• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sri Lanka – Failed State, Laughing Stock

Mean Green z28

SeanD, the opinion poll was commissioned by LMD and conducted by TNS Lanka. So it does have some credibility. But I do agree with you about the rural population not being very concerned about the economy. I guess the people in Colombo are used to having the luxuries that come with good economic growth, and thats the reason why the UNP gets a lot of support in Colombo as they have a more capitalist approach.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when these changes are propagated to the business and academic community, sure, no one can stop Sri Lanka. Overall this is the best government for such a transformation. Until that time let the translators shout with baseless allegations.

So your whole argument is based on the premise that because we played good cricket without speaking English on the field, we are going to be a successful state in the global context while not taking note of the other things that make countries successful? If so that's ridiculous... I'm all for the preservation of culture and our unique languages, but I don't think the government's false 'nationalism' fools any intelligent person...why would they stay at the Ritz and bust 8 million a night in New York in that case? Why not take a small delegation and stay with the Sri Lankan Ambassador or something without buying into the western culture that they're supposed to be against?

I don't think any Sri Lankan can speak against colonization. Because every little comfort they enjoy now has been due to colonization. One of the few things that kept out country out of serious economic trouble in past years was the tea industry, and various other exports, all thanks to colonization. There was an idiot senior JVP member who after the tsunami blamed the British government for building railways lines close to the sea...but the moron wouldn't know the benefits of that if it was in a simplified list in front of his nose. All while the head of the JVP is off living the high life in Britain.

If you're so anti-suddha why are you even typing on this forum? I mean surely, Sri Lankans didn't invent the computer so we mustn't bow down to the West and use it right?

Dude, you're just like 98% of the politicians of the past 30 years, a bleeding hypocrite.

Edited by SeanD

I design jet engines...can you tell me where I can work in Sri lanka? More importantly where I can utilise my skill set in Sri lanka right now? Once I get more experience in different fields in the industry I definetly plan to return to Sri Lanka and contribute to the aviation industry. Whether it is developing the technology or in the airline industry.

For all I know U may be designing jet engines or working at a burger joint......

U fail to see the point Arc Angel has put....

Hell who are you to tell us that the things are going to improve ? Do u know what’s going on here....? Sure u have internet access so u get a BIT of news...

WAR- I'm all for it.... But get real man- the simple fact is that BOTH parties don't want it to end.... cause the politicos would really have to work to get voted....

LTTE would not be able to live a nice cusshy life there in UK, Norway, Canada etc..... Just think man... if we were at peace U think they would even have a remote chance of going to a western country...?

I know most Tamils don't want a war.. Hell I've worked with them even ex sea tigers Cause I too was in UK

All members in this forum know a war need money - taxing is needed to fund it... growth is slow..... ( I don't design Jet engines but I got more than basic qualifications in management and economics )

SL does NOT need 110 ministers to manage this pice of tiny land

Ministers don’t' need Rs 75,000/- fuel allowance ( not including 7 vehicles each)

we don't need to have 65 people visiting US for a UN summit and staying in Lavish hotels

Listen just stick to jet engines for now - come to SL and then talk cause things look a whole lot clearer when U live the life here ( talking By experience)

and btw, what happened with the allegatin that MR paid off prabakaran some Rs.700m to keep the people in the north from voting at the presidencial election?

Honelstly, i remember this being a real big deal a few months ago, but lately i havent seen anything about this (or any inverstigation into it) anywhere on the net..

"If" the accusations ARE true, it'd be extremely ironic, wouldnt it? funding the exact group you want eliminated... and yet speaking such patriotic words.

.......And Tamil Selvam has gone out of his way to defend the government that is supposed to be bombarding them everyday. I am utterly shocked that he has come forward to say that they never took any money. Why bother?? I smell a rat ;)

first of all, I don't agree with the term “failed state”. following is a extract from a world bank report ..

“The challenges that face Sri Lanka in human development are quite different from those in most developing countries. Primary enrollment and literacy, which remain challenges for many developing countries, is near-universal in Sri Lanka. Similarly, basic indicators of health—like life expectancy, maternal health, fertility, infant and child mortality rates and immunization rates—are uniformly high in all parts of the country and across income groups. Good basic indicators in health are in no small measure due to high literacy rates among mothers in Sri Lanka.”

We are far ahead of India. Will India ever say they are a failed state? Then how come we become a failed state ? We might be having a hard time, but it is not a permanent state.

When we start to do the things in our own way we can be a proud nation again. There is a bunch of people who are descending from those people who were brain washed during the colonial period (or raised in such a environment) who think the otherwise. They think all other people those who do not align with their mind set are stupid. On the other hand Ranil W. who once suggested a celebration to mark the 500 years of colonialization is brilliant, for them.

Dr. Gunadasa Amarasekara named these category of people as “thuppahi”. Recently I got to know that the “thuppahi” is the Sinhalised version of a Portuguese word meaning translator. These people are slave of western masters and only know to translate the knowledge created by there western masters. .

Good example is our cricket team. During the time that cricket was limited to these translators, they were taught to play like sudda, and while in the field it was absolutely necessary to speak like a sudda (their masters) in English. These people spoke in English in the field, while India and Pakistan used their own language to take the advantage of language. When the game was transfered to the sons of the soil, no one could stop us, we were the best in the world.

when these changes are propagated to the business and academic community, sure, no one can stop Sri Lanka. Overall this is the best government for such a transformation. Until that time let the translators shout with baseless allegations.

And we have ANOTHER one! :rolleyes:

listen mate, freedom of speech may well be everyones right.... but the general idea is that you should use it wisely... which you are patently NOT doing..

what we in this country fail lamentably to understand is, looking backwards and harping crap about our "proud" history that is millenia long is ging to do absolutely NOTHING in the here and now of the 21st century.... all this patriotic nationalistic rubbish is all very well in an election campaign, but as a platform to take a country which is tottering on the brink of becoming a total lost cause and make something of it, it is completely and utterly useless.

when SWRD started the whole "sinhala as the only language" situ in the 50's, he unwittingly set the stage for the mess that we are in now.... as anyone whos even taken a passing look at history will be able to tell you.

the only way this country is going to be anything is to look resolutely forward, embraace progress and most important, find a solution acceptable to all for the ethnic conflict.... only then will we be able to become the amazing place that we well have the capacity to be..... and Stupid Jingoism is certainly NOT how to go about it....

For all I know U may be designing jet engines or working at a burger joint......

U fail to see the point Arc Angel has put....

Hell who are you to tell us that the things are going to improve ? Do u know what’s going on here....? Sure u have internet access so u get a BIT of news...

WAR- I'm all for it.... But get real man- the simple fact is that BOTH parties don't want it to end.... cause the politicos would really have to work to get voted....

LTTE would not be able to live a nice cusshy life there in UK, Norway, Canada etc..... Just think man... if we were at peace U think they would even have a remote chance of going to a western country...?

I know most Tamils don't want a war.. Hell I've worked with them even ex sea tigers Cause I too was in UK

All members in this forum know a war need money - taxing is needed to fund it... growth is slow..... ( I don't design Jet engines but I got more than basic qualifications in management and economics )

SL does NOT need 110 ministers to manage this pice of tiny land

Ministers don’t' need Rs 75,000/- fuel allowance ( not including 7 vehicles each)

we don't need to have 65 people visiting US for a UN summit and staying in Lavish hotels

Listen just stick to jet engines for now - come to SL and then talk cause things look a whole lot clearer when U live the life here ( talking By experience)

Yawn....

Yawn....

BTW I participate in International Space Station program and once in a while go there to fix some really high tech , sophisticated , out of this world stuff. As soon as Sri Lankan deep space missions starts , I will come back and start the Sri Lankan Space Agency here. I looked in the sunday observer for Astronaut vacancies , but didnt find any...

But from 26,000 miles up from Sea , I see Sri Lanka doing very well..As soon as tigers are finished and we start human habitation on Jupiter , SL economy will prosper and the common people will come out of the doldrums there are in..

till then, I will be in some developed country slaving away and doing over the internet situation analysis...

:rolleyes:

BTW I participate in International Space Station program and once in a while go there to fix some really high tech , sophisticated , out of this world stuff. As soon as Sri Lankan deep space missions starts , I will come back and start the Sri Lankan Space Agency here. I looked in the sunday observer for Astronaut vacancies , but didnt find any...

But from 26,000 miles up from Sea , I see Sri Lanka doing very well..As soon as tigers are finished and we start human habitation on Jupiter , SL economy will prosper and the common people will come out of the doldrums there are in..

till then, I will be in some developed country slaving away and doing over the internet situation analysis...

:D

BTW I participate in International Space Station program and once in a while go there to fix some really high tech , sophisticated , out of this world stuff. :

I was there too mate... I took a detour while i was designing the NASA space shuttle. I think i remember you, were you the skinny little runt who was the making tea for everyone?

Edited by Blazin

I was there too mate... I took a detour while i was designing the NASA space shuttle. I think i remember you, were you the skinny little runt who was the making tea for everyone?

Man...apart from a brilliant analytical mind , you got an amazing memory as well...we were real mates werent we ?

...I make tea , you go and serve them to people...remember how we used to log in to net and read stupid polls and judge how well our mother country is doing?

Thank god my working visa expired ...are you still hiding from the INS?

Edited by Warthog

goood one :D

Some people are so full of it……………………..

Man...apart from a brilliant analytical mind , you got an amazing memory as well...we were real mates werent we ?

...I make tea , you go and serve them to people...remember how we used to log in to net and read stupid polls and judge how well our mother country is doing?

Thank god my working visa expired ...are you still hiding from the INS?

good one...

look warthog, just ignore him... i saw an earlier post of his where he says he saw a article online bout how they were building an F1 track in Hambanthota (and he thought it was for real) :D

Edited by Arc Angel

Alright, alright...I lied. I work in a burger bar...and its not even a high end one like Burger King but a real sh*tty, one off kebab joint run by Kurds... And thats even part time.

But I just don't understand why are you guys so aggressive in the forum?

Alright, alright...I lied. I work in a burger bar...and its not even a high end one like Burger King but a real sh*tty, one off kebab joint run by Kurds... And thats even part time.

Look mate..For all I know you could be a brilliant scientist or a Burger king employee. I dont care either way and it doesnt make you a higher man or a lesser man. What you do for a living is not what defines you as a person.

But do be objective in your analysis. Ever growing prices , closed roads , moronic behaviour of the politicians adds to our daily woes and anybody who comes and preach that country is doing well would be piled upon. Rural people might not know any better. But we need to fight the ignorance. Admit that regradless of our brilliant kings and civilization we are a failed state economically and to an extent morally. ( Just check daily sinhala news papers to see the number of multiple murders/rapes etc)

I reckon admitting our faults would be the first step to correcting them rather than just following glorified govt. propaganda.

cos we are sick of this gvmt screwing us,and screwing this country... We are here!!! it is happening to us!!! when people outside make statements to the nature of 'the gvmt is doing a good job', it pi##es us off...

nothing personal bro...

Edited by Arc Angel

Look mate..For all I know you could be a brilliant scientist or a Burger king employee. I dont care either way and it doesnt make you a higher man or a lesser man. What you do for a living is not what defines you as a person.

But do be objective in your analysis. Ever growing prices , closed roads , moronic behaviour of the politicians adds to our daily woes and anybody who comes and preach that country is doing well would be piled upon. Rural people might not know any better. But we need to fight the ignorance. Admit that regradless of our brilliant kings and civilization we are a failed state economically and to an extent morally. ( Just check daily sinhala news papers to see the number of multiple murders/rapes etc)

I reckon admitting our faults would be the first step to correcting them rather than just following glorified govt. propaganda.

well said brother :)

I got to say pretty much the same- Your job is not relevant here …..

I too was under the same impression before coming …. I remember the good times where things were NOT GREAT but livable…. Come couple of months after returning I really started to feel the difference……

It would be good to have all the skilled guys like yourself back….. but face it…. There is a certain amount of shit people can take……

As Arc Angel and Warthog said… we have a proud history …. Sigiriya with it’s marvel engineering so great that top engineers today can’t figure out how it worked.. etc….

But look at these morons we have now ….. can’t even do legislation to accept kids to school…. They’ve screwed up the grade 1 admissions ……

Need I say more.... there a larger picture here... than what you read on the news

cos we are sick of this gvmt screwing us,and screwing this country... We are here!!! it is happening to us!!! when people outside make statements to the nature of 'the gvmt is doing a good job', it pi##es us off...

nothing personal bro...

Im missing something here. Tell me exactly which government didnt screw us PPL. was it SWRD's Govt or was it Dudley's ????????. My memory fails me!!!!!!!!

Dude...I never said I was higher man because of my job. I was countering Arc Angels arugment of:

"first of all, unless your a nuclear physicist, please don't justify your need to work abroad. Because unlike the other Lankans living abroad who have contributed to this thread, you are quite ignorant."

I agree that your job's got nothing to do with it here, but I was making a point that not only nuclear scientists are justified working abroad. I would love to work in Sri lanka but I also want to follow my career path. That was it...I never mentioned my line of work after that. People just jump to conclusions!

I follow the situation in Sri Lanka very closely, and I read from lots of different sources not just govt media. I'm back in Sri lanka at least twice a year (I was there in June) and all my family is still there. so I know whats going on in sri lanka. There are lots of short falls from this government but there are also lots baseless allegations against the government which people take for real. I say they are not guilty unless proven otherwise, and I still maintain that this the best government we've had in over a decade. Think back to JR, Premadasa, Ranil, Chandrika.

So your whole argument is based on the premise that because we played good cricket without speaking English on the field, we are going to be a successful state ...

Not really. This shows their attitude. They just followed blindly what they were asked to do. At most what they expect was, to play like their masters. Not beyond that. Because of this master slave relationship, before they step in to the field they have lost 90% of the game. It is the attitude that matters.

why would they stay at the Ritz and bust 8 million a night in New York in that case? Why not take a small delegation and stay with the Sri Lankan Ambassador

I'm not saying that every thing done by this government is right. But at least Mahinda is not a "translator" while Ranil/Chandrika are absolutely "translators".

I don't think any Sri Lankan can speak against colonization. Because every little comfort they enjoy now has been due to colonization. One of the few things that kept out country out of serious economic trouble in past years was the tea industry, and various other exports, all thanks to colonization.

You are talking with respect to the current situation. If we were not colonialized, there will be no "translators", who drag us behind with their slavery attitude. Think about the Korea, Japan , China , Vietnam, singapore. If you want to know how they have over come their hard time, read about the Confucianism.

If you're so anti-suddha why are you even typing on this forum? I mean surely, Sri Lankans didn't invent the computer so we mustn't bow down to the West and use it right?

I'm not anti-suddha. Of cause I'm working with them side by side. Getting the knowledge from west or east is one thing, slavey attitude toward the west, which was resulted by the colonization is another thing. Compter or wertern knowledge is only a tool to me, to achieve my objective. I'm using computers more than to type letters. I'm a Research and Development

Engineer in control & automation field in a forien country. But I don't believe that they are doing some thing that we can't do. And don't want to bow down to west. It is the attitude that matters.

what we in this country fail lamentably to understand is, looking backwards and harping crap about our "proud" history that is millenia long is ging to do absolutely NOTHING in the here and now of the 21st century....

To develop the country, people need a common vision. Even if you have all the resources and knowledge, "translators" will drag you behind with their slavery mind set. It is the attitude that matters. if history is a crap, I would like to ask you to explore why china, Vietnam, japan, Korea, even India like in this state today.

NOTE: “thuppahi” is the Sinhalised version of a Portuguese word meaning translator. They can only translate the knowledge, created by their masters in the west like slaves.

exactly... I read in some international magazine recently that the Rajapakses control over 70% of the country's budget, yet only 'one' was elected by the 'people'... now where's the democracy in that, one may ask.. sighh...

and btw, what happened with the allegatin that MR paid off prabakaran some Rs.700m to keep the people in the north from voting at the presidencial election?

Honelstly, i remember this being a real big deal a few months ago, but lately i havent seen anything about this (or any inverstigation into it) anywhere on the net..

"If" the accusations ARE true, it'd be extremely ironic, wouldnt it? funding the exact group you want eliminated... and yet speaking such patriotic words.

The Sunday Leader (probably Sep/23 issue) had a really interesting 2-page report on this topic. I'm inclined not to doubt the credibility of it as I used to work for the Leader a few years ago and kind of know what's involved in coming up with such a report and the consequences if it is proved wrong. It ended with a note that said more info about this deal will be published in the coming weeks (just so that I get a balanced dose of news, I read all pro and anti-govt newspapers on Sundays).