• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fuel Consumption In 2007 Civic

seeker

Question

Hi Guys,

We broght the 2007 civic a couple of months back (Great Car :) ) one issue though.. as of now it's doing only around 6.5 - 7/ l in Colombo. :angry-smiley-005: The agent says the figure is usually around 10 in city. car has done only around 800km. Is this the normal situ until engine gets seasoned or am I missing something here? Really appreciate your help before I buy a licenced gun.... :violent-smiley-030:

By the way, This is a 1.6l, auto transmission, if that helps...

Thanks in advance....

22 answers to this question

Hi Guys,

We broght the 2007 civic a couple of months back (Great Car :) ) one issue though.. as of now it's doing only around 6.5 - 7/ l in Colombo. :angry-smiley-005: The agent says the figure is usually around 10 in city. car has done only around 800km. Is this the normal situ until engine gets seasoned or am I missing something here? Really appreciate your help before I buy a licenced gun.... :violent-smiley-030:

By the way, This is a 1.6l, auto transmission, if that helps...

Thanks in advance....

nothing unusual in that at all... agents arent always all that realistic about the fuel consumption figures they give for cars...... 6.5 - 7 in city sounds about right mate... it's an automatic after all, once the engine gets run in you should see that creep up a little bit but i dont think 10 in the city is feasible...

from what I hear this pretty much seems to be the case. though I heard the 1.8lt does around the same kmpl..

Is it due to our lack of knowlege in utilising the Vtec effectively? Am i wrong in thinking it works best during constant speed?

If that's the case, and given the fact that we have to constantly change speed in SL traffic, is there a way of improving on the above figure? :unsure:

from what I hear this pretty much seems to be the case. though I heard the 1.8lt does around the same kmpl..

Is it due to our lack of knowlege in utilising the Vtec effectively? Am i wrong in thinking it works best during constant speed?

If that's the case, and given the fact that we have to constantly change speed in SL traffic, is there a way of improving on the above figure? :unsure:

what do you mean 'utilising effectively'? your car has an i-vtec engine, so it's not quite like the older vtec's where you have to get to the vtec point for the solenoid to pressurize and for the crazy cams to kick in. the i-vtec will adapt to throttle inputs, so you don't have to drive it at a constant speed. the snag is in the auto box. Thats the main culprit if you ask me.

We have the 1.8S civic tiptronic. The car is driven in Matara, strangely it does about 10km/l if not more. I'm quite surprised to hear the 1.6 doing even lesser. Maybe you drive in dense traffic.:unsure: There are 4 civics in Matara and I know the owners of 3 of them. 2 are 1.6s and the other is 1.8 bought for the permit about 6month ago.

Are you reffering to the 2006 model??What's the 2007?.

I think the stafford has the 2006 model. :unsure: Some help :unsure:

We have the 1.8S civic tiptronic. The car is driven in Matara, strangely it does about 10km/l if not more. I'm quite surprised to hear the 1.6 doing even lesser. Maybe you drive in dense traffic.:unsure: There are 4 civics in Matara and I know the owners of 3 of them. 2 are 1.6s and the other is 1.8 bought for the permit about 6month ago.

Are you reffering to the 2006 model??What's the 2007?.

I think the stafford has the 2006 model. :unsure: Some help :unsure:

im assuming he means the same car, he probably bought it this year therefore assumes it is a 2007 model...

well 10km/l from the 1.8 is quite suprising, is it mainly city driving? thing is, in colombo it is a whole different ball game when it comes to traffic, and i suppose then things like the weight, autobox and all combine to cause a bit of an issue with fuel.

what do you mean 'utilising effectively'? your car has an i-vtec engine, so it's not quite like the older vtec's where you have to get to the vtec point for the solenoid to pressurize and for the crazy cams to kick in. the i-vtec will adapt to throttle inputs, so you don't have to drive it at a constant speed. the snag is in the auto box. Thats the main culprit if you ask me.

Do you mean it's a prob with the gear ratio? in which case we've no choice here? :mellow:

im assuming he means the same car, he probably bought it this year therefore assumes it is a 2007 model...

well 10km/l from the 1.8 is quite suprising, is it mainly city driving? thing is, in colombo it is a whole different ball game when it comes to traffic, and i suppose then things like the weight, autobox and all combine to cause a bit of an issue with fuel.

Yep! sorry guys for quoting the wrong year. it's the '06 model, brought in '07, as Supra mentions....

Think U R right on second count as well .... there's less traffic in Matara, given U avoid school traffic.... but 3km is a huge difference

Anyway, getting back, can you guys recommend any method on improving on the fuel thing..... :)

Do you mean it's a prob with the gear ratio? in which case we've no choice here? :mellow:

not the ratios per se, just the simple fact that its an automatic gearbox..... unlike a manual where you pick your own ratios depending on the driving, the autobox will shift based on its shift programming, an automatic might shift several times in a situation where a driver with a manual gearbox would simply stay in one gear, such as in a traffic situation for example, which negatively affects consumption.

in fact, we have a 2004 ES8 Civic automatic (1.5), and in colombo it does only about 7-8 Km/l...... so the somewhat heavier newer civic will probably consume much the same i suppose.

Yep! sorry guys for quoting the wrong year. it's the '06 model, brought in '07, as Supra mentions....

Think U R right on second count as well .... there's less traffic in Matara, given U avoid school traffic.... but 3km is a huge difference

Anyway, getting back, can you guys recommend any method on improving on the fuel thing..... :)

being someone going to matara quite often city trafic in colomobo and matara are quite different. In the town there is trafic, but it always moves. very rarely does the car come to a standstill. but colombo's trafic lights and trafic cops cause pretty much standstill trafic.. so i guess part of the the 3kmpl anomaly can be atributed to that...

and personally, driving in matara is much calmer... not just people FROM matara... even i tend to ease on the accelarator in matara as opposed to colombo...

drive only outstation!! just kidding :)

well try and apply as little throttle as possible, avoid abruptly flooring the accelerator when overtaking and such (flooring the pedal causes the box to drop a gear or two down for power) and dont rev it much....

realistically though i think that amount is what it will be doing, might improve a little after a few kms pass under the wheels but im guessing you're looking at 8ish at best in city.... my neighbour bought one of the first 1.8 civic autos that came here, they've had it for just about two years now and the car is not driven hard at all, still the best they've managed is around 7 km/l in colombo (they did get 13 odd outstation though)

civics arent really the most economical cars in that category, they are designed with different priorities i guess. the 06 civic is a really nice car, so i hope you enjoy it, and not worry too much about the fuel!

Cheers

S_N

being someone going to matara quite often city trafic in colomobo and matara are quite different. In the town there is trafic, but it always moves. very rarely does the car come to a standstill. but colombo's trafic lights and trafic cops cause pretty much standstill trafic.. so i guess part of the the 3kmpl anomaly can be atributed to that...

and personally, driving in matara is much calmer... not just people FROM matara... even i tend to ease on the accelarator in matara as opposed to colombo...

Agreed 100% :D

well, you could remap your ecu to alter the preset ratios. but I doubt it'll cause a noteworthy improvement. Just ride it out for a while more and see how it goes. and try and keep your right foot in check like supra mentioned :)

btw, I know the car is brand new, but it couldn't hurt to check out the filters and the plugs just to be sure...

Edited by Arc Angel

drive only outstation!! just kidding :)

well try and apply as little throttle as possible, avoid abruptly flooring the accelerator when overtaking and such (flooring the pedal causes the box to drop a gear or two down for power) and dont rev it much....

civics arent really the most economical cars in that category, they are designed with different priorities i guess. the 06 civic is a really nice car, so i hope you enjoy it, and not worry too much about the fuel!

Cheers

S_N

Guess U R right again.. Anyway, will try out Ur advice.....

I do agree... the car's fantastic.... but there'll always be that tiny bit some where in the corner of the heart that'll yearn for a few more meters on the juice....

Thanks loads, guys, for all the help... :rolleyes:

well, you could remap your ecu to alter the preset ratios. but I doubt it'll cause a noteworthy improvement. Just ride it out for a while more and see how it goes. and try and keep your right foot in check like supra mentioned :)

btw, I know the car is brand new, but it couldn't hurt to check out the filters and the plugs just to be sure...

Indeed!:D ... and not necessarily because we distrust anybody in good ole SL, eh (if U know what I mean!)

I think wisest at this moment is to follow Supra's advice.... don't really want to mess up with the ECU.... not when it's this new... :)

You should also check this out.

http://www.hondamakati.com.ph/Ver2/News&am...Submit=Features

Once I drove from Matara to Colombo and back. My rough calculations says near 14km/l. <_< <_<

Unbelievable??Believe it. It defineatly does more than 10 outstation.

Well that's some consolation... anyway... read that article.... if I'm not mistaken, they've don somthing like 26/l under various conditions (minus the three wheelers and Busses filled roads).... beats me how they managed that figure.... :unsure:

8 is the figure I have heard too. And Mirihana, if you manage to cruise at a constant 60-70 there is no reason why you shouldn't get 14. Or even better. But cruising in Colombo at around 5kmph while hitting the brakes every 3-4 meters to stop and idle, well....

8 is the figure I have heard too. And Mirihana, if you manage to cruise at a constant 60-70 there is no reason why you shouldn't get 14. Or even better. But cruising in Colombo at around 5kmph while hitting the brakes every 3-4 meters to stop and idle, well....

Spot on! The cruise control can be easily used at late night and early morning..

@seeker

(driving pleasure+prestige looks+excellent handling+safety+comfort+acceleration) compensates fuel consumption so I don't think you have nothing to worry. <_<

By the way do you have the same difficulty of judging the distance from the cockpit to the front bumper. I normally judge the length really well but this is a bit hard isn't it?? when passing a suddenly stopping bus or when overtaking. :blink::blink:

Spot on! The cruise control can be easily used at late night and early morning..

@seeker

(driving pleasure+prestige looks+excellent handling+safety+comfort+acceleration) compensates fuel consumption so I don't think you have nothing to worry. <_<

By the way do you have the same difficulty of judging the distance from the cockpit to the front bumper. I normally judge the length really well but this is a bit hard isn't it?? when passing a suddenly stopping bus or when overtaking. :blink::blink:

Ah yes! the no: plate seems a half a mile from the drivers head rest; but I'm kind of getting used to it. anyway, keeping an extra centimetre away from buses won't hurt, is it? :)

But one thing that worries me is the way the front no plate sticks out from either side.....very good chance of getting entangled and broken in car parks......eh? :unsure: