• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tuk Tuks Are Not Safe.

Saturn

A few weeks ago I saw a tuk tuk accident - the driver did a sudden turn, and the tuktuk flipped. Nobody died but the driver was hurt/bleeding. This is the second time I've seen a tuktuk fall over.

From a design perspective, a tuk tuk is an unstable vehicle. Also, the people who drive it are barely qualified to walk on the roads far less operate these deathtraps.

Still, a large percentage of the population of Sri Lanka consider tuktuks to be safe and reliable - executives, women, children, everyone travels in them.

Has anyone who travels in a tuk tuk considered what would happen if the vehicle flips? You find yourself dragged sideways along the ground - and what if you are hit by any one of the hundreds of vehicles travelling recklessly on the road?

I know there's a belief that tuk tuk drivers are 'experts' - but the thing is, every once in a way they have a bad day, or loose concentration for a moment. Or, the fact that they have no IQ catches up with them. And when that happens, people are usually hurt.

I wonder if anyone has official statistics for tuk tuk accidents... So far I've seen more tuk tuk accidents than bike accidents on our road - not to suggest that bikes are safe here - but I'm beginning to consider that tuk tuks may be worse.

And on the same subject, can someone tell me why local people are terrified of seatbelts? I keep asking people who travel with me to wear a seatbelt but they never think this is necessary.

Most of all, why do people who are most vulnerable (pedestrians, motorcyclists, bicyclists, etc) take the most risks? Particularly motor cyclists?

Edited by Saturn

couple of years ago a threewheeler+van accident occured on aprk road when the three wheeler decided to bypass all trafic (thats building up near the trafic lights) by going on the opposite side of the road... well, jsut moments after he crossed the dividing line (obviously nto seeing the van) he hit the van which was travelling at no more than 30-40kmph (it was a real slow lady driving) the taxi just hit the van and if i remember right the steering came and hit the driver on the thigh-bones about 4-5 inches below the him and broke both legs.. and i mean the bones just snapped... and he was thrown onto the road and was rushed to hospital in anothert taxi...

thats when i realized that a taxi really isnt a safe vehicle... cos the only thing between the driver and the vehicle coming head on is a thin metal sheet which can just snap back with a hard metal rod to crush your legs (at least break them)

And true, some 3wheel drivers think they are real pros driving some oungsters sitting, sliding down the seat so low they might as well be lying on it.. and i'm guessing some youngsters just borrow their fathers/brothers' vehicles, cos they really dont seem like they're old enough to drive...

And on the same subject, can someone tell me why local people are terrified of seatbelts? I keep asking people who travel with me to wear a seatbelt but they never think this is necessary.

Something I've often wondered too. I generally manage to convince them to wear it when riding with me tho :D

A few months ago I saw an incident on Duplication road where a threewheeler hit a van that stopped at a pedestrian crossing. The front glass of the threewheeler shattered and most of the front was under the back of the van (it just crumpled and went under). Fortunately the driver managed to squeeze out and only had a few scrapes, there was a woman and child with shopping at the back nothing happened to them. But then the threewheel driver proceeded to argue with the van driver as though it was the van's fault. The threewheeler couldn't be taken out as the front was lodged under the van, so it was a big ha ho and traffic jam till the police came and sorted it out (the van had to drive dragging the threewheeler behind it hehe). Its not just the unsafe vehicle, its the retarded attitudes of the drivers that think they are never at fault that gets me. I remember a few years ago a friend of mine had his car damaged by a threewheeler that decided to travel along the pavement without brakes during the traffic jam. Ended up with the threewheel bugger getting hammered due to his bad attitude, and the biggest joke was it was not even his threewheeler.

Something I've often wondered too. I generally manage to convince them to wear it when riding with me tho :D

Worst offenders are the local ladies.. (Of course.. guys are probably bad but I donno as I don't take any in my car! :) )

I remember this sweet girl who used to say "But my pappa doesn't ask me to wear a seatbelt"

Well.. what can a person say to such brilliant logic.

Edited by Saturn

Its not just the unsafe vehicle, its the retarded attitudes of the drivers that think they are never at fault that gets me.

Well said. Aside from tuktuk/motorcycle drivers, even people driving 'proper' vehicles tend to act like idiots on our roads.

I can't really say who's to blame. Maybe its a combination of a vindictive culture, lack of education, manners, and most of all, no IQ, which has led to the road being populated by morons.

The traffic situation in Sri Lanka may be considered a non issue in the face of other issues (war, poverty, etc) but at the same time, it has a big impact on peoples lives. The average person spends anything from an hour upwards every day, 'battling' traffic. No matter whether you have your own vehicle, or travel in public transport, its still stressful and dangerous.

True, traffic related deaths are rare, but a lot of needless accidents do happen, and many are injured daily.

I know this traffic issue has been discussed so many times here, and in other places, but at the end of the day, I think it's a significant problem that affects this country and its peoples adversely.

Personally, I find it hard to cope with crazy overtakers - I'm fine with anyone overtaking me but I take offense if their overtaking means that I have to slam my brakes and swerve to prevent crashing into them.

Also, motorcyclists seem to have this belief that they have right of way and are invincible. In some ways, they are more impressive than three wheel drivers. And ironically, they too suffer the worst in any accident.

Being a good motorist in Sri Lanka is hard - you have two choices. Drive nicely, and be overtaken and run off the road, or drive like a bat out of hell and hope your insurance policy is good, and your luck holds. There is no middle ground.

The saddest thing is, with a little bit of effort (and a system of rules) the situation could be a lot better. But for this to happen, 1.) 99% of drivers would have to be reeducated, and 2). We'd have to have a working uncorruptable system to enforce road rules. Since neither of those things will happen in our lifetime, I guess the problem is here to stay.

Edited by Saturn

A few weeks ago I saw a tuk tuk accident - the driver did a sudden turn, and the tuktuk flipped.

Actually there is a safety lock on the steering handle to prevent from tight turning circles that cause flip overs. But most of the drivers remove the lock so they can perform acrobatic manoeuvres on the road.

without wishing to offend anyone...... i've noticed that quite a large number of people who drive marutis seem to be getting into the "three wheeler mentality" i.e, overtaking everywhere, cutting people up at random and aiming for gaps that usually arent there..... often with no regard to other road users... this is especially infuriating for those who drive old cars :angry-smiley-024:

Can't there be some law where the moped's are automatically liable for their accidents, especially when the idiots ride without helmets or licenses?

I recall that there was a topic on 49cc maniacs.cant find it now.

Finally the govt is going to take the right action on Mopeds.This was in yesterdays papers.

72117059ur6.jpg

72117059ur6.5456916608.jpg

MINIACE

I recall that there was a topic on 49cc maniacs.cant find it now.

Finally the govt is going to take the right action on Mopeds.This was in yesterdays papers.

72117059ur6.jpg

72117059ur6.5456916608.jpg

MINIACE

thats good... but hope this doesn't encourage these maniac moped to go faster.... cos, if you hit them (while driving :-) ), and even if it's their fault, they'll be hurt real good.. and we'll end up being the bad-guys

Didn't Heath Streak, the former Zimbabwe international, injure his shoulder in a three-wheeler accident during a tour here a few years ago? I think it rolled on him while going through a round-about.

I have to admit, sometimes I wish I could just drive straight into three-wheelers driving on the wrong side in traffic.

I have to admit, sometimes I wish I could just drive straight into three-wheelers driving on the wrong side in traffic.

Did that a couple of times. They just go even further and go around you. Damn well don't give them room if they try to poke into my lane tho. Tho they usually just go on and try the car in front then.

Yes there was some incident involving a couple of foreign cricketers..but they were not supposed to be out at that time and the threewheel bugger was supposed to be drunk (so said the media). As for the helmets and license requirement for mopeds that's good news, but I don't know whether that makes any diff given the standards of our drivers even after getting the license. I'm ashamed to say it, but I know for that fact that even friends of mine have been just given free licenses by the head of the department in charge of licenses, just cos they are friends with his daughter. Our driving tests are a joke, and there are way too many people getting licenses now at the drop of a few thousand bucks. I think licenses should be a privilege and not a right. I remember having a huge argument with the dude who did my test when he asked for cash (cos I didn't apply through a driving school) and ended up threatening to report him, and demanded that he step out my vehicle immediately (after I had gotten the permit from his hand of course Lol!).

six months ago.. my car ( vitz ) was crashed in to a bus( leyland ) by my wife..& she was o.k ..

but car was damaged heavily..front bumper..hood..head lights..a.c core..& some parts should be replaced..

so I put ma car to a garage ....everybody said me tht garage buggers work is good but he'll take more time than others.. :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060:

it was o.k wit me I waited for some 3 weeks time & one day I went to garage to settle his payments & to tell him to give her some polish..& some final touches...

But my dear brothers...wht I saw was.....rear end of my car is F....d...

rear door..brake lights...rear winscreen..all da way to da rear seat was crushed..... :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060: at once I thought it was hit by a loory or some big vehicle...but it was a TUK TUK... :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048:

DRUNK TUK TUK DRIVER WENT HIGH SPEED...OUT OF CONTROL...BUSTED IN TO MY READY TO GO HOME CAR.....

:violent-smiley-099: :violent-smiley-099:

tuk tuk driver was @ accident ward... insurane ppl could only gve me 7500/= b'coz tht's da maximum amount tht fully insuared taxi can pay for da third party.. :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048:

so....my brothers....I claimed again from my insurence...again...spare parts....delkanda...waisting time...waisting money..blah blah blah.. So pls beware of those TUK TUKS.. they can only give 7500/= for ur damage...

Edited by DarkangeL

six months ago.. my car ( vitz ) was crashed in to a bus( leyland ) by my wife..& she was o.k ..

but car was damaged heavily..front bumper..hood..head lights..a.c core..& some parts should be replaced..

so I put ma car to a garage ....everybody said me tht garage buggers work is good but he'll take more time than others.. :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060:

it was o.k wit me I waited for some 3 weeks time & one day I went to garage to settle his payments & to tell him to give her some polish..& some final touches...

But my dear brothers...wht I saw was.....rear end of my car is F....d...

rear door..brake lights...rear winscreen..all da way to da rear seat was crushed..... :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060: at once I thought it was hit by a loory or some big vehicle...but it was a TUK TUK... :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048:

DRUNK TUK TUK DRIVER WENT HIGH SPEED...OUT OF CONTROL...BUSTED IN TO MY READY TO GO HOME CAR.....

:violent-smiley-099: :violent-smiley-099:

tuk tuk driver was @ accident ward... insurane ppl could only gve me 7500/= b'coz tht's da maximum amount tht fully insuared taxi can pay for da third party.. :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048:

so....my brothers....I claimed again from my insurence...again...spare parts....delkanda...waisting time...waisting money..blah blah blah.. So pls beware of those TUK TUKS.. they can only give 7500/= for ur damage...

OUCH!!!! didn't know that.....

Didn't Heath Streak, the former Zimbabwe international, injure his shoulder in a three-wheeler accident during a tour here a few years ago? I think it rolled on him while going through a round-about.

May be we could do that together - :rolleyes: so if ur thinking ... count me in

I never slow down or steer to a side to avoid three wheelers. I have a general aversion in myself towards them . I hate to give room when they try to cut in front in a traffic jam. But sometimes they win. We cant make sudden pick ups and quick jabs of bakes like a tuk tuk. I know it could be wrong. Not all the tuk tuk drivers can be categorized under this. But tuk tuk guys have initiated and driving along their own fate.

But tuk tuk guys have initiated and driving along their own fate.

Be careful of tuktuks. Once, a tuktuk driver overtook me and crashed into a bicycle about 50 feet ahead. When he was pulled out, he claimed I was responsible as "The bicycle had to overtake me and [he] had to overtake the bicycle"

This is the thing - when there's an incident, the first thing they do is blame the nearest car. Car drivers [anyone driving a decent vehicle] are considered easy targets. The same thing happens with pedestrians, motorcyclists, and other scum - blaming the car driver is easy as most people resent them anyway.

Edited by Saturn

Agree! and when something happens all the other tuk tuk guys gather around and support their tuk tuk guy no matter who is right or wrong.

lakshank, im sure that in YOUR case tuk tuks arent much of a problem right? i've noticed that they stay well clear of any LR Defenders on the road.... the only time they seem to follow road rules is when there is a defender around... ;)

yes supra..u r right....But i dont drive my defender much in colombo due to the extra heavy clutch and the threat from tigers.( my canopy isnt modified and looks like an army jeep)..

when i am on the wheels of the defender i dont give a *** for tuk tuks... if they cut in , i will go and nudge....who cares i have a * rail peeli* bumper..

when i am on the wheels of the defender i dont give a *** for tuk tuks... if they cut in , i will go and nudge....who cares i have a * rail peeli* bumper..

Like that idea of the * rail peeli* bumper I've been having the same idea running in my head......

unfortunately don't have a pick-up or anything in that line yet.... planning to but it's going to take some time with the crazy prices they ask for

The next thing these tuk tuk guys use is after slamming the car they drive off saying to claim it from the insurance.... somehow they stay clear from big vehicles and Landrovers

In the event others (tuk tuk) try to interfere when there is an accident - just tell them to shut the F*%K up - U have to use the language otherwise it just doesn’t work......... forget the tie and suit hell with that ....

If u meet with an accident (with tuk tuk) get out and take pictures of the crash with your phone (if u have)- don’t bother talking to them after that start talking to them…. If they say you’re to blame (and if U know u’r not) tell them to file a case and u have already dealt with cases like this and you’re so and so is a lawyer /judge etc…

It kind of works in most situations …..