• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Remember Not To Use 95 Octane Petrol + Full Synthetic Engine Oil Same Time

Nilantha

Remember not to use 95 octane petrol + Full synthetic engine oil same time. last Saturday I heard discussion with Lal Alawaththa he said that he has practical issue using 95 octane petrol + Full synthetic engine oil same time. if you use long time it could cause engine damage because of more engine deposits build up.

Remember not to use 95 octane petrol + Full synthetic engine oil same time. last Saturday I heard discussion with Lal Alawaththa he said that he has practical issue using 95 octane petrol + Full synthetic engine oil same time. if you use long time it could cause engine damage because of more engine deposits build up.

:o

is this really true! pls give sme advice...

There is a paper article here ...

Note that the article says that the high risk vehicles are those with long intervals between oil changes- ie. >5000kms.

the hitch is that oil companies say that you can use the oil for thousands and thousand of miles... probablly true in labs but even the best oils get wasted especially in our conditions so longer changes don't really help...

i use castrol mineral oil and change it often... no necessarily on the mileage....if i feel that the oil is wasted even under 3000k...i'll change it :)

Note that the article says that the high risk vehicles are those with long intervals between oil changes- ie. >5000kms.

mmmm what I understood was the risk is greater for users who run the 15,000 km's which is the recommended change intervals for oils like Castrol RS (Now replaced with EDGE)

wOw this is news as we think that putting the highest oil and running is always good and we change it according to the times specified by the oil agents.

If that's the case no use in spending RS. 6000 apx for a fully synthetic oil and then flushing it by 6-8000 km might as well go for the next level below I suppose.... in my case Castrol Magnatec...

Question

Would there be an issue if we down grade from Castol RS to Magnatec ? I know there can be issues as qulity oils clean the engine which in turn leaves the engine cleaner and needing re slivering of the bore etc...

Could some expert pls let me know if it's safe to downgrade in my case....?

i dont think that using a higher grade petrol and synthetic oil at the same time would damage the engine.This article just tells the basics of oil changing. If you are running a non synthetic oil,say mobil XHP, i suggest you change it every 3000Km or 3 monts,whichever comes first. The fact that most people dont get is that they think that oil need not be changed utill it meets the particulat milage interval.they totally ignore that fact the oils get degraded even if its in a car thats not being used much.Even it you are using synthetics pls change it atlest every 8000Km but if you can 6000Km would be the safest limit,this is mainly due to SL envirionmental factors such as traffic,temp,etc...

As per the millage interval issue i suggest you read the manufacturers hand book fore more information.it will clearly show the milage after which you should change the oil depending on the various environmental factors. According to the Honda ES8 owners manual that i have, under normal condition you only need to change the engine oil every 10000km but under severe conditions it drops down to 5000Km. According to the owners manual the following factors are considered as severe conditions,

1.Driving less than 8km per trip or in freezing temp,drving less than 16km per trip.

2.Driving in extreamly hot(over 35 c) conditions.

3.Extensive idling or long periods of stop and go driving.

4.Trailer towing or driving in mountainous conditions.

5.Driving on muddy,dusty envirionment.

Edited by GearHead

@ mazdaspeed ....i dont think that there would be any effect on your car's engine if you chage from synthetics to normal oil...just change the oil at regular intervals. In my case i use Mibil XHP and change every 3000KM.The service centre normally recommends 5000Km with the XHP but since that is the absolute limit and considering the SL env. i think 3000-3500KM would be the limit for that. And ofcourse dont forget to change the oil filter every time you change the oil.

Recently had the Sump packing and the valve cover packing replaces and i carefully inspected the sump when my mechanic removed it from the car but there were no sludge deposits on both sump and the valve cover..And i do pump 95 octane petrol.

Edited by GearHead

The article above I think gives the true answer by way of a round about manner. But I do disagree that the root cause for engine sludge is the use of high octane fuel with synthetic oils.

In my opinion, I believe that some of the reasons are engine sludge to form are the following

High engine temps

Hard driving

low quality fuel

Bad filtration systems on the oil circuit

Low operational temps

It is true that high octane fuels raise the engine combustion temp. But this alone is not enough to breakdown the oil and cause sludge.

On the flip side, some simple practices can prevent the formation of sludge.

use of a good oil filter - As important as the oil itself, I am a firm believer that my oil is only as good as my filter.

good quality oil - Synthetic is fine

Timely oil changes - If you drive a lot in stop and go traffic, harsh weather, bad air quality, the manufacturers claim of extended oil change periods do not apply to you!!!

There is no point in discrediting synthetic engine oils, as I don't think it is a proven fact that only synthetic oils cause sludge.

On another note, I am not a firm believer that just using synthetic oils lets you change oils at longer intervals. the oil change interval depends on

The oil

The Filter

The type of driving

Type of engine

I think this is a much larger discussion. But my simple point is that just by changing the oil to synthetic oils, you may not be extending your oil change period.

personally i wouldn't believe a thing this lal j***a$$ has to say so take his 'practical issues' with a pinch of salt... on other news it's been discussed numerous times of how our climate affects oil/filter/air cleaner change intervals...

personally i wouldn't believe a thing this lal j***a$$ has to say so take his 'practical issues' with a pinch of salt... on other news it's been discussed numerous times of how our climate affects oil/filter/air cleaner change intervals...

didnt you goto him for some brake/handbrake issue and come back not in the best of attitudes... ? (and i didnt know h still did motor-tech-advising)

First came across this subject a few months ago when I was contemplating buying a used Audi A4. Looked up a lot of reviews and apparently late 90s Audi & Volkswagen turbo engines are affected by Oil Sludge problems.... Found an interesting article on the subject - the known causes and remedies..... quite interesting reading

Second Opinion - Oil Sludge

basically what is says is that the main causes of sludge are poor quality oil, poor quality fuel and excessive heat and heavily stressed engines. And interestingly certain engine designs are more likely to have sludge problems than others. Surprising then why someone should come to the conclusion that using the best quality oil and best available fuel should cause the problem....... i think what most of you guys say is true,.... the high price of the oil tends to make the owner keep it in the sump too long which leads to a chemical breakdown of the oil.

Edited by nira74

Hi Guys, I live and work in the uk-so the weather and conditions are extremely different,but I see a lot of engines as I am a motor engineer(mechanic)(technician) garage owner. We have several car manufacturers selling their cars on the basis of very long service intervals I.E. VW AUDI 30k Miles on diesels 20k on petrols using synthetic long life oils with 0w/30 grade oils. Sludge is a common problem on low milage cars used for short journeys as the engine does not get to the correct operating temp before it is stopped. The high milage cars used mostly on Motorway style journeys rarely get sludged as they run in almost perfect conditions. I have a customer with a diesel which I service(the UK version not the SL version service) every 10,000 miles. I use 10w/40 semi synthetic. I started servicing the car at 80,000 miles and now it's on 280,000 Yes the lady drives around 500 miles daily 5 days a week. The engine runs like new and has never been dismantled-it's had 3 cam belts,1 water pump-not due to wear but driven by cam belt so good practice at 200000miles approx. 1 clutch and 1 radiator(which was a puzzle as it blocked up suddenly causing over heating). It is 4 years old now.

Note

NO SYNTHETIC OIL

NORMAL DIESEL

REGULAR SERVICING

this may be one extreme example but prove there is no real need for very short 3000km oil changes or for oil filters to be changed so often.

Dont let service stations and oil companies fleece you,

It's very important to change the air filter often due to the dusty conditions in Colombo. Even change the diesel or petrol filter at half the manufacturers interval to protect from poor quality or contaminated fuel, but if you are using such good quality oils like Castrol amd Mobil dont waste money on Oil Filters more often than you need to and I am sure the oil will last longer than 3000 km's more like 10000 to 15 000 km's on a car driven normally.

Maithri

• Like 1

@ mazdaspeed ....i dont think that there would be any effect on your car's engine if you chage from

Thanks a lot for the info and advise GearHead... ya generally change the oil every 5000Km as opposed to the 8000km recomended by the A*W (Agents for Castrol) and I always replace the filter at every change of oil.

I shall tell my mechanic to check on the stum too..

Once again thanks

Cheers

I do my oil changes always on or before the 3000km mark and I use 95oct. Had the oil changed at the agents sometime ago along with the filter change. Not even 500kms after that I happened to open the oil cap on the engine and I found kind of a greasy stuff on it. I sent it back to the agents and they confirmed it to be engine sludge and got to know that they had used synthetic oil. "95Oct+Synthatic engine Oil = Sludge" Coincidence or not I do not know. I now use only XHP; No problems so far. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS ONLY "MY" EXPERIENCE. My car is a Toyota Verossa.

I do my oil changes always on or before the 3000km mark and I use 95oct. Had the oil changed at the agents sometime ago along with the filter change. Not even 500kms after that I happened to open the oil cap on the engine and I found kind of a greasy stuff on it. I sent it back to the agents and they confirmed it to be engine sludge and got to know that they had used synthetic oil. "95Oct+Synthatic engine Oil = Sludge" Coincidence or not I do not know. I now use only XHP; No problems so far. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS ONLY "MY" EXPERIENCE. My car is a Toyota Verossa.

Toyota's have experienced a known engine sludge issue - this has affected many late 90s-early 2000's vehicles. See google.

Thanks a lot for the info and advise GearHead... ya generally change the oil every 5000Km as opposed to the 8000km recomended by the A*W (Agents for Castrol) and I always replace the filter at every change of oil.

I shall tell my mechanic to check on the stum too..

Once again thanks

Cheers

machan actually why i removed the sump was just to put a new sump packing since the oil one was ols and leaking oil. So there i had a chance to inspect for any sludge formation.removeing the sump and cheking it would be a very time comsuming task and you might need to buy a new sump packing as well and it would be a waste of money if there's nothing wrong with the current one.dont remove the sump from the car unless there's repair to be done.since you have chaged oil regularly i dont think that your engine would have any large sludge formation. As per the oil filter eventhough many people say that it can be used more than ones i think its better to replace it at every oil change since compairing to the value of a healthy engine the cost of an oil filter is negligible.

There is another possible explanation for this newbi, Synthetic oil has detergents to help keep the oil lines and the engine clean, its possible the sludge you saw was previously accumulated sludge that the detergents have loosened out and brought to the surface

It is true high engine temperatures contribute to sludge, but I find it quite a strange suggestion that it affects synthetic oils more than mineral oils because, considering a lot of the synthetic oils are made with engine performance in mind, and engines which are turbo charged or have high cut offs often work at very high temperatures, and use high octane petrol, it would be quite a severe production quality issue of such oils cause sludge ! because mineral oils containing naturally occurring hydro carbons are surely more susceptible to sludge than synthetic oils !.

The Don

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Guys,

Our club had a presentation last evening about lubricants which was done by one of the lubricant importers. They uncovered some of the myths about this problem. Here are a few points that I learned and would like to share.

* The Synthetic Oil with 95 octane issue is one particular brand specific. It was a problem with that particular oil from that manufacturer.

* Synthetics are the best oils and they have no problem with 95 oct fuel.

* The fuel available in SL whether 90 or 95 is filthy. And surprise surprise it not 90 or 95 actually. It's more 88/89 and 92/93 according to these guys' research.

* No matter how little you've run, you need to change oil every 6 months for mineral and 8 months of Syn. The oil breaks down after that.

* Sludge forms with mineral oils a lot easier than with syn after reacting with impurities in the fuel. If you buy a used car that has been run on mineral oil and you switch to Syn then the syn oil will bring the sludge to the surface or put it at the bottom of the crank case.

* So you need to flush the engine before putting in syn oil. But Do NOT use a engine flushing oil as they (whatever is available on the SL mkt) are harmful. Use instead additional heated new oil. Some service places have a machine that does it. And that is recomended.

* The older your engine gets you can go onto semi syn and then mineral oils.

GT am,

I suspected that the Oil companies and the importers are taking the SL public for a ride, this confirms it! Visit the oil Manufacturers Web sites,from UK etc. You will find almost the opposite, Change oil every 8 months! What rubbish is he selling, Fuel may not be up to much in SL still most good engines will burn almost all the fuel it's fed and the remins mostly exit through the exhaust pipe, So unless you have a very worn engine it's unlikely fuel will contaminate the oil in the sump to such an extent that it needs replacing after 8 months regardless of the distance travelled. Do some research!

Maithri

Guys,

Our club had a presentation last evening about lubricants which was done by one of the lubricant importers. They uncovered some of the myths about this problem. Here are a few points that I learned and would like to share.

* The Synthetic Oil with 95 octane issue is one particular brand specific. It was a problem with that particular oil from that manufacturer.

* Synthetics are the best oils and they have no problem with 95 oct fuel.

* The fuel available in SL whether 90 or 95 is filthy. And surprise surprise it not 90 or 95 actually. It's more 88/89 and 92/93 according to these guys' research.

* No matter how little you've run, you need to change oil every 6 months for mineral and 8 months of Syn. The oil breaks down after that.

* Sludge forms with mineral oils a lot easier than with syn after reacting with impurities in the fuel. If you buy a used car that has been run on mineral oil and you switch to Syn then the syn oil will bring the sludge to the surface or put it at the bottom of the crank case.

* So you need to flush the engine before putting in syn oil. But Do NOT use a engine flushing oil as they (whatever is available on the SL mkt) are harmful. Use instead additional heated new oil. Some service places have a machine that does it. And that is recomended.

* The older your engine gets you can go onto semi syn and then mineral oils.

what proof have u got to tell us that fully synthetic oil breaks after 8 months? our company cars (mostly VWs and Audis) do about 18,000 - 20,000miles before an oil change. that is not within an year. sometimes even 2 years!! VW told us that there is absolutely no need to change oil until the "Service" light comes on. some of these cars do about 200,000 with only 10 - 12 oil changes. so u telling us that u've done more research than the VW guys?

There is no way in this world fully synthetic oil can break down in 8months if its NOT used!! The whole thing about synthetic oil is that it breaks down when it is used unlike mineral oil which tends to contaminate quite easily.

The older your engine gets you can go onto semi syn and then mineral oils

This is just ridiculus! I don't know who does these research! so u r telling me after 10 years time i should put mineral oil to my car because its old, even though the manufacturer recomends synthetic oil? :angry-smiley-048:

Before u bring the whole "Sri Lankan conditions" thing here I would like to ask if anyone here from SL uses a car with computer controlled service reminder built in? Please let us know what intervals do u get and what kind of driving do u do?

Edited by JwesT