• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sri Lanka – Failed State, Laughing Stock

Mean Green z28

Very sad ... because its true ... this is what I hear day in, day out over here. I'm glad someone put them into writing, please try to forward this to whoever you'll can.

Sri Lanka – failed state, laughing stock

I spent a holiday in the US very recently and hung my head in shame whenever Sri Lankans got together over there. Their riducule of matters Sri Lankan and our politicians was bitter, but justified. I returned with a totally despondent feeling and one I've never had before - wanting to go back; leave this wretchd homeland of mine.

Some of the reasons:-

* Wastage of money by the government which is fast ruining the country, actually ruined it already. Our economy is down, down but consider the utter waste on security for all MPs, the tamashas, the luxury cars, an Aston Martin included! (No end to the list)

* The large contingents that taken by the Prez on his trips abroad. Case in point: the record breaking number taken along last year when the Prez addressed the UN. Once our folk dump themselves in those horribly expenisve suites (Waldorf Astoria? Four Seasons?) they scatter only to meet again at the hotel for departure. Rumour had it some even jetted to Las Vegas while spouses and spices (mistresses taken along) went to gape at the Grand Canyon.

* A repetition this time too - of the vast number taken along while the country is getting poorer by the day and the wages of poverty suffered by the masses rise.. Politicians have a glorious time at the expense of the citizens of Sri Lanka. What use this vast number taken abroad? The Prez's way of saying 'thank you for being loyal to me and keeping me in power.'? Consider the amount of good that can be done to the country with the millions wasted on a jamboree for loyals: schools and hospitals equipped, roads repaired ...

* The impunity with which people in power run amok trying to save brats who have run amok in night clubs. A fight between two studs over a foreign cow has their entire country shaken up and threatened by a gun toting papa who sees no fault in sonna boy, fault only in police, judiciary et al. And the said papa continues in power, retains his parliamentary seat. Blackmail is the buzzword. The highest held to ransom.

* The totally coarse, blatant and utterly undiplomatic way in which a certain minister of state shoots his mouth. A respected, V*P delegate from the UN arrives to assess the situation here and is labelled, loud and clear, 'a terrorist'. If a foreign person, however high in international status, does not sing the country's praise like the kept press does, he is considered anti-the government, anti-Sri Lanka.

* The antics of the monks in Parliament. People laugh derisively at them. Disgrace to say you come to clean the seat of government and then cheat it by selling a car permit or the car itself. Money illgotten whether you give it to charity or develop your temple is money cheated for. And worse. Loud mouthed parliamentarians justify this as a done crime so it is permissible. Shows what little brain power they have!

Why don't we ever learn? Silly question to ask because most of those in power cannot learn - below par IQ, bloated heads, wallowing in self indulgence and bovine stupidity. But cunning is very much in their make-up. Howcome Bangladesh imprisons two former first ladies for corrruption, and the Philippines an ex-Pres? There is every reason to follow suit here, but not even a commission of enquiry is set up. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. And so the circus continues, with not even dry bread to allay the hunger pangs of the masses. And now our collective dignity and self respect is tattered by the very people who should protect them. The brain drain is on - good luck to them. More should follow and those abroad, just stay put there. You may be a second class citizen but better than being a totally powerless sufferer in Sri Lanka, gone not to the dogs but to the buffalo - that cunning, totally unrealiable creature.

Mr President, please wake up before it is too late. Sri Lanka is a failed state. Can you imagine that! Now people hide their heads in utter shame, here and abroad. As a first step to redemption - turrning the clock of corruption back - PLEASE CUT DOWN the size of the followers you take to the UN this year. At least then we will have a glimmer of hope. Relying totally on the army and navy to save our faith in you is not enough.

Utterly Disgusted Saddened Woman

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

her complaints are valid, but typical of the response of those capable people who's inaction has led to the present state our country is in: Wanting to/Leaving the country in search of personal gain instead of seeking out like minded individuals in order to put the country back in order. Its the brain drain and the often total slavery to capitalism that has led to people who go abroad for education to remain there continue to slave for a foreign society where nobody really gives a damn about them and they're fooling themselves into thinking they're actually doing the right thing. In the meantime, the groups with the lowest intelligence in the country continue to fill their shoes and take over politics. I am not against migration and green cards etc. per se, in my interaction with a lot of people who have migrated or hold residency in other countries i get the impression that they don't really give a damn about their country aside from bitching about the situation to feel good about themselves. I'm not saying everyone is like that, in fact this is forum is a good example where people like Meangreen and others living abroad are still genuinely concerned about their country and will do anything to help it. i just wish those who go abroad for studies would at least consider coming back and doing something good. I also am studying abroad, but have found like minded individuals among my school mates studying allover the world who plan to go back and get rid of this disgusting order currently 'running' the country.

One could say everyone has the 'right' to migrate or work abroad and seek personal wealth if they want to - and no disagreement there, but its the every man for himself attitude that has led to the impending downfall of the western world (specially the US, anyone with a background in economics will know wat im referring to here). in the meantime their children grow up being coconuts (brown on the outside and 'white' on the inside) with no real knowledge of their own culture, the inability to speak their home languages (very few countries in the world have such a high rate of trilingual or even bilingual people as Sri Lanka.) Culture is lost in the pursuit of material gain, while we bitch and moan about how the political system sucks, but nobody capable of doing something is actually able to do so. Sorry for this disorganized ranting, but its a matter I feel strongly about. your mileage may vary.

Edited by SeanD

SeanD... Bravo brother...very well said :)

100% agree with you :jumping-smiley-013:

her complaints are valid, but typical of the response of those capable people who's inaction has led to the present state our country is in: Wanting to/Leaving the country in search of personal gain instead of seeking out like minded individuals in order to put the country back in order. Its the brain drain and the often total slavery to capitalism that has led to people who go abroad for education to remain there continue to slave for a foreign society where nobody really gives a damn about them and they're fooling themselves into thinking they're actually doing the right thing. In the meantime, the groups with the lowest intelligence in the country continue to fill their shoes and take over politics. I am not against migration and green cards etc. per se, in my interaction with a lot of people who have migrated or hold residency in other countries i get the impression that they don't really give a damn about their country aside from bitching about the situation to feel good about themselves. I'm not saying everyone is like that, in fact this is forum is a good example where people like Meangreen and others living abroad are still genuinely concerned about their country and will do anything to help it. i just wish those who go abroad for studies would at least consider coming back and doing something good. I also am studying abroad, but have found like minded individuals among my school mates studying allover the world who plan to go back and get rid of this disgusting order currently 'running' the country.

One could say everyone has the 'right' to migrate or work abroad and seek personal wealth if they want to - and no disagreement there, but its the every man for himself attitude that has led to the impending downfall of the western world (specially the US, anyone with a background in economics will know wat im referring to here). in the meantime their children grow up being coconuts (brown on the outside and 'white' on the inside) with no real knowledge of their own culture, the inability to speak their home languages (very few countries in the world have such a high rate of trilingual or even bilingual people as Sri Lanka.) Culture is lost in the pursuit of material gain, while we bitch and moan about how the political system sucks, but nobody capable of doing something is actually able to do so. Sorry for this disorganized ranting, but its a matter I feel strongly about. your mileage may vary.

Edited by Ripper

after reading the comments of the Utterly Disgusted Saddened Woman, I found myself wondering if I had made a mistake in wanting to stay in this country of mine... True, politicians are corrupt, cops are imberciles, and pretty much all facilities are crap....

but, I find often find solace in my choice, especialy on those nights when a bunch of buds meet up for a drink under the stars on a sandy beach... or when we drive for just two or three hours and go from blistering heat to the freezing cold...

our country is beautiful, and I speak as a true Sri Lankan... I know I'm being robbed by this gvmt, but still, you have only two choices, run and hide, or stay and (at least try to) fight...

So thanks SeanD, for letting me know that there are a few other nuts like us out there... Who logic-defiantly choose to stay on home soil.

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/070930/News/news0005.html

This is really the behaviour of small people trying to appear big by spending money.

I'm one of the nuts who want to stay here and try to work it out too. I don't see how, but you gotta be here to even make a start.

well said!! glad to see that im not alone in thinking this.....

however, the circus by the river has got to go if we're to have any sort of chance though....

I was in UK and Japan for few years and could have easily stayed there if I wanted. When I was in those lands I was neither afraid nor shamed to tell that I am a Sri Lankan. The respects shown towards Sri Lankans are much greater than other Asian countries like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and China or any other nation. They didn’t treat like yet another crazy Asian. Sri Lankans are well respected and well treated. And we proved that by all means.

The guys who saw the material world wanted to stay back stayed. But some of us came back. In some ones eyes we could be some crazy nuts. Let it be... If all of us are gonna be like that Utterly Disgusted Saddened Woman hiding our heads in shame we would not have a land to say this is my mother land. Think what if our forefathers thought like that what could have happened by now.

True, our politicians are brainless and corrupt; cops are stupid corrupt (most). But why we bow our heads and leave for those morons to ruin our country. Raise your head and show the world, those morons does not mirror the whole nation. We are one brave proud nation. Lets start by raising our heads proudly.

Hi Guys,

Its been a wile that I got on A/L, but this topic really hit me.

I luv this country and that’s why I came back. I am not saying that SL was not a corrupted place some time back ,just not to the current extent. We all luv this country but there is going to be a limit any human can take.

I am sad to say this but I am getting sick of what these politicians are doing to our country and lets face it there isn’t much we can do about it.

R

Hi Guys,

Its been a wile that I got on A/L, but this topic really hit me.

I luv this country and that’s why I came back. I am not saying that SL was not a corrupted place some time back ,just not to the current extent. We all luv this country but there is going to be a limit any human can take.

I am sad to say this but I am getting sick of what these politicians are doing to our country and lets face it there isn’t much we can do about it.

R

well, I don't know bro, but if nothing is done about this soon, we won't have a country to stay in...

maybe if the people got sick enough, we can do another myanmar over here.... wonder if it'll serve any purpose though...

after reading the comments of the Utterly Disgusted Saddened Woman, I found myself wondering if I had made a mistake in wanting to stay in this country of mine... True, politicians are corrupt, cops are imberciles, and pretty much all facilities are crap....

but, I find often find solace in my choice, especialy on those nights when a bunch of buds meet up for a drink under the stars on a sandy beach... or when we drive for just two or three hours and go from blistering heat to the freezing cold...

our country is beautiful, and I speak as a true Sri Lankan... I know I'm being robbed by this gvmt, but still, you have only two choices, run and hide, or stay and (at least try to) fight...

So thanks SeanD, for letting me know that there are a few other nuts like us out there... Who logic-defiantly choose to stay on home soil.

Right on! Having lived overseas, it was the small things i missed,, the beaches, the drives out Colombo, the family and friends. True, SL is crap in many ways...but its OUR crap. I don't know about others, but I stay here and go down with the ship if I have to. No where like home! Failed state or not!

Very sad ... because its true ... this is what I hear day in, day out over here. I'm glad someone put them into writing, please try to forward this to whoever you'll can.

Sri Lanka – failed state, laughing stock

I spent a holiday in the US very recently and hung my head in shame whenever Sri Lankans got together over there. Their riducule of matters Sri Lankan and our politicians was bitter, but justified. I returned with a totally despondent feeling and one I've never had before - wanting to go back; leave this wretchd homeland of mine.

Some of the reasons:-

* Wastage of money by the government which is fast ruining the country, actually ruined it already. Our economy is down, down but consider the utter waste on security for all MPs, the tamashas, the luxury cars, an Aston Martin included! (No end to the list)

* The large contingents that taken by the Prez on his trips abroad. Case in point: the record breaking number taken along last year when the Prez addressed the UN. Once our folk dump themselves in those horribly expenisve suites (Waldorf Astoria? Four Seasons?) they scatter only to meet again at the hotel for departure. Rumour had it some even jetted to Las Vegas while spouses and spices (mistresses taken along) went to gape at the Grand Canyon.

* A repetition this time too - of the vast number taken along while the country is getting poorer by the day and the wages of poverty suffered by the masses rise.. Politicians have a glorious time at the expense of the citizens of Sri Lanka. What use this vast number taken abroad? The Prez's way of saying 'thank you for being loyal to me and keeping me in power.'? Consider the amount of good that can be done to the country with the millions wasted on a jamboree for loyals: schools and hospitals equipped, roads repaired ...

* The impunity with which people in power run amok trying to save brats who have run amok in night clubs. A fight between two studs over a foreign cow has their entire country shaken up and threatened by a gun toting papa who sees no fault in sonna boy, fault only in police, judiciary et al. And the said papa continues in power, retains his parliamentary seat. Blackmail is the buzzword. The highest held to ransom.

* The totally coarse, blatant and utterly undiplomatic way in which a certain minister of state shoots his mouth. A respected, V*P delegate from the UN arrives to assess the situation here and is labelled, loud and clear, 'a terrorist'. If a foreign person, however high in international status, does not sing the country's praise like the kept press does, he is considered anti-the government, anti-Sri Lanka.

* The antics of the monks in Parliament. People laugh derisively at them. Disgrace to say you come to clean the seat of government and then cheat it by selling a car permit or the car itself. Money illgotten whether you give it to charity or develop your temple is money cheated for. And worse. Loud mouthed parliamentarians justify this as a done crime so it is permissible. Shows what little brain power they have!

Why don't we ever learn? Silly question to ask because most of those in power cannot learn - below par IQ, bloated heads, wallowing in self indulgence and bovine stupidity. But cunning is very much in their make-up. Howcome Bangladesh imprisons two former first ladies for corrruption, and the Philippines an ex-Pres? There is every reason to follow suit here, but not even a commission of enquiry is set up. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. And so the circus continues, with not even dry bread to allay the hunger pangs of the masses. And now our collective dignity and self respect is tattered by the very people who should protect them. The brain drain is on - good luck to them. More should follow and those abroad, just stay put there. You may be a second class citizen but better than being a totally powerless sufferer in Sri Lanka, gone not to the dogs but to the buffalo - that cunning, totally unrealiable creature.

Mr President, please wake up before it is too late. Sri Lanka is a failed state. Can you imagine that! Now people hide their heads in utter shame, here and abroad. As a first step to redemption - turrning the clock of corruption back - PLEASE CUT DOWN the size of the followers you take to the UN this year. At least then we will have a glimmer of hope. Relying totally on the army and navy to save our faith in you is not enough.

Utterly Disgusted Saddened Woman

do u work? ok if you do look at your company. There is a MD,GM,CEO,managers,asst.managers etc. SL is bigger than a company and we need ppl to manage it. this jumbo cabinet alegations are rather idiotic when the country is going there must be ppl to manage it. the perks which the ministers get are justifiable as they are serving the country, isnt ur GM get perks too?

do u work? ok if you do look at your company. There is a MD,GM,CEO,managers,asst.managers etc. SL is bigger than a company and we need ppl to manage it. this jumbo cabinet alegations are rather idiotic when the country is going there must be ppl to manage it. the perks which the ministers get are justifiable as they are serving the country, isnt ur GM get perks too?

:blink: you dont seem to be going anywhere with your ideas dude.

So glad to see there are so many like minded and smart people who will stick by their land no matter what. I hear plans are afoot to create a new movement to change the direction of this country, beginning with a web project. I'm sure we can all get involved in that. Trust me, if people come together and really work, I am 100% sure that our country will be a totally "developed" nation (not merely in consumer culture, but in important things such as values and morals) within the next 20 years.

Ayubowan, Vanakkam!

No, actually, he's trying to say that the perks outlined in the article Pericles linked us to are justified because GMs of the private sector get perks too.

Dude, there's a difference between "serving" the country and actually WORKING for it. Have you seen the way CEOs of private sector companies work? Perhaps they are slaves to the corporate culture, but that aside, 99% of them deserve every perk they get because they actually work for something they believe in with 100%, even if it means putting in 14 hour work days. I really don;t mind what private citizens do with their money if they earn it the right way and pay their taxes (though nowadays if you are a Muslim or Tamil businessman you might get abducted based on the amount of taxes you pay). Just wish more of them would try to assume the leadership of the country too. But Compare that to a minister, how much do they work? 14 hours a year?

look at all the roads,trains,increased busses in the country and funding for great victories in the north east. these are not easy things to manage

It isn't the politicians who do any of these things, they are more an impediment and cause delays in getting things done. As for the great (somewhat hollow) victories in the North East, as if the politicians were responsible for that :rolleyes:

Nope. Same problem as the parliment. Right to free speech and all that jazz.

But this whole govt gig is in the hand of very knowledgeable people. As you can see, the foreign MINISTER has been canvassing votes from people who have no vote.

Have you gone to see the doctor yet? Coz according to Dr. Mervyn, guys of our age should be assaulting people in restaurants over former girlfriends. Or so I gather.

look at all the roads,trains,increased busses in the country and funding for great victories in the north east. these are not easy things to manage

I am looking at the roads, trains and busses. This must be one of those "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" things. And this beholder really needs spectacles!

WEED ... I feel like you're attacking me from your post, is that what you wanted to do, or is that a generalized statement? I just posted up what I recieved and hear day in, day out over here in SL whenever SL'ans meet.

But, as far as your statement goes, here's what I've heard ... Leaders of other countries only travel with their spouse and two bodyguards to address the UN for days on end. But, the leader of SL brings half the country with him when he only stands up there for 5 minutes asking of support for his country ... one gets to thinking of the motive of their journey.

WEED ... I feel like you're attacking me from your post, is that what you wanted to do, or is that a generalized statement? I just posted up what I recieved and hear day in, day out over here in SL whenever SL'ans meet.

But, as far as your statement goes, here's what I've heard ... Leaders of other countries only travel with their spouse and two bodyguards to address the UN for days on end. But, the leader of SL brings half the country with him when he only stands up there for 5 minutes asking of support for his country ... one gets to thinking of the motive of their journey.

dont get worked up MeanGreen, if you read Weed's posts in the past, you'll realize that he's not exactly in the mental status as most of us are in.. like peri said freedom of speach says hecant be kicked out:) do what most of us do, stop acknowledging his comments..

yeah mate, he's what you would call a politico's g#l koll#... just ignore him...

sorry admin, I know my warn ratings gonna go higher for this, but we were having a really meaningful discussion up until this 'weed' loony started his antics...

Congrats ash. You said it well. I couldn't have say much better.

I was in UK and Japan for few years and could have easily stayed there if I wanted. When I was in those lands I was neither afraid nor shamed to tell that I am a Sri Lankan. The respects shown towards Sri Lankans are much greater than other Asian countries like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and China or any other nation. They didn’t treat like yet another crazy Asian. Sri Lankans are well respected and well treated. And we proved that by all means.

The guys who saw the material world wanted to stay back stayed. But some of us came back. In some ones eyes we could be some crazy nuts. Let it be... If all of us are gonna be like that Utterly Disgusted Saddened Woman hiding our heads in shame we would not have a land to say this is my mother land. Think what if our forefathers thought like that what could have happened by now.

True, our politicians are brainless and corrupt; cops are stupid corrupt (most). But why we bow our heads and leave for those morons to ruin our country. Raise your head and show the world, those morons does not mirror the whole nation. We are one brave proud nation. Lets start by raising our heads proudly.