• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Subaru Guru's Advice

Dodge

true that, it really does depend on perspective, but i think what Gtam means is that certain cars have that "special something" that stands them head and shoulders above the rest, and really most japs simply dont possess that.... the italians on the other hand, do the soul part very well...... everything else they seem to have trouble with :D

agreed..

and GTAm bro, I wasn't disputing you...you're right. It's Just that I don't want to think of my baby as soul-less :D

Edited by Arc Angel

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually would love to have an Italian car though.. a family member once owned an Alfa 146 which I used to get to drive once in away those day's.. man I've yet come across a sweeter gear box than the one that had.. so damn hard and sporty.. the sort that only a true enthusiast would appreciate. Even though I never pushed it through corners it had a very responsive steering and I love the heavy feel it had.. sadly the car was sold for a song a few years back as it was a bitch to maintain and always broke down :( A civic would have taken it down for sure- but the Alfa sure gave the Driver a different sort of pleasure.. I prefer feel rather than soul when it comes to cars :angry-smiley-048:

Sweetest gearbox on a 146 :blink: !!!! No way mate. I drove one for hours two weeks ago, probably the best 146 in the country. No way is it the sweetest gearbox. The throws are too long and not the smoothest. For me the best ever gear change is in the Mazda MX5 ser 1. Second is the Mazda Interplay that I had with a v short throw that just snicked cogs. My 156 should be somewhere in the top 5 of all the cars that I've driven, which includes a new Boxter in May 07 :rolleyes: .

Anyway there are two models the 1.6 and the 1.7 16V 4 Cam which is the one to go for - 103bhp vs 129bhp. It had many many electrical issues. Thankfully now they are sorted out on most cars.

What exactly do you mean by 'feel'? Can you pls describe?

Soul... hmmmm...

isn't it a matter of perspective? I mean sure, the italians have 'heritage' and 'history' (again the term is relative), but it really depends on what the car means to you, isn't it... If you ask a mini lover, he'll tell you he loves everything the car stands for, body and soul... beetle lovers will say the same.

and for me, my honda is the most soulful creature on earth :) I'm not blind and ignoring the pedigree of proven brands like any of the italians, but i'm merely saying, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a cars soul (to a great extent) is mostly bout how she makes her driver feel...

feel free to thrash my humble opinion :D

Exactly. It's very hard to criticize your own choice. But I like to look at things as objectively as possible. It is hard for sure. I'm not saying that Italains make the best cars in the world. For example there are many areas on my 156 that could be improved when I compare it with say a BMW. It's Just the most soulful ;) and so enjoyable to drive. Most other manufacturers find that impossible achieve.

By the way I love the Mini :) !! It's a fantastic car and one of the best drives I've ever had was in a Mini 1000. I got down witha grin on my face. It's one of the all time greatest. However I can tell you that the ancient A series engine sounds and feels crap compared with say an Alfa flat four. Mostly because of the difference in age and sophistication in engineering.

I don't know about the Beetle as I have not driven one in a long long time. But I actually don't have much interest in them for some reason. Maybe I don't like the shape and the noise.

It is a matter of perspective, but there is a good better and best. As well as a average, poor and bad. If not premium cars could never charge a premium price. A good example is Lexus. People don't just pay extra for the badge. There is a lot of sophisticated engineering that goes into them over a Toyota. In less developed markets you can trick the folk for a while but they do get smart eventually.

Sweetest gearbox on a 146 :blink: !!!! No way mate. I drove one for hours two weeks ago, probably the best 146 in the country. No way is it the sweetest gearbox. The throws are too long and not the smoothest. For me the best ever gear change is in the Mazda MX5 ser 1. Second is the Mazda Interplay that I had with a v short throw that just snicked cogs. My 156 should be somewhere in the top 5 of all the cars that I've driven, which includes a new Boxter in May 07 :rolleyes: .

Anyway there are two models the 1.6 and the 1.7 16V 4 Cam which is the one to go for - 103bhp vs 129bhp. It had many many electrical issues. Thankfully now they are sorted out on most cars.

What exactly do you mean by 'feel'? Can you pls describe?

:D well let me put it this way.. the box was hard enough for you to like it on weekends and curse it on weekdays.. opinions opinions.. but yeah maybe I got carried away in saying it was sweetest.. :( by the way what was the number & color of the 146 you drove?

'Feel'?? soon as you describle soul dude :)

true that, it really does depend on perspective, but i think what Gtam means is that certain cars have that "special something" that stands them head and shoulders above the rest, and really most japs simply dont possess that.... the italians on the other hand, do the soul part very well...... everything else they seem to have trouble with :D

I know what you mean. Got to have a run in a Fiat X1/9 around Katu. Way too small for me, cramped, can work all the pedals with one foot, terrifying approaching corners cos it felt like the brakes didn't work, but still, for all that.... whatta car.

I just got to know this but probably you guys know it. Subaru WRX doesnt need a turbo timer because when its hard driven and engine shutdown (water pump) the coolant works inside to cool the oil.

by the way say no mods to the car and how long will a turbo last in a subaru.

:D well let me put it this way.. the box was hard enough for you to like it on weekends and curse it on weekdays.. opinions opinions.. but yeah maybe I got carried away in saying it was sweetest.. :( by the way what was the number & color of the 146 you drove?

'Feel'?? soon as you describle soul dude :)

19-6332 you wanna pic too ;) ? Oh so now the sweetest box was a curse on weekdays :o ??

Soul - It's hard to describe it even in a Human being :rolleyes: , but I'll try...... It's the connection that you the driver, feel with that car. The noise.....like no other.....you know has been tuned and fine tuned by a master with passion to perfection to give you the maximum aural pleasure.....Like the way your favourite songs makes you feel when you listen to it. It's the painstaking human effort that goes into designing and engineering the car and which is shown in the car's perfornmance. It's not simply what it does, but "HOW" it does it........ It's how much "passion went in" to this effort not a thougt like "how can we make a bigger profit?" Or "let's copy that car and make it sound louder than that"..................Before you say "opinions"; I would like to remind you that there are educated critics and uneducated critics. For someone who does not understand art a Piccaso will look like some wierd drawing. He or she will not know the difference between a fine wine and jungle hooch :D !! Now I'm not saying I am one who knows about wine....to be honest I know very little. But I know there are various differences. While taste will differ. The most informed will know which are the best! And I am humble enough to seek their adicve.

It's all the mechanicals working in harmony with each other. It is only an artist who can achieve this harmony. It's how a car is designed to look good even after many many years. Not look like something the cat brought in after its replacement came. "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" yeah right! But would prefer dating Whoopi Goldberg over Natalie Portman? It's the intangible, immeasurable thrill the machine gives you when you drive it. And makes you drive it just for the heck of it. It's the ability of that machine to take you on the longer road which has is full of character with many twists and turns and refuse the long straight featureless highway! It's the ability of the machine to change your character and teaches you that there is more than what meets the eye, makes you stretch your mind into understanding deeper things.

Lesson's over for today :D ! GTAm has spoken!!!

• 5 months later...
Ok My New Ride is also the 1999 Subaru Impreza, and its a damn fun car to drive, but there are some advantages and disadvantages too

My car did gud on fuel, and very confy too but the man factor is spare parts are not avilable at all, trsut me thesedays im looking for Subaru front crystal Lights and cant find it anywhere, even body parts like the Fenders, etc

(resurrecting thread)

Gihan- any luck finding parts, apart from Senok? I too, want to stock up on a few parts that are bound to run out, now that the model is approaching 10 years.

thanks

(resurrecting thread)

Gihan- any luck finding parts, apart from Senok? I too, want to stock up on a few parts that are bound to run out, now that the model is approaching 10 years.

thanks

Yeah machan after some time found Head Lights, original WRX Grill and still didnt found Fenders and Im seriously looking for Original Rear Lights, btw i buy most pats from Mirai Auto Land, they have lods of subaru parts but Expensive, and the Grill cost 15, but they have even small interios parts of our Model, and just check with that shop, contact Ronny

Thanks for the info- is it Mirai or Miraj autoland? Are they in panchi?

You're going to tear you hair out when i tell you this- if they charged you 15k for the used grill, you could have spent 1-2k more and bought a brand new one from Japan. I guess the big "if" is if you can dodge the import tax, ahem.

Original rear lights are each about 17k too...again this is pre-import pricing.

Thanks for the info- is it Mirai or Miraj autoland? Are they in panchi?

You're going to tear you hair out when i tell you this- if they charged you 15k for the used grill, you could have spent 1-2k more and bought a brand new one from Japan. I guess the big "if" is if you can dodge the import tax, ahem.

Original rear lights are each about 17k too...again this is pre-import pricing.

Yeah machan but the thing is cant wait till Delivery etc, anyway i haerd there is used light set for sale and tomorrow im gona check and buy it

i've bought stuff from mirai in the past too... not for the subaru though but i remember seeing parts for the STi 7 too!

gunat it's in nugegoda... somewhere on the highlevel road if i remember right...

i'm looking for the 6" fogs the WRX's come with... i currently have two gaping holes...

i've bought stuff from mirai in the past too... not for the subaru though but i remember seeing parts for the STi 7 too!

gunat it's in nugegoda... somewhere on the highlevel road if i remember right...

i'm looking for the 6" fogs the WRX's come with... i currently have two gaping holes...

sorry machan no luck with the lights yet :(

@Gihan - :lol: transplanted eh!

If Any Lucky Gentlemen find these things pls let me know, Subaru Red and White Tail Lights, WRX Front Bumper Signal Lights,

I have bought stuff off thses guys, pretty good they are, let me call up and find out if they do international delivery. don't mind bringing the odd bit or two when i come down to SL in june but headlights and stuff are way too big to carry, get my drift?

http://www.revolution.eu.com/erol.html#28336X0

http://www.scoobyparts.com/acatalog/Late_C...998_-_2000.html

http://www.scoobybits.co.uk/shop.htm

these guys i havnt dealt with

http://www.japperformanceparts.co.uk/part_...u&Category=

I have bought stuff off thses guys, pretty good they are, let me call up and find out if they do international delivery. don't mind bringing the odd bit or two when i come down to SL in june but headlights and stuff are way too big to carry, get my drift?

http://www.revolution.eu.com/erol.html#28336X0

http://www.scoobyparts.com/acatalog/Late_C...998_-_2000.html

http://www.scoobybits.co.uk/shop.htm

these guys i havnt dealt with

http://www.japperformanceparts.co.uk/part_...u&Category=

[/quote

machang i have bought parts from the above 4 websites and ive ordered alot of parts from japperformance as well, there service is excellent and if you need any used but good condition items they are really good and priced competitively as well.