• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Link Between Value And Colour?

Sparky

Car's going to be painted end next week. Still haven't decided on a colour. Was thinking of a pearl white, but a friend of mine insists that black is the way to go because it will increase the value of the car. Another friend says that black would make it very hot, which I'm trying to avoid because it goes against my whole "comfort" theme.

So, does the colour have an impact on the value? If so, how much?

Cons:

Dark colours tend to absorb more heat than lighter ones. Also dark colours can be difficult to maintain. Scratches, dents, bad body work (body waves) can all be visible compared to lighter colours. The more you have to keep the car clean (wash, wash).

Pros:

A clean car looks niiiice and sexy. Also would increase the vehicles value (if the colour suits the vehicle).

Just my two cents.

:)

Well, I've done some checking and black and white both look very good on this car. The black is slightly sexier IMO.

I would rather have the white because of the comfort and safety aspect, but it makes the car is a little too eye-catching... which is not something that appeals to me. I also might be selling this car sometime next year so I need to think about keeping the value up.

It's an annoying dilemma. :rolleyes:

in SL black is harder to maintain than the lighter colours and the all the dirt and scraches would be visble very clearly..

so my suggestion is go for some other colour other than black.but if you have enough time to maintain the paint work

then black would be the best colour to have on a car provided that it goes well with the model. And i agree with MAS on the vlaue aspect

Edited by GearHead

Car's going to be painted end next week. Still haven't decided on a colour. Was thinking of a pearl white, but a friend of mine insists that black is the way to go because it will increase the value of the car. Another friend says that black would make it very hot, which I'm trying to avoid because it goes against my whole "comfort" theme.

Hey Sparky!

What is the car you own? Preference of Colours change from car model to car model. i.e Allion in Black, Wine Red selling for a few 100k more over the Whites and Silvers (mostly fleet cars in Japan) which are a bit more common.

Buyers of 2nd hand cars would value the original colour or paint for that matter being on the car. On average, there is a tendency towards darker colours and metallics over white or other lighter colours.

The pearls and metallics are harder to touch up. Darker Colours show dust and scratches more while the Whites and Lights tend to show the dirt on the car.

Good Luck with the paint job.

Paint the car the color indicated on the book -if your looking at selling your car as a standard one while expecting the standard market price for a car of that age and condition. If you're planning on selling the car as some sooped up thing- you could think different imo :)

This is a fact I've heard.

In most newly designed cars the manufacturers are really cautious on the perfectly smooth body lines of a dark colured(black) car. It's because if looked upon carefully on a black car one can identify weather these are flawless lines or not. :ninja:

Maybe it's the reason for the value being high. So if your car has undegone some damages or patches and the local guys dealt with it these areas may show up after applying black paint!! :blink:

Pilawoos, the car is currently red... but I've just replaced my engine (crack in the cylinder block) so I will need to change the registration before I sell anyway. I believe this also means I can get a new number, is that true?

Mihirana, the car doesn't have any obvious damage or warping, except on the bonnet which I've been assured can be fixed good as new. I've seen his tinkering work before and I'm inclined to believe him. Most of the "damage" on this car is due to a previous botched up paint job: single coat without an undercoat with some of it going on in wet conditions. I'm stripping the car down completely and whatever colour goes on gets an undercoat and a clear topcoat as well.

By the way... does anyone know a good tuner for Mazda EFI engines from the late 80s? I'm coming up on 1,000kms since the new engine so I think it's time I got it properly tuned.

Edited by Sparky

Pilawoos, the car is currently red... but I've just replaced my engine (crack in the cylinder block) so I will need to change the registration before I sell anyway. I believe this also means I can get a new number, is that true?

Nope dont think you get a new number. By the way dont think its worth the hassle to alter the book for anything- engine or paint. If the car is late 80's it will just fetch a price based on the overall condtion. sp go on and paint it.. Actually a new engine block may increase its value

Hi Mate,

What I have observed is dark colors has good market value. Last few weeks I went some car sales and looked to buy a car. all blaks are expensive than light colors. but I don't know used cars.... :unsure:

I agreed with all. little difficult to maintain dark colors. :jumping-smiley-013:

But if can maintain properly I think dark color is the best option. but It depend on your tast. My tast is dark. I prefer dark metalik colors.

After waxing and polishing no colors can beet with dark :violent-smiley-099:

Mihirana, the car doesn't have any obvious damage or warping, except on the bonnet which I've been assured can be fixed good as new. I've seen his tinkering work before and I'm inclined to believe him. Most of the "damage" on this car is due to a previous botched up paint job: single coat without an undercoat with some of it going on in wet conditions. I'm stripping the car down completely and whatever colour goes on gets an undercoat and a clear topcoat as well.

By the way... does anyone know a good tuner for Mazda EFI engines from the late 80s? I'm coming up on 1,000kms since the new engine so I think it's time I got it properly tuned.

Like Pila said stick to a colour that the manufacturer also uses.. it preserves the original look, this a higher marget value.. i've always thought that a vine-red or a Coca Cola red (no such real colour.. i'm talking abt the colour Coke has when you look through it) looks nice on msot cars...

And no, you dont get a new number. You just have to inform the RMV get it weighed and the engine number is changed in the book.. thats it...

Btw, If you dont mind, i'm also looking for someone to do some tinkering and painting on my car.. Can i have your guys contact info.. thanks.. where exactly is he? appriciate the help!

Btw, If you dont mind, i'm also looking for someone to do some tinkering and painting on my car.. Can i have your guys contact info.. thanks.. where exactly is he? appriciate the help!

Me too looking for a GOOD painter. :) I too gotta get a full paint done. Same colour (blue metallic).

Sparky, since you know his work is good, appreciate a contact number. Thanks.

Milindu, sorry... didn't see your post. :rolleyes:

I own a Mazda RX-7 FC with a 13B-REW engine swap. Hehe, just kidding. I wish. :P

I own an Astina from '89. Like I said before it's currently red but that's a pretty common colour for this car. Blue and grey looks too old fashioned on this car. Bright orange looks surprisingly good, though I don't think I could live with an orange car. :blink:

This is roughly how the car looks now:

tinand9.th.jpg

This is white:

59819015wa7.th.jpg

And this is black:

bumperfitted260305compqy4.th.jpg

I'm trying to stay away from metallic colours which I don't think work too well with this car unless you're doing a lot more to it. So, what do you guys think?

Oh, and PM me if you want my mechanic's name? I'd suggest that you wait till after my car's done if you want my proper opinion on his paintwork. I've seen his work before, but not on this scale.

Oh, and PM me if you want my mechanic's name? I'd suggest that you wait till after my car's done if you want my proper opinion on his paintwork. I've seen his work before, but not on this scale.

Hey Sparky,

Would you mind pls emailing me the contact of your mechanic, me too planning on a restoration soon & need the opinion / costing of another good dude than the one I've already found. Pls email me at '[email protected]' - OR you can simply shar the info on the forum like we all do B)

Cheers

Hey Sparky,

Would you mind pls emailing me the contact of your mechanic, me too planning on a restoration soon & need the opinion / costing of another good dude than the one I've already found. Pls email me at '[email protected]' - OR you can simply shar the info on the forum like we all do B)

Cheers

yeah sparky, please share in the forum...

the red suits that car well and i think you should stick to it... if you're feeling a little adventurous go for the black but i support all the above comments that black is hell to maintain... but it's sooo worth it :D

tell me about it, and in the hot sun the car becomes an oven !!

Okay. I've made my decision... I going with whi black. Told my mechanic this morning, which means he's bought the paint by now, which means it's too late to change my mind. He tells me he'll be doing five(!) coats of paint. One undercoat, one black with will be cut and then another black and then two coats of clear. This could get interesting.

I blame Dan.

Edited by Sparky