• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Remember Not To Use 95 Octane Petrol + Full Synthetic Engine Oil Same Time

Nilantha

just my 2 cents...i frankly dont agree with this whole sri lankan conditions thingy...other countries are hot, dusty, not all US roads (non highways) are smooth. (esp soon after winter)

if anything it could be arributed the sri lankan driving styles..i've seen a lot of 1300, 1000 cc cars being pushed to their extreme..(in heavy traffic), our guys simply love to reach 60kmph or so in 100 meters only to do a hard brake within the nxt 5m. cutting across, flashing headlights, hard brake, heavy accelarations, hard brake etc etc. no wonder the engines get ruined pretty fast....

agreed about our driving styles, but that also has something to do with the appalling state of our roads. people are in a hurry to get about and our roads just don't allow that. you get horrible traffic in places like thailand which is even worse than colombo but atleast they have a few highways that will allow you to open out your engine a little bit. my friends in dubai tell me that filters are constantly getting clogged with sand particles but they have nice carpeted roads. some country roads in europe & USA are terrible and they have to deal with winter too. but in sl we have to deal with a combination of lots of these factors which does place a lot of stress on the engine.

i'm by no means an expert on this topic but keeping all this in mind, you can never change your engine oil often enough. better to be safe than sorry. I'd rather do this than go through the hassle of engine repairs. i've always stuck to semi-synthetic and 95 octane, and change oil every 5000kms or 4-5 months, whatever comes first. works for me!

agreed about our driving styles, but that also has something to do with the appalling state of our roads. people are in a hurry to get about and our roads just don't allow that. you get horrible traffic in places like thailand which is even worse than colombo but atleast they have a few highways that will allow you to open out your engine a little bit. my friends in dubai tell me that filters are constantly getting clogged with sand particles but they have nice carpeted roads. some country roads in europe & USA are terrible and they have to deal with winter too. but in sl we have to deal with a combination of lots of these factors which does place a lot of stress on the engine.

i'm by no means an expert on this topic but keeping all this in mind, you can never change your engine oil often enough. better to be safe than sorry. I'd rather do this than go through the hassle of engine repairs. i've always stuck to semi-synthetic and 95 octane, and change oil every 5000kms or 4-5 months, whatever comes first. works for me!

I would not disagree with your argument completely Leonardo but there is another way to look at this issue.

Lets say 5000KM is is roughly equivalent to 3000 miles (sorry its difficult to think in KM when everything around me at the moment is in miles).

In most modern cars manufacturer recommended service intervals are usually 10 000 miles plus or every year whichever comes first.

Thanks to the high price of engine oil lets say an oil change with good quality oil costs 5000/=

And lets also say say that (and I don't aggree with this argument completely but lets say I do for the moment) that if you change engine oil every 3000 miles your engine will last 180 000 miles and if you change engine oil every 10 000 miles your engine will last 120 000 miles. (please note these are just figures I am using off the top of my head, and not ones I've obtained using a proper scientific experiment but just reflecting on everything I've heard and had experience with up to now)

So 180 000 miles will cost you (60 x 5000) 300 000 SLR with regular oil changes and 120 000 miles will cost you (5000 x 12) 60 000 SLR. So the extra 60 000 miles will cost you 240 000 Rupees.

Now the above are figures I've pulled out of my head and might be way off the mark. And I only used it to illustrate the point I am trying to make which is does it make financial sense to change oil so regularly when even if you take into consideration the cost of an engine rebuild it might still be cheaper to opt for the longer service intervals.

Even the older Evo's had 3000 mile service intervals (the new one has a 10 000 mile service interval)

incidentally we all keep referring to atmospheric heat being an important issue. But I suddenly realise this probably cannot be that major factor because the engine heat is regulated by the cooling system. the only difference being a car in a hotter climate would reach its ideal operating temperature much faster than in a colder climate, and thus the warm weather actually helps the engine !.

I hope people take what I say in the spirit it is being said in. I have no intention of offending anyone or disputing facts presented by anyone which I'm sure they have done with the very best of intentions based upon the best information available to them. I myself am not an expert, but am curious like everybody else and eager to learn a thing or two :)

And I think this dialog has helped a lot of people including myself to understand a lot of things and I think we can all act like the adults we are and show some mutual respect even at the face of opposing views :)

Ado you two going OT is like some commercial break from the action!!! shhh! lol :D

he he... commercial breaks are good to lubricate and chill dwon some heated exchanges don't you think :P

GTAm could you please explain where we can obtain these oils you mentioned to flush out an engine safely and do you know of any places which uses machinery to do this ?. I once used Abro engine oil treatment, and I wasn't quite sure whether it was a good idea and certainly did not solve the problem in my car !.

Don it is not a special oil that is used for flushing. They use extra of the oil that is meant to go into your crank case, but at a higher temp. While the engine is off the oil is pumped in and taken out by a machine again and a again. Pit stop has such a machine I'm told but I'm sure there'll be other places too.

What you can also do is make a very quick oil change in order to clean the engine as the modern synthetics are said to have many cleaning agents. This is what I did but I'm sure the former is more cost effective.

I once used Abro engine oil treatment, and I wasn't quite sure whether it was a good idea and certainly did not solve the problem in my car !.

Same here I too previously used various flushing oils when ever I bought a new used car and wanted to switch to fully synthetic. But now I think I will stay away from the flushing oils since flushing with the oil that one intendeds to use as a lube seems more sensible.

The guys who did the research said that many of the flushing oils on the market were kerosene dressed up.

I do not personally thing adequate amount of oil gets in the combustion chamber and back for the combustion process to directly affect the chemical composition of oil. But I have head that when burning higher octane petrol the engine reaches higher operating temperatures and this obviously might affect an inferior quality oil (though in theory the tolerances of the oil should be much higher than the maximum operating temperature of the engine)

I just checked with some of my learned freinds....., they also suggest that as our petrol is in fact very impure that the oils might not get burned and will end up as carbon deposits that could absorb and have unburnt oil itself.

They also say that at the time of starting fuel is sqirted into the chamber and before the spark some fuel can drip down along the cylinder/piston walls into the oil.

And there needs to be even a thin film of oil between ring and cylinder wall (the prime purpose of a lubricant) or else metal to metal contact will mean fast siezure. That is another reason why it has been calculated that the bulk of wastage happens in the first 7 minutes from engine start.

The new tech oils that contain additives and/or additives themselves are designed to have a thin film even when cold.

I guess the key observations here are, cars which get regular use have far less problems and can achieve much higher mileages without issue (for example taxis) and cars which stand for long periods of time generally have more problems.

Very true! There are many mechanics who'll stand on their heads and confirm this.

he he... commercial breaks are good to lubricate and chill dwon some heated exchanges don't you think :P

Great idea Ripper! Now I see why you're in advertising :D What better than a ultra low rpm maga torque motor that hauls a multi ton ship silently through water? The absolute contrast to this freaky 9000rpm engine blasting that even the super synthetic oils may not withstand :D

Great idea Ripper! Now I see why you're in advertising :D What better than a ultra low rpm maga torque motor that hauls a multi ton ship silently through water? The absolute contrast to this freaky 9000rpm engine blasting that even the super synthetic oils may not withstand :D

he he...actually it's the dress code, the boozing and chicks :)

On ships...those bloody things move very fast when they need to machang...i've seen them lil closeup offshore while fishing and only when you're few hundred yards away only you know how fast these things can move :)

he he...actually it's the dress code, the boozing and chicks :)

On ships...those bloody things move very fast when they need to machang...i've seen them lil closeup offshore while fishing and only when you're few hundred yards away only you know how fast these things can move :)

mm... most of container ships are moving around 20 - 23 knots. (1 knot = 1.8 kmph). Thats not a much speed when we think about our cars. But in marine field, 20knots is a pretty good speed. I had an experience with 55knot speed boat in Maldives. Actually I didn't believe the GPS reading. Our navy dvora also running under 60knots. That boat had four 250hp out board engines. I think ripper could understand the power provide by 4 x 250hp OBMs.

mm... most of container ships are moving around 20 - 23 knots. (1 knot = 1.8 kmph). Thats not a much speed when we think about our cars. But in marine field, 20knots is a pretty good speed. I had an experience with 55knot speed boat in Maldives. Actually I didn't believe the GPS reading. Our navy dvora also running under 60knots. That boat had four 250hp out board engines. I think ripper could understand the power provide by 4 x 250hp OBMs.

he he... what's crazy is that the sheer size of a big azz ship once you get close in deep seas in complete isolation and then too the it moving...and moving fast... when you're there and see this happen it looks much faster than 2) odd knots :lol:

The dvoras are about 45knots with UFAC's topping upto 53knots or so... And they are a beautiful sight to see :) Especially when they are not hunting you down :lol:

4x250hp obm's on smaller planing hull would be deadly machang :)

he he... what's crazy is that the sheer size of a big azz ship once you get close in deep seas in complete isolation and then too the it moving...and moving fast... when you're there and see this happen it looks much faster than 2) odd knots :lol:

The dvoras are about 45knots with UFAC's topping upto 53knots or so... And they are a beautiful sight to see :) Especially when they are not hunting you down :lol:

4x250hp obm's on smaller planing hull would be deadly machang :)

I guess there must be another thing that hits your mind straight away when you see something like that coming at you or passing close by

No brakes No Brakes !!!

I guess there must be another thing that hits your mind straight away when you see something like that coming at you or passing close by

No brakes No Brakes !!!

what brakes machang :) you hit one of those things and you can kiss your tail light good bye and go down in style :lol:

btw...the only brakes these have is reversing their props or thrusters or what ever you call em...or else change course :)

since nowadays most are on autopilot in open seas... that's also no good :)

Guys,

One careful lady owner, very low milage etc. etc. are words used by a lot of car dealers in their adverts still in the uk. When we see one like this we start worrying, modern engines made from many different materials using chemically engineered oils and and processes involving various chemical interactions also cause all sorts of oxidisation (corrosion) to start. The manufacturers advice special coolants (anti freeze) changed every 2 years even if it's anti freezing properties are not reduced, and oils changed Dare I say it, at least once every 2 years even on long service oils, to prevent undue wear as a result of chemical activity. All these chemicals and metals are optimised to work at normal operating temperatures-so imagine a car that is driven for a couple of miles every week to collect your provisions from a shop!

The brakes will be pitted and a horror story, the engine will have excessive wear in the bores as a rich fuel to air ratio is used on cold start and complete combustion is not yet happening, so the lubricant molecules on the cylinder walls are washed and dialuted with un burnt fueletc.etc.

Always look for a normally used well maintained car, much better than an abused car as above or an abused car driven by an idiot constantly thrashing it and not maintaining it properly!

Maithri

what brakes machang :) you hit one of those things and you can kiss your tail light good bye and go down in style :lol:

btw...the only brakes these have is reversing their props or thrusters or what ever you call em...or else change course :)

since nowadays most are on autopilot in open seas... that's also no good :)

Yeah. But there is a regulation to keep a watchman in the bridge fulltime. However one of our tug had a collision with a big container ship few years ago. Nobody were at bridge in the container ship and they didn't know even they collided with a tug. Fortunately our tug managed to return to Colombo and the other ship also came to harbour. We made a complain to arrest the ship and only after analyzing paint marks on the ships hull they realized something happened in the night. :) However we had to wait until the laboratory certificate (Paint analysis report) comes to claim for the accident.

Be carefull! a bigger ship will never feel a collision with just a fighing boat. Not like car accidents :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

talking about fuel, i filled up my car with shell v-power high octaine petrol (same used in the Formula 1 Ferrari's), man what a difference. The biggest difference i could notice was the revs were holding well, so changing up is smoother. Oh and they were giving away a free ferrari model car for every fill over 30 litres. I got the 2005 F1 car ;) pretty good, they had the f50 f430 and the enzo to name a few. Anyone with shell v-power experience??

• 3 weeks later...
talking about fuel, i filled up my car with shell v-power high octaine petrol (same used in the Formula 1 Ferrari's), man what a difference. The biggest difference i could notice was the revs were holding well, so changing up is smoother. Oh and they were giving away a free ferrari model car for every fill over 30 litres. I got the 2005 F1 car ;) pretty good, they had the f50 f430 and the enzo to name a few. Anyone with shell v-power experience??

where do u get it and how much will it cost?

is it ok for all engines?

cus we dnt have those kind of fuel in Sri lanka, we mix Toluene with fuel, For 50L of 92 Octane petrol if u add 3L of Toluene it increse the octane to 114, ( This is the format we runing and some tuners may runing different formats ) and we pump 95 octane cus we know our 95 dnt have 95 Octane :lol:

I was quite surprised to see a pump with the label "90 Octane - Premium" in the shed in Nuwara Eliya town. When I inquired they said that it contained some additive. This was the first time I've ever seen this? A liter was priced at 129/-! I was wondering if it was actually legal for the guy to do that!?

I was quite surprised to see a pump with the label "90 Octane - Premium" in the shed in Nuwara Eliya town. When I inquired they said that it contained some additive. This was the first time I've ever seen this? A liter was priced at 129/-! I was wondering if it was actually legal for the guy to do that!?

i think IOC has got "branded" fuel in india. i've seen commercials marketing one of their products called "speed" or something :lol:

these bloody marketers find novel ways to hit at our pockets :lol:

If this shed was an IOC one...maybe they are selling these branded gas here too :unsure:

Its like this- most car's a ecu's are set to adapt to the fuel they are given- in some cases they have a 'safe mode' that enables them to run lower octane fuel- where fuel mixtures & maps are done conservatively. But again this is somewhat of 'learning process' for the ecu as it takes time to adapt. This process may not be done effectively if there is a constant change in the type of fuel being used..IMHO

Its like this- most car's a ecu's are set to adapt to the fuel they are given- in some cases they have a 'safe mode' that enables them to run lower octane fuel- where fuel mixtures & maps are done conservatively. But again this is somewhat of 'learning process' for the ecu as it takes time to adapt. This process may not be done effectively if there is a constant change in the type of fuel being used..IMHO

Thanks machan, I also thought the samething as you said. I use 90 now and like to go for 95 but some times I will have to fill 90 as 95 is not really available all the times and all the places. I think better to stick with 90.

BTW What will happen if we use different octane to an ecu which is adapted to another octane?

Edited by Bharath