• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Remember Not To Use 95 Octane Petrol + Full Synthetic Engine Oil Same Time

Nilantha

Earlier synthetic oils!!?? :blink: We are talking about the here and now mate. The probelms that many car owners faced in SL was very recent. And there have been many of them. That's why this topic is very relevant.

I'm glad that I am able to astonish you :lol: I didn't think I was that competent. The only thing you need to bare in mind is that most of us are wealthy like maybe you and your UK bretheren to afford brand new cars every 100,000kms. Most of us myself included buy mostly used cars. And once again I would like to remind you that we are talking about Sri Lanka. Furthermore however negligible the contact between fuel and oil, is there is contact none the less which can and in this Sri Lankan case has given rise to a chemical reaction that has been harmful to the many many engines over here. I mean where in the world do you hear relatively new Toyota engines going bust at this rate???

Where did I mention about me buying new cars every 100,000kms? I think u r not only competent enough about engines but also understanding simple english too. And could u please tell us about this "many many" cars that went wrong? I'm yet to hear of "well looked after" new toyota engines going bust. I know quite a number of people using new toyotas in sri lanka but never heard any of them going bust.. Maybe its how these "many" cars are maintained.

Perhaps many manufacturers underestimate (or more likely really don't consider) the conditions in SL even if many cars are tested in Death Valley and the Aussie outback I guess Sri Lanka has it own uniqueness.

Yeah yeah mate many many new cars come with computers which indicate servicing requirements. I suppose the General Manager of BMW SL trusted the computer on his brand new X3 a bit too much and let it go bust!!!??? ;)

For your info, engine oil is not the only reason a new engine can go bust. There can be so many other factors. Running low octane petrol in an engine mapped for higher octane alone can damage an engine significantly. European vehicles are mapped to 95 octane or higher and japanese performance vehicles are mapped to 100 octane. Since u r aware of the conditon of petrol in sri lankan best is to get the ecu remap to somewherer around 90. Dust, high humidity can be a problem for engine electricals too. Give them some thought.

No worries mate. We are all students from the cradle to the grave. Cars are complex machines and we all learn something new each day. And it's a good thing to share each ones thoughts so that we gain useful knowledge.

You're right it does not mix in considerable quantities but it does make contact none the less. That's why a lubricant cannot be something that will douse the spark/flame.

But as Ripper as explained very well this brief/minute contact has to be multiplied by thousands of revolutions. When an engine wears over a period of time the tolerences get wider and more and more oil comes into the combustion chamber. That's when compression gets less and oil consumption increases.

Brief minute contacts are oil films on the liners which does not have direct contact with the oil in the sump. These oil get burned in the chamber and goes out with the exhaust gas.

Compression gets less when piston rings are worn, oil gets into the chamber when oil rings are worn.

And about "Tolerence get wider".

Thats why u have rings which are spring loaded.

You will read some new car owners manuals that the first so many 1000s of kms will require regular topping up etc. Think about it....the oil has to go somewhere. Even to burn it obviously has to meet a flame!

never heard of new cars needing regular topping up. Give some examples please.

HI,

Keep going guys,we still have the freedom to express ourselves on the net!

I just tried a few web sites of some very well known oil companies-Mobil and Castrol. Mobil site had a very interesting story about a Land rover on the Longitude expedition having its oil changed after 28,000 miles, read for yourselves and decide.

Maithri

Most engines are below 500rpm. Some engines has even less than 100rpm. In some engines, easily more than 10 people could stay inside the the chamber. :rolleyes:

hey man...good to hear you're into marine stuff :)

If i may ask...are you more into mechanical side of things or boat/ship building itself :)

think CDL is the best of SL so far in that with a good track record...

I always wondered why our shipbuilding never properly took off though we are an island nation with a rich history of naval activities

hey man...good to hear you're into marine stuff :)

If i may ask...are you more into mechanical side of things or boat/ship building itself :)

think CDL is the best of SL so far in that with a good track record...

I always wondered why our shipbuilding never properly took off though we are an island nation with a rich history of naval activities

We are doing any type of marine work in SL mechanical, structural or any kind of. Just next to CDL. :)

nothing to worry about. CDL is doing ship building. Usually they build only the structure and just import a engine from outside. Just like micro cars :).

CDL is building even "Dora" for navy. However I heard from Navy those are not actually same as russian made. Anyway I'm really happy I recently visit CDL and found they are building some tugs even.

And could u please tell us about this "many many" cars that went wrong? I'm yet to hear of "well looked after" new toyota engines going bust. I know quite a number of people using new toyotas in sri lanka but never heard any of them going bust.. Maybe its how these "many" cars are maintained.

I really can't be bothered educating you on every little thing. You may call Toyota Lanka up and find out yourself. Or do your independent research before criticizing the comprehensive research carried out by others. Yes Maybe this maybe that....yes maybe it was the oil :lol: ???!!!

And could u please tell us about this "many many" cars that went wrong? I'm yet to hear of "well looked after" new toyota engines going bust. I know quite a number of people using new toyotas in sri lanka but never heard any of them going bust.. Maybe its how these "many" cars are maintained.

I really can't be bothered educating you on every little thing. You may call Toyota Lanka up and find out yourself. Or do your independent research before criticizing the comprehensive research carried out by others. Yes Maybe this maybe that....yes maybe it was the oil :lol: ???!!!

We are doing any type of marine work in SL mechanical, structural or any kind of. Just next to CDL. :)

nothing to worry about. CDL is doing ship building. Usually they build only the structure and just import a engine from outside. Just like micro cars :).

CDL is building even "Dora" for navy. However I heard from Navy those are not actually same as russian made. Anyway I'm really happy I recently visit CDL and found they are building some tugs even.

Well i'm a huge marine enthusiast...mainly into kayaks, canoes and inshore outboard boats since that's what i get to use in my fishing trips.

the CDL dvora is called the colombo class and is actually a UFAC and not just a FAC...

Probably it still needs more improvements to compete with the israelli super dvoras but i think it's a good start for our guys get into these sorta things...

CDL has been building quite large tug boats for a while now... i have read so much about their ops on the papers since i try follow the developments on this field in SL quite closely...

the inside scoop is tat the CDL is to build bluewater capable patrol vessels or OPV's for SLN after a tie up with a Czech company... interesting stuff :)

sorry to go off topic guys... you may carry on with the oil-fuel issue :)

Well i'm a huge marine enthusiast...mainly into kayaks, canoes and inshore outboard boats since that's what i get to use in my fishing trips.

the CDL dvora is called the colombo class and is actually a UFAC and not just a FAC...

Probably it still needs more improvements to compete with the israelli super dvoras but i think it's a good start for our guys get into these sorta things...

CDL has been building quite large tug boats for a while now... i have read so much about their ops on the papers since i try follow the developments on this field in SL quite closely...

the inside scoop is tat the CDL is to build bluewater capable patrol vessels or OPV's for SLN after a tie up with a Czech company... interesting stuff :)

Really happy to find a mariner here. I can do something for u if you like to visit port and see some ships. By the way do you like diving? :rolleyes:

Sorry for off topic ;)

Really happy to find a mariner here. I can do something for u if you like to visit port and see some ships. By the way do you like diving? :rolleyes:

Sorry for off topic ;)

man it's pretty tough to get into the port no machang... i'm forced to go to Rangala navy camp to get permits to fish off wattala... the process makes you wanna stop fishing :lol:

SAGT is one of our clients i think so some fellas got the chance to visit the port a few times :( sadly i don't work on the account so no trips...

would love to come and check it out of you can arrange something like that :)

and on diving...yep i love anything to do with adventure and nature :) but the funny thing is i'm not a good swimmer :lol: all my offshore adventures are PFD assisted...but i do snorkle when i can... getting the padi license is something i wanna do but sadly don't have the time to put into such an effort :(

btw... do you visit the local diving website that's online... quite a super site imho :)

For your info, engine oil is not the only reason a new engine can go bust. There can be so many other factors. Running low octane petrol in an engine mapped for higher octane alone can damage an engine significantly. European vehicles are mapped to 95 octane or higher and japanese performance vehicles are mapped to 100 octane. Since u r aware of the conditon of petrol in sri lankan best is to get the ecu remap to somewherer around 90. Dust, high humidity can be a problem for engine electricals too. Give them some thought.

Can you please read the original post please. Page one post one of this topic, the newspaper article etc. You will note that this topic was started due to a specific problem about using 95 octane fuel and fully syn oil.

And yes you know a lot about cars we have no doubt about that. Yes many many reasons for sure. But on this one I'm willing to go with what the GM of BMW went by. Thanks.

Brief minute contacts are oil films on the liners which does not have direct contact with the oil in the sump. These oil get burned in the chamber and goes out with the exhaust gas.

Compression gets less when piston rings are worn, oil gets into the chamber when oil rings are worn.

And about "Tolerence get wider".

Thats why u have rings which are spring loaded.

never heard of new cars needing regular topping up. Give some examples please.

Then how can this article at the beginning of the topic (3rd post) ever be published with the endorsment of a reputed engineer? Anyway most people in SL but used cars.

Ans to your 2nd question,

Mazda RX8, Alfa Nord twin Spark and Arese V6 from the top of my mind. Please refer long term reports from mags like CAR, Autocar.

man it's pretty tough to get into the port no machang... i'm forced to go to Rangala navy camp to get permits to fish off wattala... the process makes you wanna stop fishing :lol:

SAGT is one of our clients i think so some fellas got the chance to visit the port a few times :( sadly i don't work on the account so no trips...

and on diving...yep i love anything to do with adventure and nature :) but the funny thing is i'm not a good swimmer :lol: all my offshore adventures are PFD assisted...but i do snorkle when i can... getting the padi license is something i wanna do but sadly don't have the time to put into such an effort :(

btw... do you visit the local diving website that's online... quite a super site imho :)

I will see to arrange a visit to port. if you could drop me a mail to [email protected] with your mobile, i will call you.

I have visited most of diving sites in down south not online but in real life. :) Planing to visit a ship wreck at Kirinda on coming weekend. I have some contacts who is doing padi training at Hikkaduwa.

Most engines are below 500rpm. Some engines has even less than 100rpm. In some engines, easily more than 10 people could stay inside the the chamber. :rolleyes:

Wow awesome!! And can you please give us some stunning torque numbers that these monsters must be producing?

Ans to your 2nd question,

Mazda RX8, Alfa Nord twin Spark and Arese V6 from the top of my mind. Please refer long term reports from mags like CAR, Autocar.

Yup Yup my RX8 drinks bloody oil...i use Castrol GTX non-synthetic 5W20 and top up at every 2nd fuel fill up...its astonishing how much oil it drinks...the car has a oil pressure gauge but not oil level so i have to check all the time...i even have 4 bottles (quarts) of oil in my trunk at all times!

Hey Ripper,

REALLY OT here...

Since you're into marine stuff, you wouldnt hapen to know a place in Sri Lanka where i can get some spares for a Seadoo Xp Jetski would you? anyone who imports them? A*W imports Yamaha parts (upon confirmed order only of course), but need a Seadoo inporter.. thanks in advance if you know anyone :)

Hey Ripper,

REALLY OT here...

Since you're into marine stuff, you wouldnt hapen to know a place in Sri Lanka where i can get some spares for a Seadoo Xp Jetski would you? anyone who imports them? A*W imports Yamaha parts (upon confirmed order only of course), but need a Seadoo inporter.. thanks in advance if you know anyone :)

sadly machang jetskis really haven't been caught up here just yet...

yes the local yammy dealers are brining the down parts for the yamaha's but i'm pretty sure they have a very small number of clients here....

there are few places who bring down cars and bikes at times bringing down pwc's but very rare...

once saw some kawasakis in car sale in negombo road...

don't think you get seadoo importers here machang...

just my 2 cents...i frankly dont agree with this whole sri lankan conditions thingy...other countries are hot, dusty, not all US roads (non highways) are smooth. (esp soon after winter)

if anything it could be arributed the sri lankan driving styles..i've seen a lot of 1300, 1000 cc cars being pushed to their extreme..(in heavy traffic), our guys simply love to reach 60kmph or so in 100 meters only to do a hard brake within the nxt 5m. cutting across, flashing headlights, hard brake, heavy accelarations, hard brake etc etc. no wonder the engines get ruined pretty fast....

Edited by pissa

I had read this thread with great interest and here is what I have been able to gather

Synthetic oils introduced by one particular and famous manufacturer has led to problems with sludge forming and has led to some people forming an opinion it is unwise to use Synthetic engine oils with 95 octane petrol.

After reading all the experts comments I think the most likely and feasible explanation for this is the one provided by JWest which is that it was probably caused by the mixing of different types of synthetic oil which under certain circumstances broke down causing sludge.

I think another feasible explanation is (and one I know with some practical experience) that if somebody switches from mineral oil to synthetic without flushing the engine properly, the detergents in the synthetic oil will flush out sludge left by the previous mineral oil and then retain it in places with no where to go. And if a particular car like this does not get much use this sludge with settle and cause problems. GTAm could you please explain where we can obtain these oils you mentioned to flush out an engine safely and do you know of any places which uses machinery to do this ?. I once used Abro engine oil treatment, and I wasn't quite sure whether it was a good idea and certainly did not solve the problem in my car !.

I think nearly all oils we get synthetic or mineral (or semi synthetic) are a mixture of various compounds to get an engine oil with the desirable properties.

I guess the key observations here are, cars which get regular use have far less problems and can achieve much higher mileages without issue (for example taxis) and cars which stand for long periods of time generally have more problems.

I do not personally thing adequate amount of oil gets in the combustion chamber and back for the combustion process to directly affect the chemical composition of oil. But I have head that when burning higher octane petrol the engine reaches higher operating temperatures and this obviously might affect an inferior quality oil (though in theory the tolerances of the oil should be much higher than the maximum operating temperature of the engine)

Not to add petrol in to a burning fire, just summing up the facts presented up to now and adding a few of my own comments.

Ado you two going OT is like some commercial break from the action!!! shhh! lol :D

Ado you two going OT is like some commercial break from the action!!! shhh! lol :D

Pila a bit of chitter chatter never did anyone any harm neh :) Plus this is probably like a virtual "linda" and old habits are hard to get rid of !.