• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

First Few Kms

Mihirana

Question

14 answers to this question

well, I'm not sure if it's different for newer models, but the rule of thumb used to be not to rev hard (above 3500) untill the engine is seasoned, which generally takes bout 2000 - 3000 km...

oh, and congrats on your purchase bro.

Edited by Arc Angel

We've just obtained the civic T/T 1.8. It has under 50km done. Are there any precautions or any advice that you can offer us when driving through the first few 100 kilometers??

I'm not sure what a T/T is?

Well there are 3 schools of thought that go on this:

1. The toyota theory which is usually "just drive the damm thing" at least that's what toyota told my dad.

2. The traditional theory which is don't rev above 2000 - 3000 rpm

3. A new more interesting theory which I read a while back at a web site which was run by an automotive engineer. This guy said that basically for the first 25miles you should rev the engine properly so the piston rings and everything properly adjust themselves. Guy had done demonstrations with brand new engines, to prove his theory and the summary was that if you DON'T rev up the engine properly for the first few miles it leads to long term damage.

Very interesting stuff and he had tons of scientific data, graphs, disassembled engines etc to prove his point.

Wonder what other autolanka folk have to say on this..

got a nissan N16 owners manual and it says not to go beyond 4000rmp within the first 1600km.and it also states that you should avoid full throttle acceleration in any gear..the best thing would be to refer the owners manual and follow the instructions given there...

1. The toyota theory which is usually "just drive the damm thing" at least that's what toyota told my dad.

3. A new more interesting theory which I read a while back at a web site which was run by an automotive engineer. This guy said that basically for the first 25miles you should rev the engine properly so the piston rings and everything properly adjust themselves. Guy had done demonstrations with brand new engines, to prove his theory and the summary was that if you DON'T rev up the engine properly for the first few miles it leads to long term damage.

Very interesting stuff and he had tons of scientific data, graphs, disassembled engines etc to prove his point.

I drove my Wife's 121 brand new off the showroom with only 7kms on the clock. next day we went to Galle and I pushed it all the way. Toyota said there is no such thing with new cars anymore that they can be pushed to the limit from get go. When we came back the clock still had less than 300Kms. She has clocked more than 14000 now and still runs like the first day. So just realx and enjoy the car. Of course don't rev unnecessarily while stationery. But normal driving is fine even if you are having a bit of 'fun'.

A friend of mine dumped a brand new engine to his defender. absolutely brand new. not even a single mile. We asked for some guidence from the land rover company as to how we should use the engines first few thousand miles. What they said was exactly the same. Use it as you would use your vehicle after 50k miles on your clock!

however as a gentle vehicle lover i would not thrash my motor at least until the first thousand miles.

I get the feeling the toyota guys have no idea about it. :unsure: Correct me if i'm wrong.......

Stafford motors lady also had a vague idea about the issue as I called just now. The manual didn't help guys!! couldn't find anything regarding the topic. (Maybe I need to have an eye chekup <_< )

By the way way does anyone know the technical stuff behind this so that we can just build a logic and think sensibly????

I get the feeling the toyota guys have no idea about it. :unsure: Correct me if i'm wrong.......

Stafford motors lady also had a vague idea about the issue as I called just now. The manual didn't help guys!! couldn't find anything regarding the topic. (Maybe I need to have an eye chekup <_< )

By the way way does anyone know the technical stuff behind this so that we can just build a logic and think sensibly????

The technical reason why you do not overly rev the engine when its very new is that the piston rings haven't quite bedded in to the bore as yet, and there is excessive friction until they wear down to an optimum level a state wear the friction between the piston rings and the bore is at its least while holding compression

So the reason why you do not rev it up too hard is due to excessive friction there is a chance the pistons might seize until they are fully bedded in

strange..i have a honda ES8 mnaual whichh i borrowed fron one of my friends.According to that you gotta play a little bit easy with the car during the first 1000KM(well nissan one says 1600km).these are the guide lines mentioned there in the owners manual..

1.Avid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration

2.Aviod hard braking.New brake pads need to be broken-in by moderate use for the first 300KM(200 miles)

3.Do not change oil until the recommended time or distance interval shown in the maintenance schedule.