• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Remember Not To Use 95 Octane Petrol + Full Synthetic Engine Oil Same Time

Nilantha

GT am,

I suspected that the Oil companies and the importers are taking the SL public for a ride, this confirms it! Visit the oil Manufacturers Web sites,from UK etc. You will find almost the opposite, Change oil every 8 months! What rubbish is he selling, Fuel may not be up to much in SL still most good engines will burn almost all the fuel it's fed and the remins mostly exit through the exhaust pipe, So unless you have a very worn engine it's unlikely fuel will contaminate the oil in the sump to such an extent that it needs replacing after 8 months regardless of the distance travelled. Do some research!

Maithri

I agree with you. I also could not understand the relationship between the fuel and oil. It might true for 2stroke engines. But cannot understand how fuel going to contaminate with engine oil in the sump. :unsure:

GT am,

I suspected that the Oil companies and the importers are taking the SL public for a ride, this confirms it! Visit the oil Manufacturers Web sites,from UK etc. You will find almost the opposite, Change oil every 8 months! What rubbish is he selling, Fuel may not be up to much in SL still most good engines will burn almost all the fuel it's fed and the remins mostly exit through the exhaust pipe, So unless you have a very worn engine it's unlikely fuel will contaminate the oil in the sump to such an extent that it needs replacing after 8 months regardless of the distance travelled. Do some research!

Maithri

Why do research when its already been done :rolleyes: ? Your rash attitude could mislead many who read this forum. So I think we need a bit more responsibility when making accusations. If you were some sort of authority on this subject I could have taken you a bit more seriously. Are you? Our club has very eminent members who own and are extremely passionate about their machines. And so are not the kind of people who will invite anyone selling "Rubbish" as you state!

I'm afraid I'm quite appalled at your rash reply without much thinking . You state that in the UK they say the opposite. Well what is the opposite?

The "rubbish" he is selling is one of the most respected brands of lubricant that hails from guess where....the UK! It is the number 1 recomended lube for all the top UK car manufacturers. Aston, Rolls, Jag, LR etc and other Euro makers like BMW Porsche......need I go on? Most good engines are made to burn most good fuels. But we in SL have crap fuel. This has been proven over and over again, with car importers who have had their pricipals and local Unis analyse the loacal fuels. Are you aware that our fuels still contain lead!!??

Also you don't seem to have understood that I mentioned that the sludge problem was the specific to one suppliers synthetic product. You might want to speak to Toyota Lanka and Prestige Autobobiles to get confirmation on this. There have been scores of Toyota Vitz and BMWs that needed engine replacements. I have done my research mate!

You also need to think about research that is done locally. The conditions are completely different from the UK. Our journeys are full of stop starts. The bulk of the engine where happens in the first 7 mins from start. This is a universally known fact. Then there's the heat.

I'm no chemical engineer but any complex bonds are likely to break down over a period of time even when not stressed for long periods and the safe time frame might be 8 months. You probably aren't aware that this is exactly what happened to the Silver Lotus Turbo in SL which was using top quality synthetic? The engine was rebuilt by my mechanic that's why I know. This is why most knowledgable enthusiasts change the oil at first opportunity when they buy car that has ben sitting. The oil breaks down and you can feel it with your fingers if you have a lot of experience.

If you like you may leave your oil in longer with your UK research that states the opposite. And that's fine if you're living in the UK. But I will go by the research done in SL in our extreme conditions that have been done by this UK company ;) !

what proof have u got to tell us that fully synthetic oil breaks after 8 months? our company cars (mostly VWs and Audis) do about 18,000 - 20,000miles before an oil change. that is not within an year. sometimes even 2 years!! VW told us that there is absolutely no need to change oil until the "Service" light comes on. some of these cars do about 200,000 with only 10 - 12 oil changes. so u telling us that u've done more research than the VW guys?

There is no way in this world fully synthetic oil can break down in 8months if its NOT used!! The whole thing about synthetic oil is that it breaks down when it is used unlike mineral oil which tends to contaminate quite easily.

The older your engine gets you can go onto semi syn and then mineral oils

This is just ridiculus! I don't know who does these research! so u r telling me after 10 years time i should put mineral oil to my car because its old, even though the manufacturer recomends synthetic oil? :angry-smiley-048:

Before u bring the whole "Sri Lankan conditions" thing here I would like to ask if anyone here from SL uses a car with computer controlled service reminder built in? Please let us know what intervals do u get and what kind of driving do u do?

Where do I start with you man? The grouch of Autolanka ;) I sure hope not. You have a tendency of shooting off and are easily offended if someone disagrees with you. Not to mention your retorting taking everything personal and being extremely insulting on a public forum. So please try to be considerate this time.

I find your statements like "There is no way in this world fully synthetic oil can break down in 8months if its NOT used!! " quite questionable. What is your basis for this confidence?

I'm afraid we in fact ARE talking about SRI LANKA and its conditions. This is AutoLANKA remember!?

Sure your VW and Audi people say the right thing. You are in the UK right? You very well know that the quality, purity and octane ratings of the fuel that you get in the UK are a world away from what we get in your and my motherland!? And also I'm quite sure you know the difference in roads, traffic and average journeys between the two countries?????

The other ridiculous point that I made (according to you) about the possibility using semi syn and mineral oils for a) Cost reasons - Many folk may not be able to afford 6k for a can of fully syn. B) The older the engine gets the tolerences within get lesser and lesser. You can't prevent wear 100% whatever you use. And so the benefit that you get by using a synthetic oil is relatively lesser and comes to a negligible level.

However since you guys have shown so much enthusiasm I might try to get the reaserch in writing which have been accreditted by world bodies. But of course anyone is free to not believe all this. So while I have not done more research that VW guys I have had access to more research in SL than you for certain. Also for your info, the local VW and Audi importer just switched to this very brand who made this presentation. I have absolutely no connection with any lubricant supplier and that is why I refrained from mentioning names. But I just thought it was a nice thing to share with the rest of you car enthusiasts who love our cars and don't want to see what has happened to many others' cars to our babies.

Don't suppose you'd care to name the manufacturer?

Peri I'm a bit worried to get branded as a promoter of the rival product especially after the outcry by some that this is all a tall story :unsure: .

This company (whose product did the damage) is frantically working to modify their products but many in the industry are aware and have been switching. I'm sure a bit of independent research will give you the answer. Mind you the presenting company refused to tell us who it was either. But we made a few phone calls and found out.

Also the guys praised another competitor product as equally good as theirs' in most respects. All the more reason for me to take them seriously.

And to top it all I have been mostly using this (the presenters brand since my first car) and found it the best in the market even if it was more expensive. 'Mostly' because some service places slip in a competitor brand as they get big incentives even if they were instructed to put in my specific request. They'll cite non-availability etc. Oops have I promoted a brand :D ?

I agree with you. I also could not understand the relationship between the fuel and oil. It might true for 2stroke engines. But cannot understand how fuel going to contaminate with engine oil in the sump. :unsure:

Er....would you pls care to read the beginning of this post please. The whole thing is based on this relationship that you cannot understand. Please Iroshana you need to know how an engine works before agreeing or not mate.

How can anyone not realize that oil and fuel meet each other in an internal combustion automobile engine??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Without lubrication the piston would not go up and down. Ok it will probably for a few minutes and then sieze. Same goes for valves. Why put oil in the sump/crank case anyway? You might as well put coolant or even water :lol: which will cool the engine better :) !

Er....would you pls care to read the beginning of this post please. The whole thing is based on this relationship that you cannot understand. Please Iroshana you need to know how an engine works before agreeing or not mate.

How can anyone not realize that oil and fuel meet each other in an internal combustion automobile engine??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Without lubrication the piston would not go up and down. Ok it will probably for a few minutes and then sieze. Same goes for valves. Why put oil in the sump/crank case anyway? You might as well put coolant or even water :lol: which will cool the engine better :) !

GTAm

isn't there any more clues you can give about this "sludge generating brand" :blink:

How can anyone not realize that oil and fuel meet each other in an internal combustion automobile

I am not an expert on this...but i would really appreciate if you could spend few minutes and explain us how that really happens. This might be true in a wornout engine with worn piston rings, liners, etc where the piston rings are not able to stop the oil from getting into the combustion chamber, however this is highly unlikely in a b'new engine.

As far as i know, while the lubrication is doing its part lubricating all the moving parts in the engine, the fuel does its job in the combustion chamber. So if these two were to meet each other, then the heat that is generated in the combustion process would obviously burn some engine oil, just like in old wornout engine. If the oil is burnt, then this would cause the vehicle to produce some smoke( white/bluish smoke), someting which i have never seen in any b'new car. Further, this would also cause the oil level to significantly go down after several thousand miles...which is,again,highly unlikely in any b'new car...

However, if your comment was regarding a wornout engine, then i wouldnt have raised this question. Since you have made a general comment there in your post, i thought of getting this clarified....

Edited by GearHead

GTAm

isn't there any more clues you can give about this "sludge generating brand" :blink:

Hmmm I don't really like to but I guess I can give you a clue. It is the market leader in SL. But like I said they have begun fixing the problem according to the motor industry guys. But understandably as it cause so much damage they have switched brands and mainly to the guys who did this presentation.

Actually these guys did not mention anything about this problem. They were simply educating us about lube in general and theirs in particular which is cool. When it came to question time everyone asked about this thing.

Hmmm I don't really like to but I guess I can give you a clue. It is the market leader in SL. But like I said they have begun fixing the problem according to the motor industry guys. But understandably as it cause so much damage they have switched brands and mainly to the guys who did this presentation.

Actually these guys did not mention anything about this problem. They were simply educating us about lube in general and theirs in particular which is cool. When it came to question time everyone asked about this thing.

Hi GTAm, So lets all ask the question in a different way so that you are neither dissing one brand or promoting another.

What brand of oil do you use ? and what is the competitor which was praised in this presentation ?.

I'm sorry if i misunderstand you. I'm not an auto engineering expert. But according to my knowledge inside the engine, fuel and engine oil should not mix (I mean in considerable quantity). I thought piston rings are there for that purpose.

Again I'm sorry if I say anything wrong. Appreciate if anybody can explain.

Where do I start with you man? The grouch of Autolanka ;) I sure hope not. You have a tendency of shooting off and are easily offended if someone disagrees with you. Not to mention your retorting taking everything personal and being extremely insulting on a public forum. So please try to be considerate this time.

I find your statements like "There is no way in this world fully synthetic oil can break down in 8months if its NOT used!! " quite questionable. What is your basis for this confidence?

I'm afraid we in fact ARE talking about SRI LANKA and its conditions. This is AutoLANKA remember!?

Sure your VW and Audi people say the right thing. You are in the UK right? You very well know that the quality, purity and octane ratings of the fuel that you get in the UK are a world away from what we get in your and my motherland!? And also I'm quite sure you know the difference in roads, traffic and average journeys between the two countries?????

The other ridiculous point that I made (according to you) about the possibility using semi syn and mineral oils for a) Cost reasons - Many folk may not be able to afford 6k for a can of fully syn. B) The older the engine gets the tolerences within get lesser and lesser. You can't prevent wear 100% whatever you use. And so the benefit that you get by using a synthetic oil is relatively lesser and comes to a negligible level.

However since you guys have shown so much enthusiasm I might try to get the reaserch in writing which have been accreditted by world bodies. But of course anyone is free to not believe all this. So while I have not done more research that VW guys I have had access to more research in SL than you for certain. Also for your info, the local VW and Audi importer just switched to this very brand who made this presentation. I have absolutely no connection with any lubricant supplier and that is why I refrained from mentioning names. But I just thought it was a nice thing to share with the rest of you car enthusiasts who love our cars and don't want to see what has happened to many others' cars to our babies.

Ok i will try to be considerate if u try not to be obnoxious.

The reason I'm confident about synthetic oil is because I've learned enough about the molecular bonding of synthetic and ordinary mineral oil to know how they break.

And for ur information most of the earlier synthetic oils were either semi-synthetic or a mixture of two different synthetic oils with different viscosities mixed to get the required viscosity. When these oils break, they break into two different viscosities. one thick layer of oil which is known as 'formation of sludging' and a very thin layer of oil. Both equally useless for the engine. This problem was found few years back by the oil manufacturers and they have brought solutions to it. (They actually did proper research :D)

Ur knowledge of piston engines is quite astonishing:D Makes me wonder who does these research for u :D

For ur information each piston has 2 rings one is the piston ring and the other is the oil ring. Oil ring make sure that the chamber is free of oil at the time of ignition! Oil that is in the chamber are the ones that is trapped in between the hoaning marks of the cylinder liner. These are negligible amounts.

Unless the rings are worn out there can't be any significant mixing of petrol and oil.

Furthermore Low octane level won't affect the oil. And I would like to know what impurities are there in Sri Lankan petrol?

I know the conditions in Sri Lanka is different. Thats y asked if anyone has a car with computer controlled service reminder built in, because it takes all that u mentioned into consideration.

Hi GTAm, So lets all ask the question in a different way so that you are neither dissing one brand or promoting another.

What brand of oil do you use ? and what is the competitor which was praised in this presentation ?.

The Don you smart bugger :lol:

GTAm

I think this is the Cx brand :) remember somebody else sometime ago saying something similar but i dint buy it cos you know the scene with certain oil companies :lol:

Good thing is that i stopped the Cx brand and switched to Castrol :)

On the piston issue and the oil mixing with fuel thing...

IMHO .... I think fuel and the air mixtures before and after combustion gets a chance to mix with oil.. due to the high rpm of the motor and high speed piston movement a negligible amount in a single stroke of the piston gets multiplied by thousands of times...

The pistons can't and won't run against a metal surface without it being lubricated no matter how new the engine is...

BTW i'm no expert though i have messed around with mo bike engines a couple of time so i'll let more knowledgeable folks carry the torch forward :)

The Don you smart bugger :lol:

GTAm

I think this is the Cx brand :) remember somebody else sometime ago saying something similar but i dint buy it cos you know the scene with certain oil companies :lol:

Good thing is that i stopped the Cx brand and switched to Castrol :)

On the piston issue and the oil mixing with fuel thing...

IMHO .... I think fuel and the air mixtures before and after combustion gets a chance to mix with oil.. due to the high rpm of the motor and high speed piston movement a negligible amount in a single stroke of the piston gets multiplied by thousands of times...

The pistons can't and won't run against a metal surface without it being lubricated no matter how new the engine is...

BTW i'm no expert though i have messed around with mo bike engines a couple of time so i'll let more knowledgeable folks carry the torch forward :)

Machan what u said is correct. thats the reason u got piston rings. when u make the rings from a lower grade material than the liners u get the rings to wear out faster. thats the reason u have to put new piston rings every now and again. Pistons don't touch the liners but the rings do. oil rings actually scrape the oil from the liners thats y i said only oil left on the liner surface are the ones trapped in between hoaning lines.

When i said negligible amounts i mean something like 1cc (cubic centimeter) of oil every hour or even less. And these oil will burn away rather than mixing with oil again.

Machan what u said is correct. thats the reason u got piston rings. when u make the rings from a lower grade material than the liners u get the rings to wear out faster. thats the reason u have to put new piston rings every now and again. Pistons don't touch the liners but the rings do. oil rings actually scrape the oil from the liners thats y i said only oil left on the liner surface are the ones trapped in between hoaning lines.

When i said negligible amounts i mean something like 1cc (cubic centimeter) of oil every hour or even less. And these oil will burn away rather than mixing with oil again.

You cant beleive something coming from a lubricant manufacturer.. obviously they wont say whats wrong with thier product, and they're quite likely to market the oil (synthetic or miniral), whichever brings more profits... afterall they ARE doing a business n not some wellfare project.....

I'd say some university's or some automotive institute's research statements will be much less biased and maybe more accurate too...

You cant beleive something coming from a lubricant manufacturer.. obviously they wont say whats wrong with thier product, and they're quite likely to market the oil (synthetic or miniral), whichever brings more profits... afterall they ARE doing a business n not some wellfare project.....

I'd say some university's or some automotive institute's research statements will be much less biased and maybe more accurate too...

fair point :)

but sadly i think the only people who are interested enough and have the monetary power to deal with the high tech R&D facilities are the oil companies :(

Waiting to hear from GTAm... you learn something everyday and it's good to keep room for change imho :) After all the man knows his stuff...

Guys,

no need to get heated, I was merely suggesting that you guys do some research to find out the facts. In most 4 stroke engines the oil will not mix with the fuel and remain in the sump-where it comes in to contact-in the combustion chamber the combustion will burn nearly 99% and remains get coated as carbon on the piston crown and the valves. I think the very hot climate in SL will mean engines getting to full operating temp sooner than in the cold climates and result in better combustion sooner rather than later-so less pollution and better economy from the fuel. So the chances of a dirty combustion chamber will be reduced even if the fuel was not as pure as in the west. Here I would suggest to a very low milage motorist that they change the oil more regularly than to one who drives 500 miles a day! Purely due to the fact that the engine runs at it's poorest when starting from cold. I used to work for an AUDI & VW dealer where I came into contact with the long service intervals mentioned on this thread, The Long Life Synthetic SLX2 oil used in these cars were made by Castrol. The car's computer used to measure the conditions and the driving style of the user and would bring the service indicator on on an appropriate basis, the Drivers handbook suggested allowing the engine to reach it's full working temp, before harsh or full throttle accleration etc. to achieve the full long service intervals of 20,000 miles in petrol and the 30,000 miles on diesels. Drive it like a nutter and you got as little as 9000 miles on petrols before the light came on. Now this may only apply in Europe but the difference cant be so massive compared to SL.

If not using the long life oil we used to use Castrol Magnatec-a semi synthetic to get 10,000 miles between services. The engines usually last well in excess of 150,000 miles without any major repairs- I use a Golf GTI with 180000 miles and it has always used Semi Synthetic oil changed at 10,000 miles or yearly intervals and still runs as smooth as silk and uses less than 1 liter of oil between service intervals, and before you ask it does get driven fast!

Maithri.

You're a real Sherlock Holmes :D !!

Well I'm not dissing them coz it could be an accident and I doubt any company will do this on purpose. And now they are desperately trying to fix it. Maybe they've already done.

Clue - read Ripper's post ;)

Waiting to hear from GTAm... you learn something everyday and it's good to keep room for change imho :) After all the man knows his stuff...

Our club is getting a doc done. Any kind of research will not be valid unless it's accreditted or monitered by an independent governing body. There's are quite a few such governing bodies in the world. So no manufacturer can issue their research findings without such approval. Well they can but no one needs to take them seriously.

I'm sure you are very aware about such bodies in the Advertising arena as well who are very active in developed markets.

I'm sorry if i misunderstand you. I'm not an auto engineering expert. But according to my knowledge inside the engine, fuel and engine oil should not mix (I mean in considerable quantity). I thought piston rings are there for that purpose.

Again I'm sorry if I say anything wrong. Appreciate if anybody can explain.

No worries mate. We are all students from the cradle to the grave. Cars are complex machines and we all learn something new each day. And it's a good thing to share each ones thoughts so that we gain useful knowledge.

You're right it does not mix in considerable quantities but it does make contact none the less. That's why a lubricant cannot be something that will douse the spark/flame.

But as Ripper as explained very well this brief/minute contact has to be multiplied by thousands of revolutions. When an engine wears over a period of time the tolerences get wider and more and more oil comes into the combustion chamber. That's when compression gets less and oil consumption increases.

You will read some new car owners manuals that the first so many 1000s of kms will require regular topping up etc. Think about it....the oil has to go somewhere. Even to burn it obviously has to meet a flame!

Rotary engined cars consume even more. That's why RX8 owners have check the oil very regularly. I remember CAR mag's long term reports with the RX8. They said it was like running an old classic. But they did not mind :)

No worries mate. We are all students from the cradle to the grave. Cars are complex machines and we all learn something new each day. And it's a good thing to share each ones thoughts so that we gain useful knowledge.

You're right it does not mix in considerable quantities but it does make contact none the less. That's why a lubricant cannot be something that will douse the spark/flame.

But as Ripper as explained very well this brief/minute contact has to be multiplied by thousands of revolutions. When an engine wears over a period of time the tolerences get wider and more and more oil comes into the combustion chamber. That's when compression gets less and oil consumption increases.

You will read some new car owners manuals that the first so many 1000s of kms will require regular topping up etc. Think about it....the oil has to go somewhere. Even to burn it obviously has to meet a flame!

Rotary engined cars consume even more. That's why RX8 owners have check the oil very regularly. I remember CAR mag's long term reports with the RX8. They said it was like running an old classic. But they did not mind :)

Understood mate. Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking in a different way. I'm working in marine field and have seen many types of marine engines. Those are very huge engines which are burning 5tons diesel per day. I thought if fuel coming in to the oil sump in a considerable quantity in a tiny car engine comparing to a ships engine, can u imagine what could happen in a ship engine?

Anyway I agree with u it could happen in a very small quantity. I thought its negligible. :rolleyes:

And for ur information most of the earlier synthetic oils were either semi-synthetic or a mixture of two different synthetic oils with different viscosities mixed to get the required viscosity. When these oils break, they break into two different viscosities. one thick layer of oil which is known as 'formation of sludging' and a very thin layer of oil. Both equally useless for the engine. This problem was found few years back by the oil manufacturers and they have brought solutions to it. (They actually did proper research :D)

Ur knowledge of piston engines is quite astonishing:D Makes me wonder who does these research for u :D

For ur information each piston has 2 rings one is the piston ring and the other is the oil ring. Oil ring make sure that the chamber is free of oil at the time of ignition! Oil that is in the chamber are the ones that is trapped in between the hoaning marks of the cylinder liner. These are negligible amounts.

Unless the rings are worn out there can't be any significant mixing of petrol and oil.

Furthermore Low octane level won't affect the oil. And I would like to know what impurities are there in Sri Lankan petrol?

I know the conditions in Sri Lanka is different. Thats y asked if anyone has a car with computer controlled service reminder built in, because it takes all that u mentioned into consideration.

Earlier synthetic oils!!?? :blink: We are talking about the here and now mate. The probelms that many car owners faced in SL was very recent. And there have been many of them. That's why this topic is very relevant.

I'm glad that I am able to astonish you :lol: I didn't think I was that competent. The only thing you need to bare in mind is that most of us are wealthy like maybe you and your UK bretheren to afford brand new cars every 100,000kms. Most of us myself included buy mostly used cars. And once again I would like to remind you that we are talking about Sri Lanka. Furthermore however negligible the contact between fuel and oil, is there is contact none the less which can and in this Sri Lankan case has given rise to a chemical reaction that has been harmful to the many many engines over here. I mean where in the world do you hear relatively new Toyota engines going bust at this rate???

With your knowledge on chemical bonding and internal combustion, I think you will do Sri Lankan motorists a great service if you can come here are do some independent research - purely since you have dismissed the research carried out here thus far. And I'm not being sarcastic here. Seriously give it a thought!

Perhaps many manufacturers underestimate (or more likely really don't consider) the conditions in SL even if many cars are tested in Death Valley and the Aussie outback I guess Sri Lanka has it own uniqueness.

Yes the octane level will not affect the oil. I made that point to make it aware that we are being cheated left right and centre every time we fill our tanks. Impurities - well I really do not know what exactly they are. But you can contact Prestige Automobiles, Dimos and I'm sure many other importers who have test reports from their pricipals' labs if you are very interested in knowing.

Yeah yeah mate many many new cars come with computers which indicate servicing requirements. I suppose the General Manager of BMW SL trusted the computer on his brand new X3 a bit too much and let it go bust!!!??? ;)

Understood mate. Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking in a different way. I'm working in marine field and have seen many types of marine engines. Those are very huge engines which are burning 5tons diesel per day. I thought if fuel coming in to the oil sump in a considerable quantity in a tiny car engine comparing to a ships engine, can u imagine what could happen in a ship engine?

Anyway I agree with u it could happen in a very small quantity. I thought its negligible. :rolleyes:

Hey interesting job man. What rpm do those massive monsters turn around at?

Hey interesting job man. What rpm do those massive monsters turn around at?

Most engines are below 500rpm. Some engines has even less than 100rpm. In some engines, easily more than 10 people could stay inside the the chamber. :rolleyes: