• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sri Lanka – Failed State, Laughing Stock

Mean Green z28

*puff Puff* whoah!!! thats some good stuff weed bro!!

on a more serios note, i just saw in the LMD of this month that 65% of people in a survey are under the impression that Percy is doing a good job :blink:

looks like our buddy weed is not alone after all :rolleyes:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its good to see a lot loyal patriotic people in this forum. I'm all for that even though I'm working abroad, but there are no jobs in my field of work in Sri lanka. Hopefully I will one day get a chance to bring the knowledge to Sri lanka.

I know there are certian characters in the government who doesn't rdeserve to be there, but that would be very hard to avoide in Sri lanka. Overall I think the government is doing a good job, it is very hard for them to fight a war and promote growth in the economy. Either we give Elam to Prabha and concentrate on the economy (a bit similar to what Ranil was doing) or try to end the war and take abit of a hit on the economy. Considering much of the gas and oil reserves are in 'Elam', what do you guys think is the best way forward?

first of all, unless your a nuclear physicist, please don't justify your need to work abroad. Because unlike the other Lankans living abroad who have contributed to this thread, you are quite ignorant.

How dare you sit there in your makeshift abode and tell us that this gvmt is doing a good job???????

YES IT IS VERY HARD TO FIGHT A WAR AND PROMOTE GROWTH (OBVIOUSLY!).. which kinda makes you ask why the hell we are at war for 22 yrs....? you think if any of the gvmts in Sri Lanka REALLY wanted to, we couldn't achieve some sort of settlement?!?!?!

Just ask any mother who lost her kid to the war, (sinhalease or tamil), and she will tell how good this (or any gvmt) is....

Edited by Arc Angel

We have to accept the fact that "new era" srilankan politicians will never grow up! They remind me of little kids that want candy but have to depend on adults to buy them one. In their (politicians) cases, they have no self respect nor dignity what so ever. Gone are the days when politicians actually did some work to EARN their salaries and perks. What they don't realise when they waste those millions on expense a/c, luxury suites, luxury vehicles etc..etc...etc is that they are robbing you, me, our kids and our families the right to live a decent life in our motherland. Do you think that our moron of a foreign minister or any other MP/Minister would spare a thought for the average citizen who may bring home a measley Rs.10,000/- at the end of a month before spending Rs.300,000 A DAY just for room charges. Now pls don't tell me that that is not a crime. Pls don't tell me that our economy is down because of the war only. We can blame Praba all we want but what about those "instant millionires" that this war has created. Countless numbers of young men in the forces made the ultimte sacrifice so that these "terrorists" could fill their pockets. And then we have these weird off-springs of politicians. One can't expect much from these babies either as their parents never taught them to grow up. They would feel no shame driving around in those fancy cars; its daddy's blood money so lets party. they would feel no shame assaulting another person just for fun; daddy will look after everything. Disgusting. If you want something, go work your ass off to get it and be proud of it.

I respect and value our culture so much that my wife and I decided to raise our daughter in SriLanka rather than Toronto. And we will raise our kid here. And we will teach her to achieve her ambitions by working hard and not by resting on her family laurels. Don't think Ranil will do much either to curb corruption or to limit the perks enjoyed by our very unqualified, incompetent parlimentarians. And Mahinda will continue his circus cos he is above the law.

well said bro...

We have to accept the fact that "new era" srilankan politicians will never grow up! They remind me of little kids that want candy but have to depend on adults to buy them one. In their (politicians) cases, they have no self respect nor dignity what so ever. Gone are the days when politicians actually did some work to EARN their salaries and perks. What they don't realise when they waste those millions on expense a/c, luxury suites, luxury vehicles etc..etc...etc is that they are robbing you, me, our kids and our families the right to live a decent life in our motherland. Do you think that our moron of a foreign minister or any other MP/Minister would spare a thought for the average citizen who may bring home a measley Rs.10,000/- at the end of a month before spending Rs.300,000 A DAY just for room charges. Now pls don't tell me that that is not a crime. Pls don't tell me that our economy is down because of the war only. We can blame Praba all we want but what about those "instant millionires" that this war has created. Countless numbers of young men in the forces made the ultimte sacrifice so that these "terrorists" could fill their pockets. And then we have these weird off-springs of politicians. One can't expect much from these babies either as their parents never taught them to grow up. They would feel no shame driving around in those fancy cars; its daddy's blood money so lets party. they would feel no shame assaulting another person just for fun; daddy will look after everything. Disgusting. If you want something, go work your ass off to get it and be proud of it.

I respect and value our culture so much that my wife and I decided to raise our daughter in SriLanka rather than Toronto. And we will raise our kid here. And we will teach her to achieve her ambitions by working hard and not by resting on her family laurels. Don't think Ranil will do much either to curb corruption or to limit the perks enjoyed by our very unqualified, incompetent parlimentarians. And Mahinda will continue his circus cos he is above the law.

We need a leader with balls, great aversion to incompetence and someone who sees material wealth as just that. There are many qualified SRILANKANS in A/L who possess these qualities...........interested in politics anyone?!!!

very well said....

this is what our "fake patriots" don't seem to gather. no one argues the fact that we should give into terrorists but that doesn't justify crime and corruption the government is commiting.

It's sad that people don't see the difference between to be patriotic and love your country from blindly following "leaders" cos they are your man.

MR and his government is using the "patriotism" the way idiots see it and use it against the whole country to fatten their pockets and live a super luxury life.

It's true that the war is fought and "managed" in a much better way but they can and should do all that without further burdening the public.

sadly most of the population consists of pure idiots with no intelligence like our resident board clown here "weed" :angry-smiley-048:

do the world a favor...take a puff and don't exhale ever. sri lanka will do at least a little bit better with one less idiot ruining it for everybody

Very sad ... because its true ... this is what I hear day in, day out over here. I'm glad someone put them into writing, please try to forward this to whoever you'll can.

Sri Lanka – failed state, laughing stock

I spent a holiday in the US very recently and hung my head in shame whenever Sri Lankans got together over there. Their riducule of matters Sri Lankan and our politicians was bitter, but justified. I returned with a totally despondent feeling and one I've never had before - wanting to go back; leave this wretchd homeland of mine.

Some of the reasons:-

* Wastage of money by the government which is fast ruining the country, actually ruined it already. Our economy is down, down but consider the utter waste on security for all MPs, the tamashas, the luxury cars, an Aston Martin included! (No end to the list)

* The large contingents that taken by the Prez on his trips abroad. Case in point: the record breaking number taken along last year when the Prez addressed the UN. Once our folk dump themselves in those horribly expenisve suites (Waldorf Astoria? Four Seasons?) they scatter only to meet again at the hotel for departure. Rumour had it some even jetted to Las Vegas while spouses and spices (mistresses taken along) went to gape at the Grand Canyon.

* A repetition this time too - of the vast number taken along while the country is getting poorer by the day and the wages of poverty suffered by the masses rise.. Politicians have a glorious time at the expense of the citizens of Sri Lanka. What use this vast number taken abroad? The Prez's way of saying 'thank you for being loyal to me and keeping me in power.'? Consider the amount of good that can be done to the country with the millions wasted on a jamboree for loyals: schools and hospitals equipped, roads repaired ...

* The impunity with which people in power run amok trying to save brats who have run amok in night clubs. A fight between two studs over a foreign cow has their entire country shaken up and threatened by a gun toting papa who sees no fault in sonna boy, fault only in police, judiciary et al. And the said papa continues in power, retains his parliamentary seat. Blackmail is the buzzword. The highest held to ransom.

* The totally coarse, blatant and utterly undiplomatic way in which a certain minister of state shoots his mouth. A respected, V*P delegate from the UN arrives to assess the situation here and is labelled, loud and clear, 'a terrorist'. If a foreign person, however high in international status, does not sing the country's praise like the kept press does, he is considered anti-the government, anti-Sri Lanka.

* The antics of the monks in Parliament. People laugh derisively at them. Disgrace to say you come to clean the seat of government and then cheat it by selling a car permit or the car itself. Money illgotten whether you give it to charity or develop your temple is money cheated for. And worse. Loud mouthed parliamentarians justify this as a done crime so it is permissible. Shows what little brain power they have!

Why don't we ever learn? Silly question to ask because most of those in power cannot learn - below par IQ, bloated heads, wallowing in self indulgence and bovine stupidity. But cunning is very much in their make-up. Howcome Bangladesh imprisons two former first ladies for corrruption, and the Philippines an ex-Pres? There is every reason to follow suit here, but not even a commission of enquiry is set up. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. And so the circus continues, with not even dry bread to allay the hunger pangs of the masses. And now our collective dignity and self respect is tattered by the very people who should protect them. The brain drain is on - good luck to them. More should follow and those abroad, just stay put there. You may be a second class citizen but better than being a totally powerless sufferer in Sri Lanka, gone not to the dogs but to the buffalo - that cunning, totally unrealiable creature.

Mr President, please wake up before it is too late. Sri Lanka is a failed state. Can you imagine that! Now people hide their heads in utter shame, here and abroad. As a first step to redemption - turrning the clock of corruption back - PLEASE CUT DOWN the size of the followers you take to the UN this year. At least then we will have a glimmer of hope. Relying totally on the army and navy to save our faith in you is not enough.

Utterly Disgusted Saddened Woman

[/quote

Two Thumbs up for you bro.

first of all, unless your a nuclear physicist, please don't justify your need to work abroad. Because unlike the other Lankans living abroad who have contributed to this thread, you are quite ignorant.

How dare you sit there in your makeshift abode and tell us that this gvmt is doing a good job???????

YES IT IS VERY HARD TO FIGHT A WAR AND PROMOTE GROWTH (OBVIOUSLY!).. which kinda makes you ask why the hell we are at war for 22 yrs....? you think if any of the gvmts in Sri Lanka REALLY wanted to, we couldn't achieve some sort of settlement?!?!?!

Just ask any mother who lost her kid to the war, (sinhalease or tamil), and she will tell how good this (or any gvmt) is....

I design jet engines...can you tell me where I can work in Sri lanka? More importantly where I can utilise my skill set in Sri lanka right now? Once I get more experience in different fields in the industry I definetly plan to return to Sri Lanka and contribute to the aviation industry. Whether it is developing the technology or in the airline industry.

People like you cause the downfall of Sri lanka. You just sit on your ar** and bi*** about the state of the country and the people who rule it. I do admit Sri lanka politics is not the best of examples on how to run a country, but things are slowely improving and we need to be patient. Yes the economy has taken a hit, but that is mainly due to the war expendature. And tell me how the hell can we achieve a settlement when the other side doesn't want one?

Blazin, ignorance is bliss dude :) let it go :)

i have no gripe with "arc angel" and in fact i agree with him on some points except the way he was addressing you.

there are many many "jobs" that don't exist in SL right now other than being a nuclear scientist.

that's a very childish statement to make in my humble opinion.

forget jet engines...we don't even make a 2 stroke lawn mover engine just yet :)

And one more thing...

you're just dreaming if you're thinking the country is in this state only due to war cos it's not. war is a huge cost and sadly it's a cost that has be spent in order to maintain territorial integrity and not let a terror outfit break up the country.

But at the same time...skimming off public funds and living a super luxury life with that as the excuse is not the best thing the politicos should be doing.

and you should be ashamed of yourself trying to justify it at least to point by saying it's "slowly improving"...

how would you know that man..we're the ones staying here and most of the forum members can tell you that its not improving...

I design jet engines...can you tell me where I can work in Sri lanka? More importantly where I can utilise my skill set in Sri lanka right now? Once I get more experience in different fields in the industry I definetly plan to return to Sri Lanka and contribute to the aviation industry. Whether it is developing the technology or in the airline industry.

People like you cause the downfall of Sri lanka. You just sit on your ar** and bi*** about the state of the country and the people who rule it. I do admit Sri lanka politics is not the best of examples on how to run a country, but things are slowely improving and we need to be patient. Yes the economy has taken a hit, but that is mainly due to the war expendature. And tell me how the hell can we achieve a settlement when the other side doesn't want one?

Edited by Ripper

Hi Guys,

Well think about this way. (First I'm not working for any politicians. They all are same for me. A bunch of idiots). If we want to elect a new president who should we select. From JVP, well they are a bunch of thieves and liars without any dignity or vision. Ranil, a fool who even didn't know the history of this country. A man who would do anything USA says. A psycho who went mad after loosing so many elections, who would do anything to be president before he close his eyes. Mahinda, well no need to talk.

So what I think is it's choosing the less corrupted person. So I think when looking at the past, Mahinda at least do the war correctly. But it didn't say he is a good leader. But I think he is the best option we have until a better one than him arises.

And we think about the economy. Are we doing what we can do to promote the economy. Yes we are working hard, but is that enough? Yes those idiots are spending the money of public. But only we can take a action against them after every 5 years in a election. And the people that we'll elected will be same like them or be worse.

Say those politicians are corrupting 50% of economy. Which very hardly we can take any action. But rest 50% is in our hand. The main problem in Sri Lankan economy is cost of Imports are grater than the Revenue of Exports. So if we started to buy local product then at least we can try to save the rest 50%.

Just think about it. I'm not talking about a revolution. But just forget Micro cars. How many times are we buying some simple items like soap say Lux although there are so many local soap manufacturers.

How many times are we drink Coke or Pepsi although there are so many local beverage companies.

How many of you have accounts in HSBC although there are so many banks.

How many of you eat bread instead of rice or at least 40% rice value addition.

So if we stop buying imported product and started to buy local product then at least we can save the rest 50%. I'm not a JVP guy or a person who believe in revolutions but at least if we took the corrective actions instead of sit and blaming other or stupid politicians may be we can save the country.

Sri Lanka's second largest money outflow after war is for food. Even salt, dry fish, fish and water are imported. So think about it. Are we keep on blaming those idiots or buy local product and try to save the country. It's your decision.

well, you sitting in your quaint little "jet engine design room" does not give you the right to tell me what I'm stiing on here...

and incase your comprension of grammer is impaired, you'd have noticed that my gripe is with your statements about the war and the gvmt doing a good job....

and as for your comment about b***ing about the country, correct me if i'm wrong, but i didn't see a solution in your post either... just a wishful statement.... and anyway, me being robbend by this gvmt gives me the right to b*tch if I want to, jet boy....

look, truce... this is what happens... we start b*tching to each other... let's just forget it.... sorry if I ofended you, but you really can't say this gvmt is doing a good job... not by any strech of the imagination....

and p.s: yes I know there are many carrer paths that are not affored to Lankan citizens. My carreer of choice included... but some of us wanted to stay here more than leave for a carrer... i'm not saying your wrong, but you can't see it from my point of view...

and Ripper, on the tone of my address, yes, maybe I was out of line... but Blazins comments hit a nerve, and the rest as they say, is history.... ;)

Arc Angel :) yeah buddy let it go :)

All of us want this place to get better and only a few of us see blunders this government is doing and a criticising it.

we all know there's not much of an option in terms of political leadership but that's doesn't mean we should keep quiet about the bad things these guys do...

Thanushka,

let me tell you a little about the whole "buy local products" thing.

most sri lankan manufacturers and products don't have the consumer's interests at heart. people go for other brands for many reasons...

If people are not satisfied with the product promise and the benefit and the whole experience they will change their purchase next time.

don't blame the consumers for not buying local products because local products haven't done enough to win the heart's and minds of the people.

If LUX is your competitor...what is the local lux-competitor product doing to win over the lux believers... Lux has an excellent marketing strategy that's very simple but has worked year on year for decades... what has our guys done

classic example is elephant house beverages...

with proper marketing direction...the beat the coca cola company and to this date they are the market leaders in that category...

blame the players and not the game

well, you sitting in your quaint little "jet engine design room" does not give you the right to tell me what I'm stiing on here...

and incase your comprension of grammer is impaired, you'd have noticed that my gripe is with your statements about the war and the gvmt doing a good job....

and as for your comment about b***ing about the country, correct me if i'm wrong, but i didn't see a solution in your post either... just a wishful statement.... and anyway, me being robbend by this gvmt gives me the right to b*tch if I want to, jet boy....

look, truce... this is what happens... we start b*tching to each other... let's just forget it.... sorry if I ofended you, but you really can't say this gvmt is doing a good job... not by any strech of the imagination....

and p.s: yes I know there are many carrer paths that are not affored to Lankan citizens. My carreer of choice included... but some of us wanted to stay here more than leave for a carrer... i'm not saying your wrong, but you can't see it from my point of view...

and Ripper, on the tone of my address, yes, maybe I was out of line... but Blazins comments hit a nerve, and the rest as they say, is history.... ;)

Congrats for sorting out this little tiff without it getting out of hand! :D makes my life easier.

:D

Arc Angel yeah buddy let it go

All of us want this place to get better and only a few of us see blunders this government is doing and a criticising it.

we all know there's not much of an option in terms of political leadership but that's doesn't mean we should keep quiet about the bad things these guys do...

agreed... :)

Edited by Arc Angel

Anyways, its good to hear the general opinion on the government, I think in this forum it has been established that the general veiw is that Mahinda's government falling short. However this latest opinion poll begs to differ:

http://www.asiantribune.com/index.php?q=node/7649

I think in Colombo people have lost faith in the Rajapaksha regime, however he still has a lot of support from the population who live out of colombo.

Is it because Colombo feels the biggest pain from the down turn in the economy? Are people who live in the outskirts more patriotic and support the war and the cultural and religious stance of the president? Are people in colombo more susceptible to the Anti government propaganda of the UNP? Or does Colombo know whats really going on with corruption and human rights violations?

The problem these days is that we can't trust the media, there are two groups, pro govenrment and anti-government. And you can beleive either because they are both equally as bad as each other. So how do we know what is really going on? Do we know that all these UNP stories about government corruption and deal with the LTTE are actually true? Has the presidents son imported an Aston Martin DB9 using the public's money? Has anyone seen him driving it regularly?

I just think that when we hear rumours and read articles we need to keep this in mind.

If you ask me, i think the Asia-trubune poll might be right. I'm sure there are lots of people in the rural areas that thinik MR is doing a awsome job. but the thing is how infomred are they. This government unlike other governments before it, never stopped its campaigning after the electin ended. it still goes on. government media and other publicity stunts have been giving the impression that the government is working so hard, when they areally aren't. One of my favorite examples is this summer when i was in SL i saw 3 ceremonies held to lay the foundartion stone for the new hambanthota airport. yeah, thats right 3.... say the airport IS hapening, why lay THREE fundation stones?? and on a trip to katharagama, i couldnt help seeing notices, and boards every 100-200 meters along the main road indicating the start of SOME sort of project under the mahinda chinthanaya, but yet, all you see around the board are nothing but shrubs of wild growth... When one sees these one would surely feel that development is hapening all around...

And as for the war, thats a whole new ball game... the list of so-called discrepancies in procurements is growing by the day.. whenever such an iregularity is shown, the governemnt's statement "this is a attempt by the opposition to betray the country and expose information about military hardware to the enemy."

And at the war-front too the governement is doing nothing but publicity... the hieght of this was the celebrartions at indipendence square after the thoppigala battle, one that according to a number of articles i have read has little, or absolutly no military significance. Yet, to an onlooker the celebrations may lok like MRs governemtn won the war!

Under CBKs jombo (we wouldnt have caller her's jumbo if we knew what would be coming our way in a couple of years) cabinent, i read that 12% of total military expenditure was on spent on VIPs... One can only wonder what the figure is now.

And where is all the funding for all these expenses coming from? increased output of governement institutions? (we could only wish).... no it all comes from taxation. What is the governemtn NOT taxing? from a foriegn TV program that airs to a bank account that gives more than 5000 of interest to a car we see on the road. And who does all this belong to? yes, you me and the rest of the population. And the governement has always been so discrete in doing this. Most of the time we dont know its hapening, untill it already has... And with MR buying out anyone who would dare to rasie concern in parliment, with a cabinet post, who else IS there to do something?

so yeah, for sure, people think MR is doing a stand up job, when it is only a show of fiction. Fiction that according to the survey, an unfortunate majority see as reality.

Dilesh

I was thinking i'd be studying today cos of the midterm i have coming up tomorrow, but this sort of topic really hits you right in the gut, and i thought that i really needed to express my view..

Great discussion, at least its nice to see the different views of many Sri Lankan's than reading most fabricated views that appear in the general media each day.

The war the cost of Oil and all other matters are real, but what I feel bad about is that as the general public (most of us) are fighting hard to keep up with the cost of living, a few who are elected to run the country (UNP, SLFP, JVP etc.etc) are having enough funding to spend like some money stream was flowing out of the Diyawanna oya. Citizens of our country are suffuring as they have for as along as anyone can remember. No elected government has come up with a sustainable plan to elevate the living conditions of the commen citizen.

Our neighbour's, specially India and even the other South Asian countries are rapidly growing and expanding while their citizen are gaining even in limited amounts the benefits of the growth. So what I do not understand is why SL cannot even scratch the surface of the development trand in Asia.

We read a lot about the potential we have and the strategic location of the island and the good of our eductation system, but when it comes to delivering the goods that matter we are no where close to anybody who seems to be less in all of the above. Why????

What did SL miss that the others have?

More of our workforce is seeking employment in the Middle East and East Asia in terrible conditions for petty salaries, our young girls and Mothers are going as housemaid for peanut salaries where they do not even get to have a vacation for 3 years, and the numbers are growing each year. Why cannot this workforce be used in SL?? Why are there no jobs produced? If the Government or opporsition does not have a plan for the countries future then who should come up with a plan? World Bank? Asian Development Bank? UN? SAARC? Who???

One thing that we lack in our education system is a leason on strategic planning. Most Sri Lankans do not plan for the future and are unable to plan as we do not know how to plan. May be our elected representatives have the same problem!

GOD HELP US!!

Our beloved motherland....if we are to talk where it is heading to this topic will run into a hellava lot pages..YET..this government will be in power nevertheless and we normal folks would be still complaining and all.. so guys..lets talk about the automative industry shall we!??? :D

Our beloved motherland....if we are to talk where it is heading to this topic will run into a hellava lot pages..YET..this government will be in power nevertheless and we normal folks would be still complaining and all.. so guys..lets talk about the automative industry shall we!??? :D

Very soon we would not have an automotive industry, unless you mean walking or carting :rolleyes: if things go on like this for very much longer.

well, lets tie them both together...righ now, from the window in my office, i can see miles of gridlock traffic.... why????? cos some minister has decided to take his convoy out for a cruise...

Hi Guys,

Well think about this way. (First I'm not working for any politicians. They all are same for me. A bunch of idiots). If we want to elect a new president who should we select. From JVP, well they are a bunch of thieves and liars without any dignity or vision. Ranil, a fool who even didn't know the history of this country. A man who would do anything USA says. A psycho who went mad after loosing so many elections, who would do anything to be president before he close his eyes. Mahinda, well no need to talk.

cant agree more, In early 1980's the killing JVP done is still ppl dnt forget, those days even we dnt know what happend still our parents talk abt it, and specially Attidiya , they kill dozens,

BTW What is the Different Between JVP and LTTE ?

Edited by GihanFX

If you ask me, i think the Asia-trubune poll might be right. I'm sure there are lots of people in the rural areas that thinik MR is doing a awsome job. but the thing is how infomred are they. This government unlike other governments before it, never stopped its campaigning after the electin ended. it still goes on. government media and other publicity stunts have been giving the impression that the government is working so hard, when they areally aren't. One of my favorite examples is this summer when i was in SL i saw 3 ceremonies held to lay the foundartion stone for the new hambanthota airport. yeah, thats right 3.... say the airport IS hapening, why lay THREE fundation stones?? and on a trip to katharagama, i couldnt help seeing notices, and boards every 100-200 meters along the main road indicating the start of SOME sort of project under the mahinda chinthanaya, but yet, all you see around the board are nothing but shrubs of wild growth... When one sees these one would surely feel that development is hapening all around...

And as for the war, thats a whole new ball game... the list of so-called discrepancies in procurements is growing by the day.. whenever such an iregularity is shown, the governemnt's statement "this is a attempt by the opposition to betray the country and expose information about military hardware to the enemy."

And at the war-front too the governement is doing nothing but publicity... the hieght of this was the celebrartions at indipendence square after the thoppigala battle, one that according to a number of articles i have read has little, or absolutly no military significance. Yet, to an onlooker the celebrations may lok like MRs governemtn won the war!

Under CBKs jombo (we wouldnt have caller her's jumbo if we knew what would be coming our way in a couple of years) cabinent, i read that 12% of total military expenditure was on spent on VIPs... One can only wonder what the figure is now.

And where is all the funding for all these expenses coming from? increased output of governement institutions? (we could only wish).... no it all comes from taxation. What is the governemtn NOT taxing? from a foriegn TV program that airs to a bank account that gives more than 5000 of interest to a car we see on the road. And who does all this belong to? yes, you me and the rest of the population. And the governement has always been so discrete in doing this. Most of the time we dont know its hapening, untill it already has... And with MR buying out anyone who would dare to rasie concern in parliment, with a cabinet post, who else IS there to do something?

so yeah, for sure, people think MR is doing a stand up job, when it is only a show of fiction. Fiction that according to the survey, an unfortunate majority see as reality.

Dilesh

I was thinking i'd be studying today cos of the midterm i have coming up tomorrow, but this sort of topic really hits you right in the gut, and i thought that i really needed to express my view..

Great comments mate. This is what the general public miss out and fail to comprehend as Percy takes them on a very patriotic trip. When everyone wakes up........its too late, the dream is gone and we will have been put back many years, while Percy and bros would have made a few more billion $$$. This is the story of our lives :angry:

Hi Guys,

So what I think is it's choosing the less corrupted person. So I think when looking at the past, Mahinda at least do the war correctly. But it didn't say he is a good leader. But I think he is the best option we have until a better one than him arises.

And we think about the economy. Are we doing what we can do to promote the economy. Yes we are working hard, but is that enough? Yes those idiots are spending the money of public. But only we can take a action against them after every 5 years in a election. And the people that we'll elected will be same like them or be worse.

Say those politicians are corrupting 50% of economy. Which very hardly we can take any action. But rest 50% is in our hand. The main problem in Sri Lankan economy is cost of Imports are grater than the Revenue of Exports. So if we started to buy local product then at least we can try to save the rest 50%.

Just think about it. I'm not talking about a revolution. But just forget Micro cars. How many times are we buying some simple items like soap say Lux although there are so many local soap manufacturers.

How many times are we drink Coke or Pepsi although there are so many local beverage companies.

How many of you have accounts in HSBC although there are so many banks.

How many of you eat bread instead of rice or at least 40% rice value addition.

So if we stop buying imported product and started to buy local product then at least we can save the rest 50%. I'm not a JVP guy or a person who believe in revolutions but at least if we took the corrective actions instead of sit and blaming other or stupid politicians may be we can save the country.

Sri Lanka's second largest money outflow after war is for food. Even salt, dry fish, fish and water are imported. So think about it. Are we keep on blaming those idiots or buy local product and try to save the country. It's your decision.

completely agree..the saddest part is we sri lankans dont have an option..atleast untill(if) they finish off the terrorists..what are our options a moronic highclass gay idiot who will give any thing including eelam to prabhakaran if it helps him to come to power and dance around in pretty pink with rst of his posse or a village idiot and his family of 35 who will sell the war to fatten their bellies and to live in a lap of luxury with his corhorts while rest of us suffer..lets not even talk about the so called monks who destroyed whatever remnants of buddhism we had and the blood thirsty so called marxists who will never ever make this country stable enough cos as long as we're fu#$ed and desparate they'll get their votes..so looks like we ordinary people are in btween a rock and a hard place eh??

Great comments mate. This is what the general public miss out and fail to comprehend as Percy takes them on a very patriotic trip. When everyone wakes up........its too late, the dream is gone and we will have been put back many years, while Percy and bros would have made a few more billion $$$. This is the story of our lives :angry:

exactly... I read in some international magazine recently that the Rajapakses control over 70% of the country's budget, yet only 'one' was elected by the 'people'... now where's the democracy in that, one may ask.. sighh...

and btw, what happened with the allegatin that MR paid off prabakaran some Rs.700m to keep the people in the north from voting at the presidencial election?

Honelstly, i remember this being a real big deal a few months ago, but lately i havent seen anything about this (or any inverstigation into it) anywhere on the net..

"If" the accusations ARE true, it'd be extremely ironic, wouldnt it? funding the exact group you want eliminated... and yet speaking such patriotic words.

first of all, I don't agree with the term “failed state”. following is a extract from a world bank report ..

“The challenges that face Sri Lanka in human development are quite different from those in most developing countries. Primary enrollment and literacy, which remain challenges for many developing countries, is near-universal in Sri Lanka. Similarly, basic indicators of health—like life expectancy, maternal health, fertility, infant and child mortality rates and immunization rates—are uniformly high in all parts of the country and across income groups. Good basic indicators in health are in no small measure due to high literacy rates among mothers in Sri Lanka.”

We are far ahead of India. Will India ever say they are a failed state? Then how come we become a failed state ? We might be having a hard time, but it is not a permanent state.

When we start to do the things in our own way we can be a proud nation again. There is a bunch of people who are descending from those people who were brain washed during the colonial period (or raised in such a environment) who think the otherwise. They think all other people those who do not align with their mind set are stupid. On the other hand Ranil W. who once suggested a celebration to mark the 500 years of colonialization is brilliant, for them.

Dr. Gunadasa Amarasekara named these category of people as “thuppahi”. Recently I got to know that the “thuppahi” is the Sinhalised version of a Portuguese word meaning translator. These people are slave of western masters and only know to translate the knowledge created by there western masters.

Good example is our cricket team. During the time that cricket was limited to these translators, they were taught to play like sudda, and while in the field it was absolutely necessary to speak like a sudda (their masters) in English. These people spoke in English in the field, while India and Pakistan used their own language to take the advantage of language. When the game was transfered to the sons of the soil, no one could stop us, we were the best in the world.

when these changes are propagated to the business and academic community, sure, no one can stop Sri Lanka. Overall this is the best government for such a transformation. Until that time let the translators shout with baseless allegations.

In my opinion he's popular outside of Colombo because people outside of Colombo tend to be more gullible with regard to matters relating to the economy. Majority of the population outside of Colombo are not concerned about anything other than their daily needs, not luxuries. Even if the prices get out of hand for them, they fool themselves into believing that its all for a just cause, the war is necessary, etc. Besides, those opinion polls are generally extrapolated, they don't usually survey as many as we'd really need for a clear picture. And lets face it, don't u think the ordinary villager will be a little defensive when some suit from Colombo comes and asks him what he thinks of the government out of the blue..even if he hates it, chances are he will say the government is good.

The reason politicians get corrupted at the highest level is because they lack education, good family background (usually), and so the lure of money and power once in office ruins them. The solution might be to hand over power to some of the honest private sector businessmen or so called upper class citizens. Maybe heads of banks and private companies that have made it big due to the hard work put in by themselves. They have worked it up the hard way, so much so that money personal wealth is not their immediate priority, and they understand that there is no such thing as easy money. Perhaps if they were to treat the country like they do their companies, we might be in a better state.

Here are some top business leaders of the country speaking about brain drain and the talent lost due to this, leading to idiots taking over the regime: http://www.lmd.lk/2007/September/cov3.htm

Maybe we should put some of em in charge.

Edited by SeanD