• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Prices After The Budget..?

DarkangeL

the country has gone to the dogs, all prices gone up, corruption all over, roads, trains and infrastructure in a mess..hardships to ppl etc.

just to re-cap, can someone give some example of a few good things that RW did to make things better.?

he told santa to bring gifts for all the little children.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: knew it was something like that....

on a serious note, some examples of some sound economic principles the good governance RW followed during his tenure at the top?

well, for one, he practiced the economic theory which allowed people to drink milk... :alc:

look, guys, i'm out of this topic... If anybody actually knows the final impact on the prices of cars, please post (and I will applaud you)... till then...

Guys did a bit of calculating. it seems on vehicles (petrol cars) the new duty would be Rs. 35,000 per each CIF value of Rs. 1,000,000/= as per the budget speech. Only thing customs have done some changes in duty calculations which I'll get by tomorrow, and I'll post them after calculation is done.

Also when there's a war situation there's a tend to GDP grow higher coz all the spendings on war also counted as government expenditure and results in puffy GDP figure but the truth is there's nothing productive towards countries economic development.

(Sri Lanka Military expenditures - percent of GDP : Source: CIA World Factbook)

deyq4.jpg

Incidentally military expenditure, as a percentage of GDP, is highest in 2003!! Defense expenditure is unavoidable and as long as the country has an effective military plan it would be a good investment for the future.

Was it 20,000 ? however not all of them applied and obtained the permit. What a smart decision for a country with this economic level, and relying on foreign funds to import 20,000 brand new vehicles at one go duh

Situation would be more serious if the government reduce the tax and conditions for the import of used vehicles, which we some times used to blame for. Anyway I believe some people deserve this permits

all this talk ahout percentages and numbers reminded me of an episode of Penn & Teller's BullS**T.. yeah, its an actual program.. hehehe.. you can youtube it... anyway, there was this one episode on numbers, n it shows how a mathematician or a poll designer could get a completely unbiased person to give the exact answer he wants... i cant find the whole episode, but here's one clip i could locate you youTube

If you;ve got the time its worth watching these episodes on youtube.. there's quite a lot.

But honestly i personalyy dont trust most statistics the governemtn or most NGOs show... basically they only show what they want us to see...

There was a policy somewhere which said posts not related to the topic, or does not contribute to the topic in a constructive way, can be deleted by the mods without warnings. Since I can't be impartial on the politics meself, this policy is starting to seem very good to me. Final warning, drop the politics from here on in. I think everyone has had their say and I doubt anyone will change their minds over what is posted.

There was a policy somewhere which said posts not related to the topic, or does not contribute to the topic in a constructive way, can be deleted by the mods without warnings. Since I can't be impartial on the politics meself, this policy is starting to seem very good to me. Final warning, drop the politics from here on in. I think everyone has had their say and I doubt anyone will change their minds over what is posted.

Not meaning to argue with the moderator or the policy, the topic under discussion is the effect the recent budget has had on car prices or will have on car prices.

The budget is a statement by the government on how they plan to manage public money in the next fiscal year. Which is a political activity (politics being defined as the art and science of governing)

It is thus in my humble opinion improbable if not impossible to make any constructive comment on this post without making a statement which has political implications or dimensions.

I don't mean political implications. I mean political preferences and mud slinging. Do recognize it as a subject people have passionate opinions on, which is why I have let it run upto now. Besides you know its going OT when people posting start by saying things like "This is OT, but..." :)

What you say is fair enough Don. We will have to exercise judgment over what is going over the line into not contributing in a constructive way. But we also have to draw the line somewhere.

Guys did a bit of calculating. it seems on vehicles (petrol cars) the new duty would be Rs. 35,000 per each CIF value of Rs. 1,000,000/= as per the budget speech. Only thing customs have done some changes in duty calculations which I'll get by tomorrow, and I'll post them after calculation is done.

Thanks Gummybr. Awaiting your valuable feedback on the new calculations.

Thanks!! awaiting the the latest updates from you.

thx for the info bro.... :rolleyes:

Also when will the new taxes be effective? January 1st 2008?

Any update ?

• 2 weeks later...
are you saying that the increase is 275% of the CIF??? or with the tax hike the total duty amount has increased to 275%?

You calculate as, (say cif is rs. 1,000,000) - 1,000,000 x 275% = 2,750,000 will be the duty.

I'm yet to get the rest as we do not do small cars. Only above 2000cc. I'll get it once its available with mt clearing guy.

Edited by Gummybr