

I will get some feed back from the operator who ran that fleet. Pop me a mail on milindumATgmailDOTcom

10ish, in the city. Auto.

According to one of the fleet managers, the issue was fuel consumption averaging 6 to 7 (Toyotas average 10 under similar conditions). The agent has tested and got close 9 on the cars. So my guess is if you are a careful driver, you should be able to get the numbers Peri suggested.

They said in the 2 years from brandnew, that no major problems were noticed and that the suspension held up quite well as opposed to say a Nissan.

The fleet has been auctioned off just under 1.5 mil so 1.9 mil is a bit to steep for a Proton in my opinion.

According to one of the fleet managers, the issue was fuel consumption averaging 6 to 7 (Toyotas average 10 under similar conditions). The agent has tested and got close 9 on the cars. So my guess is if you are a careful driver, you should be able to get the numbers Peri suggested.

Talking thru experience. Has an electronic fuel consumption thingy :) I got better than 10 on the work and back for a few days on the stretch at one time, leaving after the rush hour and coming home late after the traffic dies down :) Long term it hovers just over 10l for 100km, which comes out to just under 10. Say 9-10. This car doesn't get a lot of rush hour driving.

bro i dunno if your reffering to the same fleet, but my buddy's auction place got four gen 2's awhile ago. they still haven't been sold. drove one and was slightly dissapointed cos i expected more from 1.6lt. but the suspension seems pretty good (supposedly lotus underpinnings). it even comes with a front strut bar...

he said the prices were starting from around 1.3mil, but he wasn't sure.

Edited by Arc Angel

bro i dunno if your reffering to the same fleet, but my buddy's auction place got four gen 2's awhile ago. they still haven't been sold. drove one and was slightly dissapointed cos i expected more from 1.6lt. but the suspension seems pretty good (supposedly lotus underpinnings). it even comes with a front strut bar...

he said the prices were starting from around 1.3mil, but he wasn't sure.

110 bhp, what did you expect? If it was the auto, that adds to the feeling. No variable valve tech. It is pretty rev happy tho.